• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Bungie lawyer praises Sony discipline to "remove heads from asses"

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://thegamepost.com/ex-bungie-legal-sony-bungie-business-new-player/

In February 2024, Sony Group’s chief operating officer, Hiroki Totoki, noted that Bungie has “room for improvement” in business operations, particularly regarding the “use of business expenses and assuming accountability for development timelines.”

Destiny 2 has seen a whirlwind of changes recently, and according to former Bungie chief legal officer Don McGowan, much of that is thanks to Sony’s influence.

....Sony “inflicting some discipline” on Bungie brought exactly what was needed. “Much though it pains me to say this, it appears that Sony’s inflicting some discipline on my former colleagues may have forced them to fix the things that were wrong with their game,” said McGowan in a post on LinkedIn.

“To be clear: I’m not talking about the layoffs, I’m talking about forcing them to get their heads out of their asses and focus on things like: implementing a method of new player acquisition; not just doing fan service for the fans in the Bungie C-suite; and running the game like a business. Good. I still have friends in that environment and I’d like them to keep jobs.”

“This is the future I thought the company should embrace after the Sony acquisition: a studio, not an ‘independent company’. But there were a lot of egos for whom it was important to pretend that ‘nothing would change’.

“I remember sitting there during the deal saying ‘Do you think Sony describes this as them getting to pay $3.6 billion for the right to have no input into what Bungie does?’ That was exactly what a lot of people thought.

BlackTron

Sony buys Bungie so they can tell them how Sony should run their live service business, Sony proceeds to tell Bungie how they should run their live service business. Make it make sense.

I'm gonna have to tell you how to tell me how to run this business to make this work

Killjoy-NL

Anybody who has been somewhat following Bungie knows that Sony is cleaning ship and getting things sorted out, because Bungie was a big mess.

Getting acquired by Sony is one of the best things that could've happened to Bungie.

Last edited:

Fahdis

If Concord is anything to go by, I don't really trust in Sony's banter about heads out of asses. They're living in them.

Last edited:

hinch7

Sony buys Bungie so they can tell them how Sony should run their live service business, Sony proceeds to tell Bungie how they should run their live service business. Make it make sense.
Bungie were already running themselves into the ground. There are multiple reports for this.

If Sony hadn't done the aquisition, chances are Bungie would've collapsed or on its way out. They done them a massive favor. Only Bungie didn't help Sony a fraction as much as they did the other way round.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

If a former employee publicly criticises their former employer it’s more or less the same as someone making YT piano videos instead of playing a piano aka a fucking failure. Especially for a lawyer, they are a profession that is supposed to never, ever spill the beans.

clarky

Gold Member
Anybody who has been somewhat following Bungie knows that Sony is cleaning ship and getting things sorted out, because Bungie was a big mess.

Getting acquired by Sony is one of the best things that could've happened to Bungie.
Lets wait until we see results first but I'd agree with this , cleaning house was definitely needed

Gambit2483

Sony should have never given them free reign. Bungie squandered and wasted so much of that money and time with unnecessary crap like knitting classes and no development into new player acquisitions. Sony is partly to blame for this shit show.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Bungie is PlayStations most important studio.
sure-nodding.gif

LordCBH

Bungies own worst enemy has been Bungie. The way they’ve treated their games since splitting from their Activision partnership has really shown it.

Crayon

That story fits. If true we should expect.... what? I don't follow Bungie. I thought they printed money but turned out to be some kind of mess.

Kadve

People often talk of publishers in a negative light but more often than not its thanks to them that a game actually ends up made. By making sure the developers actually stick to a plan rather than wasting time and money by "experimenting".

Fun fact btw. One of the reasons Anthem turned out like it did (and before you say anything, The Frostbite situation was just part of the problem) was because EA gave Bioware a bit too much free reign and they ended up wasting work by the bucketload.

Top Bottom