• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT9| #Freeelsk is now trending on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
English Premier League is pretty intense and you can see that on Fox Soccer Channel and ESPN2. La Liga and Serie A (Italy) are on beIN sport. You can stream the Dutch and Portuguese leagues on ESPN3. German league is on Goltv.

Champions League is the best (tournie where the leagues play each other) and that is also on Fox Soccer Channel. It's not weekly but when its on its great. Google homie

My favorite league is La Liga (Spain)

-up and coming stars: James Rodriguez, Freddy Guarin, Juan Cuadrado, Juan Zuñiga, Jackson Martinez, David Ospina, Pablo Armero, Teo Gutierrez, Carlos Valdes, Luis Muriel, Cristian Tello and the best striker in the world Radamel Falcao Garcia.

Sloosha

I live in America. I purchased Fifa 13 and am interested in watching some european football. That's where the real competition is right?

What league is the best?

Any Americans here, where can you watch EPL at the least or even la liga?

What are some up and coming stars of football?

I know some basic players Messi, Xavi a couple of BPL guys but that's about it.

How do i really take the next step and get into football beyond what we have here in America?

EPL is probably the easiest to follow in the US. FSC and ESPN2 (1 game a week) currently broadcast EPL matches in the States, although NBC recently secured the rights to broadcast the EPL starting next season.

Salazar

or Cleverly

TyJEq.gif

Blablurn

I live in America. I purchased Fifa 13 and am interested in watching some european football. That's where the real competition is right?

What league is the best?

How do i really take the next step and get into football beyond what we have here in America?

There is a German team called Bayern Munich. I heard they play some good football. Keep an eye on them.

What league is the best?

Every league has its positives and negatives, but the best current leagues are Bundesliga, La Liga, and Premier League. Serie A is fun too watch too.

You can watch on ESPN (usually have 1 PL game on saturday/sunday and sometimes a 2nd game that falls on monday/tuesday/wednesday if there is a game during the weekday).

Fox Soccer Channel shows about 4-6 PL games during the weekend, and if you have Fox Soccer Plus, you get an extra 4-5 or so PL games. Fox Soccer also airs the Champion's League games, and they air 1 CL game on regional Fox sports networks (fox west).

BEIN sports airs La Liga and Serie A games, as well as some cup (english, spanish, italian, etc...) games.

If you don't have any of those channels, you can watch a stream.

Some up and coming stars: Eden Hazard, James Rodriguez, Oscar (chelsea), Gotze, Suso (for the Liverpool fans), Pogba, De Gea (future GOAT keeper) etc... There are so many and some much better than Suso and Pogba that I didn't mention.

Let a team pick you. Watch multiple league games from the top leagues, and champion's league and you'll find yourself cheering for a team.

sohois

What league is the best?

Your best bet, as others have said, is to follow the premier league which has more coverage than the other leagues, but its now pretty simply to find internet streams of any major league.

For many Americans it seems like the first step is to find an American player and then simply adopt the team they play for. Certainly finding a team to support should make it easier.

Up and coming stars? Neymar (Plays in Brazil but likely to be in EU soon), Mario Gotze (Dortmund), Jose Callejon (Real Madrid), Paul Pogba (Juventus), Eden Hazard (Chelsea) to give you a spread through a couple of the major leagues. But there are many more that could be called up and coming stars.

What league is the best?

day.to is all you need whenever you want to watch a game.

firstrowsports.eu is an alternative.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Don't know if it was mentioned, but Giovinco scored his 12 goal for Juventus in the 12 minute of the second half on 12/12/2012, wearing the jersey no. 12. And he's only one meter and 12 centimeters tall!

WHAT

This one is new to me.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
There is a German team called Bayern Munich. I heard they play some good football. Keep an eye on them.

Don't believe his lies. The best German team is Borussia Dortmund.

They have remarkable young talents such as Mario Gotze, Marco Reus, and Robert Lewandoski who happens to also run Neo Gaf in his spare time. Bayern have two terrible players named Mario Gomez and Toni Kroos.

pulga

Banned
Don't believe his lies. The best German team is Borussia Dortmund.

They have remarkable young talents such as Mario Gotze, Marco Reus, and Robert Lewandoski who happens to also run Neo Gaf in his spare time. Bayern have two terrible players named Mario Gomez and Toni Kroos.

and Matt Hummels <3

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

What league is the best?

EPL is the best, followed by the Bundesliga and La Liga. However there's only two teams worth following in La Liga and Bundesliga is filled with (quite talented) non-stars.

Serie A is for the hardcore, neutrals won't like it, it's too tactical.

Playing Fifa would help you pick a team you'll enjoy watching. And it's always cool to see your fav. Fifa player score a goal or two. :p Unless your fav. player is Matri then good luck with that.

This is why players dive. If you man up, you won't get the decision. (I'm talking about the elbow and the kick)

Salazar

This is why players dive. If you man up, you won't get the decision. I'm talking about the elbow and the kick.

Tevez was probably distracted by the way Mancini started a massively inferior striker with an even shittier attitude ahead of him.

dc89

I almost wish it bricked so I could have taken the god damn thing back.

My favourite quote from the Wii U buyers remorse thread. Damn FootballGAF, you saved me. I am eternally grateful.

PIKMIN 3 IS COMING SOON!

pulga

Banned
My favourite quote from the Wii U buyers remorse thread. Damn FootballGAF, you saved me. I am eternally grateful.

PIKMIN 3 IS COMING SOON!

I think I'll bite when Rayman and Pikmin are out. That, plus NSMBU, ZombiU (cheap copy) and AssCreed 3 should keep me happy with my purchase for the time being.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I got burned buying the 3ds at launch so I wasn't making the same mistake twice. I'll get wii u when it gets the price cut in a few months.

btw, Epic Mickey 3ds is amazing. Great music too.

pulga

Banned
So pulga, what's going on with Madrid lately?

-

A new Guillermo del Toro movie? Sign me up!

It's easy to point at a dressing room bust up, but last season took a garguantan toll on the fitness of our players. They're just not the same electric, counter attacking deity team as last season. Im all for it if they want to take it easy during La Liga, but then La Decima is a must. Either way, I think Mou will be out by the end of the season. Would love it if he stayed though.

-

Wtf why are they using Glados?!

Milan-Reggina tonight! :D

Milan XI: Abbiati, Abate, Zapata, Yepes, Antonini; Flamini, STRASSER, Emanuelson; Robinho, Pazzini, Bojan.

Dat midfield, dat Strasser. Him and Flamini will definitely break at least a couple of legs, and make the entire match painful to watch even for us. Pretty sure we'll win but it won't be easy, mostly because of said midfield: with Montolivo and Ambro still out, we're missing a proper regista (even if Ambro isn't an actual regista, but whatever). The team will be divided in two, with only Binho-Pazzo-Bojan and maybe Emanuelson trying to do something useful upfront and the rest defending the goal from Reggina's amazing strikers, you know, Fischnaller and Campagnacci. Niang (the French Balotelli) will probably play a part of the match but he'll start from the bench, just like El Shaa.

nemesun

It's easy to point at a dressing room bust up, but last season took a garguantan toll on the fitness of our players. They're just not the same electric team as last season. Im all for it if they want to take it easy during La Liga, but then La Decima is a must. Either way, I think Mou will be out by the end of the season. Would love it if he stayed though.

-

Wtf why are they using Glados?!
It's all about CL for Mourinho this year. He wanted out last season but no one came for him so he begrudgingly agreed to stay on for another year with the hope that he might be able to add another star next to him name on his CV.

Yen

Slightly underwhelmed by the Pacific Rim trailer, Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favourite films.
But next year is going to be amazing for sci fi films.

GQman2121

Banned
Have to stay out of this thread and off Twitter today. Going to watch the replay of our Club World Cup match this afternoon at the bar with people and don't want to ruin it. I hope these Mexicans don't embarrass us.......

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Slightly underwhelmed by the Pacific Rim trailer, Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favourite films.
But next year is going to be amazing for sci fi films.
Yeah it looked okay. If his action movies is anything to go by, then rest assured.
It's easy to point at a dressing room bust up, but last season took a garguantan toll on the fitness of our players. They're just not the same electric, counter attacking deity team as last season. Im all for it if they want to take it easy during La Liga, but then La Decima is a must. Either way, I think Mou will be out by the end of the season. Would love it if he stayed though.

Is it really a dressing room bust up? Mou controlled the infamously divided Inter locker room, I'm sure he can handle a few inflated egos.

nemesun

Have to stay out of this thread and off Twitter today. Going to watch the replay of our Club World Cup match this afternoon at the bar with people and don't want to ruin it. I hope these Mexicans don't embarrass us.......
What's your phone number? I'll text ya.

Salazar

tqHCQ.gif

Sam Wallace &#8207;@SamWallaceIndy
Ivan Gazidis: 'Bradford defeat was not good enough ... we are upset & angry

He's saying to wait until 2014 FFP implementation for Arsenal to "really start competing".

Presumably there's also a commitment somewhere in there not to buy more shit players between now and then.

FootballFan

What league is the best?

Hello and welcome! :D

European leagues are definitely where the real deal is.

I'd say EPL would be the most entertaining choice, not necessarily the best but it's very good. (I personally like all leagues, A-league, epl, serie a, bundesliga etc, but La Liga the most)

You only need to know Messi.

Up and coming stars? There are quite a lot but mainly players like Neymar, El Shaarawy, Isco etc.

And if you want to get into it, I say do what Mumei does and just watch for a couple weeks and see what teams interest you or which you find the most entertaining.

Once you start following a team you really get into it. Also stay away from watching teams like Stoke, they will bore you to death, death.

Or maybe just find a team with an American? Roma in the Italian Serie A has Bradley, Dempsey at Tottenham, Howard at Everton etc.

FootballFan

This is why players dive. If you man up, you won't get the decision. (I'm talking about the elbow and the kick)

The other day Ray Hudson said a similar thing, saying players that are being honest are the ones that are being punished and facing consequences. While those that dive are getting calls.

I think Messi got a yellow for staying on his feet and complaining as no foul was called, if he had fallen over as soon as he was touched, the guy that touched him would have been booked instead.

It's all about CL for Mourinho this year. He wanted out last season but no one came for him so he begrudgingly agreed to stay on for another year with the hope that he might be able to add another star next to him name on his CV.

I keep hearing people say that Madrid and Mou are concentrating on just the CL but I really don't think so.

If they were doing that they wouldn't have come second in their group would they?

I know it was a tough group, but if they were fully motivated and focused on CL they wouldn't have had to beat City at home with a crappy last minute winner.

Also they wouldn't have lost + drawn dortmund, at least one win you would expect.

Zabojnik

I think it's time I start looking for a new TV. Nothing wrong with my good ol' Bravia, but it's 40" and 720p. Doesn't make sense for me to upgrade to anything less than a 55-60", I reckon. I'm thinking plasma. Never owned one, always wanted to. How are plasmas for gaming these days? I don't even game that much on consoles anymore, just the big hits / my kind of games and an indie title here and there. I basically use the aparatus for TV series, movies and watching football 90% of the time.

Would you guys recommend getting a plasma? Something like the Panasonic VT50 series?

Nyx

I think it's time I start looking for a new TV. Nothing wrong with my good ol' Bravia, but it's 40" and 720p. Doesn't make sense for me to upgrade to anything less than a 55-60", I reckon. I'm thinking plasma. Never owned one, always wanted to. How are plasmas for gaming these days? I don't even game that much on consoles anymore, just the big hits / my kind of games and an indie title here and there. I basically use the aparatus for TV series, movies and watching football 90% of the time.

Would you guys recommend getting a plasma? Something like the Panasonic VT50 series?

Plasma is awesome for gaming, and the Panny-bandwagon is a great place to be on.

I never really understood the appeal of Plasma TVs. The more vibrant colors/blacker blacks are not worth the wattage penalty/burn-in (does it still persist?) to me.
What's definitely better is the display of analog (/non-HD) sources.

Recently my mom asked me to help an elderly friend of hers who was paying out of her ass for electricity, like 3-4 times as much compared to a standard single household.
Turns out she had an old 42" Plasma (270w) and let it on for like 16h/day (her own words), rofl :|
So I'm about to put that TV on ebay and also I changed her electricity provider to a better one. The old provider already wrote her 3 letters asking her to stay, lol

Big Boi - Vicious Lies and Dangerous Rumors: not bad.

Nyx

I never really understood the appeal of Plasma TVs. The more vibrant colors/blacker blacks are not worth the wattage penalty/burn-in (does it still persist?) to me.

Burn-in still exists, if you let it on for 48 hours on a channel with a logo all the time....
Panny also gives warranty for burn-ins during gaming, as long as you play games with ''game-mode'' on.

And the wattage, it's like 30 euros a year more here.

Linius

What league is the best?

Dutch Eredivisie. Obviously.

Korez

World Football - 'Police pull guns on players' in South America final

Argentina's Tigre accused police of pulling guns on their players and refused to emerge from the dressing room for the second half of the Copa Sudamericana final, leaving Sao Paulo to be declared winners of the tournament.

Tigre, losing 2-0 at the time, said police pointed guns at their players following a brawl as they left the field at halftime in the second leg of the final at Sao Paulo's Morumbi stadium. The first leg in Argentina had ended goalless.
"They pulled two guns on us, the rest of the match is not going to be played," Tigre coach Nestor Gorosito told Fox Sports.
"They ambushed us and one of them pulled out a revolver and put it against (goalkeeper) Damian Albin's chest. Their security and police also hit us, there were around 20 of them."
After Tigre failed to re-emerge for the second half, Sao Paulo were declared winners and handed the trophy.

Tensions rose even before kick-off after officials tried to stop Tigre from warming up on the pitch, though players managed to dodge them by leaping over advertising hoardings.
Sao Paulo had dominated the first half with Lucas, playing his final match before joining Paris St Germain, at the heart of everything. He scored the opener in the 23rd minute, pouncing on the ball to fire home after Willian Jose's progress towards goal had been blocked.
Lucas turned provider for the second, playing a fine ball for Osvaldo to run through and lift the ball over Damian Albil, but Lucas had also been on the receiving end of several tough challenges, with one elbow to the face drawing blood.
Fighting then erupted as the players left the pitch at half-time.

924003.jpg

Tigre also said their bus was pelted with stones on the way to the stadium and Gorosito complained about the treatment his team had received
"We trained two hours away from our hotel, and it took us more than an hour to get to the stadium. We were unable to warm up on the pitch," he said.
Referee Osses said: "We did not see anything, but we have heard some things about what happened. We saw there were some injuries to the Tigre players but I don't know what caused them."
CONMEBOL official Romer Osuna said: "The referee abandoned the game because it was not right to play on. This decision is final. It is a shame that a continental final finished in this fashion."
The first leg finished goalless in Argentina.
The Copa Sudamericana is the region's equivalent of the Europa League.

924001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom