• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT9| #Freeelsk is now trending on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't blame the ref, if he hasn't seen it he hasn't. Shit goes on at every corner and free kick, but Fellaini should certainly be banned for longer than three matches

Surely he should be keeping an eye on things happening in the box from corners? And to miss it twice? And to allow Shawcross to have his arms around Fellaini both times without even warning him?

Timurid

Corinthians are going to offer milan 15 mil for Pato. Well, they dont really need him with Il Faraone running a riot in serie A. Plus, they can use the money to get some defenders.

Wilbur

Banned
Surely he should be keeping an eye on things happening in the box from corners? And to miss it twice? And to allow Shawcross to have his arms around Fellaini both times without even warning him?

But that happens at every single corner, refs just don't seem to take action. If he's the only one doing it, fair enough. But every referee who is being asked to watch 20 players at the same time is missing these things.

Hixx

Reading put 4 past Arsenal and 3 past United. It's not impossible that they get something tonight. They just need to defend a lot better.

They desperately need a decent keeper. If they don't sign a one in January they are fucked.

edit: Fellaini got off lucky there.

"Referee Mark Halsey confirmed that he saw two further incidents in the 71st and 91st minutes, also involving Fellaini and Shawcross, neither of which he deemed to be violent conduct."

Yeah, he should be suspended if he saw them and didn't act. Incredibly poor refereeing.

I don't even know how this happened they are the worst PL side I've seen since Derby.

Salvadora

If anyone can help them with their lack of points it's us, Arsenal will cause me to have a heart attack one day, or at least a mental breakdown.
I feel like I'm already getting grey hairs. Reading is exactly the kind of game you expect Arsenal to drop points and I think tonight will be no different. I don't think my expectations for Arsenal can get any lower, really.

rodvik

So, Reading win tonight?

They wont. Arsenal has had one of their blips. Its over now and they will win tonight. Honestly the amount of flapping that goes on when Arsenal lose a game or two is silly. They will have another top 4 finish in the league and do very well in the CL.

They wont. Arsenal has had one of their blips. Its over now and they will win tonight. Honestly the amount of flapping that goes on when Arsenal lose a game or two is silly. They will have another top 4 finish in the league and do very well in the CL.

Nah, I honestly think they could finish as low as 7th this season. Even so, Reading are a terrible, terrible team with no strengths

I feel like I'm already getting grey hairs. Reading is exactly the kind of game you expect Arsenal to drop points and I think tonight will be no different. I don't think my expectations for Arsenal can get any lower, really.

The coming year will be a defining moment in our history, I hope wise choices are made.

Salvadora

We've lost much more than a game or two this season and have even lost our playing style. I'm going to predict that Arsenal will not finish top 4 or go past the next stage of the Champion's League. Although I'd love to be wrong I don't expect I will. The rot at Arsenal grows ever deeper

rodvik

We've lost much more than a game or two this season and have even lost our playing style. I'm going to predict that Arsenal will not finish top 4 or go past the next stage of the Champion's League. Although I'd love to be wrong I don't expect I will. The rot at Arsenal grows ever deeper

You also have one of the best managers in the world. We have been here before. Trust in Wenger, you will be redeemed.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Corinthians are going to offer milan 15 mil for Pato. Well, they dont really need him with Il Faraone running a riot in serie A. Plus, they can use the money to get some defenders.

Sold.

We need another striker tbh, El Shaa won't last forever and we just can't trust Pazzini and Robinho to save our asses every other time. Also a midfielder (I'm guessing we'll go after a Monto substitute) and a CB/LB, even if De Sciglio apparently can play on the left side.
We're winning today don't worry

They call el sharaawy Pharaoh? lol
He's half Italian, half Egyptian.

harSon

Banned
Was this posted already?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...elding-all-white-non-gay-team/article6469999/

Zenit St. Petersburg supporters call on soccer club to start fielding all-white, non-gay team
Fans of two-time defending Russian champion Zenit St. Petersburg are calling for non-white and gay players to be excluded from the team.

Landscrona, the largest Zenit supporters club, released a manifesto Monday demanding the club field an all-white, heterosexual team. It added that “dark-skinned players are all but forced down Zenit’s throat now, which only brings out a negative reaction” and said gay players were “unworthy of our great city.”

The club, which is owned by state-controlled natural gas giant Gazprom, told the R-Sport news agency it supported tolerance and picked players on athletic ability alone, insisting that “the team’s policy is aimed at development and integration into the world soccer community, and holds no archaic views.”

Zenit were the only top-flight Russian team never to have signed a black player until this summer, when it acquired Brazilian striker Hulk and Belgian midfielder Axel Witsel for 80 million euros ($105-million). French midfielder Yann M’Vila declined a move to the club in August after receiving death threats.

Fans insisted that “we are not racists and for us the absence of black Zenit players is just an important tradition that underlines the team’s identity and nothing more.”

Russia has struggled to deal with racism and violence at its stadiums as it prepares to host the World Cup in 2018. Black players are frequently the targets of monkey chants and some, including Anzhi Makhachkala’s Robert Carlos and Christopher Samba, have had bananas thrown at them by fans.

Officials have at times shown little enthusiasm for targeting racism. When Lokomotiv Moscow fans held up a banner in 2010 thanking an English team for signing their black striker Peter Odemwingie with a picture of a banana, the head of Russia’s World Cup bid awkwardly claimed they were referencing a quaint, little-used Russian expression meaning “to fail an exam.”

Zenit’s fans have long been the country’s most problematic. Dick Advocaat, the team’s former Dutch manager, once admitted that “the fans don’t like black players” and that it would be “impossible” for Zenit to sign one.

Several black players have also singled out Zenit’s fans as particularly racist. Former Russian top scorer Vagner Love told a Brazilian newspaper in April that Zenit were “the most racist team in Russia” and the only one whose fans had abused him in his seven years playing for CSKA Moscow.

Five years earlier, Krylya Sovetov Samara’s former Cameroon international Serge Branco told a local newspaper that Zenit’s management were “the real racists” for not combating the problem, adding that “in a civilized country they’d smack them down to the third division for their fans’ behaviour.”

Zenit’s fans have also come under the spotlight recently after one of them threw a firecracker that injured Dinamo Moscow’s goalkeeper during a match in November. Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev, himself a Zenit fan, called for violent spectators to be banned for life from attending matches. Parliament has drafted a bill that would ban hooligans for a year.

Yen

I thought we had something special after that goal

Although we (an Rafa) are partially to blame for his career going downhill so fast I think

I think a lot of it was down to the fact he was completely thick. No one that stupid/with so little game intelligence could make it at the highest level.

I think a lot of it was down to the fact he was completely thick. No one that stupid/with so little game intelligence could make it at the highest level.

He had very little game intelligence, but enough ability to have been a useful player I think. We completely fucked up with him in 08/09. While it was good for the team, it completely stalled his development and he never got back on track

Wes

venison crêpe
Tonight should be a great game. Each result results in good news:

Arsenal win: Reading don't get any points. One less team to be concerned about relegation with for the time being.
Draw: Questions remain about both coaches.
Reading win: QPR go back to the bottom of the table and Arsenalol.

Shame on you Sviatoslav
Yeah fuck him, what a racist homophone! lol
The article sucks a bit for opening with "Zenit St. Petersburg supporters" while the truth is "Landscrona, the largest Zenit supporters club"
But meh, they'll prolly die soon enough from smoke poisoning:

K8wZm.jpg

Oh, Derby, forgot about them, they made Ryan Babel actually look like a Dutch wonderkid.

Anyone seen that video on Gotze's facebook? Fucking lol.

No u! He's got an image to build :|
He is our Messi after all.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I've dodged football for the last 48 hours, but honestly an Arsenal loss to Reading would put me right back on track.

They couldn't hold a 4-0 against the second string. It's not going to happen.

Hopefully we at least get some comedy defending like when they played United.

Neville just brutally trolled Arshavin.

rodvik

Tonight should be a great game. Each result results in good news:

Arsenal win: Reading don't get any points. One less team to be concerned about relegation with for the time being.
Draw: Questions remain about both coaches.
Reading win: QPR go back to the bottom of the table and Arsenalol.

Well since you put it that way.....

Lambert_Jump_medium.gif

Bo-Locks

lmao Neville is ripping into Arsenal.

"Arshavin - We'll move on"..."Chamakh - We'll move on" "Walcott - Will leave in the next 6 months".

Wilbur

Banned

pulga

Banned
Fuck yes.

FA Panel clears Roger Espinoza to join Wigan Athletic in January

The club is delighted to announce that following a decision by an FA Panel this morning, Honduras International midfielder Roger Espinoza has been granted permission to work in the UK, and will become a Wigan Athletic player when his contract with MLS club Sporting Kansas City expires at the end of December.

He should be eligible for the FA Cup tie against Bournemouth, subject to receiving international clearance. He will become the 4th Honduras player to appear in Latics colours, following Wilson Palacios, Maynor Figueroa and Hendry Thomas.

A delegation from the club, including Manager Roberto Martinez, Football Secretary Stuart Hayton and club lawyers travelled to London to attend the hearing, after which the 26 year-old was given the green light to travel to Wigan and sign for the club.

Roberto Martinez was understandably thrilled with the news: “We prepared an excellent case for Roger and it is great news for us that he can now join up in January.

“He is a player we have been following closely since 16th of June 2010, when he made his debut in the World Cup versus Chile.

“In that game, he showed tremendous potential and slowly, he has been developing into an exciting footballer over the last three seasons in the MLS and has enjoyed terrific experiences at international level, specifically his role with Honduras in the Olympic games.

“The games versus Spain and Brazil in that tournament showed the winning and strong mentality that he possesses which will be an important asset to our squad.”

Espinoza, who is a close friend and international room-mate of Maynor Figueroa, said: “This has been a dream for me to play in England and I am so grateful for the club who have worked so hard to make this happen. I just can’t wait now to join up with Maynor and all the guys and get to work.”

Espinoza was born in Honduras but moved to Kansas at the age of 12. He spent his youth football career playing for Yavapai Roughriders (2004-05) and Ohio State Buckeyes (2006-07), going on to play in the National Premier Soccer League for Arizona Sahuaros. He was picked up by Kansas City Wizards in 2008 and went on to play 113 games for the club, scoring two goals. The club changed its name to Sporting Kansas City in 2010.

Having become a US Citizen in 2008, he had the chance to play for the USA but opted instead for Honduras and now has 25 Caps, scoring three times.

He was one of the stand out players at the London Olympic Games last summer and played in all four matches for the Honduran team, including a goal-scoring Man-of-The Match performance against Brazil.

The standing ovation he got when he was sent off was amazing <3

Post from RAWK

I wrote to the FA last year about incidents involving Cabaye and Colocini against Spearing and Bellamy and the FA responded as follows:

'Retrospective action can only be taken for incidents which are off the ball i.e. not seen by the match officials. With regards to the incidents referred to here, these were seen by the match officials. Where an official has seen a coming together of players, regardless of outcome, no retrospective action can be taken.'

lolFA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom