• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, race starts at 5 a.m. UK time, is there any compelling reason to get up and watch the race?

Might be worth it for Haas's first race and McLaren's inevitable shitshow. Also, would love to see Torro Rosso beating Red Bull.

It's currently my plan, who knows if I'll actually manage to get up though.

muteki

What are they supposed to do that's any different? Every car absolutely must go out immediately at the start of a session. Period. They must absolutely be on the softest possible tyre. Period. Each car as a set X number of tyre sets total to use they must wear out more of now. There is no avoiding these facts. What some teams have tried to do in the past of sneaking through Q1 on primes or going out mid-session with less traffic are no longer possible strategies. Lord knows what happens to anyone who gets caught behind any local yellow, a VSC during the session (would kill everyone on track instantly), and I don't even know if there are red flag provisions. If anything it'll just be worse. Today had 100% dry conditions, a mid-size track with enough room for spacing and zero yellows. It could only ever possibly get worse.

Maybe you weigh the options and it isn't worth the extra wear and tear to fight for scraps in starting position. Maybe not. It's clear that this particular format won't work unless the teams feel like they have the parts/tires necessary to run all out for the duration. Making flying laps count on knockout would go a long way, but still isn't addressing the root of the problem. But it is moot, I'm sure we will be back to the old way in a race or two.

Massa

Elimination qualifying would work great if they had to keep doing laps throughout the entire session, with the last completed lap always being the recorded one. It'd be like a mini-race of sorts.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I hated the effect elimination qualifying had on the experience.

Not a single fast lap in the last 5 minutes of qualifying, who the hell thought that was a good idea?

The worst, most boring qualifying session in my 30+ years of watching F1.

andshrew

Cut down all free training sessions and do one hour long qualifying session.

You would save money, you would see action... but that's too simple.

So you'd get 50 minutes of race simulations then one or two attempts at a hot lap... ala P3 at the moment. Doesn't sound that great.

Goldrusher

KgcoxGE.jpg
lol

dubc35

hey, looks like the season is about over. I'll wait for race pace but not looking good.

Merc domination.

At least McHonda is super fast like we all thought they would be.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't mind the knockout approach but they shouldn't bother in Q3 - that never really had a problem with people trying.

At least McHonda is super fast like we all thought they would be.

Absolutely, third fastest car.

Great job by McLaren and Honda, qualy map to come next race, big performance steps coming for Bahrain and China according to Alonso.

A double PTS finish tomorrow, maybe a podium.

Onwards and upwards.

McNum

I totally missed Qualifying because I overslept. And the race is one hour earlier tomorrow. Fun.

Anyway, I can rewind on my DVR and watch it if it's worth watching, but from this thread... consensus seems to be leaning towards "Don't." Is there anything really worth watching in Qualifying, like at all? I imagine the results, like always are Hamilton, Rosberg, Vettel and then the rest in weighted random order?

Line_HTX

We wish. Hell even the qual was like 90% adverts on NBC, but not like we were missing much racing anyway lol

Even the side-by-side commercials during the USGP weren't enough.

At least this time anyone who's going to COTA will be treated with Taylor Swift this year, lmao

Come to Texas, Dutch. ;P

Xun

It's a shame Manor don't seem to be doing much better so far, but that could be down to the inexperience of the drivers.

Even the side-by-side commercials during the USGP weren't enough.

At least this time anyone who's going to COTA will be treated with Taylor Swift this year, lmao

Come to Texas, Dutch. ;P

Taylor isn't even worth it to watch Hamilton crush my soul again. He won the last time I went to a race, But at least Ferrari had a shot then.

It's a shame Manor don't seem to be doing much better so far, but that could be down to the inexperience of the drivers.

Forever last even if they had the best drivers.

Has that tit Ted Kravitz piped up after saying they would be faster than McLaren this weekend?

ramparter

Banned
Absolutely, third fastest car.

Great job by McLaren and Honda, qualy map to come next race, big performance steps coming for Bahrain and China according to Alonso.

A double PTS finish tomorrow, maybe a podium.

Onwards and upwards.
Wax went to the next level. He now watches different broadcasts than the rest of us.

Don't take me wrong, I want to see Nando fighting for the wdc more than anyone else but this is just sad.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
What's the deal with Kimi's portrait photo on gppredictor.com?

D3EDh9n.png

The guy is just not photogenic at all.

How is the experience live? Now that I have more time/money to go I am interested in checking out the Texas GP, but I don't really have many friends interested in F1 to roll with. I had a friend that went to the Singapore and Canadian GP and enjoyed them. I would like to see a competitive race though lol, and Hamilton already won the championship before we even got to COTA last year...

No idea why it's taken me this long to post here.

This is going to be another Mercedes shitfest, sadly. Here is hoping for a close fight behind (#GoHoneyBadger) though.

P.S.

joined the predictor league :D

P.P.S.

damn, too late to predict the Australian GP

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Agreed, stop trying to fix things that are not broken.

Their intention was never to improve qualifying. They wanted to shuffle the grid by introducing an element of chaos. Basically, they screwed up qualifying to give non-Mercedes and non-Ferrari cars a chance to end up at the top. How did that work out for them...

One major issue—if not the major issue—in F1 is that they are trying to fix some fundamental problems, like the lack of competition and racing at the top of the field, through convoluted bandaid rules.

No Monza? Holy shit. Also, Imola, holy shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom