• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2: Resolution (1080p), Framerate (30fps), Music, & More Detailed - IGNF

stay gold

I'm definitely noticing somewhat of a difference in response to the 30fps here from certain people. Sure if I dug through some of it, I'd find more. Overall though this thread seems to be considerably more tame regarding the frame rate aspect than some others in recent weeks. Not really sure why that is.

Reaching a bit here. Pixlexic's stance is literally unchanged in those two posts.

Im glad they're keeping the music festival angle in this, hope the soundtrack is as good as the 1st!

I'm definitely noticing somewhat of a difference in response to the 30fps here from certain people. Sure if I dug through some of it, I'd find more. Overall though this thread seems to be considerably more tame regarding the frame rate aspect than some others in recent weeks. Not really sure why that is.

Maybe because it's an open world racer? I wish it was at 60, but I also wish WD's and GTA was 60 also. Maybe open world has something to do with it. Not a closed environment like other racers do.

I'm ecstatic that it will be 30fps, since that means it will look more like DriveClub and less like Forza 5 (particularly talking about IQ and environment detail/geometry).

DriveClub looked great before we knew it was 30fps, despite it always being 30fps? And it seems weird that you are surprised they pulled FH2 off at 1080p on XB1 when we don't even know what the game really actually looks like.

ouch it was always 30fps? such mega power so little return for a linear game.

VanWinkle

Maybe because it's an open world racer? I wish it was at 60, but I also wish WD's and GTA was 60 also. Maybe open world has something to do with it. Not a closed environment like other racers do.

Nah. If you can't stand 30fps for racers, then it being open world has nothing to do with it, because the actual racing is the same.

RetroStu

Banned

You of all people suggesting fanboyism is pretty hilarious.

VanWinkle

Looking forward to seeing how diverse the environments are, and heck, everything.

ouch it was always 30fps? such mega power so little return for a linear game.

Little return? My friend, have you even seen the game? Argue if you want about the importance of framerate over graphical fidelity, but if we ARE talking about graphical fidelity, DC has it out the wazoo.

Is this thread about Horizon 2 or Driveclub?

FH2, but you can't be too surprised to see discussion of its closest rival in here.

Synth

I never suggested outright hypocrisy, just a difference in response. But either way, someone above touched upon a pretty important factor I'd never thought of. A lot of the 30fps detractors on the PS4 side could be disgruntled PC gamers who simply aren't interested in or neglected to purchase the Xbox One.

Hypocrisy is pretty much the only real issue there could be here, otherwise you're basically just asking why different people sets of people (who probably bought different machines) have different opinions on performance.

There was also Evo going dark on us for months after apparently 'considering' 60fps. That gave plenty of people time to build expectations that the almost year long delay may have made 60fps possible. Here pretty much everyone immediately assumed FH2 would be 30fps due to precedent (FH1 to FM4), and the resolution and framerate were confirmed 2 days after the title was announced, rather than over 6 months after it was supposed to have shipped.

shinnn

I'm ecstatic that it will be 30fps, since that means it will look more like DriveClub and less like Forza 5 (particularly talking about IQ and environment detail/geometry).

I think Forza Horizon 2 will be more like Forza Horizon and less like DriveClub.

nib95

Banned

Open world doesn't change the frame rate gameplay impact though. As I touched upon earlier, it's just a nonsensical semantic exclusion. Going open world just means they'd need to downscale the visuals more to hit 60fps than they would if their game was not open world.

Obviously being open world is going to mean it's more demanding than if it wasn't, but that doesn't mean it's automatically more demanding than a linear or non open world game either mind. It's totally dependant on a range of countless factors.

VanWinkle

I think Forza Horizon 2 will be more like Forza Horizon and less like DriveClub.

I didn't say the game would be more like DC, I said it would look more like DC in graphical fidelity than it will Forza 5, particularly in lighting, IQ, and environmental detail/geometry.

Looking forward to seeing how diverse the environments are, and heck, everything.

Little return? My friend, have you even seen the game? Argue if you want about the importance of framerate over graphical fidelity, but if we ARE talking about graphical fidelity, DC has it out the wazoo.

FH2, but you can't be too surprised to see discussion of its closest rival in here.

id like a link. i have a mega powerful pc. pm me. SUPER MEGA

pixlexic

Banned

My two post are exactly identical! Lol.

I'm boring :(

Oh god fuck that song lol

Come on, you know you don't mean that. Every bit of news I hear about this game has me all like this

tumblr_inline_mpme5eEIHX1qz4rgp.gif

that track was hype as fuck. id pump that shit while racing down highways in horizon. so good.

Amen brother.

Playing Horizon again right now and I'm seriously tempted to just take a week to jump in the car and drive round Europe with that tune on full blast to get my body ready for Horizon 2.

velociraptor

Uh... an open world, a closed world, a closed circuit, point to point, a rally game... they all feel the same at 30FPS. The actual driving will feel the same.

Bsigg12

Uh... an open world, a closed world, a closed circuit, point to point, a rally game... they all feel the same at 30FPS. The actual driving will feel the same.

No they won't. Each game has their own feel. Watch Dogs controls and feels completely different from GTA. No doubt the weight and movement of the cars in Drive club will feel different from Horizon 2.

Cubed

As pretty much a Sony guy in reference to my gaming habits nowadays, I reeeeaaally think this game will be great and is the first time I've considered buying an Xbox One.

I won't, because one game, or even 2 or 3, would never be enough for me to purchase a whole system, but Horizon on the 360 was so good that I'm sure this'll be a blast too.

shinnn

Awesome. Now there will be no more complaints about 30fps. Was a stupid, stupid argument anyway.
I think people will still demand 60fps for closed circuit racing games, no?

Even more now, that the weaker hardware is providing an open world with dynamic lighting, weather, sim physics engine, traffic and seamless online mode with 12 players at 30 fps.

With Forza Motorsport, Gran Turismo and Project Cars all doing 60fps I'd say the genre is still safe ;p

Somebody could always make a 60fps open world and take these 30fps racers on too. Driver: San Francisco turned out pretty damn well, even if the premise probably confused or scared off some sales.

All this sounds hot but that IQ is the big elephant in the room. I'm no longer hooked by statements like these. If the game is some kind of uprezzed AA-less PR spin to deathzone, much like Driveclub would have been if it launched last year, I'm going to be very disappointed.

Sorry, but I no longer trust PR people.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Oh man this game sounds fantastic, cant wait to see some footage.

nib95

Banned

Even more now, that the weaker hardware is providing an open world with dynamic lighting, weather, sim physics engine, traffic and seamless online mode with 12 players at 30 fps.

Considering previous gen racers were offering many of those things, on hardware considerably weaker than either of the new consoles, I think the bigger surprise was why some current gen racers weren't offering some of those things, as oppose to why some are. Then again, it was launch period, so criticism and judgment needs to be dialled back accordingly.

Hmmm... we shall see. I guess put me on team Open World vs Closed making you race is a big difference. Especially when it's a Sim racer vs an Arcade racer. I kinda sense ... well.. lol, doesn't matter. This game doesn't compete with DrivClub anyways. Seems more like The Crew.

Definitely, 60fps is ideal for closed-circuit racing games.

Kelsey

Banned

Like it or not, people have different expectations for different types of games within the same genre.

Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Thats like saying all 30fps platformers feel the same. Or all 60fps basketball games feel the same. Just not true.

Orca

Strange you didn't pick out anyone who went the other way with it.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Overall though this thread seems to be considerably more tame regarding the frame rate aspect than some others in recent weeks. Not really sure why that is.

ignoring the other part of your post (good job btw), i think FH2 was expected, by anyone familiar with the first, to be 30 fps, whereas drive club was coming off a lengthy delay with the carrot dangled that they were investigating 60 fps at the start of the year. drive club's 30 fps response may have largely been due to disappointment.

Stillmatic

Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Thats like saying all 30fps platformers feel the same. Or all 60fps basketball games feel the same. Just not true.

What difference does 30 fps make in control responsiveness between and open world racer and closed curcuit racer if they're both sim/arcade hybrids? There is none, so whether a game is open world or closed curcuit at 30fps shouldn't matter.

Quotient

The Xbox one can definitely hit 1080p, it's just a matter of what they are willing to sacrifice to hit that resolution. I'd be interested to see if they are able to keep an amazing image quality, with fantastic AA, while running the game at 1080p. Ryse looks fantastic, but we all know that Crytek had to settle for 900p in order to keep a great IQ while keep a steady frame-rate.

Top Bottom