• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2: Resolution (1080p), Framerate (30fps), Music, & More Detailed - IGNF

Bsigg12

Can I just get my hiphop tracks please?

Don't get me wrong, I loved jamming to Bass and Horizon radio, but I need my bass bouncing jams as well. Just a lil trap music, just a lil.

They say they're going for a broader soundtrack so who knows. Anything is possible with it being a music and car festival.

Feindflug

Don't forget Below and D4...

Tier 2 EU launch line-up will be packed as hell or what? I was on the fence on getting an Xbone this year but with Sunset Overdrive and Horizon 2 I've decided to jump in at launch this September, Halo 2 Anniversary and hopefully a white console will be the icing on the cake. :)

Bsigg12

Tier 2 EU launch line-up will be packed as hell or what? I was on the fence on getting an Xbone this year but with Sunset Overdrive and Horizon 2 I've decided to jump in at launch this September, Halo 2 Anniversary and hopefully a white console will be the icing on the cake. :)

This is a great point. The Tier 2 launch will have such a great selection of games either out or in the very near future that it's a little intimidating.

Cygnus

Banned
Except probably weather and Drivatars. So yeah, you'd miss weather.

Ha! That would be a bummer if there was no weather though, I do hope they keep it in just with very little graphical effects, I want to slide an F40 down some Italian mountain roads in the wet..please don't make me buy a whole new console for that :(

eso76

i'm sure i'm alone, but i might prefer that.

as clean an IQ as FH1 had, i MUCH preferred the aliased and sharp look of FM4 to the smeared vaseline look of FH.

Oh no ! Get out ! Don't listen to this man !
I'd much rather have a softer IQ and a consistent picture than small details falling apart in swarms of crawling pixels as I start moving !
In 1080p, with pixels being smaller, FH AA should look sharp enough, no reason to go extra sharp when aiming for photorealism, besides showing off your new HDTV :p

Seriously I thought fh was perfect.

I just hope they remove the yellow tint filter, which seems to be gone judging by the pictures.

if they have lady gaga or prince on the soundtrack, i will overlook the 30fps.

What are those two even doing in the same sentence?? :p

Feindflug

This is a great point. The Tier 2 launch will have such a great selection of games either out or in the very near future that it's a little intimidating.

Yeah it's not gonna be an easy launch for our wallets, that's for sure. :p

I'd much rather have a softer IQ and a consistent picture than small details falling apart in swarms of crawling pixels as I start moving !
In 1080p, with pixels being smaller, FH AA should look sharp enough, no reason to go extra sharp when aiming for photorealism, besides showing off your new HDTV :p

I just hope they remove the yellow tint filter, which seems to be gone judging by the pictures.

I'm with you on this one since I really liked Horizon's IQ due to it's amazing consistency (nothing came close last gen IMO) even though it was on the soft side but for all we know Playground could ditch FXAA for a newer & better PPAA solution so IQ could be equally good and sharper at the same time.

shandy706

People kept talking about Burnout...you do realize what burnout looked like on consoles compared to Horizon...right?

I decided to go back and look at it...it has been a looooooong time since I played it.

IQ and lighting wise...it wasn't even close.

Go full-res (well 720p) with the images below. Horizon looks like a supersampled/downsampled PC game compared to Burnout. It's no wonder it was 30fps on the 360....and excites me for what H2 will look like on the X1. Burnout's lighting looks...weird...also alien in comparison too.

i5mQgLfU3heGz.jpg

ibqxRSvGwsOGWu.jpg

It was really hard to find "good" shots from the console versions of Burnout.

Fuck man, this shit sounds so rad. GAHHH why are your games so awesome this year Microsoft, Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2 are already two of my most anticipated games period!
Crazy huh?
Why did you have to make this so hard! Could have had the traditional shit first year Microsoft! Sony is doing just fine being shitty at their first party this year like NORMAL console companies!

lol

d0nnie

Banned
“We want a soundtrack you can explore in the same way you can explore our world. To that end we’ve doubled the number of radio stations in the game. We’ve doubled the amount of music that we’re going to be shipping with the game on disc. /
“The goal here is to capture that new music vibe that you get at the best summer music festivals,”

You got my attention, MSFT. I'm a sucker for music festivals. I like the angle here.

However, if and when MSFT/Sony allow for our own in-game music (like last gen), than this is kind of moot. Gotta wait and see....

EvB

You got my attention, MSFT. I'm a sucker for music festivals. I like the angle here.

Did you not play the original Horizon? you are kinda driving around near music and car festivals, it was a good atmosphere they captured

jem0208

People kept talking about Burnout...you do realize what burnout looked like on consoles compared to Horizon...right?

I decided to go back and look at it...it has been a looooooong time since I played it.

IQ and lighting wise...it wasn't even close.

Go full-res (well 720p) with the images below. Horizon looks like a supersampled/downsampled PC game compared to Burnout. It's no wonder it was 30fps on the 360....and excites me for what H2 will look like on the X1. Burnout's lighting looks...weird...also alien in comparison too.

i5mQgLfU3heGz.jpg

ibqxRSvGwsOGWu.jpg

It was really hard to find "good" shots from the console versions of Burnout.

I know everyone goes on about how Horizon isn't 60 fps, but I much prefer the eye candy that comes with 30.

iavi

Yea, except missing the studio who made Forza Horizon a hit in the first place.

I don't advocate getting the 360 version over the X1 version, but it's not because Sumo is handling it vs Playground; Sumo know their arcade racers as well.

I wonder how much a difference there is going to be between the two versions.

TrueGrime

I don't advocate getting the 360 version over the X1 version, but it's not because Sumo is handling it vs Playground; Sumo know their arcade racers as well.

I wonder how much a difference there is going to be between the two versions.

I think it will be very substantial. Especially with two different engines doing the work.

Of course it does. Only a fool would think otherwise. But the reality of the situation is, if you find 30fps unacceptable, disappointing or unplayable for one game, it should be the same for the other, irrespective of these semantics. Being open world is obviously more resource demanding, but if 60fps was really that important, and a design priority, they could have just cut the graphics back and met the 60fps target. I'm glad they didn't mind, but I do find this open world justification by a small few, somewhat hypocritical and amusing.

That's not how it works. 30 fps fighting games are unacceptable. 30 fps RPGs are commonplace and acceptable. Within genres I'd prefer 60 fps but open world means 30 fps is okay. Also it's not unplayable its just disappointing.

scently

I wonder if they will still go for 4xMSAA again. If they do, it will be interesting to combine it SMAA. It will definitely be better than FXAA given they both have the same cost. Although Truth be told I don't know how feasible 4xMSAA will be on X1. Anyway, given the graphic progression from FM4 @2xMSAA to FH1 @ 4xMSAA+FXAA, and now FM5 @ 2xMSAA, I would like a combination of 4xMSAA+SMAA, it would look super clean, although I feel they can get away with 2xMSAA and a high quality SMAA variant. Maybe 4tx.

Anyway, this is just me speculating. It will be interesting to see what they do and why.

Eusis

That's not how it works. 30 fps fighting games are unacceptable. 30 fps RPGs are commonplace and acceptable. Within genres I'd prefer 60 fps but open world means 30 fps is okay. Also it's not unplayable its just disappointing.
Even with fighters, I was enjoying Jojo before going "oh right, this is 30 fps."

Though that's basically a fan service game anyway, and kind of slow at that. A proper hardcore fighter absolutely needs 60, hell if we could get native 120 fps output on TVs that would probably be even better for them than most genres.

RetroStu

Banned
I don't know why Burnout keeps getting brought up anyway, its 1 game and all Critereans NFS games barely hit 30fps and had shocking slowdown at times.
Burnout was the exception, not the rule.

jem0208

I wonder if they will still go for 4xMSAA again. If they do, it will be interesting to combine it SMAA. It will definitely be better than FXAA given they both have the same cost. Although Truth be told I don't know how feasible 4xMSAA will be on X1. Anyway, given the graphic progression from FM4 @2xMSAA to FH1 @ 4xMSAA+FXAA, and now FM5 @ 2xMSAA, I would like a combination of 4xMSAA+SMAA, it would look super clean, although I feel they can get away with 2xMSAA and a high quality SMAA variant. Maybe 4tx.

Anyway, this is just me speculating. It will be interesting to see what they do and why.

Seriously though, considering the wizardry they pulled off with FH1 on the 360 I have every confidence that Playground will produce a gorgeous game. Most likely with a ridiculously clean IQ.

Novak

Everything revealed so far sounds (and looks :) ) too good to be true. I am so excited!

After Battlefield 3 disappointment I vowed I will never again preorder games(or buy on day 1).
So far so good , even FM1 I bought 6 months after release, but I think I will break down and preorder this one...cant wait!!

I really liked the soundtrack in the first game and with a music festival being the backdrop off this game, I bet this will be another good one. So excited for this game and we haven't even had gameplay yet.

Seriously. Racing games at 30fps. Next-gen is here you guys.

Well driveclub was aiming for 60fps since last year until last month...

In the end i am glad it's 30fps because that means much better graphics, same thing with horizon 2. The only negative i see with driveclub is that it wont be open-environment like this game.

nib95

Banned
I wonder if this game will get dogged as much as DC has been for being 30fps.

I'm definitely noticing somewhat of a difference in response to the 30fps here from certain people. Sure if I dug through some of it, I'd find more. Overall though this thread seems to be considerably more tame regarding the frame rate aspect than some others in recent weeks. Not really sure why that is.

This sucks, now I can't stand less than 60fps for Racing and Shooting game.
Cool, day one buy regardless.
Well that's that then.

I do not think I can ever play another racer at 30 fps.

If there is a demo though I may change my mind.
I hope they put out a demo for this. Nfs rivals has be gun shy for a 30 fps racer. I need to try it out first.
GTFO people are happy it's 30 fps because of effects? Yeah you'll def notice the sky and details now going at dat snail pace.
if they have lady gaga or prince on the soundtrack, i will overlook the 30fps.
I think 60 is important for a racer. I just can't take 30 fps as serious. I can still be fun and look pretty but I can't take it seriously as a racer
I'm pre ordering ASAP. Ms have killed it this year. What a turnaround

the_champ

Banned
I'm convinced everything will be fine after reading the DF review of Horizon 1
dont prove me wrong PG :(

After reading DF review, i think this is important: "The developers have worked obsessively to remove aliasing artifacts from Forza Horizon and their efforts have paid off. The game combines top-end 4x MSAA with additional dynamic FXAA processing added to"
Anti Aliasing is by far the worst thing in Forza 5.

Anion

I'm definitely noticing somewhat of a difference in response to the 30fps here from certain people. Sure if I dug through some of it, I'd find more. Overall though this thread seems to be considerably more tame regarding the frame rate aspect than some others in recent weeks. Not really sure why that is.

Tbh, 3/4 people still implied that they strongly dislike the 30fps but will overlook it because of the features. Irregardless, I feel like most of the DC whinning came from PC people who bought a PS4 because it was the superior console in terms of power. People kinda expect the X1 to be weaker

well do they have the gaga or what?

Stainless

Just realized I haven't played a Forza game since Forza 2.

What is the difference between Forza and Forza Horizon? One more sim and one more arcade?

Kelsey

Banned

Nice passive-aggressive thread derail. Bravo.

rrc1594

Only thing I have problem with DC is the car amount, I mean 50 cars that is really low IMO. Now that we know FH2 has twice that much makes it even worse in my eyes.

Bsigg12

Only thing I have problem with DC is the car amount, I mean 50 cars that is really low IMO. Now that we know FH2 has twice that much makes it even worse in my eyes.

Well probably more than that but at least twice as many. They said hundreds so I'm thinking 200 or so cars

Different engines. The Xbox One version uses the Forza 5 engine and 360 is using the Horizon engine. I still think weather will be limited to the Xbox One version.

People still don't get that. Some seem still mad that this game is coming out on both 360 and The One. That tide will change though if Sony ever announces a game that's both PS3 and PS4. Maybe they'll announce something like that at E3! :X Anyhoo... I digress....

I can't wait for FH2. I really liked the first one and wanted to be able to race with people online like the way they're gonna do it now. Should be cool with the weather. I wish they could do something in these games that based on where we live, like they do on some live wallpapers for phones... It would be cool if the weather matched what was going on outside in real life in your city that exact time of day you're playing.

Hell.. that would be awesome for all sorts of games.

Synth

BeforeU - Can't stand less than 60fps for Racing/Shooting. Will buy FH2 regardless (pretty important term there). Doesn't seem to be happy about 30fps.

pixlexic - Unconvinced of DC at 30fps.. may change mind after trying demo. Unconvinced of FH2 at 30fps.. may change mind after trying demo. Doesn't seem to happy about 30fps.

master splinter - Says people shouldn't be happy about DC being 30fps. Will overlook in FH2's case if it has music it almost certainly won't have. Doesn't seem to be happy about 30fps.

JAYSIMPLE - Possible fanboy. :p

Only 1 of the 4 really portrays the narrative you're going for here.

RoKKeR

Give me a fucking break.

I think it's ridiculous to snoop through post history for conflicting thoughts, especially when the types of racers Horizon and DC are.

Give me 60fps for track, 30fps for open world.

VanWinkle

smh at JAYSIMPLE.

keit4

Banned
If i have to "forgive" a racing game for not being 60fps it would be Forza Horizon. Unlike Driveclub it's an open world game with a super clean IQ, so the people upset with DC being 30fps doesn't have to share the same opinion about FH because of this.

nib95

Banned
BeforeU - Can't stand less than 60fps for Racing/Shooting. Will buy FH2 regardless (pretty important term there). Doesn't seem to be happy about 30fps.

pixlexic - Unconvinced of DC at 30fps.. may change mind after trying demo. Unconvinced of FH2 at 30fps.. may change mind after trying demo. Doesn't seem to happy about 30fps.

master splinter - Says people shouldn't be happy about DC being 30fps. Will overlook in FH2's case if it has music it almost certainly won't have. Doesn't seem to be happy about 30fps.

I never suggested outright hypocrisy, just a difference in response. But either way, someone above touched upon a pretty important factor I'd never thought of. A lot of the 30fps detractors on the PS4 side could be disgruntled PC gamers who simply aren't interested in or neglected to purchase the Xbox One. Having said that, if they really expected 1080p/60fps on the console consistently, I have a bridge to sell them.

Something I need to re-iterate, even going in to future generations, console developers will still choose 30fps and more bells and whistles over 60fps with less. As a closed platform, and with no limit to graphical improvements or game world ambition, people need to realise it's often less of a technical limitation and more of a design decision. Many devs simply prioritise better visuals and more ambitious levels etc, over smoother gameplay.

master splinter - Says people shouldn't be happy about DC being 30fps. Will overlook in FH2's case is if has music it almost certainly won't have. Doesn't seem to be happy about 30fps.

master splinter flat out hates sony. driveclub did look great till that ugly 30fps bomb. fh2. weaker console.. im surprised it pulled off 1080p. but nope.. unless dat soundtrack blows the roof off . i will be waiting for it to go on sale on games with gold.

VanWinkle

I'm ecstatic that it will be 30fps, since that means it will look more like DriveClub and less like Forza 5 (particularly talking about IQ and environment detail/geometry).

master splinter flat out hates sony. driveclub did look great till that ugly 30fps bomb. fh2. weaker console.. im surprised it pulled off 1080p. but nope.. unless dat soundtrack blows the roof off . i will be waiting for it to go on sale on games with gold.

DriveClub looked great before we knew it was 30fps, despite it always being 30fps? And it seems weird that you are surprised they pulled FH2 off at 1080p on XB1 when we don't even know what the game really actually looks like.

Top Bottom