• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 2: Resolution (1080p), Framerate (30fps), Music, & More Detailed - IGNF

Eusis

As pretty much a Sony guy in reference to my gaming habits nowadays, I reeeeaaally think this game will be great and is the first time I've considered buying an Xbox One.

I won't, because one game, or even 2 or 3, would never be enough for me to purchase a whole system, but Horizon on the 360 was so good that I'm sure this'll be a blast too.
Yeah, I feel similarly though going Sony's mainly about Japanese third party/indie offerings and this time around also being the best performing system, Sony's own games generally aren't the ones I get really excited for.

Still, I may just grab on 360 and save the XB1 version for when/if I get one.

Hawk269

Maybe because it's an open world racer? I wish it was at 60, but I also wish WD's and GTA was 60 also. Maybe open world has something to do with it. Not a closed environment like other racers do.

It would take a lot of horsepower to make an open world game, even a racing game at 1080p/60fps and good AA. I know WD is not a open world racing game, but look at the rigs some people have and they are not hitting 60fps at 1080p. As a console player and a PC owner, I know that it would be amazing to have all games 1080p/60fps. I can brute force any PC game to hit that and if I was given a choice of course 1080p/60fps.

But we are also talking about 400/500 consoles and to expect that in an open world racing plus day/night and weather is asking a lot of any console.

shinnn

Definitely, 60fps is ideal for closed-circuit racing games.
lol. I dont have a problem with DC being 30 fps.

But the fact is that the developer itself opened the debate over 60 fps, and a lot of people were demanding it. So thats WHY more people got upset about it being 30 fps.

People coming to this thread to incentivate the bashing for 30 fps is just ridiculous. So is the argument "being open world doesn't matter". I dont remember anyone arguing against this when people said ISS was open world when comparing to Ryse. The argument is valid, open world games are more demand on graphics. Arguing against this is just stupid.

Eusis

It would take a lot of horsepower to make an open world game, even a racing game at 1080p/60fps and good AA. I know WD is not a open world racing game, but look at the rigs some people have and they are not hitting 60fps at 1080p. As a console player and a PC owner, I know that it would be amazing to have all games 1080p/60fps. I can brute force any PC game to hit that and if I was given a choice of course 1080p/60fps.

But we are also talking about 400/500 consoles and to expect that in an open world racing plus day/night and weather is asking a lot of any console.
Admittedly Ubisoft seems to have a bad history for optimizing games well on PC (and I imagine for Watch_Dogs that specifically at crazy high settings) and there's a lot less going on in a pure racing game than something that has a lot of pedestrians and other stuff to track. This is likely why Burnout Paradise was one of the only open world games to actually be 60 fps last gen, or ever really.

Still, these developers want to do a lot more visually, so for better or worse it's 30 fps. At least they did a pretty good 30 fps with FH1, and so long as Driveclub can be the same way it'll be acceptable even if not ideal.

VanWinkle

But the fact is that the developer itself opened the debate over 60 fps, and a lot of people were demanding it. So thats WHY more people got upset about it being 30 fps.

People coming to this thread to incentivate the bashing for 30 fps is just ridiculous. So is the argument "being open world doesn't matter". I dont remember anyone arguing against this when people said ISS was open world when comparing to Ryse. The argument is valid, open world games are more demand on graphics. Arguing against this is just stupid.

But nobody is arguing whether open-world has more demand on graphics. We are saying if you can't stand 30fps on racers, then it shouldn't matter to you whether that racer is open-world or not, because you still can't stand 30fps on racers.

I wonder where are those who said " drive club in 30fps ? It´s unplayable for a racing game "

I'm Happy with this 1080p 30fps and will love both DC et FH2 ! :)

They are still here :p

Of course I do. The ones that run at 60fps.

Will never understand why some people complain so much about 30fps. I'v been a big halo player for years, and never realized it was 30fps before I started going to gaming websites like here. To me, as long as the framerate is stable, and there is no screen tear, 30fps works just fine.

daxter325

Banned
Awesome news about native 1080p. A little interesting to hear a Microsoft developer state that 1080p is the "benchmark for next gen". Perhaps more 1080p titles are on the way from first/second party.

Off-topic: What's this "IQ" everyone keeps bringing up?

VanWinkle

Awesome news about native 1080p. A little interesting to hear a Microsoft developer state that 1080p is the "benchmark for next gen". Perhaps more 1080p titles are on the way from first/second party.

Image quality

RoKKeR

"Image quality", basically how clean and crisp the image on the screen looks.

Xenon

I'm definitely noticing somewhat of a difference in response to the 30fps here from certain people. Sure if I dug through some of it, I'd find more. Overall though this thread seems to be considerably more tame regarding the frame rate aspect than some others in recent weeks. Not really sure why that is.

Nib95
Locked and cocked back pocket!

It's like the only reason Driveclub is being brought up in this thread specifically has to do with people wondering or thinking if this game will get shit on for the same reason DC did.

We're not even comparing the actual games, just comparing if the shit intake will be the same.

I agree, i really want to see how horizon 2 looks like at e3.

Mr. Desu

I don't mind 30 FPS, just like in Dark Souls... But in racing games I feel like I need much more than that. I don't know. Perhaps on paper it looks bad, but in the hand it's great.

We'll just have to be patient members of NeoGAF and...

WAIT

Synth

It's like the only reason Driveclub is being brought up in this thread specifically has to do with people wondering or thinking if this game will get shit on for the same reason DC did.

We're not even comparing the actual games, just comparing if the shit intake will be the same.

Some people seem annoyed that there isn't sufficient hate as retribution for any DC complaints.

Burnout Paradise.

Ok, true, but if you look at a game like Burnout Paradise, the draw distance on that game is really bad compared to something like Forza Horizon where one of the big selling points of that game is being able to drive along the country side as see amazing sites like the grand canyon, or the beautifully crafted southern Europe landscape.

Schryver

I live what I'm hearing about this game. It just might be what pushes me over the edge if Microsofts e3 promises are great as well.

The Flash

Banned
Almost 6months after the release of Killer Instinct...

I challenge you on Killer Instinct... :p

tumblr_mqy65jnd9v1rrcahvo1_250.gif

I'm definitely noticing somewhat of a difference in response to the 30fps here from certain people. Sure if I dug through some of it, I'd find more. Overall though this thread seems to be considerably more tame regarding the frame rate aspect than some others in recent weeks. Not really sure why that is.

Oh dear.

shinnn

But nobody is arguing whether open-world has more demand on graphics. We are saying if you can't stand 30fps on racers, then it shouldn't matter to you whether that racer is open-world or not, because you still can't stand 30fps on racers.
Well, if not my mistake, all those people saying that open world games are mostly 30 fps are not the same who said they can't stand 30 fps racing games. Thats why its ridiculous bring the DC hate here.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
One of the things that differentiates FH1 from most other games periods is the controller response time that it gives me. Yes, you are playing a 30fps game, but it doesn't give that stiff feeling that nearly everyone other 30fps games gives. It doesn't respond as well as Forza 5 does, but it comes pretty damn close. That is some of the amazing achievement that was reached with FH1 and why FH2, at 30fps, if it keeps that same response time, will be ok and permissible by buyers and other 30fps might feel sluggish in comparison if not up to par with FH2 and it's presumed control.

Now on top of that, how many open world arcade racers have come out running at 60fps on consoles? Can you name one?

DRIVER MOTHERFUCKING SAN FRANCISCO

But yes, 30FPS is the norm in this type of games and I don't mind. If anything, Horizon 1 showed that locked 30FPS could make a pretty smooth and fun experience.

I don't get the people who keep bringing up the open world aspect of this game in defense of its frame rate. Regardless of the fact that it's open world this game could easily run at 60fps if they toned down a few things. So people giving this game a pass based on that fact are ignoring the bigger picture. Playground have still made the same concessions that evolution have made, infact their statements regarding their decisions are very similar.

Having said that in no way am I bashing their decision, as long as they lock it down I'm more then happy with 30fps. I'm actually a little surprised they could do 1080p/30fps with the IQ from those screenshots. It will be interesting to see the game in action.

I'm cool with this. Horizon was always 30fps and ran really well because it never missed a frame. If it's just as consistent, then its good enough for this type of game (non sim) especially with all the tech they're putting into the lighting, the changing skies and even the headlights. Its a ting of beauty. You must have 60fps? go play Forza 5
says Don Matrick

i_m_ok_with_this__n1296497202304__super.png

EmpReb

Banned
The Big picture is 60 FPS should be standard. IF you showed everyone a game with 30 FPS vs 60 FPS they would pick 60 FPS. It feels fing fucking better. I played Most Wanted 2012 on Xbox and the game was sort of fun but very tricky to do anything at high speeds. I got it again on my PC and was able to get it lock at 60 fps. Suddenly High speeds and handling became MUCH MORE RESPONSIVE and a hole lot more enjoyable to drive knowing I had complete control over the car with no delay and full feed back.

That is why I am pretty much convinced PC gamers and Nintendo are the only ones who get what 60fps can do for the FEEL of the game. Its makes it a game and enjoyable and your fully in control compared to 30 know I can't respond as fast as I could. This pursuit of Bullshots really has lead to a downgrade in gameplay. IF your not a turnbased game and require some sort of input that needs quick reply 60 FPS will always been better... and should be in standard.

I don't get the people who keep bringing up the open world aspect of this game in defense of its frame rate.

Because its open world.....OPEN WORLD. Not track racing. And we're told its BIGGER than Forza Horizon 1's world. That's also including the day/night system and new weather system which will effect driving conditions.

Track racing needs more precision and fps imo because turning and braking are much more needed. Arcade racing on the other hand is more focused on speed and long periods of driving fast.

Because its open world.....OPEN WORLD. Not track racing. And we're told its BIGGER than Forza Horizon 1's world. That's also including the day/night system and new weather system which will effect driving conditions.

Track racing needs more precision and fps imo because turning and braking are much more needed. Arcade racing on the other hand is more focused on speed and long periods of driving fast.
Open world does not prevent 60fps.

Some people seem annoyed that there isn't sufficient hate as retribution for any DC complaints.

And it probably won't. It was the DC developers themselves that brought the 60fps discussion to the table saying that was a goal, even though it obviously was just hot air to take a bullet point of the competing game.

Not that it justifies the notion that 30 is unplayable , but it should be expected that if you fail to meet a goal you have set up, people will complain.

Open world does not prevent 60fps.

It does when you're trying to make good looking games with massive content on hardware not as strong as gaming PCs.

And for anybody else, Burnout is a weak example. You only drive, brake and turbo in that game. No where near the mechanics that Forza uses like damage effecting the car's control, aerodynamics, stuff that's actually realistic.

RoKKeR

Unrelated to the content here but I think doing this IGN First is going to be great for Horizon 2... it's getting a lot of exposure this week and won't get drowned out like a lot of games will next week.

It does when you're trying to make good looking games with massive content on hardware not as strong as gaming PCs.
Exactly my point though, there are many contributing factors and concessions that will be made for any game on closed hardware. The devs decided 30fps was sufficient enough for them, just like evo and even RaD (and many, many devs will do the same for the rest of this gen). At the end of the day they could have it running 60fps but for them it wasn't as important as running in 1080p with higher visual fidelity.

My point is that it's not as simple as saying but it's open world that's why it's not 1080p, I don't understand that train of thought.

I love all the hate for 30 fps; it's pretty misguided given what you are getting: likely a very pretty open world arcade style racer that is a blast to play.

I love all the hate for 30 fps; it's pretty misguided given what you are getting: likely a very pretty open world arcade style racer that is a blast to play.
it's just sad because the powerful ps4 couldn't pull it off with driveclub. so now horizon being the same slow 30 fps is a slap in the face to gamers. we want 60fps.

Top Bottom