• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT21| Robben learns to score in finals three years late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning

Banned
It's bollocks.

Ducker affirms that we are pushing for Cesc/Thiago. Cesc seems determined to paddle around the La Liga baby pool, though.
I've given up hope of Cesc returning to the epl for any team this summer. So I hope Ancelotti fires Madrid up to have a cracker season next year and Cesc have another poor one where the fans give him shit so he can come back to the epl where he belongs next summer.

It will be painful watching him for United but that's preferable to watching the best years of his career disappear playing for that pos club who don't appreciate him.

I've given up hope of Cesc returning to the epl for any team this summer. So I hope Ancelotti fires Madrid up to have a cracker season next year and Cesc have another poor one where the fans give him shit so he can come back to the epl where he belongs next summer.

It will be painful watching him for United but that's preferable to watching the best years of his career disappear playing for that pos club who don't appreciate him.

He gives them nothing to appreciate tbf, other than filling an easy role in the team that could be replicated by dozens of other players.

Lightning

Banned
He gives them nothing to appreciate tbf, other than filling an easy role in the team that could be replicated by dozens of other players.
Who's fault is that? They don't play him regularly in his proper position.

Arsenal should buy Fellaini and play him as a striker then abuse him when it doesn't work out. #Barcelona.

Who's fault is that? They don't play him regularly in his proper position.

Arsenal should buy Fellaini and play him as a striker then abuse him when it doesn't work out. #Barcelona.

Its half and half. They don't play him in his best position, and he doesn't do anything to even try and stand out above the other players on the pitch.

confuziz

Banned
I think we will lose Mertens, Toivonen, Strootman and Lens this transfer window. Im not too sad though, we need fresh blood and we can use the money to buy proper defenders.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Manchester United's target Marchisio will see rejected from Juventus his request of wages rise, according to tomorrow Gazzetta edition

Fuck you guys, stop quoting him. He can't even write in proper English.

1-This is all based on something he said DAYS ago in BRAZIL. So not really breaking news or worthy of underlining it.
2-It's media speculation

Again, if anyone (without exception) wants to leave, they can leave. I'm not emotionally attached to football players. With that being said, he's not leaving.

Arnie

Wait, we've beaten Arsenal to Mignolet?

And we've got the ball rolling on the MKH?

Good morning of transfer activity.

Elsewhere you duffers can keep moaning about Strootman and Ronaldo because some Twitter ITK seems convinced.

Salazar

Yurt going all Kid From The Bicycle Thief on us

Arnold - Darren Can not unreasonably points out that the Independent and Banned Paper have been fed the same Ron Ron blarney by the club.

Wilbur

Banned
Wait, we've beaten Arsenal to Mignolet?

And we've got the ball rolling on the MKH?

Good morning of transfer activity.

Elsewhere you duffers can keep moaning about Strootman and Ronaldo because some Twitter ITK seems convinced.

Bit premature, Arnold.

Salvadora

The Highbury Stand ‏@HighburyStand 2h
Told Today That A Man Went In To A Bookies And Put £2k On Rooney To Arsenal And The Worker Said "What u Doing" And He Just Smiled #afc
Damning evidence if I ever heard it.

Wilbur

Banned
So there was an actual conversation between two grown adults that went like this:

Man: can I put two thousand pounds on Rooney to join Arsenal please?
Worker: what u doing
Man: *smiles, leaves*

Blablurn

3,w=650,c=0.bild.jpeg

finally a new photo from pep

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
This is (literally) how La Gazzetta dello Sport (and others) came up with that rumour:

*A few weeks ago*

Marotta: Marchisio is not on the market. Unless he asks us to leave.

*two days ago*

Marchisio: I want to stay, but it takes two to tango.

*Today*

Gazzetta: WHOA, still no comment from Juve on 'it takes two to tango'?? Well clearly they don't want him anymore then.

Ignoring the fact that Marotta can CALL Marchisio anytime he fucking wants. They don't have to communicate with each other on your front page.

Journalism how does it work

Wilbur

Banned
How good is the Mig? He's decent with his feet, right?

Excellent shot stopper, one of the very best in the league. Good positionally as well, and from what I've seen corners dont particularly faze him. Would let in far less goals if he didnt have a weak defence in front of him. From what I've seen he's decent with his feet; not DDG levels but far above someone like Hart who just kicks it anywhere with wild abandon. I really like Mignolet. He or Begovic would be incredible signings for someone like Arsenal desperately in need of a keeper, but buying Mig and relegating him or Reina to the bench (even if it's only a year until Valdes goes) would be tough.

Hixx will be able to give you moar

Feorax

Excellent shot stopper, one of the very best in the league. Good positionally as well, and from what I've seen corners dont particularly faze him. Would let in far less goals if he didnt have a weak defence in front of him. From what I've seen he's decent with his feet; not DDG levels but far above someone like Hart who just kicks it anywhere with wild abandon. I really like Mignolet. He or Begovic would be incredible signings for someone like Arsenal desperately in need of a keeper, but buying Mig and relegating him or Reina to the bench (even if it's only a year until Valdes goes) would be tough.

Hixx will be able to give you moar

I'm wondering whether, with the news Valdes is staying on, this might be a transitional season for goalkeepers. Valdes stays another year, Reina goes to Barca next year, and Mignolet gets a year to settle in before becoming our first choice next year.

Wilbur

Banned
I'm wondering whether, with the news Valdes is staying on, this might be a transitional season for goalkeepers. Valdes stays another year, Reina goes to Barca next year, and Mignolet gets a year to settle in before becoming our first choice next year.

I don't really feel like Mig deserves to sit on the bench for a year to 'settle in'; he's far too good for that, he's come off a far more impressive year than your keeper, and if he is good enough then he should settle in quickly at a club like Liverpool.

Arnie

this is such a beautiful thing to read.

i'm proud of you, arnie.
To be fair I just wanted to lure my sweetness into a gushing post about him so I could feel good.
That's what I think, too. Although he'll be fully aware of our goalkeeping situation, and what Reina's planning to do, so would he agree to be number 2 in World Cup year?

Either way I'm happy. I've said it before but Reina was way behind our required consistency last season.

Now get the Armenian #basedAyregod

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
AIC President Damiano Tommasi confirms TV companies are testing miniature cameras on players’ shirts.

The experiment is planned by Sky Sport Italia and could eventually allow spectators to have a chest-eye view of the game.

“This idea of a miniature camera on the players’ shirts could bring fans the sensation of being increasingly inside the match,” said Players’ Association chief Tommasi.

“It is something I have heard about and I know they are evaluating whether it is possible to achieve, but there is a problem of reception.

“Besides, I also think we’d need to consider how this fits in with the rules of the game.”

If the camera were to include a microphone, it could also prove decisive in disciplinary matters.

Messi

To be fair I just wanted to lure my sweetness into a gushing post about him so I could feel good.

That's what I think, too. Although he'll be fully aware of our goalkeeping situation, and what Reina's planning to do, so would he agree to be number 2 in World Cup year?

Either way I'm happy. I've said it before but Reina was way behind our required consistency last season.

Now get the Armenian #basedAyregod

Like he has a chance of playing in the world cup

Good price for Mig that.

Can't believe 2 papers have actually used United announcing Ronaldo's name last as some kind as evidence of Fergie's charm offensive. Hahaha.

I'd rather Thiago than Cesc. I doubt we can convince either to come though.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Mignolet is vastly better than Reina, if he joins Liverpool he is doing it to take the number one jersey. There is no way he would sign if he wasn't going to straight to the first XI. Reina has shown in the last couple of seasons that he needs to be replaced. Mig can make a couple of silly judgments when he has to come off his line but that's about it.

Paulinho to Spurs seems genuine, I shall be watching the Confederations Cup with great interest.

Sandro Paulinho
Dembele

13/14 PL Champions midfield right there.

Hixx

Mignolet has pulled off more unbelievable saves in 18 months than I can remember any SAFC keeper doing in their whole career at Sunderland in my lifetime.

If he comes for a cross, 95% of the time he will get it. One on one's he's the best in the league for me, very reminiscent of Gordon who was similarly good at the one on ones. His kicking has improved drastically in this last year or so too, he's happy enough to do daft dragbacks in his box as well.

His major drawback is his communication which can lead to some hairy moments when you'll be screaming for him to come and get a long ball... luckily for us O'Shea covered for this shortfall a lot of times.

He's worth more than £10m. And if he goes to sit on Liverpool's bench I will lose all respect for him and for Rodgers (not that I have a great deal of respect for him anyway) for putting him there.

I like Mignolet and I'd like to see him do well if he leaves SAFC so I hope Arsenal match the bid.

Arnie

Mignolet has pulled off more unbelievable saves in 18 months than I can remember any SAFC keeper doing in their whole career at Sunderland in my lifetime.

If he comes for a cross, 95% of the time he will get it. One on one's he's the best in the league for me, very reminiscent of Gordon who was similarly good at the one on ones. His kicking has improved drastically in this last year or so too, he's happy enough to do daft dragbacks in his box as well.

His major drawback is his communication which can lead to some hairy moments when you'll be screaming for him to come and get a long ball... luckily for us O'Shea covered for this shortfall a lot of times.

He's worth more than £10m. And if he goes to sit on Liverpool's bench I will lose all respect for him and for Rodgers (not that I have a great deal of respect for him anyway) for putting him there.

I like Mignolet and I'd like to see him do well if he leaves SAFC so I hope Arsenal match the bid.
He's got his heart set on hearing YNWA from the dugout.

But in all seriousness I'd rather him take the number one spot. Reina's a liability. Would swap him for Thiago just to spite the lemon-gang.

It's becoming a bit annoying seeing other Liverpool fan completely ignoring Reina's pretty much impeccable form between February and May and completely writing him off. Saying you'd rather have Mignolet, fine. Acting like he's definitely a sub-standard liability who's beyond redemption stinks to me in the same way that Chelsea fans having a go at Rafa when he left did. I expect that shite from other fans, but it feels like everything Reina has done for us has gone out of the window and its become acceptable to treat him like an incompetent never-was. Distinctly Real Madridish mindset.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I expect that shite from other fans, but it feels like everything Reina has done for us has gone out of the window and its become acceptable to treat him like an incompetent never-was. Distinctly Real Madridish mindset.

Marchisio's only redeeming quality is his blue eyes

Wilbur

Banned
It's becoming a bit annoying seeing other Liverpool fan completely ignoring Reina's pretty much impeccable form between February and May and completely writing him off. Saying you'd rather have Mignolet, fine. Acting like he's definitely a sub-standard liability who's beyond redemption stinks to me in the same way that Chelsea fans having a go at Rafa when he left did. I expect that shite from other fans, but it feels like everything Reina has done for us has gone out of the window and its become acceptable to treat him like an incompetent never-was. Distinctly Real Madridish mindset.

He was pretty good for three months, yeah. Far better than he was for the rest of the season, but I think that Liverpool were a far better team come the end of the season and Reina didn't particularly stand out to me, just that his form had improved. Mignolet is the better keeper now, and I think bringing him in and keeping either of the two on the bench is a mistake.

Hixx

He was pretty good for three months, yeah. Far better than he was for the rest of the season, but I think that Liverpool were a far better team come the end of the season and Reina didn't particularly stand out to me, just that his form had improved. Mignolet is the better keeper now, and I think bringing him in and keeping either of the two on the bench is a mistake.

2-4-3-2!!

Messi

I really like Reina

For me, Mignolet would in all probability be an improvement, but with Reina's form in those last months and priorities elsewhere (centreback especially,) I'd be happy enough going into next season with him as first choice as long as we improve on Jones.

We're a bit fucked for bringing in squad players since we missed out on Europa League qualification, and I fear it will stall the development of Suso and, to a lesser degree, Sterling

For me, Mignolet would in all probability be an improvement, but with Reina's form in those last months and priorities elsewhere (centreback especially,) I'd be happy enough going into next season with him as first choice as long as we improve on Jones.
It's about the opportunity though. Mignolet seems set to move this summer for £10m. Next summer it may be that there aren't good keepers available for that price.

If Rodgers likes Mignolet and thinks he can be the #1 for the next 5/6 years than that move has to be made now.

I agree though I don't think Reina is that bad at all nowadays. But it seems inevitable he will leave sooner than later now and his form is slipping. Feels like the right time to make a change.

Clegg

I think I need to unfollow @corrienationstreet.

He tweets too much guff about Ronaldo and then retweets all his followers saying how reliable he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom