• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT21| Robben learns to score in finals three years late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning

Banned
A Bayern player should absolutely, 100% be given the Ballon D'Or. I don't think an argument can even be made otherwise.

Muller is my pick. Lahm, Ribery, Robben would all be contenders. Muller is just something more special this year.
As good as Muller's performed Messi has been better. Bayern perform better as a team but Messi has played better, how he destroyed AC Milan at the Nou Camp almost single handed.

It's hard to look past him.

Nyx

Not only PSV Eindhoven, but also Ajax want Utrecht talent Mike van der Hoorn.

van_der_hoorn.jpg

GorillaJu

I disagree on the grounds that historically, the Ballon D'Or has been awarded to players who accomplish things, not just those who are the best footballers.

You guys are right though, Messi will win it :p

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Muller:

Barcelona: Scored THREE goals (he broke the deadlock) and assisted one.
Arsenal: Involved in two goals. (1G 1A)
Juve :( : Scored the goal that killed the tie and was MOTM.
BVB: His movement combined with Robben (they switched positions for the two goals) was brilliant. Though Jupp should be the one getting the credit here I guess.

21 goals overall and 13 assists. (Bayern's top scorer in the CL)

-

Messi again? He's and will forever be the best player but the Ballon D'Or should be awarded to the MVP.

Kenka

Messi will win it.

Yes. As said, the people think Bayern's success has more to do with their organization than the talent of their individuals. Although both are at the same level, the former appears to the eye of the observer as the more obvious reason of their stunning performances.

But let's talk about Ribéry or Müller: wouldn't it be time to reward someone who puts all his talent in service of the team ? Ronaldo in particular is so flashy, he may annoy his partners. He is potentially both a blessing and a curse.

Yes. As said, I think the people think Bayern's success has more to do with their organization than the talent of their individuals. Although both at the same level, the former appears to the eye of the observer as the more obvious reason of success.

But let's talk about Ribéry or Müller: wouldn't it be time to reward someone who puts all his talent in service of the team ? Ronaldo in particular is so flashy, he may annoy his partners. He is potentially both a blessing and a curse.

That's stupidly hard to quantify though. For instance, for Ribery, passing to Mandzukic 12 yards from goal is a better option than shooting from 20. For Ronaldo, shooting from 35 yards is a better option than giving Khedira a sitter.

MPW

Muller:

Barcelona: Scored THREE goals (he broke the deadlock) and assisted one.
Arsenal: Involved in two goals. (1G 1A)
Juve :( : Scored the goal that killed the tie and was MOTM.
BVB: His movement combined with Robben (they switched positions for the two goals) was brilliant. Though Jupp should be the one getting the credit here I guess.

21 goals overall and 13 assists. (Bayern's top scorer in the CL)

not gonna get him the votes needed

cr7 scored the most goals in CL
messi scored the most goals overall
Bale had a breakout season

cr7 and bale didn't win a trophy but messi did

messi is gonna win it

GorillaJu

Yes. As said, I think the people think Bayern's success has more to do with their organization than the talent of their individuals. Although both at the same level, the former appears to the eye of the observer as the more obvious reason of success.

Well sure but neither Ribery nor Muller would be the first to get that kind of recognition. Zidane, Laudrup, Scholes and Iniesta are all such examples of players who have a rather selfless game, but still get recognized as fantastic footballers.

cr7 and bale didn't win a trophy but messi did

messi is gonna win it

Bales breakout season was two years ago I'd say, and goal tallies in a competition that you get knocked out of in the semi-finals are a useless metric.

The argument that Heynckes is largely responsible for Bayern's success is a good one, but the same could be extended to any top team. It was Pep Guardiola who put Messi in the middle and inverted the strikers, which is the system he thrived in.

DominoKid

Messi's going to win the Ballon D'or. Don't waste your brain power trying to argue a case for someone else because it just ain't happening.

GorillaJu

Messi's going to win the Ballon D'or. Don't waste your brain power trying to argue a case for someone else because it just ain't happening.

Okay, okay, sorry. Let's use our brain power to talk about rubbing our dicks raw, or, should United play Kagawa - RVP - Rooney, or Rooney - Kagawa - RVP?

^not meant to sound as facetious as it appears.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
If any bayern player deserves to win the balon d'or it's javi martinez he turned bayern from cl final chokers to a possible treble winning side. he was a rock during the cl finals, completely overshadowed schweinsteiger in the midfield. during the semis he owned xavi and iniesta.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

CR7 won nothing.
Messi will get the golden boot.
Breakout season means fuck all.

Kenka

That's stupidly hard to quantify though. For instance, for Ribery, passing to Mandzukic 12 yards from goal is a better option than shooting from 20. For Ronaldo, shooting from 35 yards is a better option than giving Khedira a sitter.
I lol'd.
Well sure but neither Ribery nor Muller would be the first to get that kind of recognition. Zidane, Laudrup, Scholes and Iniesta are all such examples of players who have a rather selfless game, but still get recognized as fantastic footballers
The tragic thing is that only Zidane got the ballon d'or among these players.
Let's be honest, Messi will win it and it's not bad either. But I would like to see three Bayern players under the top 10 and Weidenfeller get the award for best goalkeeper of the season.
If any bayern player deserves to win the balon d'or it's javi martinez he turned bayern from cl final chokers to a possible treble winning side. he was a rock during the cl finals, completely overshadowed schweinsteiger in the midfield. during the semis he owned xavi and iniesta.
"Overshadowing" is a poor choice of words. Schweinsteiger still has grip over the defence midfield transition. Martinez is in a slightly more attacking position, and thus is higher profile. And let's not forget Luiz Gustavo who is an absolute cracker at this position too.
As long as Bayern have Martinez, Gustavo and Schweini in their ranks, they will stay the dominant defensive team in the world.

dc89

I had a dream last night.

That Platini, Gill and even Rummage handed the CL over to Kompany and Pellegrini to lift. They're faces were a picture. I dunno what Rummage was doing there, but it was sweet.

I think I've had a premonition - this is Kompany'a destiny.

Kenka

I had a dream last night.

That Platini, Gill and even Rummage handed the CL over to Kompany and Pellegrini to lift. They're faces were a picture. I dunno what Rummage was doing there, but it was sweet.

I think I've had a premonition - this is Kompany'a destiny.
He knows he should come to Bayern.

Bayern have world class players everywhere but at central defense, and even then their midfielders and fullbacks are so good at covering, the CBs aren't put under too much pressure

#notfair

dc89

According to AS, Jesus Navas wants a move to Real Madrid but Sevilla want to do a deal with City.

Come on Txiki. Don't let me down.

Gambit

I am also fully expecting Messi to win and I won't even mind. It really annoyed me in 2010, though. That shoud have been Xavi, Iniesta or Sneijder.

Personally, I'd hope for Müller, though. But even Robben has a better chance than he does. He just has a higher name-recognitian.

Just read some statement from Lewandowski's management again: Honestly, please keep him Dortmund. He is a fantastic player but if he surrounds himself with that kind of management then I really question his character.

I'd rather keep Pizza and the Mario Bros.

rodvik

As much as Bayern are the new cunt team to hate, one of them absolutely deserves to win the balon d'or. They steam rolled their league and the champions league not by a little bit either.

Although if one non Bayern player blew me away this season it would have to be Lewandowski, amazing player, work rate, finishing, tackling, passing. Just amazing.

DominoKid

I am also fully expecting Messi to win and I won't even mind. It really annoyed me in 2010, though. That shoud have been Xavi, Iniesta or Sneijder.

Personally, I'd hope for Müller, though. But even Robben has a better chance than he does. He just has a higher name-recognitian.

Just read some statement from Lewandowski's management again: Honestly, please keep him Dortmund. He is a fantastic player but if he surrounds himself with that kind of management then I really question his character.

I'd rather keep Pizza and the Mario Bros.

Lewandowski to Bayern is basically now a matter of when and not if, right? I wish he would stay w/ Dortmund too, but I was operating under the assumption that it was a foregone conclusion.

Pachimari

Quotes from Florentino Perez today:

Florentino Pérez: "Everybody knows I speak with all the media. But I do it in private"
Florentino Pérez: "There are journalists that want to have a greater influence on RM than they should have"
Florentino Pérez: "Unfortunately the situation on the 3 years I wasn't here was not good and I had to come back"
Florentino Pérez: "Mourinho has not asked a euro (for ending the contract). He has already said that and I'm saying it now"
Florentino Pérez: "I don't know if Karanka will leave or stay"
Florentino Pérez: "Mourinho's departure is of mutual agreement. Nobody has to pay nobody"
Florentino Pérez: "I've never heard anybody say that Casillas leaks"
Florentino Pérez: "Cristiano is our best player with difference. He has had an exemplary behavior"
Florentino Pérez: "All of our players speak wonders to me about Mourinho"
Florentino Pérez: "José Mourinho has taken us to our rightful place. In all his years we've reached CL semifinals"
Florentino Pérez: "We want Zidane to lead our sporting project for the next four years"
Florentino Pérez: "The coach and Zidane will decide Kaká's future"
Florentino Pérez: "Kaká arrived 4 years ago alongside Benzema and Cristiano. Between these players we've increased our income in 30%"
Florentino Pérez: "If somebody wants Coentrão they'll have to pay the clause on his contract"
Florentino Pérez: "Falcao is a very good player, but I've heard he's signing with Monaco"
Florentino Pérez: "I think Isco is a great player but we have a lot of other players in his position"
Florentino Pérez: "Carvajal is coming to Real Madrid. He's one of our own"
Florentino Pérez: "Mourinho hasn't done any damage to the club's image. What happens is that when he makes a mistake it transcends globally"
Florentino Pérez: "When Mourinho makes a mistake he apologizes for it"
Florentino Pérez: "Around Real Madrid untrue stories are created"
Florentino Pérez: "Real Madrid is so grand that a lot of people want to become famous at the expense of the club"
Florentino Pérez: "Cazorla? We have Özil, who is very hard to substitute"
Florentino Pérez: "there is the thought of two great signings and also promoting some of the cantera kids"
Florentino Pérez: "Zidane does not want Jesé to go away"
Florentino Pérez: "There has not been any offers from any club about any player. We have not spoken with anybody from Juventus"
Florentino Pérez: "I like Klopp, but his players are kids and not Real Madrid's"
Florentino Pérez: "Mourinho will be remembered for his work"
Florentino Pérez: "I think Toril is spectacular, he wants to remain in the cantera"
Florentino Pérez: "A lot of your journalist partners have hurt Casillas more than helping him"
Florentino Pérez: "The club thinks Casillas is the best GK in the world, but we can't intervene on the coach choices"
Florentino Pérez: "Barcelona's media helps Barça. Madrid's media does not help Real Madrid"
Florentino Pérez: "Cristiano is the best in the world and I want to build around him a champion Real Madrid"
Florentino Pérez: "All the coaches have the same amount of power. What changes is each personality"
Florentino Pérez: "Replacing Xabi Alonso will not be easy and that will be the future trouble of Real Madrid"
Florentino Pérez: "There are things that I dislike, like the pressure some want to have over this club"
Florentino Pérez: "This year some of the media have gone too far with us"
Florentino Pérez: "Mourinho has always wanted to protect the players"
Florentino Pérez: "The greatness of Real Madrid is its independence"
Florentino Pérez: "Neymar is a magnificent player. I could've sign him if the conditions did not alter the club's ecosystem"
Florentino Pérez:"[Neymar]We had to pay his club, his father, an investers fund. Adding the tax expenses it would have cost us more than €150 million"

- I guess Isco could go to Manchester City.

- Two great signings? Gareth Bale and Cavani I would assume? But Bale is the face for Premier League next season, so maybe Rooney?

- I like that Juventus haven't made an offer for Higuaín, hopefully he stays.

- I want Jesé to be one of the canteranos who gets promoted.

Gambit

Lewandowski to Bayern is basically now a matter of when and not if, right? I wish he would stay w/ Dortmund too, but I was operating under the assumption that it was a foregone conclusion.

It seems to be. But all the information are coming from his management. Bayern hasn't said anything (at least not officially) and Dortmund claim they haven't received a transfer request. So I am beginning to wonder if his management is playing both sides against each other for maximum pay (and agent pay-off).

All in all, I'd rather he stay put.

Lightning

Banned
Quotes from Florentino Perez today:

- I guess Isco could go to Manchester City.

- Two great signings? Gareth Bale and Cavani I would assume? But Bale is the face for Premier League next season, so maybe Rooney?

- I like that Juventus haven't made an offer for Higuaín, hopefully he stays.

- I want Jesé to be one of the canteranos who gets promoted.
Casillas best gk in the world. I like this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom