• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2016 Season |OT| This thread is unavailable due to a copyright claim by FOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I wonder if Button will pick up another series next year. Can't imagine his "ambassador" job will keep him that busy or scratch that racing itch.

dalin80

Banned
I wonder if Button will pick up another series next year. Can't imagine his "ambassador" job will keep him that busy or scratch that racing itch.

Rumour mill has McLaren entering road based cars in more GT categories and *possibly* an LMP effort in which case his name and F1 link could add some interest in there.

NHale

I guess next seasons car didn't look competitive enough for him to stay. Now the question is if Alonso also jumps ship.

There are rumors that if Renault shows improvement next year he goes back there, if both McLaren and Renault are stuck once again, he will probably leave F1.

Don't know why anyone thinks 1 year off from F1 will be good for someone like Button considering his age. He should just go to WEC pair him with Webber at Porsche and make team briefings the new Sunday comedy show.

xrnzaaas

I don't see Button coming back unless Alonso quits at the last moment during the 2017 season and the team doesn't have a solid replacement. Gonna miss him, seemed like a very likeable guy.

Jezbollah

It seems clear that Button doesn't want to leave the McLaren organisation given his announcement - I do wonder if he'll lead some kind of Official P1 GT project or something.

RoKKeR

What happened to GUT in Q3? He had a great time in Q2, nowhere to be seen in Q3.

This race is going to be over after the first lap, isn't it?

John_B

What a complete failure it would have been if F1 managed to loose Vandoorne. Not having Button next season is disappointing though. He could easily have gone to Williams and still be perceived as a good driver. This ambassador stuff will be wide open for him when he retires anyway.

tomtom94

Had to admit, I assumed Button would go back to Williams for symmetry purposes - but then Williams have struggled this season and I doubt he has any reason to expect it to get better next year.

I don't think he'll race in 2018. It's a "soft exit" rather than a retirement.

Lego Boss

Like, I understand this, but is it really worth being a pitied #2 with a multiple-time WDC champion in front of you, someone who makes more than twice what you do, and suffer countless humiliations on a regular basis? Just look at him in this press conference for his mindset. He's a smart enough man to know that literally any driver in the field could do what he does in that car. Gets paid, yeah, but the weight of being painfully average is always above him. He could get some actual kudos elsewhere, develop that team, repair his reputation, and try to forge a legacy as more than someone who was Hamilton's slave for years. Easily half a dozen other drivers in the field that fans feel have more talent and could do more in an instant were they in his seat.

You can call him the New Webber but Webber had his true moments of joy when he stood out on his own. He also grew to accept the situation and just tried to enjoy himself. Most importantly, he had deep fan respect and support that kept him going in rough times. Rosberg is a crowd villain, plus you can see that it just kills him inside to get owned continuously. Clearly not comfortable with his position. He's in line to have a F1 career that made him a lot of money, not make a name for himself in any real historical context, which is just pathetic.

Accepting money as a consolation for having your ego and very soul pounded on continuously is sorta pathetic.

It's a race winning car. Yes, in a 1-1 he won't be #blessed, but tgere will always be times when he can take the W. Surely that alone is worth driving with Merc (on top of the massive amount of coin).

If it wasn't HAM, VET or ALO he was with, l'm pretty sure that he could win the WDC in that car.

InertiaXr

Has Rosberg legitimately beat Hamilton even once on true pace when Hamilton has cared in the past 3 years? Stuff like the last 3 races of 2015 doesn't really count IMO because HAM already completed his task for the year at that point. Have they had a straight fight both without car problems where the championship isn't locked up yet and Rosberg beat Hamilton even once?

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Has Rosberg legitimately beat Hamilton even once on true pace when Hamilton has cared in the past 3 years? Stuff like the last 3 races of 2015 doesn't really count IMO because HAM already completed his task for the year at that point. Have they had a straight fight both without car problems where the championship isn't locked up yet and Rosberg beat Hamilton even once?

Baku?

Absolutely zero atmosphere at the track today. Ferrari fans did their best to get behind the team but ultimately it was hard to get excited about what was always going to be a foregone conclusion.

Probably the least enjoyable day I've had at the track of all my visits. Hopefully there are some incidents to spice up the race tomorrow or I think it's going to be a tedious day.

nekkid

Absolutely zero atmosphere at the track today. Ferrari fans did their best to get behind the team but ultimately it was hard to get excited about what was always going to be a foregone conclusion.

Probably the least enjoyable day I've had at the track of all my visits. Hopefully there are some incidents to spice up the race tomorrow or I think it's going to be a tedious day.

Sounds like you didn't drink enough Peroni.

Sounds like the Tifosi came there already knowing they were going to get roflstomped.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Wehrlein will do first 2017 tyre tests for Mercedes next week at Paul Richard

Ron Dennis and the Choir boys
CrciTSGWgAAkywv.jpg

How long is Vettel contracted to Ferrari for? I can't help but feel he's going to be looking for a way out soon.Not sure Williams could afford him but that's the last half decent team available for next year.

John_B

Rosberg could have been champion back in 2014 and this season is still very open. Every driver wants exactly this seat. You have to consider that Hamilton will retire a legend that dwarfs all the British drivers before him. His ability is maxed in every attribute like a vehicle you unlock with cheat codes. Rosberg can be as quick as nearly anyone, but through a whole race weekend he falls short somewhere. I'm absolutely certain he would match or better most in the field not named Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso or Ricciardo. So while it must suck to be outclassed most weekends, it must be glorious to beat the Schumacher/Senna of this generation on a good day.

Meadows

Banned
Really happy that Manor made it to Q2 again. I'll admit the only reason I follow them is because thier cars look so nice but improvement is always great to see for such a minnow.

Well done Pascal!

One more season iirc.

He's gotta try to land a Merc or Red Bull seat for 18 then. I know James Allison's circumstances are dreadful and his departure was always going to be inevitable, but Ferrari are probably on the decline now he's gone and Red Bull will probably overtake them next year. Their aero is first rate and the wider cars of next season will only give them more to play with.

As a side note Bottas had very good qualifying. With this years Williams he was able to pull ahead of Red Bulls (of course this being Monza made it possible in the first place) and teammate nowhere to be seen.

nekkid

He's gotta try to land a Merc or Red Bull seat for 18 then. I know James Allison's circumstances are dreadful and his departure was always going to be inevitable, but Ferrari are probably on the decline now he's gone and Red Bull will probably overtake them next year. Their aero is first rate and the wider cars of next season will only give them more to play with.

Yep. RB are probably the favourites for next season, unless Renault perform a colossal fuck up.

Lego Boss

Yep. RB are probably the favourites for next season, unless Renault perform a colossal fuck up.

Still want to see that dream team of GJ and #blessed.

Might never happen, but we can always postulate who is quicker (no need here as already done earlier in the thread).

Would be almost as good as a Crashtappen/Crashtor partnership.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
It is.

I know it's childish, petty and whatnot, but for some reason it really annoys me.

It's not a typical Flemish name. It's a rare name in the Netherlands, but you can find it all over the country. Personally, whenever I hear the name I'm reminded of the Fabeltjeskrant character "Stoffel de schildpad" (Stoffel the Turtle) who drove around in a car that broke down all the time until all the animals in the forest got togehter and built a "fast" steam car for clumsy, slow Stoffel.

nekkid

Interesting idea popped up in my news feed: Button's option for 2018 is an insurance policy for experience if Alonso chooses not to renew. Ron has denied it (obviously), but sounds plausible.

Jezbollah

Interesting idea popped up in my news feed: Button's option for 2018 is an insurance policy for experience if Alonso chooses not to renew. Ron has denied it (obviously), but sounds plausible.

I would say that's more than plausible. I suspect there's either an understanding or a great deal of anticipation that next year will be Alonso's last year at McLaren if that package is not at the sharp end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom