• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes Contributor - Xbox Losing The Console War Looks Like The Best Thing That's Happened To Gaming In Years (Positive article).

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
No it wasn't. Because those services aren't new. Just because you brought them to a console doesn't mean you changed the market. I know you're not bashing xbox but it's just the things sony did weren't really that special.

I have both consoles, but what did Microsoft brought to the table? Gamepass? I mean that's just a download store same as the Microsoft store but with a subscription model on top of it...."not really that special".

And you think Microsoft doesn't acquire companies for their technology? Not because they are labeled as a software company, that they magically can develop everything. They also have to hire the right people for xCloud, Azure, Xbox, Windows, Office etc etc

If Sony want's to start a new division for concern applications, they also have to contract developers for it.

Last edited:
... "PlayStation has never lacked for innovative thinking and it's hard not to wonder whether the company would have done more to change gaming for the better if the PS4 didn't have such a decided advantage in sales."
Wtflyingf??? :

Remote play with Vita (first to the show), afterwards with mobile and pc

Share Play, virtually lending your game to a friend on the internet?! _ who need demos if you have a friend with a big library lol _ no one else has this, it isn't game changing?

PS Now, both game subscription and a way to play bc games, for me a bad solution but, nonetheless, first to the show allowing competition to learn from mistakes

PS Vue, don't really care or need it but isn't it innovative?

PSVR?.... You want more change gaming, what mate?¡
Yeah, well, 2 things:

1) This is the Forbes Contributor Network we're talking about, and the writers there aren't exactly MENSA members. They're pretty bad, especially when writing about tech and gaming.

2) Specifically regarding PSVR: I have been playing Beat Saber for the last 3 weeks straight. It runs buttery smooth on my launch day PS4 with the Move controllers. Yes, PSVR has its limitations. VR is a young idea/platform and needs some time. But when you play a game like Beat Saber, all that hardware and wiring just disappears and you can get lost in it for hours at a time. Same with a game like Astro Bot Rescue Mission. I don't have any problem with people criticizing console makers, but to dismiss the PSVR as "nothing new" or not pushing the genre forward just because it uses old Move controllers? After all the time I've spent with some of the new VR games in 2018, I almost take personal offense to that.

PSVR doesn't get enough credit for the fact that half the system is retrofitted to old optical gear and controllers. Again, I concede that it has its limitations and things that it needs to improve on, but the fact that it's so amazing in its current format gets NO attention in the gaming media. Those Move controllers are basically 1:1 motion, and that matters in a game like Beat Saber where you need your "swords" to be 100% accurate.

PocoJoe

Banned
Reasons not to buy xbox (any model):
Worst controller with bad stick placement
Almost no interesting exclusive
Store&gui is super messy(at least on 360)
No one owns it (from my friends)
Boring as "windows" as product

Reasons to buy ps4:
Best games
Best controller
Best OS/gui
Ps+
All gamers have it(that i know)
Synonym for gaming, not boring like xbox

Funny how some think that making x1 with more power would instantly make it "must buy" for PlayStation gamers.

Power doesnt matter if they dont have good games and other things.

Blam

I have both consoles, but what did Microsoft brought to the table? Gamepass? I mean that's just a download store same as the Microsoft store but with a subscription model on top of it...."not really that special".

And you think Microsoft doesn't acquire companies for their technology? Not because they are labeled as a software company, that they magically can develop everything. They also have to hire the right people for xCloud, Azure, Xbox, Windows, Office etc etc

If Sony want's to start a new division for concern applications, they also have to contract developers for it.
I mean microsoft developed their BC in house no? xCloud is also Microsoft, and Azure is also microsoft.

Microsoft does most things in house and buys technology, they don't aqcuire and repurpose entire companies to their needs. Havok being an example. Or Simplygon. They will buy tech but will not touch it. Just like FB in a sense where they bought whatsapp, oculus, and instagram. But those companies are still seperate but owned by FB.

Gaikai does not exist their site literally redirects to PSNow.

But regardless I haven't said anything along those lines. I just said that people hype up Sony a lot for things they never did.
Buying someone who made the tech..... isnt supporting innovation ? Having VR on a low-specced machine aka consoles isnt cool ? idk.

Not really. Because now they've been rebranded as the PSNow team. Gaikai doesn't exist as anything more then a brand. Sure VR is nice, but did sony create VR? Not really. VR with a single spec obviously will run well.

It's cool don't get me wrong, but Sony isn't walking on water to do these things.

Last edited:

Xenon

Reasons to buy ps4:
Best games
Best controller
Best OS/gui
Ps+

Funny how some think that making x1 with more power would instantly make it "must buy" for PlayStation gamers.

blinking-guy-speechless-news-look-reaction.gif

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Its shit like this that draws all the negativity. It fails to note the price disparity and leans hard on MS own marketing slogan how every "game looks and plays better". Which is debatable, particularly on the plays better part when generally the only difference is resolution.

Its an advert masquerading as an article, and as such invites criticism.
Lol. It warrants criticism because it's a positive Xbox article - as do ALL positive Xbox articles posted on GaF.

What's funny is that its always the same one's that come in and trash the joint as if Phil Spencer literally broke in their house and made out with their mum while she was asleep.

It wouldnt be so blatantly obvious if you guys didnt do this EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. A. POSITIVE. XBOX . ARTICLE. CAME. AROUND.

There's literally no way in hell any console can be THAT bad to where it deserves criticism on any/all points about what it brings to the table for gamers. You guys go through great lengths to downplay, undermine or just flat out deny anything positive the brand does. It's bullshit. Period.

It makes things painfully obvious that most of you are full of shit and take this gaming thing too seriously and your criticisms should be taken with a grain of salt -- a HUGE one.

Last edited:

Three

Didn't make PSNow they bought someone who made the tech and contract them to do it. PS Vue is just a TV service lmao. VR isn't innovative. They literally didn't bring a single thing new to the table with that.
Cool tell that to every single thing that MS own and have done. Rare, Minecraft, Gears, Halo. You think they invented backwards compatibility? You think that is more innovative than VR? Ridiculous.

Also BC operates to the benefit of the company just as it did for the PS3. It's designed to make people who own the previous console move to your new one instead of the competitors.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
What strikes me about this article is with Microsoft focusing on backwards compatibility (a good thing) it only creates concern for new games so therefore you’re trapped in the past.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some

Reasons to buy ps4:
Best games
Best controller
Best OS/gui
Ps+

Can someone tell me why this guy isn’t banned yet? This reads like a 12 year old arguing with his friends at school about what console is better! You are bringing nothing to the table here!

Mind you, maybe you are a 12 year old kid, in which case I don’t really know what to say about this forum...

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I mean microsoft developed their BC in house no? xCloud is also Microsoft, and Azure is also microsoft.

Microsoft does most things in house and buys technology, they don't aqcuire and repurpose entire companies to their needs. Havok being an example. Or Simplygon. They will buy tech but will not touch it. Just like FB in a sense where they bought whatsapp, oculus, and instagram. But those companies are still seperate but owned by FB.

Gaikai does not exist their site literally redirects to PSNow.

But regardless I haven't said anything along those lines. I just said that people hype up Sony a lot for things they never did.

Not really. Because now they've been rebranded as the PSNow team. Gaikai doesn't exist as anything more then a brand. Sure VR is nice, but did sony create VR? Not really. VR with a single spec obviously will run well.

It's cool don't get me wrong, but Sony isn't walking on water to do these things.

What are you talking about? PSVR is build inhouse, PSNow is build inhouse, Sony BC what they have is build inhouse etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Microsoft nice list, most companies doesn't even exist anymore.

you think Gaikai or Onlive (both from Sony) would still exist if Microsoft had aquire them? No they would be part of Xbox Streaming Service. Your just downplaying everything Sony has done this generation or in the past, as if they just don't exist.

Also..Microsoft didn't create things like Cloud tech...

You are really weird, and I also think you don't know what you're talking about. The only one that is hyping up a company is you!

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Lol. It warrants criticism because it's a positive Xbox article - as do ALL positive Xbox articles posted on GaF.

What's funny is that its always the same one's that come in and trash the joint as if Phil Spencer literally broke in their house and made out with their mum while she was asleep.

It wouldnt be so blatantly obvious if you guys didnt do this EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. A. POSITIVE. XBOX . ARTICLE. CAME. AROUND.

There's literally no way in hell any console can be THAT bad to where it deserves criticism on any/all points about what it brings to the table for gamers. You guys go through great lengths to downplay, undermine or just flat out deny anything positive the brand does. It's bullshit. Period.

It makes things painfully obvious that most of you are full of shit and take this gaming thing too seriously and your criticisms should be taken with a grain of salt -- a HUGE one.

I've never written a bad thing so far as I can recall about One X! Ever.

I don't have an issue with it at all, and from what I've seen its actually a fine piece of hardware. That being said its only a more powerful variant of the One S, so really it brings nothing unmissable to the table in my view.

I'm just sick of the endless stream of stealth marketing pieces. Its blatantly fucking obvious when an "article" is actually an advert. Especially when a minimal Google search shows up purported "analysts" like Brad Sams to actually turn out to be marketing executives! It also doesn't take a great leap of logic to see who they are marketing for when they churn out "content" that is invariably completely partisan to MS!

If any piece shows undue bias towards anyone or anything I'm immediately skeptical, especially when it serves a commercial agenda. I really dislike the trend of "sponsored content" because its basically anti-truth and fundamentally dishonest.

Gavon West

What are you talking about? PSVR is build inhouse, PSNow is build inhouse, Sony BC what they have is build inhouse etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mergers_and_acquisitions_by_Microsoft nice list, most companies doesn't even exist anymore.

you think Gaikai or Onlive (both from Sony) would still exist if Microsoft had aquire them? No they would be part of Xbox Streaming Service. Your just downplaying everything Sony has done this generation or in the past, as if they just don't exist.

You are really weird, and I also think you don't know what you're talking about. The only one that is hyping up a company is you!
There's so much wrong with your post it deserves it's own definition in the dictionary for weirdly bizarre, strangely incorrect shit that needs its own definition in the dictionary. My God!

"Microsoft didnt creat things like Cloud tech"

WTAF?

Gavon West

I've never written a bad thing so far as I can recall about One X! Ever.

I don't have an issue with it at all, and from what I've seen its actually a fine piece of hardware. That being said its only a more powerful variant of the One S, so really it brings nothing unmissable to the table in my view.

I'm just sick of the endless stream of stealth marketing pieces. Its blatantly fucking obvious when an "article" is actually an advert. Especially when a minimal Google search shows up purported "analysts" like Brad Sams to actually turn out to be marketing executives! It also doesn't take a great leap of logic to see who they are marketing for when they churn out "content" that is invariably completely partisan to MS!

If any piece shows undue bias towards anyone or anything I'm immediately skeptical, especially when it serves a commercial agenda. I really dislike the trend of "sponsored content" because its basically anti-truth and fundamentally dishonest.
Actually its the writers opinion and he shared what he thought to be the truth of todays gaming economy and it's players from his perspective. I mean, really...

It reads positively because that's how he feels and those are his thoughts. I gotta wonder if the same journalist wrote a piece about PC or Sony would you find it a "paid advertising piece"

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
There's so much wrong with your post it deserves it's own definition in the dictionary for weirdly bizarre, strangely incorrect shit that needs its own definition in the dictionary. My God!

"Microsoft didnt creat things like Cloud tech"

WTAF?

Just tel me then whats wrong? Because i can’t find your argument in your post. You are just yelling at me and then running away. Easy shouting without counterargument. What i mean is that none of the technology that exist is created by Microsoft. It’s not like they invented the Cloud tech.

So about hyping up a company. I think the Xbox fans these days are hyping up Microsoft way to much, and you guys also expecting as if they will win the next round. It’s almost sounds so desperate. Gamepass is great but still lacking a lot of games. I finished QB, now playing some Gears and Fallout 76 (i have the Fallout 76 bundle xbox one x). But now that i can compare both systems, you can really see Microsoft was playing catch up. A lot of features where implemented later in the console and still has some features the PS4 has over the Xbox. The UI looks good and i think they can do a lot with it, but it’s also confusing and option visible at weird places. Also, i’m happy with the console, but UI part...i think Sony did a better job overall. I see way to much menus, overlays, etc on the One X menu that doesn’t need to be there.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Actually its the writers opinion and he shared what he thought to be the truth of todays gaming economy and it's players from his perspective. I mean, really...

It reads positively because that's how he feels and those are his thoughts. I gotta wonder if the same journalist wrote a piece about PC or Sony would you find it a "paid advertising piece"

Yes, I think many of us would. It may be a bit more difficult when you count the successes of PS1, PS2, the massive comeback of PS3, and PS4... some of the points could read a little bit less hyped beyond reality. It is like someone made an article super positive about Nintendo’s platformers.

Call it a paid advertising piece or a fan piece that curiously hits on all the PR points / is influenced by the PR points... does not really matter. The article is quite biased and nonobjective and that is fine... MS has done some good reactive and proactive choices and developed some good products all in all so I am not surprised some people in the gaming blogosphere are trying to change the narrative before next generation start... some are going overboard with excitement perhaps, that is all.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Not necessarily Gavon, but that is similar to what I have also noticed when articles or threads/posts propping up nu-Xbox and putting everything MS does in that arena on a pedestal: the overhyping and putting everything done under the most positive light possible (and positively speculating away with hope about things we only know very little details about) while downplaying or ignoring what they competition has done or will do and add a feeling of uncertainty and veiled distrust to the few bits that make through that shedding process.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Gavon, c’mon though you are taking it just as serious as anyone else. I could kind of say “how do you like ‘em apples” thinking about what regularly happen with anything Sony and especially ND related where a pack of people regularly vent off all of the general frustration with mocking one line drive-by’s, but that is not what I want to do nor it would be a good justification (two wrongs would not make a right).

This article is being analysed and addressed as it clearly make very loud arguments and takes a strong side... in a biased way. Usual “everything done on one side must be the best possible things and part of a greater and greater trend” while the other side is portrayed as the lucky one time winner that was only able to avoid messing up on capitalising on the leader’s mistake and had nothing concrete that could compare (things achieved, initiatives started, etc... are either ignored or downplayed). People are addressing that.

Last edited:

Sparda

Banned
Blam talking about revolutionary(buyed) ms service like bc and cloud power check
Gavon with persecucion complex check
Sony fanboys check

The article definitely had good points and I really like the Xbox One X and PS4 pro, but the X to me is not “superior” to the pro. Technologically speaking, it’s unquestionably the better consoles spec wise, but superior is an exaggeration, especially when most developers only bump up the resolution in their games and essentially leave most assets or things the same.

DonF

So are you saying they didn’t learn and aren’t listening to their base?
I'm saying this is the narrative that microsoft is going to push towards the launch of their next box. That xbox 1 died for their sins, they are going to throw it under the bus.
Make way for nextbox, it nothing like xbox 1 !

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

It doesn't matter if its written by an unpaid fanboy or a shill, a puff-piece is still basically worthless because it only presents one side of an argument.

That goes regardless of who's doing it, and what is being hyped.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
People bring up valid points about how this article is a bit bias and people complain that this is an attack on the Microsoft?

Microsoft has done a lot of good things this generation, but there's still a lot of things they have to improve on.

Same people who complain about "SonyGAF" downplaying Microsoft accomplishments are the same ones on Sony threads doing the exact same thing. This has been very clear obvious the past several months when talking about PS Now and their streaming services going forward.

If I said there's no reason to buy a current gen and next gen Xbox when you can just buy a PC, I'm sure people on here are going to complain about how "Not everyone wants to buy a PC." Well, as you can see, the writer is trying to use the same argument in regards to PS4 Pro vs Xbox One X.

Xbox One X is $200 - $300 more than the XB1 and PS4 Slim. $100 more than the PS4 Pro.

You don't need a next generation or current generation console if you spend a few more dollars hundred dollars than the X because all their games will be on game pass.

I remember fans were upset that things like this was brought out months ago. They were saying, "Everyone wants to buy a PC" but somehow it's great when compared to Sony and Microsoft? Logically, there's more reason to own a PC and PS4 than there is to own a PC and XB1, but I'm sure that wouldn't go well with many people on here.

ANIMAL1975

Not only that, PSNow allows you to download games and play them online without paying for PSN+. Yeah, your points still stand, Sony is just assumed to never innovate in some circles... no matter what they did while excuses and focus on the positives is allowed for their competitors in some professional game bloggers’ eyes.

BC with PS3 has an obviously higher degree of complexity in terms if emulation so that should taken into account for the analysis (while saying that Xbox One BC approach is better than what Sony has on PS4 just offering PS2 Classics if you buy them again on PS4’s store)... yet, reminding people of what they did for PS2, PS3, PSP, and PS Vita may balance the article a bit more, but again it was not meant as a comparative article... it was a love letter to Xbox One X from and Xbox fan that went a bit too far in some spots (I would not completely fault it as it is a console that does turn some eyes and packs a strong punch... that can be admitted without having to take things away from the PS side IMHO).
I'm 100% with you. Like i have already said to Blam, I'm not dismissing on Xbox or the positive side of the article. But when the author says that Sony didn't brought nothing game changing, like in other gens, because of the success of the ps4,,,, i just can't,,, maybe,,,, wait,,,, what? What can be more game changing than virtual reality made come true in our homes, on our present time! _ Not some vague future in the years to come where i could already be shaking like leaves and dripping from the down parts _ our present time!
Isn't game changing the ability to play my games on the go, with remote play, on my phone or the vita away from home? _ That's some serious 21 century wizardry for a 44 year old dudebro like myself lol.
And not even going to talk about live on Playstation, the most groundbreaking, game changing service of all times! (this guy clearly never saw the weekend late night crazy drunk strip tease shows...) 😁

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I see the argument, but for me the best news is going into next-gen where Sony is going to have to push again to retain the top spot. I would never bet against Sony, of course.

In my opinion, the Switch and Nintendo have already solidified themselves as next gen’s 2nd console, which will make either Sony or Microsoft 3rd next gen, making the stakes even higher.

MilkyJoe

... "PlayStation has never lacked for innovative thinking and it's hard not to wonder whether the company would have done more to change gaming for the better if the PS4 didn't have such a decided advantage in sales."
Wtflyingf??? :

Remote play with Vita (first to the show), afterwards with mobile and pc

Share Play, virtually lending your game to a friend on the internet?! _ who need demos if you have a friend with a big library lol _ no one else has this, it isn't game changing?

PS Now, both game subscription and a way to play bc games, for me a bad solution but, nonetheless, first to the show allowing competition to learn from mistakes

PS Vue, don't really care or need it but isn't it innovative?

PSVR?.... You want more change gaming, what mate?¡

keyboard-rage-gif-3.gif

ruvikx

Banned

That's your subjective opinion. I hold the contrary view, i.e. the Xbox controller is far, far superior. It has a better build (it has weight & doesn't feel cheap), has better triggers, feels better & I much prefer the offset sticks. The underused impulse trigger feature is also something Sony should do with their next PS5 controller.

When I'm buying a multiplatform game, I take into consideration several factors, but one of the most important (certainly for shooters) is the fact the Xbox has my preferred controller. I have GTA 5 on Xbox precisely because driving uses those impulse triggers which allows for better control & more immersion (Forza with the gamepad is also great in that regard). The PS4 version might have more grass, but I don't look at the grass when I'm playing GTA.

Last edited:

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
My concern with these "the Xbox is coming back! Just you wait!" pieces is that they seem to gloss over Microsoft's history of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

There's a modus operandi for Microsoft's non-Windows projects:

1. Put out a product that shows promise with a few innovations.
2. Coast on that initial release without realizing that it has to consistently provide that level of innovation.
3. Wonder why the product struggles in the marketplace,

Zune, Windows Mobile/Phone, and, yes, Xbox... the pattern plays out in a similar fashion, even if the timelines aren't always the same. Microsoft did have two generations where it pushed boundaries, but you can tell it was ready to coast on the Xbox One -- now that it had an edge in gaming, it could just use the Xbox as a Trojan horse for Windows in the living room, right?

And while I hope Microsoft sees the Xbox One as a lesson in the dangers of coasting, I won't be surprised if it treats the next model as more of a business vehicle than a real innovation. That is, it's more obsessed with pushing cloud services and subscriptions than making a good console.

Gavon West

My concern with these "the Xbox is coming back! Just you wait!" pieces is that they seem to gloss over Microsoft's history of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

There's a modus operandi for Microsoft's non-Windows projects:

1. Put out a product that shows promise with a few innovations.
2. Coast on that initial release without realizing that it has to consistently provide that level of innovation.
3. Wonder why the product struggles in the marketplace,

Zune, Windows Mobile/Phone, and, yes, Xbox... the pattern plays out in a similar fashion, even if the timelines aren't always the same. Microsoft did have two generations where it pushed boundaries, but you can tell it was ready to coast on the Xbox One -- now that it had an edge in gaming, it could just use the Xbox as a Trojan horse for Windows in the living room, right?

And while I hope Microsoft sees the Xbox One as a lesson in the dangers of coasting, I won't be surprised if it treats the next model as more of a business vehicle than a real innovation. That is, it's more obsessed with pushing cloud services and subscriptions than making a good console.

You're basically proven wrong by the Xbox One X console. They've already done what you've stated, and it's got services and uses subscriptions. How is it that you believe they will suddenly take a step back to the Xbox One console - that's pretty much what you described. I'm confused.

Gavon West

I'm 100% with you. Like i have already said to Blam, I'm not dismissing on Xbox or the positive side of the article. But when the author says that Sony didn't brought nothing game changing, like in other gens, because of the success of the ps4,,,, i just can't,,, maybe,,,, wait,,,, what? What can be more game changing than virtual reality made come true in our homes, on our present time! _ Not some vague future in the years to come where i could already be shaking like leaves and dripping from the down parts _ our present time!
Isn't game changing the ability to play my games on the go, with remote play, on my phone or the vita away from home? _ That's some serious 21 century wizardry for a 44 year old dudebro like myself lol.
And not even going to talk about live on Playstation, the most groundbreaking, game changing service of all times! (this guy clearly never saw the weekend late night crazy drunk strip tease shows...) 😁
I seriously cant read an opinion that uses 4 commas in a row - multiple times. It physically hurt me to read.

ruvikx

Banned

The exact same could be said of Sony. Those people announced a paywall multiplayer & everyone applauded. The absolute only reason Xbox struggled this gen & lost against the PS4 is because it was $100 more expansive at launch (with forced Kinect, i.e. a loathsome piece of shit with a camera made for god-knows-who or what reason) & it featured weaker hardware & suffered in direct comparison on certain titles in graphics (but not all, likewise the difference was often far less than observed during the PS3/Xbox 360 era when certain multiplatform titles were disgraceful on Sony's machine).

The other reasons I read about (cloud services etc.) are all bullshit which only affect the decision making of a minority of techie enthusiasts. When the proverbial casual player is standing in the store or shopping online, all he/she cares about is price + performance. That's it. Xbox One at $500 with Kinect & the biggest titles (Call of Duty etc.) performing better (even moderately) on Sony's $400 machine = a massive own goal for Microsoft.

Add the global appeal of the PlayStation brand (Xbox was late to the console table) & voilà, 80+ million PlayStation 4's sold & half the number for Xbox One. It's all rather predictable & not at all "mysterious". FYI, I've enjoyed my PS4 on certain titles (Destiny, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4 & some other multiplat games), whilst I've enjoyed my Xbox One for others (I'm just about to play Gears Ultimate on the One S, actually).

Next gen can be won by either side if they stick to fundamentals & don't allow ballcap to cloud their thinking (one of which is the belief "exclusive" titles drive sales, because they don't, i.e. multiplat games like COD, Fifa, GTA etc. remain the biggest console sellers).

Top Bottom