• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 7 |OT| The 7 you've been waiting for!

danowat

Banned
So, are we able to set the time of day now (be it during day or night racing)? How exactly am I supposed to set up, say, early morning lighting in free race? Is it random on each startup of the game? Is it tied to track and track layout? I can't find the option to configure this. There's some awesome weather / time of day combination in the early career races I've tried that I'm just unable to recreate in free race.

You aren't, it's random.

GHG

Gold Member
To be fair, didnt it have a voiceover that said "your first car is on us..."

I knew the first car was free but I had no idea they were going to lock me out of purchasing cars needed to participate in the other championships shortly after. A heads up would have been appreciated. Either that or the game needed to steer you towards one of those two championships.

Caayn

Can we disable the voice over? I don't need a standard PR talk for everything and I certainly don't need one telling me to buy loot boxes.

E92 M3

That's what happens when you let a gambling addict write a review. ;p

Nothing shameful about refunding this version and getting a standard one. :) The more people do that the more likely it is they'll bring back permanent rewards in Horizon 4 (also remember - no pre-orders ;p).

Playing the game sends a positive message to them. I am usually not the one to protest games, but it was really shitty to do that with the VIP pass.

I am fine with the standard for now. I will go VIP if they correct the issues with it. Otherwise I am absolutely loving the game. My favourite Forza.

That's good to hear. My favorite Forza was 3 - how's it like compared to that?

danowat

Banned
Great. Maybe the options are found in a prize crate?

05d.jpg

GHG

Gold Member
Can we disable the voice over? I don't need a standard PR talk for everything and I certainly don't need one telling me to buy loot boxes.

No.

Don't resist, buy more lootboxes. Your driver looks like a scrub, gamble for some new gear.

xrnzaaas

Playing the game sends a positive message to them. I am usually not the one to protest games, but it was really shitty to do that with the VIP pass

I know I know, it's just hard to say no to Forza when other racing games have severe issues preventing me from spending 100+ hours with them. :)

That's good to hear. My favorite Forza was 3 - how's it like compared to that?

My favourite previous Forza was 3 as well. I haven't played it in a long, long time so I don't think I could do a direct comparison. I love the career system in Forza 7. It's point based so you don't necessarily have to come into the first three positions to progress. I also like how the events have me jumping in and out of different cars regularly. I like to mix it up and I have my favourites for each type of event.

I also love the build up to more powerful cars. I guess I'm old school in that respect.

Luckydog

I knew the first car was free but I had no idea they were going to lock me out of purchasing cars needed to participate in the other championships shortly after. A heads up would have been appreciated. Either that or the game needed to steer you towards one of those two championships.

Fair point on the lock out.

Feeroper

Man I'd REALLY like to get this game, but the loot boxes have really turned me off here.

Is there really a realistic way to enjoy this game without having to get involved with the loot boxes? Is there any content that is just completely unattainable unless you use a loot box? From what I have read the mods are all in loot boxes - are there any cars that are only attainable via loot box?

Also, with the new tier system, I've seen some comments suggesting that this is a way to encourage loot boxes if you want to buy cars in a tier above - is this true?

Its getting difficult to judge where the truth lies here with some players being extremely scathing about it and others being ultra defenders. I believe the truth is likely somewhere in the middle, but I cant really tell.

Ultimately I don't want to support the loot crate practice that gates content behind terrible grinding, but I'm also seeing a lot of praise for this one noting it as a high point in the FM series. I'm torn. At least with Shadow of War I'm completely off put by the way they have implemented their loot boxes so its a no brainer, I'm avoiding that game as it looks like a mobile game on console that also just happens to cost $80 (CDN) - but FM7 looks amazing and is getting praised as such. I'm hoping the loot crate thing is just a fad they got in on and wont go much further, but I suspect that it will be a mainstay from here forward. I worry if I give in and buy the game I'm sending the wrong message, that 'Im okay with this, but on the other hand, if I don't buy it, I'm worried that I'm passing on an amazing game due to a potentially overblown issue.

Is there any content that is just completely unattainable unless you use a loot box? From what I have read the mods are all in loot boxes - are there any cars that are only attainable via loot box?

There's no way to be 100% sure right now. Unless people datamine the game.

danowat

Banned
Man I'd REALLY like to get this game, but the loot boxes have really turned me off here.

Is there really a realistic way to enjoy this game without having to get involved with the loot boxes? Is there any content that is just completely unattainable unless you use a loot box? From what I have read the mods are all in loot boxes - are there any cars that are only attainable via loot box?

Also, with the new tier system, I've seen some comments suggesting that this is a way to encourage loot boxes if you want to buy cars in a tier above - is this true?

Its getting difficult to judge where the truth lies here with some players being extremely scathing about it and others being ultra defenders. I believe the truth is likely somewhere in the middle, but I cant really tell.

Putting my hatred for these RNG slot machine mechanics aside.......

You can still have fun with the driving part, the fact that there are crates doesn't make the driving any less fun, that said, it's clear that the economy, the way the car tier system works, the way the announcer keeps saying "Hey, buy a prize crate", and the way that the prize crate button is pretty much on every single menu mean that it's hard to ignore completely.

The truth is that there are lots of varying stances on these things, some people like them, some people hate them, and some people are ambivalent.

Whether you should avoid it or not should probably come down to your personal opinion on these things.

E92 M3

I know I know, it's just hard to say no to Forza when other racing games have severe issues preventing me from spending 100+ hours with them. :)

That is true. Will make a decision this weekend :p

My favourite previous Forza was 3 as well. I haven't played it in a long, long time so I don't think I could do a direct comparison. I love the career system in Forza 7. It's point based so you don't necessarily have to come into the first three positions to progress. I also like how the events have me jumping in and out of different cars regularly. I like to mix it up and I have my favourites for each type of event.

I also love the build up to more powerful cars. I guess I'm old school in that respect.

We seem to have a similar taste! Thanks.

--

On another note, the game is getting destroyed on Amazon. I hope Turn10 make an announcement and get ahead of this. Just make the VIP pass have the same perks as it always had.

Boom.

GHG

Gold Member
What's the name of the weather condition where it looks like it's just finished raining and the track is wet but slightly foggy?

Because it's stunning.

Fox Mulder

Ultimately I don't want to support the loot crate practice that gates content behind terrible grinding, but I'm also seeing a lot of praise for this one noting it as a high point in the FM series. I'm torn. At least with Shadow of War I'm completely off put by the way they have implemented their loot boxes so its a no brainer, I'm avoiding that game as it looks like a mobile game on console that also just happens to cost $80 (CDN) - but FM7 looks amazing and is getting praised as such. I'm hoping the loot crate thing is just a fad they got in on and wont go much further, but I suspect that it will be a mainstay from here forward. I worry if I give in and buy the game I'm sending the wrong message, that 'Im okay with this, but on the other hand, if I don't buy it, I'm worried that I'm passing on an amazing game due to a potentially overblown issue.

It is a great game. T10 just really fucked up with months of silence after E3 to explain this stuff, like they were ashamed and hiding it. They fucked up the VIP bonuses too and will have to make that right with free shit or something, they even changed the language on the product description. Wow.

The game is obnoxiously built around pushing loot crates and the game reminds you constantly, but you can apparently ignore them otherwise. I haven't felt the need to buy one and have just been playing races. I level up and get a car. I'm at a million credits already with tier 11 Forza rewards and just winning races. Just bought a formula e car too.

It seems overblown to me now really.

What's the name of the weather condition where it looks like it's just finished raining and the track is wet but slightly foggy?

Because it's stunning.

Here's what I've noticed so far about the conditions:

Do your headlights actually cast light on the road? If yes, it's Night.
Is the road wet, or will it be wet at any point? If yes, it's Rain.
If neither of those is true, it's "Day" (which also includes sunset/overcast).

Once you've determined the weather type, unfortunately the next part is to simply keep loading up a race in those conditions until you RNG the one you want.

The loot boxes dont bother me.

I played for about 2 hours last night and when I got to about 350,000 credits I bought the 300,000 credit chest. It had one car, an outfit and some mods. Hardly worth the money.

Going forward I'll hold onto my credits, they are very easy to come by and see no need to purchase crates.

I also don't feel the need to HAVE to buy a specific car. I like racing and I'll drive what the game gives me.

Ok thanks.

How about simulation or normal steering using a controller? Is simulation only really for wheels?

Also, is there a way to purchase a car for a championship race directly from the championship event selection screen? It says there are x number of purchasable cars, but I can't select the event. Do I need to memorize what events are available, then navigate 6 menus away to the purchase screen to buy a car so I can compete?

DO NOT run without ABS until you are very familiar with the game. VERY FAMILIAR. Having the wheels lock up at every turn is not fun and will make you hate the game.

Most car post 1980's have some form of ABS anyway. Traction control and Stability control I would use on most high powered cars.

Gek54

Sim turns off everything to do with aided steering, back in forza 3 and I think 4 people could still tell that steering had some sort of safety net applied even when you turned off all settings for abs,TCS, stuff like that.

In forza 6 at least simulation steering meant that if you got into a drift it was much harder to regain control because the game is not assisting your steering in any way, it makes driving with the controller harder but not impossible.

However, some twitch streamers are saying sim steering doesn't feel right on wheels and that normal steering is better, not sure if that's truly the case or they just can't handle SIM steering right now.

They can't handle driving without the aid and I would bet their FF settings could use a better tune. Normal feels like it has a dynamic ratio which feels awful and unpredictable to me, it also feels like it has some auto steering when you get the car sideways.

xrnzaaas

Has anyone done the sports compact race? I swear the RX-8 sounds like a kazoo.

That's Wankel engine right there.

DO NOT run without ABS until you are very familiar with the game. VERY FAMILIAR. Having the wheels lock up at every turn is not fun and will make you hate the game.

Most car post 1980's have some form of ABS anyway. Traction control and Stability control I would use on most high powered cars.

Are you playing with a controller? Imo the XONE pad has VERY sensitive triggers compared to Sony's Dualshock. I was constantly locking up brakes in Horizon 2 and Forza 6 when I bought the XONE. What's funny is that I didn't have these problems with the 360 controller.

zorbsie

Hit level 100 earlier. Game is fantastic. I don't mind the loot boxes. I bought a couple and I don't bother with the mods at all now. Level and credit progression is fine. I've just been playing the game as I normally would and I have enough to get the car I want to drive in the next championship. I do think the VIP consumable is pure trash. They sold us a consumable coin doubler. I can excuse lots of things, but this is just bad. I hope Turn10 come back and fix this. This will be the last ultimate edition I buy.

Right now I'd rather have the memory leak and texture streaming fixed, but yeah FH4 is definitely not a pre-order here.

All the goodwill from FH3 that led me to get this is gone.

So, not sure this is the correct thread to ask this, but.. This game got me thinking about Xbox X enhanced games. Are they going to program the game for the base system and add enhancements, or will they begin making games with the X version in mind, and downgrade them to run on the original system?

danowat

Banned
Hit level 100 earlier. Game is fantastic. I don't mind the loot boxes. I bought a couple and I don't bother with the mods at all now. Level and credit progression is fine. I've just been playing the game as I normally would and I have enough to get the car I want to drive in the next championship. I do think the VIP consumable is pure trash. They sold us a consumable coin doubler. I can excuse lots of things, but this is just bad. I hope Turn10 come back and fix this. This will be the last ultimate edition I buy.

If you've hit level 100 already, I'd hazard a guess that your "playing normally" is probably an outlier!

So, not sure this is the correct thread to ask this, but.. This game got me thinking about Xbox X enhanced games. Are they going to program the game for the base system and add enhancements, or will they begin making games with the X version in mind, and downgrade them to run on the original system?

I don't see why we should expect poorer experiences on base Xbox One.

We've had decades of PC games that look amazing on high end system yet work well on lower end.

Gek54

My favorite is the VIP rivals section because nothing interest me more than having my competition limited to the 1 or 2 friends that are also vip meanwhile the more competitive friends have the standard version.

Azzawon

Level 100 already?! Damn, I remember you levelled hella fast on FH3 but that is just something else. I'll admit, I'm level 60 but only because I've used the RAM exploit to gain ~40 levels and buy myself the Renault R.S.17 :p
which was a complete fucking waste of money because I can only race it in Free Play

That's Wankel engine right there.

Are you playing with a controller? Imo the XONE pad has VERY sensitive triggers compared to Sony's Dualshock. I was constantly locking up brakes in Horizon 2 and Forza 6 when I bought the XONE. What's funny is that I didn't have these problems with the 360 controller.

I do play with a XB1 controller and I've learned how to play w/o ABS on most vehicles but that was after a long time.

I'm just saying for someone new to the game I wouldn't not turn it off. It takes a good deal of skill to brake then turn and not brake during the turn. Doing so with the ABS off is a recipe for disaster and lead to a lot of frustration. Plus like you say the triggers are sensitive so you have to be more delicate on the brake to not lock up all the time.

GHG

Gold Member
Ok this championship "you don't have to win every race" thing is proving to be unbalanced.

You do need to win pretty much every race to win the championship. Why? Because the same Drivatar is winning every single race you fail to finish first in.

It's like trying to compete with Michael Schumacher in his heyday.

Ok this championship "you don't have to win every race" thing is proving to be unbalanced.

You do need to win pretty much every race to win the championship. Why? Because the same Drivatar is winning every single race you fail to finish first in.

Be Alonso.

They even give you a Renault.

/s

Must have missed that, what's the RAM exploit?

Using the VIP Ram Runner XP bonus to get 7500xp every 30-35 seconds (30 of the race plus loadings, menus, etc).

Azzawon

Damage off > Daniil Kvyat mode at the first corner of the next race > Profit

Must have missed that, what's the RAM exploit?

If you jump in the Dodge RAM Forza Edition, set up Free Play to be 30 second races at the Airfield with 0 AI you receive 20,000 XP each time due to the bonuses from the Forza Edition car. It's lazy and cheap, but I really wanted that F1 car.

Edit: wait, it's 7,500? I'm dumb

GHG

Gold Member

I'm trying to play this game with rewind off and full damage mode but it's like it's not at all designed to be played like this. Especially with the bumper car AI.

At least before I used to get rewarded with extra credits for putting myself through this torment. Now it's just... torment.

They can't handle driving without the aid and I would bet their FF settings could use a better tune. Normal feels like it has a dynamic ratio which feels awful and unpredictable to me, it also feels like it has some auto steering when you get the car sideways.

The auto correction in steering is why sim was added, there was a video of someone showing it off in forza 3 back in the day with drifting, watching the front wheels twitch to keep the car stable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1_9bpAKgd8

tenor.gif

This one and other Forza Edition cars exploits haven't been patched yet so using them is probably considered fair game by Turn 10.

Giving a car a built in bonus was never a smart idea even if I like the fact people are abusing this.

Azzawon

I'm trying to play this game with rewind off and full damage mode but it's like it's not at all designed to be played like this. Especially with the bumper car AI.

At least before I used to get rewarded with extra credits for putting myself through this torment. Now it's just... torment.

Hahaha, I tried to do the same thing until I got to the Formula E championship. If you're not in the top 5 after the first corner you have absolutely no chance of winning the race on Unbeatable difficulty.

GHG

Gold Member
This AI is suicidal on Rio and Long beach.

Restart number 10 on Rio in the open seeker championship. After this I'm taking a fucking break.

Giving a car a built in bonus was never a smart idea even if I like the fact people are abusing this.

Thing is, built in bonus was made as a way to nerf players, since if you did an endurance race a % would be better in most cases. That ended up creating this, so if they didn't try to nerf it in the first place this never would have happened.

zorbsie

If you've hit level 100 already, I'd hazard a guess that your "playing normally" is probably an outlier!

I've had the game since Friday. I've been doing all series within championships before moving to the next championship. I also have been doing long races, unless it's a series I hate like the formula e. But yeah, normal. I might be making this up, but I feel like playing online really deals out the xp/credits. Played for an hour yesterday and leveled up 4 times.

Thing is, built in bonus was made as a way to nerf players, since if you did an endurance race a % would be better in most cases. That ended up creating this, so if they didn't try to nerf it in the first place this never would have happened.

FE cars also have %bonuses on them. The GTR for example is 50% credit bonus and 10000CR when you race on Suzuka.

Fox Mulder

If you jump in the Dodge RAM Forza Edition, set up Free Play to be 30 second races at the Airfield with 0 AI you receive 20,000 XP each time due to the bonuses from the Forza Edition car. It's lazy and cheap, but I really wanted that F1 car.

Edit: wait, it's 7,500? I'm dumb

These exploits are always so boring. I ignored this stuff in horizon 3 and got most of my money running Goliath with a non FE car going for a top leaderboard time. But I also did dumb shit like 50 lap races and got to level 1000.

Top Bottom