• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT21| Robben learns to score in finals three years late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunchbox

Banned
Gary Lineker ‏@GaryLineker 12h
Might not be the worst idea for Palace, MUFC and Zaha himself to have another season in South London.

Fuck off, Lineker.

linekers another shearer level anyonebutunited bitter cunt who couldnt win anything in his life

he should go lock himself up with jamie redknapp and carragher and polish eachothers non existing medals while watching Zaha lift the league trophy

Think I prefer Ogbonna to Barzagli in FUT.

yup, same here. always go for speed over quality in FIFA. ogbonna + chiellini is an amazing pairing. ogbonna is a 79 but it makes no sense because he is a beast. physical attributes trump all others in this shitty game.

this is also why i have armero as my LB, even though he is only a 78 he is fast as shit.

Phil Neville is actually taking over from Rene as first team coach.

I don't understand..

To be fair, Moyes will take the training sessions himself, unlike Ferguson who had to delegate more. Rene wouldn't be running things like he was, regardless. I guess that youth development offer was so he could keep being chief of his own fiefdom.

yup, same here. always go for speed over quality in FIFA. ogbonna + chiellini is an amazing pairing. ogbonna is a 79 but it makes no sense because he is a beast. physical attributes trump all others in this shitty game.

this is also why i have armero as my LB, even though he is only a 78 he is fast as shit.

Same goes for NIF Muriel up front he is fantastic.

I do tend to play him with a slower striker to lower the sweat factor, SIF Osvaldo, Milito, Klose.

GorillaJu

Bit harsh to say Moyes can't motivate his players.

Not going to lie though, I do find it a bit funny they replaced on of the best managers of all time with someone that was considered not good enough by all the other top clubs in the league.

I don't think it's harsh given how long he's been there. He's not once won at Anfield, he's got 0 trophies despite the team appearing in several cup semi finals or finals, he's got an awful record against top teams.

His team got trounced 3-0 in the FA cup semis by Wigan. How does a good manager let this happen on such a consistent basis?

Salazar

Eh, Arsenal hover in the league and sputter along in cups, winning fuck-all - spending a sight more money to do so than Everton.

And everyone eats embarrassing cup defeats. I don't know why Everton not getting over the line is somehow particularly awful.

Zabojnik

I don't think it's harsh given how long he's been there. He's not once won at Anfield, he's got 0 trophies despite the team appearing in several cup semi finals or finals, he's got an awful record against top teams.

His team got trounced 3-0 in the FA cup semis by Wigan. How does a good manager let this happen on such a consistent basis?

Well, when you put it like that ... United am doomed.

Why do people pretend Ferguson doesn't exist anymore though? Won't he still be an integral part of United's management?

Pachimari

Florentino Perez have had his speak.

- He will bring back Carvajal.
- He want to sign the biggest players, and that Isco is one of them.
- We could have signed Neymar but it would be difficult as we would have to pay €150 million.
- He wants Zidane to lead the project for the next 4 years.

Zabojnik

Florentino Perez have had his speak.

- He will bring back Carvajal.
- He want to sign the biggest players, and that Isco is one of them.
- We could have signed Neymar but it would be difficult as we would have to pay €150 million.
- He wants Zidane to lead the project for the next 4 years.

Exciting times ahead. Nothing on who the new manager's gonna be? Also, why should I be excited about this Carvajal?

Lightning

Banned
Eh, Arsenal hover in the league and sputter along in cups, winning fuck-all - spending a sight more money to do so than Everton.

And everyone eats embarrassing cup defeats. I don't know why Everton not getting over the line is somehow particularly awful.
What a comparison. Good going there chief.

I'm sure Everton fans enjoyed European nights.... Oh wait.

tri_willy

as long as barca's game is built around messi, neymar will just be another one of his assist bitches. cant see him outperforming messi

Koko

Banned
Ogbonna everytime he is an absolute monster.

You cunts are just pace abusers like most of the players :p

Pachimari

Exciting times ahead. Nothing on who the new manager's gonna be? Also, why should I be excited about this Carvajal?
He has had a break out season at Bayer Leverkusen, especially in the first half of the season with many assists for a right back.

He didn't want to talk about a manager until next week.

I assume he will announce Ancelotti on June 3 if nobody else is running for presidency.

Lightning

Banned
Well, you do.

Arsenal are the poster-boys for putting along without winning things. I dunno how it's a black mark against Moyes but not Wenger.
it is a black mark against Wenger though or have you not heard the discontent from the fans? Media bring it up over and over again? Wenger has still achieved higher than and more consistent than Moyes though and Wenger also has Invincibles, FA cups, Premier Leagues, Doubles on his CV.

Moyes at this point in time has none of that.

GorillaJu

Well, you do.

Arsenal are the poster-boys for putting along without winning things. I dunno how it's a black mark against Moyes but not Wenger.

Well you'll not find me giving excuses for Arsenal either. Though they do have the remarkable ability to stay in the top 4 on a yearly basis despite not winning any silverware. That's an enviable position to be in to the other 87 English clubs below them.

Wenger also had a great record to his name for quite a while as Lightning just said.

Zabojnik

Find Giovinco, lol.

600451_516405491739830_876334507_n.jpg

jtb

Banned
I think Moyes is a good manager and United have too strong a squad and too much money for him to really spectacularly fail (ie. drop out of the top 4). that's hardly a mark against Moyes though; he brings stability and knowledge of the league so he'll be fine. whether he can push on and make a dent in Europe or win the league again right away, we'll see, but I think he'll do well enough domestically.

Salazar

Hanging shit on Moyes as an underachiever relative to resources and opportunities is daft.

Lightning said:
Moyes at this point in time has none of that.

Aye. He did have to winch Everton up from the bottom half, and damned close to the actual bottom, of the table. Having a sniff of Europe and silverware is startling progress. It's not a masterwork, but characterising his tenure as one of nagging deficiency is bogus.

jtb

Banned
jtb, forget about Moyes.

What about Mignolet and this Grenier we are linked with? Also not sure where our striker is coming from.

Mignolet is great. 10m for a long term solution to the keeper problem? Shit, should've been done last summer with Lloris but better late than never.

Grenier plays in Ligue 1 so that can't be a good sign. And his youtube highlight reels don't exactly make it clear where he plays? Winger? Attacking midfield? We're already ridiculously stacked in those positions, even if players like Gervinho leave (and he won't because no one wants to buy him) so... I'm not sure why we're chasing him when we've got bigger problems. Like a striker or a holding midfielder. But still, I don't mind—if you don't want to spend big on proven talent (as Wenger clearly won't), then you gotta gamble. Sometimes you win, sometimes you get Chamakh.

Linius

Nah I try and have balance, gotta have a bit of pace it is FIFA after all!

I do use 41212 which is a bit noob'ish but it is great for that league.

No shame in that. I mostly work with pace and walking by a few defenders here and there.

I still hate it that I hardly ever get goals from a long cross. Need a bigger/stronger CF I guess.

Lightning

Banned
Mignolet is great. 10m for a long term solution to the keeper problem? Shit, should've been done last summer with Lloris but better late than never.

Grenier plays in Ligue 1 so that can't be a good sign. And his youtube highlight reels don't exactly make it clear where he plays? Winger? Attacking midfield? We're already ridiculously stacked in those positions, even if players like Gervinho leave (and he won't because no one wants to buy him) so... I'm not sure why we're chasing him when we've got bigger problems. Like a striker or a holding midfielder. But still, I don't mind—if you don't want to spend big on proven talent (as Wenger clearly won't), then you gotta gamble. Sometimes you win, sometimes you get Chamakh.
Lyon wants Gervinho. We could do a swap deal for Grenier or something like that, I'd be cool with that. Mignolet makes me happy, I really hope we pull it off and get him. He will be a great signing for us.

From Turin. Giovinco, Quaglia, Matri, Vucinic. Special offer "2 for 1", get 'em while they're hot.
lol. Only if you agree to take Santos, Gervinho, Vermaelen and Szczesny!

MPW

Five breakout players of the season 2012-13 http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/thescoutsnotebook/id/360?cc=5901

Name: Dani Carvajal
Club: Bayer Leverkusen
Position: Defender
Nationality: Spanish

After impressing for Real Madrid's Castilla side last season, Dani Carvajal moved to the Bundesliga with Bayer Leverkusen in an attempt to continue his development at a higher level. It would appear, though, that Real Madrid are already regretting his release, with reports continuing to link the Spaniard with a return to the Bernabeu.

Carvajal's contract at Leverkusen means that Real Madrid are able to recapture him this summer for a fee in the region of €6.5 million. While that would represent a €1.5 million loss for the club, it is a price many would consider worth paying for the rising full-back star. With Real's current right-back Alvaro Arbeloa drastically out of form, Carvajal's performances in Germany have begun to resonate all the more profoundly at his former club.

The 21-year-old Spaniard is a modern full-back, skilled in defence and ever willing to join the attack. He has been a contributor of several assists in the Bundesliga this season, pushing forward down the right flank, while always remaining aware of his responsibilities. He may still, on occasion, be caught out of position, but has improved in this respect as the season has progressed.

Returning to the Bernabeu will be a challenge for the young full-back, but one that he is capable of succeeding at. Carvajal is combative and determined in defence, and is reasonably good aerially for a player of just 5-foot-8. Given his outstanding displays this campaign, and impressive attitude, it would be little surprise to see Real Madrid splash out to recapture his services this summer. He is simply too good to be allowed to slip away.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
No shame in that. I mostly work with pace and walking by a few defenders here and there.

I still hate it that I hardly ever get goals from a long cross. Need a bigger/stronger CF I guess.

I use Boateng as CAM and punt up field with Vidal/Pogba/DeRossi he can usually bring it straight down.

Works with the wings also, Balo rules in the box for me.

A Bayern player should absolutely, 100% be given the Ballon D'Or. I don't think an argument can even be made otherwise.

Muller is my pick. Lahm, Ribery, Robben would all be contenders. Muller is just something more special this year.

No, the best player in Europe over the 12 months between award ceremonies should win the Balon d'Or. That would be Messi. Rather than partaking in mental acrobatics to convince yourself that he doesn't deserve it because you're bored of him winning it every time, just sit back and appreciate how ridiculously good he is

MPW

A Bayern player should absolutely, 100% be given the Ballon D'Or. I don't think an argument can even be made otherwise.

Muller is my pick. Lahm, Ribery, Robben would all be contenders. Muller is just something more special this year.

think bayern players will cancel each other out

at the end it will be bale, cr7 and messi (winner, deserved or not)

Razor554

It will be hard for voters to pick one superior player in Bayern to give it to. It was much easier to pick Sneider in 2010 inter side and he still did not get it.

Why should a Bayern player win it? The award is for the best player not for the best player on the best team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom