• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT21| Robben learns to score in finals three years late

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTWheels

Why would you not put Suarez in the middle and Coutinho out wide?

Because Suarez behind Sturridge just ends up with Suarez deciding he wants to play right up front instead of playing in that gap in between the lines. When he out wide, he manages to control his positioning a bit better and he is best when dribbling into the box along the dead ball line.

Feorax

Why would you not put Suarez in the middle and Coutinho out wide?

Sturridge & Coutinho combo has been very effective whilst Suarez has been out.

On top of that, Suarez often does his best work when he's out roaming on the flanks. He seems to be better at getting the best of fullbacks than he is beating two centre halves.

Blablurn

raphael honigstein ‏@honigstein 5m

just looked at Dortmund's projected income for 2012/13. They'll be the 8th richest club in Europe. Break-up talk nonsense. piece up shortly

ENGLAND TEAM v Ireland: Hart, Johnson, Cole (C), Carrick, Cahill, Jagielka, Walcott, Lampard, Sturridge, Rooney, Oxlade-Chamberlain.

I was pretty close to my prediction. Lampard for Cleverley and I got Jones and Cahill the wrong way round. I declare myself the winner. You suck Wes.

Meier

Supposedly Christian Atsu's release clause is only €10m and Liverpool are interested. That'd be a great piece of business for LFC but is not at all in line with what is typical for Porto. I would have expected it was €30m at a minimum.

Wait you're telling me Monaco is willing to pay you more than what you bought him for from Porto? That's fucking crazy.

Well like I said earlier, there's no way we'd sell him for less than we paid for him this soon after signing him. I was actually expecting a really quiet summer from us this year. Of course if we do sell Hulk that all goes out the window.

OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe 2m

50% - Only Lionel Messi (52%) has scored/assisted a higher proportion of his team's goals than Iago Aspas (50%) in La Liga this term. Target

Well, what do we have here

ibetX95it0NOoF.gif

ENGLAND SUBSTITUTES v Ireland: 12 Baines, 13 Foster, 14 Lescott, 15 Jones, 16 Milner, 17 Rodwell, 18 Defoe, 19 Welbeck, 20 McCarthy.

Fuck off home Milner you pointless cunt.

Kenka

For the guy that asked:
Adler - Höwedes, Mertesacker, Westermann, Jansen - L. Bender, Neustädter - Draxler, Podolski, Sam - M. Kruse
3 HSV guys. I thought I would never see the day. Milch, you think this will work ?

In other news, Red Bull Salzburg are now close to climb in the 3. Bundesliga. They beat Lotte 2-0 at home in the first leg.
Red Bull are typically a "money-made" team but what makes them special is that they are from eastern Germany and that the Bundesliga is starving for those teams. In best case, Leipzig and Dresden should both have an established presence in the highest level. If one of the two can regularly make it to the Europa League, things would get interesting again.

Feorax

Supposedly Christian Atsu's release clause is only €10m and Liverpool are interested. That'd be a great piece of business for LFC but is not at all in line with what is typical for Porto. I would have expected it was €30m at a minimum.

I take it he would play on the opposite flank to Sterling in the future? Sounds exciting.

It sounds like Ilori an Papadopalous are nailed on. Anything else is a bonus.

D_prOdigy

Another England friendly in which Hodgson has pointlessly stuck with Hart when other keepers with better form are kept out.

Just give someone like Fraser Forster a cap, ffs.

Ingeniero

Bet you didn't have a problem with Mourinho shoving his fingers into people's eyes when he had the team playing well enough to win the league
That was a disgrace as well, but Mou was already in.
But Suarez is much much worse, even some of my friends from Uruguay say they are ashamed by him lol

Now Bale, that would be a very insteresnting signup, also will weaken spurs, good. Go for it Florentino.

pulga

Banned
Higuain is shit, period. People need to stop defending him by saying he score lots of goals because the amount of chances he's wasting would have put him far further up in the top scorer list if he knew how to fucking finish. The guy can mainly scores from assists, he doesn't shoot good and he never takes free kicks. When he isn't scoring goals from good assists what is he doing? Nothing, he's invisible then. Benzema has scored less this season but works much harder in not only scoring but assisting as well, he knows how to finish better as well. 10 goals, 10 assists. Higuain has 15 goals, less than 6 assists. Oh yeah and as you said he can't score in Champions League...as if that's a small matter. He's not an effective goal scorer with the amount of provided chances for him in consideration. Suarez on the other hand is a goal scoring machine, the guy scores lots, he knows how to finish and he has some great free kicks. Higuain has none of those. The only difference between them is that Suarez is a cunt.

The Isco one is mostly a joke. Let's be honest here, none of us would mind having Isco on our squad but we already have enough players in that position so it's not a huge "miss" if we don't get him. Kaka is shit, I'd take Isco over him any day. Who knows maybe Kaka will become a top player again if Ancelotti is coming!

Di Maria is a good player but nowhere near Bale's quality, to argue against this would just be ridiculous.

Marcelo is a good left-back but as seen this season his injury caused us problem because we didn't have any good replacement for him. Coentrao is not of Marcelo's quality. He's ok and I wouldn't mind him as a reserve but there are probably better players than him in that role. Besides someone might pay the clause so we should be prepared for it and he's not happy in the club.

If you're satisfied with players like Kaka, Higuain, Di Maria and Coentrao you might as well go and watch Liga Adelante and support Real Madrid Castilla instead. You have some strange views.

He's been very inconsistent but when he's playing good he plays really good, earning his spot there. But this means nothing if he frequently goes from bad to good and good to bad, a pretty good reserve yes but we need someone better and Bale fills that role perfectly.

I can say the same about your views, you judgemental person. Coentrao is solid and enough as a backup to Marcelo. Whi would you substitute Coentrao with? And no, I don't want Kaka - all I said was that he would probably stay if Ancelotti came here. Read what I'm writing. And I won't even discuss Higuain and Di Maria. Also, I do support Real Madrid Castilla - after all, it's Real Madrid.

Cavani would probably be a better choice than Suarez I agree. A midfielder to challenge Khedira is needed but I don't think that should be a top priority now. Right back, a left back to challenge Marcelo and a striker + Bale.

We agree on a lot of those. Where we disagree is, that you think we should look for a left-back even though we got 2 of the worlds best (yes, Coen haven't been as good for us as at the national level but he's solid), while I am getting fed up of Khedira's uselessness, even though I respect everything else he adds to our game.

If Coentrao were to be sold, then I could understand us going for a left back.

I'm not saying Coentrao is a bad player, I'm saying we need someone better than him as a backup. We could probably do with another season with him though. You won't discuss Higuain and Di Maria because in comparison to other players in La Liga and other big leagues they are at best average. Di Maria is average only because he can't keep a consistent form, I've said a bunch of times that when he's in his good form he's a great player but his inconsistency is really hurting us.

You could argue that left-back is not a high priority now and I agree, at least not the most necessary one but it should be something we should give attention to, even more now with Coentrao voicing his displeasure with the club. I'm not a big fan of Khedira, he actually does defend quite a bit but he's been mostly useless imo. I think Noirulus is the only one who likes him :lol

Some quick points:

Fuck Higuain. Madridista blood, sure, whatever, but this isn't a charity nor should we be blinded by sentiments. He's just not good enough for Real Madrid. I hate to sound uppity, but this is the biggest club in the world, and we haven't won jackshit in Europe in over ten years! We need the best of the best, not some inconsistent, serial-bottler on our side. And how dare you brush off his dismal CL record? Ffs.

Isco is an indulgence I dont think anyone on this forum would mind having. Again, Ancelotti shouldnt be blinded by sentimentalism for Kaka. Kaka isn't good enough, hasnt been since he arrived. He needs to be shipped off, it's a crime he makes the same amount of dough as Cristiano. Bringo Isco in. Ozil could use some REAL competition.

Bale >>> Di Maria >>>>>>>>>>>> Callejon, not even worth getting into. We also need the big marquee signing to counter the Neymar-effect. Bale is as good as it gets.

Left back. Coentrao just isnt close to Marcelo at his best last season, nor even as good as himself when he's with the national team. Don't think we need to buy here.

Right back problem should be properly solved by Carvajal. Arbeloa can play Copa del Rey.

Khedira. God. He's just so limited. Sure, he runs and marks a fuckload. But that's it. He's got no passing game, no shot, no vision, no nothing. We'd be better served forgoing Isco and looking into a Gundogan/Vidal type, shit, even De Rossi.

As for striker, I think we have a good chance at Suarez. No CL is a huge blow and he must want to make the leap to a title contender team someday. Why not now? Cavani is more than welcome, as well.

With all this said, let some formation muppetry begin:

--------------Lopez/Casillas
Carvajal - Ramos - Varane - Marcelo/Coentrao
-------------Modric - Gundogan
------------Bale - Ozil - Ronaldo
------------------Suarez

Que se venga la decima :3

Wes

venison crêpe
ENGLAND TEAM v Ireland: Hart, Johnson, Cole (C), Carrick, Cahill, Jagielka, Walcott, Lampard, Sturridge, Rooney, Oxlade-Chamberlain.

I was pretty close to my prediction. Lampard for Cleverley and I got Jones and Cahill the wrong way round. I declare myself the winner. You suck Wes.

Great. Lampard and Jagielka. Great thinking for the fucking future there Roy. I wonder what we'll learn about them in this game. Especially that young Frank.

3 HSV guys. I thought I would never see the day. Milch, you think this will work ?

In other news, Red Bull Salzburg are now close to climb in the 3. Bundesliga. They beat Lotte 2-0 at home in the first leg.
Red Bull are typically a "money-made" team but what makes them special is that they are from eastern Germany and that the Bundesliga is starving for those teams. In best case, Leipzig and Dresden should both have an established presence in the highest level. If one of the two can regularly make it to the Europa League, things would get interesting again.

I don't even care haha. I'm only in for the lols tonight.

That's fucking terrible news. Leipzig can fuck off, maybe they would lose interest if they stayed in the Regionalliga for another year, looks bad man :(

wait, baines is not a regular?

Sign him up

Clegg

United bros who are our real targets? I don't think we'll sign Thiago and Cesc is a long shot.

Fellaini and ? I actually think we're on the lookout for quality players this time around. But Thiago and Cesc seem out of our reach.

Blablurn

Better than Neuer.

Which might also be the opinion of certain Bayern Fans. According to Uli Hoeneß members of the Schickaria insulted Neuer when the Bayern players were driving along Munich to celebrate the German Championship. Fucking Wannabe Ultras, I really hate those guys.

WJD

United bros who are our real targets? I don't think we'll sign Thiago and Cesc is a long shot.

Fellaini and ? I actually think we're on the lookout for quality players this time around. But Thiago and Cesc seem out of our reach.

Fellaini, Strootman and some kind of Rooney replacement.

Blablurn

Alaba won the cl finalaba.

alabalaba>baines

fuck those guys. most ridiculous "ultras" ever

agreed @ ultras comment

And didnt we almost sign Baines some years ago? But I think he stayed in England because he would miss his family or something lol. Seems like he bet on the wrong horse!

pulga

Banned

Why is Thiago out of reach? He's a mere 18mil. Surely United can afford that.

Which might also be the opinion of certain Bayern Fans. According to Uli Hoeneß members of the Schickaria insulted Neuer when the Bayern players were driving along Munich to celebrate the German Championship. Fucking Wannabe Ultras, I really hate those guys.

Wait what, why? Excuse my ignorance of german football if its really obvious by the way, just seems to me like neuer is one of the coolest fuckers around

spidye

agreed @ ultras comment

And didnt we almost sign Baines some years ago? But I think he stayed in England because he would miss his family or something lol. Seems like he bet on the wrong horse!

van gaal's idea.

do you remember the time when we were desperately in need of a left back and van gaal pu pranjic there? we were heavily linked with baines and coentrao.

man, fuck those times. :/

Wait what, why? Excuse my ignorance of german football if its really obvious by the way, just seems to me like neuer is one of the coolest fuckers around

he is.
some idiots are just idiots and the bayern management threatened those idiots if they continue

D_prOdigy

New Rooney contract.

That'll be it.

I think they are both within reach.

Whether we get them or not remains to be seen but Thiago esp is comfortably available for a good price.

Obv you have to convince the player to leave but neither are 100% happy so there is a decent chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom