• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT21| Robben learns to score in finals three years late

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article on Monaco

The twist in the Monaco case is that the club that has just won Ligue 2 enjoys an added advantage over its rivals by dint of being based in a tax haven, a status that it has always had but which French clubs now find particularly grating in view of the soaring fiscal demands placed on them. The sense of unfairness led the clubs, via the Ligue Professionnel de Football (LFP), to take the unprecedented decision in March of restricting admission to Ligue 1 to clubs whose headquarters is located in France for tax purposes. This would force Monaco, participants in the French league for nearly a century, to change their status or forefeit the place in the top flight that they won by topping Ligue 2.

The ultimatum outraged Monaco. The French Football Federation stepped in to mediate. A compromise solution was put to the club in a meeting earlier this month, whereby Monaco would pay €200m (£170m) over six or seven years to persuade the other clubs to shelve their misgivings. A brazen hustle, reckoned Rybolovlev, who walked straight out of the room. Then Monaco launched legal proceedings with France's supreme court, declaring that the LFP's decision in March "violates several fundamental principles of French and European law, notably the principle of free movement, free competition, free access to sporting competitions, and also the Franco-Monégasque tax convention signed on the 18 February 1963".

Monaco are convinced they will win the case but it could take several months to reach a verdict, during which time they say they will hold no further negotiations unless the LFP suspends the threat to exclude them. Meanwhile, Monaco have begun buying players that will not only make them more fearsome but also make Ligue 1 more attractive to sponsors, TV companies and fans. "Are you sure you do not want that?" Monaco seem to be asking their rivals.

Meier

Meanwhile, Monaco have begun buying players that will not only make them more fearsome but also make Ligue 1 more attractive to sponsors, TV companies and fans. "Are you sure you do not want that?" Monaco seem to be asking their rivals.

This bit is too important to the rest of the league for them to keep them out. The other major European countries are going to have to figure out some way to improve their marketability in other markets to catch up to the TV revenue that the PL generates. I bet there will be some sort of compromise on Monaco's side, but it won't be to the tune of €200m.

K1LLER7

Can't wait for the new Pokemon. Wanna do this.

De GOAT, Tackle

i5jihpocET7Qi.gif

It's super effective

Yeah, I'm sure I could go it's just a matter of cost which makes it prohibitive. :( What part of UAE do you live in? It seems like outside of Dubai and Abu Dhabi, most of the country is still relatively unknown to us outside of the region.

Abu Dhabi, the rest of the country is really great for tourism. But most of the focus is on Abu Dhabi and Dubai mainly because of the activities we have here like F1 for example.

Hixx

"But Akers, who along with Birmingham City chairman Steve Shipway represents the clubs on the WSL committee, said: "When they made their announcement, Donny had played only one match of the [current] season.
"To relegate them after 90 minutes is a joke - it's kicking them out.
"If you're talking about relegation then you should also talk about promotion, and Manchester City didn't win the Premier League [the level below the WSL], they finished fourth.
"Sunderland won it for the third year in a row and yet they'll be in the WSL's second division next year. It seems to me it's more about money than football.""

City are even ruining women's football. SHAME ON YOU, DC AND CHUMS. SHAME.

pulga

Banned
El Confidencial: City (Soriano) and Real Madrid (Perez) have reached a non-aggression agreement that is being called an "anti-Barca pact".
The pact will see the clubs share transfer info, negotiate directly for each others players, and battle greedy agents trying to make money.

@citywatch

:LOOOL

Anti-barca br- !

Right, now piss off Real Madrid. He's sticking with us.

Stick it up your bumhole, dc7493. Non agression pact is over.

Carbonox

Watching Pointless, they asked you to name the cities tied to each subway system picture. Totally nailed the Pyongyang one for POINTLESS. Winner winner chicken dinner. FUCK YOU PARDEW.

Meier

I think it's awesome how passionate Dzeko's fans are. He truly is a hero to many people -- I know this isn't necessarily uncommon but I personally encounter it a lot with his fans in particular.

Hixx

"Diakité at the junction Sunderland v Inter: if Mazzarri should insist, the selection would be made."

INTER MERDA?

rodvik

So yet again Baines will be on the bench while Cole is given caps. Fuck off Hodgson.

I am actually happy. Hodgson is so stuck in his ways you know he will keep picking the same old players and clubs time and time again. The benefit to this is none of our english players will get injured while he is in charge because he wont pick them.

Now if we can just get Belgium to hire a crap manager too and drop Tekkers.....

Scum

I am actually happy. Hodgson is so stuck in his ways you know he will keep picking the same old players and clubs time and time again. The benefit to this is none of our english players will get injured while he is in charge because he wont pick them.

Now if we can just get Belgium to hire a crap manager too and drop Tekkers.....
I need to take over England in FM2013.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
It depends if Modibo Diakite is shit or not. If he's shit, I go back to forza Inter.

He's not shit.

-

Lulic “It has been two days since the Final and I still can’t believe it. This was just an incredible evening. I finally realised what the Rome Derby means when I saw everyone in tears – not just the fans, but the players and kit staff too.

“The day after the game people would stop me in the street and kiss my right foot, the one I used to score the goal!"

“I only got the goal, so I really don’t deserve all the credit for the victory. This whole team made history.”

Wes

venison crêpe
I lost all my numbers from my mobile last week and I thought I could wait a week and I'd get some contacts and could refill my address book.

Only contact I've had since then are two messages from betfair.

pulga

Banned
So, it looks like Ancelotti could bringing Fabio Cannavaro over as his assistant coach.

Coupled that with Zidane as sporting director, means we've got a Juve/Madrid love-in going on at the whiste castle hierarchy <3

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I lost all my numbers from my mobile last week and I thought I could wait a week and I'd get some contacts and could refill my address book.

Only contact I've had since then are two messages from betfair.

You're not going down, Aston Villa FC. <3

Zabojnik

So, it looks like Ancelotti could bringing Fabio Cannavaro over as his assistant coach.

Coupled that with Zidane as sporting director, means we've got a Juve/Madrid love-in going on at the whiste castle hierarchy <3

With Zidane in charge, la decima will be only the beginning. Barca should hire Materazzi to counter.

pulga

Banned
With Zidane in charge, la decima will be only the beginning. Barca should hire Materazzi to counter.

Zidane seems to be taking a HUGE role this time around, as opposed to previous years where he's been a glorified poster boy. Florentino has repeatedly stated no transfer will be done without Zidane's approval. Picking out Varane has done wonders for Zizou <3

Florentino also said he hopes Zizou will be coaching Madrid down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom