• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT21| Robben learns to score in finals three years late

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

The thing I can't wrap my head around is that Moyes has had plenty of opportunities to win trophies like the FA cup or League cup and he's never won a thing – Everton are perpetual bottlers when it comes down to the do-or-die games. I mean I can understand because I know Moyes and his capabilities at this point, but what I can't understand is why United would hire a manager who can't motivate his players.

United has never, ever shown mental fragility under Ferguson. The only time I've ever seen them look genuinely frazzled was the loss to City two years back. You look at how this team performs when the pressure is off and it's not great. Shipping 5 goals to West Brom, losing to Chelsea. To me this shows that Ferguson instilled the winning spirit in that team and its his leadership that gets them pushing on and often performing better and better as the match goes on and pressure mounts, often playing beyond the normal level of individual players.

Can Moyes do this? Well, his record certainly doesn't suggest that he can. I agree with those who say the United team is underrated, and it's entirely possible they win the title again this year. But on the other side of the coin I think City, Chelsea and Spurs will all be looking at the Moyes appointment and thinking that this is their best chance to climb up the table.

holy shit
frnXxyM.gif

Here's another one.

ibmaGaASDtiOiU.gif

Salazar

But on the other side of the coin I think City, Chelsea and Spurs will all be looking at the Moyes appointment and thinking that this is their best chance to climb up the table.

Hard to give a fuck what Spurs think.

And City and Chelsea would be fucking tricky to get over next season anyway.

GorillaJu

Hard to give a fuck what Spurs think.

And City and Chelsea would be fucking tricky to get over next season anyway.

Well, regardless of what they'll achieve Spurs are going to come into the next season with big ambitions and they did force you to drop points on both your meetings this year.

Salazar

Well, regardless of what they'll achieve Spurs are going to come into the next season with big ambitions and they did force you to drop points on both your meetings this year.

Zr3Q5gx.gif

Fuck ambitions, however big. Zola and the Pozzos were talking about Europe yesterday.

Bit harsh to say Moyes can't motivate his players.

Not going to lie though, I do find it a bit funny they replaced on of the best managers of all time with someone that was considered not good enough by all the other top clubs in the league.

Exams cleared out allright for my mum. So glad.

/Livejournal Age

========================================================

Regarding Real, I think we will be lucky to get top 4 and 2nd round of UCL next year if we don't get Bale and Gundogan/Backcentral

Noirulus

They were dealing with the Glazers back then.

Levy is on another level.

Your mob are dealing with Levy. Would get more out of Heynckes with that kind of money.

Let's all remember that we gypped Levy in the Modric deal. Only paid a shocking 27M Euros Mwahahaha!

Although I think we won't be as lucky this time because Florentino will be forced to play his hand. Everybody already knows its his election year and he definitely won't be pinching pennies.

Clegg

Bit harsh to say Moyes can't motivate his players.

Not going to lie though, I do find it a bit funny they replaced on of the best managers of all time with someone that was considered not good enough by all the other top clubs in the league.
Apparently Fergie had a massive say in the appointment of Moyes and the Glazer's deferred to him.

Salazar

Er.

He wasn't going to get the Liverpool job, if we're including them as a top club.

The Chelsea job is Roman's gift, and Roman is a mentalist. Moyes might well have turned it down, in any case.

City didn't think they would sack Mancini, or had Pep in mind.

The Arsenal job is keeping the CL money flowing, and Wenger is adequate for that. The board reveres him.

If the negative judgement against him arises largely from him not getting the vacant Spurs job, then fucking lol.

I don't know where we go from there, in terms of "potential PL appointments that would have validated Moyes's professional credentials for Spurs fans".

Wes

venison crêpe
Suddenly finding it hard to sleep considering whats going on elsewhere on the forum. Hoping for good news.

Apparently Fergie had a massive say in the appointment of Moyes and the Glazer's referred to him.

I'm sure he did. Obviously the criteria for this appointment were different from any other. Taking that into consideration, he was probably the candidate with the least risk.

Clegg

Been reading that Moyes is very hands on in training and runs the sessions himself along with the coaches. Bit if a change from Fergie who became less involved with daily training as he got older.

Might also explain why Muelensteen might be leaving. He'd be losing some influence with Moyes taking over.

MPW

In the end, Barcelona reportedly agreed to pay Santos and those partners around €28m, plus a further €30m to the player and close to €9m in agents' fees. A down payment of €10m had already been made in January 2011. Neymar will sign a five-year contract on a salary of €7m a season. In total, that means the package is worth more than €100m.

Others have questioned whether Neymar, who has scored 20 goals in 32 appearance for Brazil, is as good as he appears and if he will adapt sufficiently quickly to the European game.

Then there is the issue of his ability to combine with Messi, around whom Barcelona have built their team. Asked about the signing of the Brazilian, Johan Cruyff, the former Barcelona player and coach, and long a critic of Rosell, said: "Messi and Neymar? Two captains on one boat doesn't work."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/26/neymar-barcelona-santos-move

i guess barca has no money to buy world class defenders now?

Er.

He wasn't going to get the Liverpool job, if we're including them as a top club.

The Chelsea job is Roman's gift, and Roman is a mentalist. Moyes might well have turned it down, in any case.

City didn't think they would sack Mancini, or had Pep in mind.

The Arsenal job is keeping the CL money flowing, and Wenger is adequate for that. The board reveres him.

If the negative judgement against him arises largely from him not getting the vacant Spurs job, then fucking lol.

I don't know where we go from there, in terms of "potential PL appointments that would have validated Moyes's professional credentials for Spurs fans".

Moyes was at Everton quite a while. Not really fair to restrict your reasoning to the past few years.

Edit: Should point out as well that I'm not saying he was rightly considered not good enough.

Clegg

I'm sure he did. Obviously the criteria for this appointment were different from any other. Taking that into consideration, he was probably the candidate with the least risk.
I think United were looking for someone who had proven himself capable of building a team over a number of years, Moyes has definitely done that. The only problem is his lack of success. He brought Everton to a high level of performance but couldn't push them through to the elite level of the top 4 sides. He also seems to be pretty good at developing players. Jagielka, Howard, Fellini, Baines,etc have all improved under his tenure.

Mourinho was an obvious candidate but there seems to have been opposition from certain United figures.

FootballFan

In the end, Barcelona reportedly agreed to pay Santos and those partners around €28m, plus a further €30m to the player and close to €9m in agents' fees. A down payment of €10m had already been made in January 2011. Neymar will sign a five-year contract on a salary of €7m a season. In total, that means the package is worth more than €100m.

Others have questioned whether Neymar, who has scored 20 goals in 32 appearance for Brazil, is as good as he appears and if he will adapt sufficiently quickly to the European game.

Then there is the issue of his ability to combine with Messi, around whom Barcelona have built their team. Asked about the signing of the Brazilian, Johan Cruyff, the former Barcelona player and coach, and long a critic of Rosell, said: "Messi and Neymar? Two captains on one boat doesn't work."

Why do Madrid fans keep trying to convince themselves it was a bad signing. He cost less than Kaka, automatic success guaranteed already.

Since when does salary get included into transfer price? So Ronaldo cost Madrid 148m Euros to buy from Man United? Didn't know that.

Most marketable athlete in the world and one of the best players in the world. Sorry Madrid missed out on him, maybe next time.

Why do Madrid fans keep trying to convince themselves it was a bad signing. He cost less than Kaka, automatic success guaranteed already.

Since when does salary get included into transfer price? So Ronaldo cost Madrid 148m Euros to buy from Man United? Didn't know that.

Most marketable athlete in the world and one of the best players in the world. Sorry Madrid missed out on him, maybe next time.

Why do you keep saying that?

Bolt, Messi, Federer, Djokovic, Lebron, Fake Ronaldo, and even retired Beckham are more marketable than him

Besides, rumor has it that Neymar will keep his image rights.

rodvik

Been reading that Moyes is very hands on in training and runs the sessions himself along with the coaches. Bit if a change from Fergie who became less involved with daily training as he got older.

Might also explain why Muelensteen might be leaving. He'd be losing some influence with Moyes taking over.

If I was a football manager I would deffo be hands off in training. Also wear a suit to the games, none of that tracksuit lark.

My pregame talk "Knock it long to the big man, keep it tight at the back."

Salazar

Moyes was at Everton quite a while.

Aye, he seems to have liked it there.

Liverpool job never on.
United job never previously on.
A move to City wasn't a step up until recently. The club was financially all over the place before the Abu Dhabi money, and Keegan, Sven, and Hughes weren't exactly glittering, unimpeachable choices.
He wasn't in with a shout for the Chelsea job in the Roman era, which came on the heels of Ranieri success. Hard to hold that against him.
Arsenal were never going to sack Wenger while he was still good. Arsenal might not even sack Wenger if he gets genuinely bad.
Newcastle have floated around Everton in the table. They might have gone for Moyes, but they're a wee club in the North-East. Hard to imagine that being the lightning bolt appointment that seals it for anybody.
Spurs were mid-table, and then it seemed (or Harry was able to make it seem) like Redknapp was the man. Fair enough - Harry goes and Moyes might have been vaguely in the mix for the job - or, more probably, have wanted, not unreasonably, to be in the mix for it.

Edit: no worries.

Clegg

If I was a football manager I would deffo be hands off in training. Also wear a suit to the games, none of that tracksuit lark.

My pregame talk "Knock it long to the big man, keep it tight at the back."
That would make you Giovanni Trappatoni.

DominoKid

Most marketable athlete in the world and one of the best players in the world.
Sorry Madrid missed out on him, maybe next time.

he's got to pan out first at Barca in a HUGE way to be the most marketable. don't gas yourself.
i think he'll be great but expecting him to be a megastar is asking to be disappointed.

FootballFan

Why do you keep saying that?

Bolt, Messi, Federer, Djokovic, Lebron, Fake Ronaldo, and even retired Beckham are more marketable than him

Besides, rumor has it that Neymar will keep his image rights.

Not my words. It's just a fact.

I just find it odd that Madrid fans keep talking and bringing up his price. He is a 21 year old wonder-kid who is very marketable(happy?).

You guys made a declining shitty Brazilian player the second most expensive signing of all time. Kaka, in case you forgot who, since most Madrid fans forget he even plays for them.

Ibra for Eto'o + 40m, Chygrinskiy for 30m, Carroll for 35m, Torres 50m, Hulk 50m etc. those are laughable. Neymar for anything around 60m is a great deal, especially in comparison to those.

Koko

Banned
Think I prefer Ogbonna to Barzagli in FUT.

Nah man. Barzagli is class him and Chiellieni are great together. Even though I sold Chiellieni for Ogbonna before the market crash to avoid a loss on him and to have coins in order to afford TOTS Lamela & Shaarawy.

feel

Not my words. It's just a fact.

I just find it odd that Madrid fans keep talking and bringing up his price. He is a 21 year old wonder-kid who is very marketable(happy?).

You guys made a declining shitty Brazilian player the second most expensive signing of all time. Kaka, in case you forgot who, since most Madrid fans forget he even plays for them.

Ibra for Eto'o + 40m, Chygrinskiy for 30m, Carroll for 35m, Torres 50m, Hulk 50m etc. those are laughable. Neymar for anything around 60m is a great deal, especially in comparison to those.
Btw just google "neymar marketable" and come back with the results.

Jesus the jealousy is ridiculous.

ie5JlsI4DYwsl.gif

Meier

Nah man. Barzagli is class him and Chiellieni are great together. Even though I sold Chiellieni for Ogbonna before the market crash to avoid a loss on him and have coins to afford TOTS Lamela & Shaarawy.
I use Chiellini and Barzagli and then once one gets down to a 92-93 or so in fitness I swap in Ogbonna. This is my first year playing FUT so I didn't know about the market crash or whatever but it doesn't matter. I will never have enough coins to afford a guy that goes for much more than 20k let alone 100k.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

Johann Cruyff also said Barça were wasting their time with Ronaldinho back in 2003, the dude is a legend but hardly someone who's always right.

Salazar

Gary Lineker ‏@GaryLineker 12h
Might not be the worst idea for Palace, MUFC and Zaha himself to have another season in South London.

Fuck off, Lineker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom