• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 7 |OT| The 7 you've been waiting for!

Zel3

This OT seems pretty dead for such a big game. There’s a really good game hidden beneath the technical issues and lootboxes.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
This OT seems pretty dead for such a big game. There's a really good game hidden beneath the technical issues and lootboxes.

Forza Motorsport isn't very popular on GAF. (Or at least, not as much as it used to? Some of the old guard can probably attest to other GAFers leaving/banned though)

OT for 6 was 116 pages.

Also the game did release yesterday. (29th for UE)

LoveCake

*********HEY GUYS LISTEN UP!!!!! *************

Before you go blaming Turn 10 for the stutters, check out these two articles:

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/micro...ing-issues-due-to-windows-10-creators-update/

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/11/windows_10_stuttering_bugs/

Microsoft straight up ADMITS all the stuttering problems people are experiencing in various games is due to the Creators Update, and according to the second link, they plan on addressing it!! I really really really REALLY hope it's fixed by the time I upgrade to Windows 10 and buy this game in couple weeks! Sucks that you're basically REQUIRED to have the CU to play this game at all!

The Creators Update has been out sometime, did they not test the game, the flagship game for the Xbox One X and the first real push of a Forza game on PC?

Ok maybe it is not Turn 10's fault, but somebody must have knew about this issue, it's alright coming out now saying 'this and that' is the problem and we will get it fixed, I do not believe for a nano-second that this couldn't have been fixed before it was released in a day one patch at the latest.

Seems like load times are better on Xbox One.
Did they patch them?

I have not had a notification about my Xbox updating the game.

This OT seems pretty dead for such a big game. There's a really good game hidden beneath the technical issues and lootboxes.

It seems that GAF is not that keen on driving/racing games in general, Forza Horizon 3 only really has the same few people in the thread, the same for Forza 6 as well.

There has been quite a bit of damage done in regards to Forza 7, that has put people off on here from buying the game, if they want a driving game they may switch to GT Sport of P-cars 2 maybe, as for the PC gamers maybe they should just stop releasing Forza games on the system, there seems to be endless issues with Forza games on the PC from what is said and gets reported and this is not just here on GAF either.

Orca

Played some at lunch and the girlfriend saw the game for the first time. I forgot what a shock modern graphics can be for someone that hasn't played a racing game in years. I'm going to get my dad to come over this weekend to see it on the new 4K TV and see what he thinks lol

I wish Turn 10 would make it easier to buy multiple cars - specifically all the free ones you get. I should be able to just queue them all up and get them at once.

Please don't tell me there's already a way to do that...

Gestault

I wish Turn 10 would make it easier to buy multiple cars - specifically all the free ones you get. I should be able to just queue them all up and get them at once.

Please don't tell me there's already a way to do that...

It's pretty close. Buy through your collection page instead of the specialty shop, it's basically just pop-pop-pop. It's a huuuuge (and overdue) improvement,

frontieruk

I think the reddit is better for this game if you can ignore 50% of the threads :D

I’m a sad panda...

But the OT has basically been a community thread the last two editions and FH3 is pretty much the same... it also helps reddit having a bigger community overall and the reddit subsections break off for discussion of tips and tricks, this makes gameplay discussion easy to find, someone dropping in to any OT on GAF gets the launch details any major updates but tips and tricks are generally through the thread meaning easy to miss, like the RAM xp glitch was missed by a bunch due to the continued discussion of the loot boxes even though that has its own thread.

GHG will add the photo thread to the OT

Anyone who has completed the normal Forza Driver's Cup: Is anyone else not receiving the awards for completing the elite versions of the divisions?

My Forza Driver's Cup division completion requirement increased to 110,000 points and shows me the Forza Edition NSX at the bottom. I hit 110,000 and didn't get anything. I also hit the 22,000 required for the Evolution Cup and I didn't get the Forza Edition Jag.

Stevey

Can someone explain why you get more points for winning the last race in a series compared to the first?
Like the first 3 races will be say 200 points for a win, then the next 300, 400, 500 etc.
What kind of bizarro system is that?

Anyone who has completed the normal Forza Driver's Cup: Is anyone else not receiving the awards for completing the elite versions of the divisions?

My Forza Driver's Cup division completion requirement increased to 110,000 points and shows me the Forza Edition NSX at the bottom. I hit 110,000 and didn't get anything. I also hit the 22,000 required for the Evolution Cup and I didn't get the Forza Edition Jag.

I have done the Seeker Elite. You have to have completed (not won) all the events as well as hit the points target.

Can someone explain why you get more points for winning the last race in a series compared to the first?
Like the first 3 races will be say 200 points for a win, then the next 300, 400, 500 etc.
What kind of bizarro system is that?

I agree it's bizarre, but real racing leagues are starting to do this to make the end of the season more relevant. For example, double points in the last F1 race. I'm not a fan.

Fox Mulder

Wasted 3 hrs of my life with the spa endurance on extra long with the bullshit unbeatable AI.

Was doing fine until first pit stops then the new first place AI car was suddenly banging out lap times 5 seconds faster than anyone else and could out last my stints by 10 laps easily the entire race.

Couldn't even use mods, fucking lol.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I agree it's bizarre, but real racing leagues are starting to do this to make the end of the season more relevant. For example, double points in the last F1 race. I'm not a fan.

I keep forgetting about that because the Mercs have the drivers championship on lock by then.

This year, it might actually matter.

Its just not being received well period it seems like, its got a total of 403 viewers on twitch right now which is just insane for a game that is 2 days old. Granted, I can't imagine why anyone would watch people racing circuit cars but the combo of it being xbox only, all the bugs, the PC issues, the fact that its the circuit racing series and not the open world, and the recent release of Destiny 2 and Star Wars Battlefront 2 going into beta today have driven interest in the game to lows.

By contrast FH3 was pretty popular on twitch for a few days.

Weirdly enough I was able to redeem rewards for FH2 and FM5 today on the rewards site (https://rewards.forzamotorsport.net/en-US) not sure whats going on there. I redeem every friday morning my free credits.

Can any recommend a YouTuber or even a website with a text based guide on how to improve at these games? I think I need a better understanding of how to break when coming up to corners etc, can't seem to get the hang of it. I've managed to get the AI up to the one after above average, 'skilled' I think it was called but if I try race cleanly I can't get past the leader. If I go aggressive and bump him on a corner and get past I can then hold the lead but I feel that's just more just bad A.I and less me driving faster.

Fox Mulder

This OT seems pretty dead for such a big game. There’s a really good game hidden beneath the technical issues and lootboxes.

That's just Forza really. Even FH3 didn't light up GAF. They aren't helping things with some recent actions though.

Just having lootboxes will piss people off and spread bad news even if they have zero interest in the game. The new PC crowd is rightfully disgusted by the constant issues across multiple games now. MS just gave away forza 5 for free with gold, which is still perfectly fine to a casual or someone new to the series so why buy the new one. The Xbox X doesn't launch until November or whatever for all the shiny shit they showed off.

I've played Forza since the first one, but was going to wait on this one due to burnout. It was given as an unexpected gift instead which is still nice.

xrnzaaas

I have done the Seeker Elite. You have to have completed (not won) all the events as well as hit the points target.
Good to know. I won't be trying to win every single race especially since I would like to forget about some of them like the Polaris championship. ;)

Can any recommend a YouTuber or even a website with a text based guide on how to improve at these games? I think I need a better understanding of how to break when coming up to corners etc, can't seem to get the hang of it. I've managed to get the AI up to the one after above average, 'skilled' I think it was called but if I try race cleanly I can't get past the leader. If I go aggressive and bump him on a corner and get past I can then hold the lead but I feel that's just more just bad A.I and less me driving faster.
This worked wonders for me.

[url]http://www.drivingfast.net/racing-line/
[/URL]
Start with the racing line, but check out the other sections as well. Weight transfer, braking techniques, smooth driving. Slow-in, fast-out is the mantra. And that racing line is just a guide - you'll need to know how to move inside and outside of the line and brake at different points depending upon race conditions and ya know, other cars getting in the way ;p

What can also help is looking up real world track guides on YouTube. You can find drivers walking or driving the course pointing out braking points, dips and bumps, and the thinking behind how to approach different mixtures of turns at speed.

And for someone like myself whose only lens to motorsport has been through games and these kinds of videos, its also kindof neat to see some of the history behind the real world tracks.

The best thing to do to learn is play the rivals mode. Try and beat cars that are faster than you. The ghost of these cars will provide feedback on where you are slower/faster and give insight on lines to take. Some more general tips:

-Smooth is fast. If you are locking up under braking, sliding or drifting through turns you are scrubbing speed and slowing down. You should have minimal tire squeal and keep the car settled.

-Use all of the track, including the curbs where you can. Novice drivers tend to stay completely on the tarmac. This leaves so much speed on the table by not pushing the limits of the track.

The Stig

so, removing assists does NOT add to your payout.

W

T

F

this was one of the BEST things about forza. encouraging you to challenge yourself. the only way this was greenlighted was for monetization.

the forza version of shark cards ARE COMING,

Skunkers

Best advice I can give in Forza is make sure you're sticking a good line into the turn and try to do almost all of your braking in a straight line. Forza's physics moreso than other sims have always been more prone to increase your stopping distance if you're making steering inputs during the braking zone. It's faster in most situations to get almost all of your braking done before turning in towards the apex. This is true in the real world as well; if you think of your tire grip as a finite resource, you understand that you can use that grip to brake, or use it to turn, but trying to do both at once will be less effective. So you want to find an outside line approaching a turn where you can brake in a straight line, brake, steer towards the apex, start rolling on throttle as you pass the apex giving only as much throttle as you have grip until you're fully straightened out and a max throttle again. Of course some corners, you can't always brake in a straight line in an S-curve or decreasing radius turn, but that's how to corner quickly.

Pvax

Neo Member

W

T

F

this was one of the BEST things about forza. encouraging you to challenge yourself. the only way this was greenlighted was for monetization.

the forza version of shark cards ARE COMING,

I actually feel like overall payouts are higher on the avg race so far than they were in FM6 - so it 'might' balance out. They also added more assists stuff to the Mod cards. It's not perfect, but the cheap mod packs more than cover their cost of entry if you use the no Racing Line or no TC ones etc.

That said -i totally get the thing about challenging yourself. It was a fun way to push yourself. Get better and faster .... while making more $$ :)

Nick_C

After spending the afternoon with this game on PC all I can say is that it is a total mess. List of issues are as follows:

• stuttering menus
  • hitching during gameplay at the apex of a turn
  • excessively long load times (from 1 minute to 8+)
  • menu icons disappering
  • driver customization assets not loading
  • using the select car option while a track is loading renders the game unresponsive (sat for 15 minutes before I had to kill the task)
  • mouse cursor randomly appears on-screen and will stay until I move it
  • load times between race results and xp screen take upwards of 2 minutes

All of this in the ~2 hours of actual playtime I've had since purchase. I've tried dropping my settings down to medium and I've had the resolution set at 1080p the whole time. When I first started playing it was just some menu stuttering, but as time went on performance became worse and worse.

For anyone interested, my specs are as follows:

GTX 1080
i7-4820k @ 3.7
16 GB DDR3
installed to SSD

Game is updated to the latest version too. I've already rebooted my PC and I'm going to try and uninstall and try a clean install later on. Not looking forward to downloading another ~100 GB though.

Mod question:

If you equip a “no racing line” mod for instance, does it change the setting to no racing line, or do you have to go change it yourself before the race?

Thanks for the responses, won't quote them all.

One quick follow up question, should I be learning with ABS On or Off? I currently have it on, but it's hard to tell whether it's making things better or worse for me.

EDIT: Unrelated question. This reddit thread with all the ways to get exclusive cars says the following two things;

Finishing Driver Cup Division Reward Cars
Finishing Driver Cup Elite Division Reward Cars

I assume the first one is finishing each series whether you come first in all events or not and the second is getting first in every single event? So if I automatically don't let myself come anything other than first when I finish every event I should receive both rewards at once?

Mod question:

If you equip a ”no racing line" mod for instance, does it change the setting to no racing line, or do you have to go change it yourself before the race?

Pretty sure you have to set it yourself. And if it says braking line only you can have no line and it still counts, so essentially it should read no braking line or better, so to speak. I'm sitting on one that says cockpit only which I am not sure about though. Don't see a way of locking yourself to a view, so not sure whether you can quickly change it once the race starts then not change off it and it counts.

The Stig

I actually feel like overall payouts are higher on the avg race so far than they were in FM6 - so it 'might' balance out. They also added more assists stuff to the Mod cards. It's not perfect, but the cheap mod packs more than cover their cost of entry if you use the no Racing Line or no TC ones etc.

That said -i totally get the thing about challenging yourself. It was a fun way to push yourself. Get better and faster .... while making more $$ :)

hmm cheap crates. ok. but thanks for agreeing. a great incentive

1dopph.png

2jzrqr.png

Having certain mods in play can really change the game. One had No Hud, Cockpit only (which is fine by me) and no racing line (which is also fine) and gave me a really big boost in Cr and XP. But the race I decided to use them on was intense as it was Suzuka in the wet (the short East circuit I think?). Hard work but the pay off was decent.

Also I know the cost of the cars seem to be higher than in previous games but do they not come with some upgrades so that they meet the homologation rules?

W

T

F

Or perhaps it was to enable you to change assists on the fly during a race. Which is now possible...

Having certain mods in play can really change the game. One had No Hud, Cockpit only (which is fine by me) and no racing line (which is also fine) and gave me a really big boost in Cr and XP. But the race I decided to use them on was intense as it was Suzuka in the wet (the short East circuit I think?). Hard work but the pay off was decent.

How did the bolded work? Just set it to cockpit at start of race then leave it, or is there a way to force it before the race starts?

How did the bolded work? Just set it to cockpit at start of race then leave it, or is there a way to force it before the race starts?
The game sets it itself. So you start in the cockpit view and can't change. Same with things like ABS and TSM - they'll be turned on or off automatically. No need to do anything your self.

I have a question about Freeplay. I did a couple races without any problems, I was able to select the track and car that I wanted from the rental section. Now when I go to rent a car I only have a limited selection available. Not even half of the cars are available to me in freeplay.

Is it supposed to be like this? Why can't I see all the cars now?

Sorry if this has been answered, but a quick search didn't come up with any results

edit: playing on Windows 10

Fox Mulder

Thanks for the responses, won't quote them all.

One quick follow up question, should I be learning with ABS On or Off? I currently have it on, but it's hard to tell whether it's making things better or worse for me.

I'd just turn off abs. It'll be better in the long run and just takes getting used to.

zorbsie

I have a question about Freeplay. I did a couple races without any problems, I was able to select the track and car that I wanted from the rental section. Now when I go to rent a car I only have a limited selection available. Not even half of the cars are available to me in freeplay.

Is it supposed to be like this? Why can't I see all the cars now?

Sorry if this has been answered, but a quick search didn't come up with any results

edit: playing on Windows 10

Make sure you go to race setup and change car class to any. When you pick a car and start freeplay it locks to that cars class, eg: Super GT. That should fix your problem.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What's up with headlights in this game? Can I manually turn them on? I just had a day race that went through a long tunnel and I couldn't see a thing in there.

Top Bottom