• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Mulder

Funny how Kvyat's first move after the qualifying was to blame his team.

Unless he can massively impress over the rest of the season, this guy's time is over.

It's rough, but Redbull has a talent factory and you have a few seasons to cement yourself. He hasn't really done it and will get Verne'd.

Hasney

Didn't watch quali, but will watch at least the start of the race tomorrow and see how Hamilton/the team/the gods of Mario Kart will fuck it up for him.

It's rough, but Redbull has a talent factory and you have a few seasons to cement yourself. He hasn't really done it and will get Verne'd.

Which is fune. Formula E is usually more interesting anyway.

Pterion

Tomorrow's race will be interesting.
The start will be interesting. That's about it, I'm afraid.

Very excited about Verstappen. Not a fan at all, but I admire sheer speed/talent, and looks like he's the real deal. As a big Hamilton fan, I'm slightly concerned about this new kid, and I can't say that about any other driver on the grid. My 2cents.

Chumpion

I don't see what's so monumental about Verstappen losing to his teammate by 0.4 seconds. That's about as well as Kvyat did against Sainz.

So. Fucking. Done. With. This. Team.
Don't worry men! dat Canada "Forza Italia Forza Ferrari" Upgrade
Joking aside, why is Massa still on a slightly competitive F1 Team while Vandoorne is cocking about in japan? Old man gonna old
Great work from VES i feared this weekend he was gonna struggle finding the car, but it was close fight with RIC, where he got around 4 tenths faster than RIC only for him to give him back the favor on Q3 and beating him by a pretty similar margin.
VES got on better with the Red Bull than Kvyat who was soundly beaten by SAI

I don't see what's so monumental about Verstappen losing to his teammate by 0.4 seconds. That's about as well as Kvyat did against Sainz.

This.

Ricci kicked his ass.....

Being half a second slower than a team mate in the same machine is the mark of huge talent and great speed it seems......

RSP

This.

Being half a second slower than a team mate in the same machine is the mark of huge talent and great speed it seems......

Don't know how much of a hype he is in other countries, but over here it's insane.

I've seen 5 of 6 different commercials with Max, and they run all the time. There even is a Max Verstappen day coming up where you can meet him and ride a F1 car.

My four year old was dancing in front of the TV holding up a Max verstappen magazine when the guy was on, and I've NEVER heard him say anything about racing or F1 before.

Max is huge, and the marketing is probably why people are so excited. Me too by the way. Just love seeing a kid from my country do well in F1.

DD

This.

I think Max is a prick, but let's be honest: it's his first time with that car. The boy is good, but Daniel is good too, and way more experienced with that car and track combo. I'm not saying that eventually Max will be ahead of Daniel (I hope not, since Dan is my favorite driver =P), but it's too early to get on conclusions. IF Max had beaten Daniel, maybe we could be saying that Max really is a monster (not that he is not), but today's result was expected.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
This.

It's a bit hard to rate the result. Verstappen was faster in all other sessions. But Ricciardo beat him considerably in the end. Was Verstappen's last lap bad, or did Ricciardo just have a perfect lap? Was Ricciardo just not driving on the limit in Q3 and Q2 to avoid making a mistake and not making it into the next session? Didn't pay enough attention to be able to give an answer. In any case, if a difference of 0.4 really represents their actual pace, then Verstappen's result was solid but not particularly spectacular.

Breakage

Very excited about Verstappen. Not a fan at all, but I admire sheer speed/talent, and looks like he's the real deal. As a big Hamilton fan, I'm slightly concerned about this new kid, and I can't say that about any other driver on the grid. My 2cents.

Yeah, Max is rapid, didn't expect him to place so high up on the grid today. It's good to see someone new tho.

Aiii

So not worth it
It's a bit hard to rate the result. Verstappen was faster in all other sessions. But Ricciardo beat him considerably in the end. Was Verstappen's last lap bad, or did Ricciardo just have a perfect lap? Was Ricciardo just not driving on the limit in Q3 and Q2 to avoid making a mistake and not making it into the next session? Didn't pay enough attention to be able to give an answer. In any case, if a difference of 0.4 really represents their actual pace, then Verstappen's result was solid but not particularly spectacular.

Judging from his reaction on the radio, he drove the perfect lap. Which is not to say that he shouldn't be ahead of Verstappen at this moment, if a driver comes in on a weeks notice and is completely unfamiliar with the team, the car, the engine (somewhat) it would have been ridiculous had Verstappen placed ahead of him after Ricciardo put in a normal lap without errors.

Now wether Verstappen's result was spectecular, who knows? I don't believe it truely matters at this point, all that matters right now is that Verstappen gets used to his new engineers, the team in general, the car specifically and then see where he ends up. He's starting off pretty well, so that's good, lets see if he doesn't have a slow start like he's been having lately tomorrow and go from there.

Kid is 18, he has quite a bit of time to get where he needs to be, the fact that he didn't seem to experience any trouble performing under pressure is good enough for now.

I think Max is a prick, but let's be honest: it's his first time with that car. The boy is good, but Daniel is good too, and way more experienced with that car and track combo. I'm not saying that eventually Max will be ahead of Daniel (I hope not, since Dan is my favorite driver =P), but it's too early to get on conclusions. IF Max had beaten Daniel, maybe we could be saying that Max really is a monster (not that he is not), but today's result was expected.

Judging from his reaction on the radio, he drove the perfect lap. Which is not to say that he shouldn't be ahead of Verstappen at this moment, if a driver comes in on a weeks notice and is completely unfamiliar with the team, the car, the engine (somewhat) it would have been ridiculous had Verstappen placed ahead of him after Ricciardo put in a normal lap without errors.

Now wether Verstappen's result was spectecular, who knows? I don't believe it truely matters at this point, all that matters right now is that Verstappen gets used to his new engineers, the team in general, the car specifically and then see where he ends up. He's starting off pretty well, so that's good, lets see if he doesn't have a slow start like he's been having lately tomorrow and go from there.

Kid is 18, he has quite a bit of time to get where he needs to be, the fact that he didn't seem to experience any trouble performing under pressure is good enough for now.

Not disagreeing with any of this, just disagreeing with celebrating a lap with a gap that would normally have had people cringing in an "ouch, half a sec slower" type manner.

hamchan

Kvyat is done. Blaming his team in his first race since being demoted. Not a good look. Maybe he was always that insufferable behind the scenes that made everyone dislike him enough to drop him.

Also the qually result between Max and Ricciardo was to be expected, though it did feel like a few people here got carried away with the Max hype. When he was going faster than Ricciardo in those few sessions people were already calling Max "the new Senna", that he was "destroying" Ricciardo, "RIP Ricciardo".

People need to be more realistic, not underestimate how good Danny Ricciardo is, and also just be happy that Max looks good in the car even if he's not beating his teammate right now.

Inevitable based on the comments by Marchionne and the result.

But that would be stupid. His job is to create the best structure for the team and hire the best people. If he had done that, then there's nothing more they could do with the stupid restrictions the current F1 has.

You can replace the principal every race if you like, but that won't change the facts on the ground.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
But that would be stupid. His job is to create the best structure for the team and hire the best people. If he had done that, then there's nothing more they could do with the stupid restrictions the current F1 has.

You can replace the principal every race if you like, but that won't change the facts on the ground.

And yet they were beaten in qualifying by a Renault-powered car, bound by the same restrictions, driven by an 18 year old who hadn't stepped into the car until the day prior.

ramparter

Banned
You do realize this is the first race in the RBR car for Max?
Heck, people don't realize this is just one qualifying session. Let's have this discussion after 4-5 races.

Oh and btw people forget that Max's strongest trait is his racing performance. In qualifying I remember him closser to Sainz, some times beaten. In the race it was a very different story. I expect him to shine today.

And yet they were beaten in qualifying by a Renault-powered car, bound by the same restrictions, driven by an 18 year old who hadn't stepped into the car until the day prior.

I fail to see where his fault is. He came when it was a bit too late to fix the fundamental clusterfucks that the previous team have made. Redbull is an established team which had only one weak point which is the engine. Everything else is tight. Ferrari on the other hand was in shambles and every area of the team had to go through changes and overhauling (no pun intended). Those kind of changes take time to show effect

I have a meeting that starts with the race. This will be the first race I miss in so many years

If Kimi wins it.. we can say we identified what the real problem is

I usually find Barcelona to be the worst race of the season. Even the tiniest, vaguest shadow of something resembling excitement will be most welcome.

My prediction: somebody will win and it'll be fucking boring.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Big accident in GP2 involving Giovinazzi.

As far as Barcelona is concerned, both GP3 races were absolutely boring, with 0 overtaking. The GP2 races however were much more exciting with some good overtaking. F1 could go either way.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I fail to see where his fault is. He came when it was a bit too late to fix the fundamental clusterfucks that the previous team have made. Redbull is an established team which had only one weak point which is the engine. Everything else is tight. Ferrari on the other hand was in shambles and every area of the team had to go through changes and overhauling (no pun intended). Those kind of changes take time to show effect

Well who else's fault is it? It's not like the rules are stopping them from progressing - they're actually losing ground!

Also, lol @ referring to RB as the "established team" compared to Ferrari!

Mastah

The idiot being the guy in the front right? I'm not really good at the rules but I think it was unfair last minute change of direction.

Yeah, of course. Leave the fucking space for the other guy and don't change fucking racing line. If you don't, one race weekend ban should be issued.

Mastah

Sean Gelael ‏@gelaelized

After the penalty yesterday, started my race 17th and finished 13th. Positive vibes all round. Thanks everyone for the support. #Vamos

And I would add another race weekend ban solely for this tweet.

Well who else's fault is it? It's not like the rules are stopping them from progressing - they're actually losing ground!

Also, lol @ referring to RB as the "established team" compared to Ferrari!

They're a very successful team. What I meant is that they didn't need any restructuring, so they can focus solely on performance.

Ferrari has so many legacy issues and a change of hands at the top twice in 2 years which by any measure is not a good thing to have.

Who's fault is it? Dominicali whom they insisted on keeping although the team was going backwards since he took the helm.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Something totally messed up their tyre operating window yesterday, because it was known that car performs much better in hotter conditions.

Who's fault is it? Dominicali whom they insisted on keeping although the team was going backwards since he took the helm.

He was covering his ass with blaming others. They lost a lot of experienced engineers during his era.

And now the big boss is attending almost every race and he demands results. No wonder that Arrivabene and team members are feeling even more pressure, which leads into mistakes and failed, rushed upgrades.

I don't see what's so monumental about Verstappen losing to his teammate by 0.4 seconds.

Well his team and most of the world saw an 18 year old getting right on the pace in a new car pushing for third place and putting pressure on his team mate for the first time forcing the best out of Ricciardo resulting in both cars right behind Mercedes and in front of Ferrari for the first time but what the hell do they know .

Aiii

So not worth it
Heck, people don't realize this is just one qualifying session. Let's have this discussion after 4-5 races.

Oh and btw people forget that Max's strongest trait is his racing performance. In qualifying I remember him closser to Sainz, some times beaten. In the race it was a very different story. I expect him to shine today.

The big question mark is Max's starts, they have been less than stellar all season so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom