• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

NeoGIF

Turn 10's twitter: "Working with Phred on coming up with gift cars for the community this Friday. One car for everybody, and an exclusive car for VIPs!"

lord pie

I've been really struggling to find competitive RWD cars. I have a few, but easily my best allrounder is a converted Gallardo S - I bought it on a whim as it's S603, to see if it could go down to A class.

I've recently spent (almost) all my credits upgrading various cars, mostly without success.

I'm currently use Mugello as a benchmark. A600 Gallardo S is ~1.54. Some of the cars I haven't been able to break 2.00 (!).

It seems particularly hard to get good performance out of Aston Martins. Which is a shame, because they are wonderful cars. You see very few online. I also really struggled with the Merc' AMG black prize car.

Perhaps the Gallardo S is just a PI bug? Or I suck at upgrading / tuning? :lol

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
4290698512_fc865e9c29_o.jpg

love this shot. its a shame we have to get creative to take shots like this... i wish there was more camera freedom

lord pie said:
I've been really struggling to find competitive RWD cars. I have a few, but easily my best allrounder is a converted Gallardo S - I bought it on a whim as it's S603, to see if it could go down to A class.

I've recently spent (almost) all my credits upgrading various cars, mostly without success.

I'm currently use Mugello as a benchmark. A600 Gallardo S is ~1.54. Some of the cars I haven't been able to break 2.00 (!).

It seems particularly hard to get good performance out of Aston Martins. Which is a shame, because they are wonderful cars. You see very few online. I also really struggled with the Merc' AMG black prize car.

Perhaps the Gallardo S is just a PI bug? Or I suck at upgrading / tuning? :lol

Biggest downside of the Astons and the prize AMG is those cars weight. I think, barring race cars, all of the Astons weigh well north of 3,600 pounds and with weight reduction they get pushed out of A class

DarkJC

Well I'm finally slowly starting to get a handle on basic tuning and I can see it's opening up another dimension of the game for me. I was never really happy using premade tunes found on the storefront, felt like it was something I should really be doing myself so I could tweak things here and there that suited my personal preferences.

I feel comfortable playing with the transmission, tire pressures, brake settings, and maybe even a little bit of toe/camber, but the suspension settings are still sort of lost on me. Maybe it's because I'm driving with a controller but I can't get a feel for what really changes and whats optimal when I mess around with the suspension, so I've stuck to using an excel spreadsheet calculator I found for those and I've left it at that for now.

G Rom

Since yesterday, I've started to get into the whole DLC Time Trial thing hoping to get some money !
I was at 1:02,801 yesterday. About 10 minutes ago, just before going to bed, I've managed to crack the Top 200 with a 1:02,446. :D

Now, all I need is just to knock off another second to crack the Top 10 !:lol

Jube3 said:
What cars have you been running, I've been using the Lotus 2-11 and its really fun to drive cause I can take risks with it here and there. Looking to get my supra going as well. I love my shelby coupe but I cant keep it straight to save my life. Not to mention one tap from a bigger car and I go flying halfway across the map haha.

H3ro did that car I sent help at all? I have a another drift tune I can send but its higher HP.

I have been running a few...specifically I have a precision tune on an A600 class Ferrari 355 Challenge with a 360 CS Engine swap. car is on rails, rear end firmly planted even under hard acceleration, and can run with anything down a straight. This has been the best handling car I have had since I started tuning cars way back in Gran Turismo. I love that thing.

in S class I have a Gallardo S with a rwd swap at S700 that has been a another great handling, all around fantastic and under-rated car. it really makes for easy racing. fast too and versitiel to run any track, Laguna to Le Mans only requires a quick cog swap.

as for some AWD conversions to RWD, I am attempting to make my Eagle Talon A class and A class Subaru Legacy with the 2.5GT motor swap (both cars I own IRL) but havent gotten them there yet. in B, i am running an 08' Impreza WRX to limited success. attempting a GT-R but that was nothing but failure. you can't keep it in a straight line.

DarkJC

G Rom said:
Since yesterday, I've started to get into the whole DLC Time Trial thing hoping to get some money !
I was at 1:02,801 yesterday. About 10 minutes ago, just before going to bed, I've managed to crack the Top 200 with a 1:02,446. :D

Wish they made the prizes a bit bigger :D

I mean I know getting the top time in time trial isn't ALL about the money but 500k seems kinda weak for the top 10 when you compare the effort required to make those times. I was thinking doubling the current rewards (to 1 mil, 500k, and 300k) would make more sense.

Although if you're one of the top 10 regulars maybe it's easy money, and throwing all that money at them every week maybe isn't something they want to do.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
DarkJC said:
Wish they made the prizes a bit bigger :D

I mean I know getting the top time in time trial isn't ALL about the money but 500k seems kinda weak for the top 10 when you compare the effort required to make those times. I was thinking doubling the current rewards (to 1 mil, 500k, and 300k) would make more sense.

Although if you're one of the top 10 regulars maybe it's easy money, and throwing all that money at them every week maybe isn't something they want to do.

Makes sense to me. I'll see about raising the rewards for top 10, which seem VERY competitive.

Jube3

chespace said:
Makes sense to me. I'll see about raising the rewards for top 10, which seem VERY competitive.

No kidding, I'm happy if I crack the top 1000. Nothing like feeling you ran a great lap only to see the leader 15 seconds ahead of you..in the same car :lol

G Rom said:

Man top 200, good stuff. I need to go practice haha.

Tried to post earlier but got a 500, but what if 1 driver in the top 10 won a random unicorn car? would give another way to win one other then owning 40 trillion and using the auction house.

I don't try the time trials much currently, more of a racer then hot lapper. (I prefer a car which handles well and can compete then one which can cut every corner like a razer blade)

It's random 150k to people in the top 500 right? i'll just aim at that for now.

Variable

I really hate to be a whore, but could someone here purchase one of my crappy vinyl art I created? You can search for it as "Happy Winner" and "Red Panda". Yes, I am an achievement whore.

Jube3

Variable said:
I really hate to be a whore, but could someone here purchase one of my crappy vinyl art I created? You can search for it as "Happy Winner" and "Red Panda". Yes, I am an achievement whore.

Achievement Unlocked!

..if you're runningman80

Iknos

cjelly said:
I has been photo taking again.
4289955591_918ba18f78_o.jpg

Since I've gotten the Fanatec wheel I've been playing some RBR and RP and not enough Forza...these pics are going to get me to pop in Forza for this weekend. Play it allll weekend.

IMO Forza's fantasy tracks are up there with the best videogame racetracks.

G Rom

So after nearly one hour of hot lapping, I'm down at 1:02,232 or 129th on the leaderboard.
I've only done a couple of laps after that but in one of them, I managed to gain three tenth in the first sector. With a time a like that I would crack the Top 75 !:D

After that, I don't know if I would be able to improve anymore. Those that are in the first places probably run with a wheel and they have the clutch which I haven't bothered to try to master with the controller. Anyway, I'll have to watch one of those Top 10 replay to see how they manage to beat me by more than one second !:lol

G Rom said:
So after nearly one hour of hot lapping, I'm down at 1:02,232 or 129th on the leaderboard.
I've only done a couple of laps after that but in one of them, I managed to gain three tenth in the first sector. With a time a like that I would crack the Top 75 !:D

After that, I don't know if I would be able to improve anymore. Those that are in the first places probably run with a wheel and they have the clutch which I haven't bothered to try to master with the controller. Anyway, I'll have to watch one of those Top 10 replay to see how they manage to beat me by more than one second !:lol

I watched the number 1 time, and to me there doesnt seem anything special with the lines, so it has to be time made up in the braking and accelerating zones. If you think about it there are roughly 10 or more corners on that track (from memory), and .075 of a second gain per corner gives you quite a gain by the end of the lap. The only other thing i noticed was perfect gear changes, rev matched to get the most power out the engine. Its a combination of all those things put together. I think i'd only have a chance of being faster with a wheel and pedals if it was housed in a proper seat, the correct distance from a big tv etc, so i'll stick with my controller and 77th on the leaderboard. Hopefully i'll still be in the top 100 by the end of tomorrow! You should definitely master the clutch with the controller, its more enjoyable game, and i think i'm faster for it. Just remap the LB clutch button to the A button, makes it a LOT easier.

G Rom

Okay, while I was doing a photo stitch, I decided to measure the time that I needed to save one photo (from the moment I press Start to confirm the name of the photo to the screen where it says that the photo was indeed saved).
Seriously, this is getting ridiculous :
4292473639_36daa0b89f_o.jpg

Turn 10 really needs to properly fix this problem.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
I am incredibly jealous of everyone who gets to play this game, this is the one game that makes me want a 360. However I can't justify a full price purchase of an XBOX360 just to play FM3. :(

Conceited said:
I am incredibly jealous of everyone who gets to play this game.

No need, thats why we post pictures here now...to give you the full experience.

2i09e34.jpg

If you didnt know it was a videogame, you never would've guessed

daw840

KittonGotWet said:
No need, thats why we post pictures here now...to give you the full experience.

2i09e34.jpg

If you didnt know it was a videogame, you never would've guessed

Hm, is that an FX45?!? It looks just like the interior of my IRL car!

skyfinch

Conceited said:
I am incredibly jealous of everyone who gets to play this game, this is the one game that makes me want a 360. However I can't justify a full price purchase of an XBOX360 just to play FM3. :(

I'm nearing the 100 hour mark just on offline racing. Honestly, I don't even remember the last game I bought that kept my interest for this long, especially this generation when games usually end at the 10-12 hour mark.

2-11 gets better and better every time I use it.

So fucking great with the wheel. Need to try out the Evora engine swap in it sometime soon.

Jube3

skyfinch said:
I'm nearing the 100 hour mark just on offline racing. Honestly, I don't even remember the last game I bought that kept my interest for this long, especially this generation when games usually end at the 10-12 hour mark.

Yea Im at 50 something hours of driving. According to my profile
Time Driven: 33h 29m
Time spent Test Driving: 23h 53m (this is where I practice drifting)
Time Spent Painting: 240h 11m
Time Spent in the storefront: 90h 3m
Time Spent Upgrading & Tuning: 14h
Number of cars in garage: 321
Garage Value: 62,227,000 (Doesnt count the price the unicorns really cost me lol)
Percentage career complete: 13.6 % (Whoa rofl, time to get cracking on season mode and finishing events)

Jube3

Pretty cool something was just changed to the Most Downloaded feature in the storefront. Im not sure if its daily downloads or weekly downloads but its theres a whole new set of stuff there (inc my ironman vinyl :D)

A few things I'd like to see addressed still:

1. Custom lobbies. Maybe I missed it but is this officially dead? last I recall it was a "we're going to wait and see"

2. The LE car pack being released as DLC

3. We were told they would up the file sizes on the pics taken after the initial load on the servers. Where does that stand?

4. A patch to fix the economy in the game. Season completion should yield big wins. I'm at the end of season 4 and still quite poor. No reason to buy the DLC since I can't afford the car anyway

5. Fix for the steering assist

Jube3

I can answer some of those from stuff I read online

1. Custom lobbies. Maybe I missed it but is this officially dead? last I recall it was a "we're going to wait and see"

Its been confirmed that its not going to happen. I love the new matchmaking personally. All I remember from F2 was getting kicked out of Drift teams lobbies, and the other half of the time being in nissan speedway races. I went private races for my time there. Gaf Night crew ftw.

Its been hinted at recently but nothing confirmed.

3. We were told they would up the file sizes on the pics taken after the initial load on the servers. Where does that stand?

its just a guess but something like that would probably come through a title update. But no new word on that.

4. A patch to fix the economy in the game. Season completion should yield big wins. I'm at the end of season 4 and still quite poor. No reason to buy the DLC since I can't afford the car anyway

Havent read anything about that. I can only offer tips to bring in income.You should really check out the weekly time trial competitions. Even if you cant place in the top 100 you do well enough you can win some cash. Even I've managed to add 150k through the random draw. I think Gram has won like 300k so far from it and with his time this week might add another 300k. Its a good way to supplement your credit income while racing. Theres also the photomode competitions on FM.net. You win you get 2 cars of your choice and a turn10 pick. A turn10 pick pretty much guarantees your storefront 1000 views min from what Ive seen and thats a great way to get some sales started on tunes or whatever. I know its not racing.

Ultimo hombre said:
A few things I'd like to see addressed still:

No offence to you or the others who want it, but I hope they never do this. The LCE was ~$50 more than the standard edition ($89 at GameStop after tax when Amazon had it on sale for $40). The only reason most people got the Limited Edition was for the extra cars.
The ZR-1!

If they make the cars/VIP status into a $10 download I'll be upset to say the least. If you want the cars, you should have to buy the LCE.

Jube3

UltimateIke said:
No offence to you or the others who want it, but I hope they never do this. The LCE was ~$50 more than the standard edition ($89 at GameStop after tax when Amazon had it on sale for $40). The only reason most people got the Limited Edition was for the extra cars.
The ZR-1!

If they make the cars/VIP status into a $10 download I'll be upset to say the least. If you want the cars, you should have to buy the LCE.

My guess is that it would be be two seperate DLC sales one for VIP and one for the Cars. The LE isn't available for sale anymore that I know of. Gamestop stopped selling it about 2 months ago. Thank goodness for gowans who helped me out <3

Jube3 said:
My guess is that it would be be two seperate DLC sales one for VIP and one for the Cars. The LE isn't available for sale anymore that I know of. Gamestop stopped selling it about 2 months ago. Thank goodness for gowans who helped me out <3
That makes a difference then... I guess if you CAN'T buy it, they should make it DLC. I'd feel bad if I bought it late and couldn't get all the cars.

op_ivy

Has there been any mention of fixes for the various sound problems?

i feel like such a negative nancy in the f3 thread, i'm always posting to complain about something or another, but really, i LOVE the game. been playing a ton again lately. now that i've finished season 6 i've been putting more time in tuning cars and time attacking various tracks (POSITANO!). i think i'm at about 6,000 miles now on the in game odometer.

op_ivy said:
Has there been any mention of fixes for the various sound problems?

i feel like such a negative nancy in the f3 thread, i'm always posting to complain about something or another, but really, i LOVE the game. been playing a ton again lately. now that i've finished season 6 i've been putting more time in tuning cars and time attacking various tracks (POSITANO!). i think i'm at about 6,000 miles now on the in game odometer.
I get the sound pops often and it's a bit annoying especially that I wear earphones when I game 90% of the time, it will happen when I hit a rumble strip for the first time or something like it tries to play the rumble sound 30 times at once instead of just one loop, for that brief moment it's way too loud.

I've heard the audio "pop" now. Didn't happen for literally 30 hours, or at least I can't recall hearing it.

Doesn't happen often, maybe 1-2 times in a 2 hour session, but yeah it's unacceptable and needs to be addressed and fixed. Have turn10, or Che acknowledged it and discussed a fix? Won't stop me from playing the game but it is annoying.

BTW, great pic kittongotswet! Maybe some of the better photo takers here can give you some pointers so the next one can be even better?

Jube3

SuperEnemyCrab said:
I've heard the audio "pop" now. Didn't happen for literally 30 hours, or at least I can't recall hearing it.

Doesn't happen often, maybe 1-2 times in a 2 hour session, but yeah it's unacceptable and needs to be addressed and fixed. Have turn10, or Che acknowledged it and discussed a fix? Won't stop me from playing the game but it is annoying.

BTW, great pic kittongotswet! Maybe some of the better photo takers here can give you some pointers so the next one can be even better?

Its been addressed by the audio lead I believe a few weeks ago and the problem I guess was tough because the changes required could/would potentially break other things. I dont have a link but the discussion was over at fm.net

op_ivy

Jube3 said:
Its been addressed by the audio lead I believe a few weeks ago and the problem I guess was tough because the changes required could/would potentially break other things. I dont have a link but the discussion was over at fm.net

that is for the sound pop? or for the incorrect road noise bug (rumble strip sound effect on leguna seca the most obvious)? or for sound effects, such as engine acceleration or braking, staying active or on for far too long?

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Is there a guide somewhere with tips on how to get started playing online? I tried one race online, class B circuit race, and picked a rank 499 BMW that I was able to choose and everyone was soooo much faster than me.

How do I build up my car list? Is it tied to my career car list? Are upgrades included when I play online or just tuning? It seems so different to me than Forza 2. Maybe I'm just missing something.

Someone said that the audio bug was too deep in the code and would require way too much work to fix, I presume rewriting a chunk of the sound code or a work around.

Rather sucks they didn't pick up the problem in testing, when you hear it it's quite obvious and sometimes a loud enough pitch to fuck up speakers if unlucky.

Jube3

op_ivy said:
that is for the sound pop? or for the incorrect road noise bug (rumble strip sound effect on leguna seca the most obvious)? or for sound effects, such as engine acceleration or braking, staying active or on for far too long?

I found the thread and heres a quotes from Mr. Badfrog who is one of the Audio Devs.

"No real update. I've got a fix for the audio stall that happens when music changes songs. Haven't been able to narrow down the pops and clicks. Likely this is a content issue with how a couple of the tracks were marked up which doesn't bode well for a fix since we'd have to patch the entire environment which would be an enormous update. Still looking into though.

This shouldn't cause any problem with your stereo equipment. Play away."

UltimateIke said:
That makes a difference then... I guess if you CAN'T buy it, they should make it DLC. I'd feel bad if I bought it late and couldn't get all the cars.

Admit it, you just don't want to look like a sucker for paying extra for the memorystick.

Jube3

Just a heads-up. We just deployed a server change that makes the top downloaded tab in the storefront rotate weekly. This means only files created during the last 7 days qualify for that tab now.

No more of the same 10 stale files over and over again, and free publicity if you can crack the top 10 for the week with whatever you upload!

Enjoy!

From Voodooumo who does the leaderboards stuff I believe.

I take offense that he called my picture stale! lol jk. Its a great change imo, lots of ways to get some recognition with the T10 picks and the weekly top downloads now too.

Do any coders post here that would be interested in helping me create a Dev Tracker for Fm.net? Not sure how hard something like that is something to search usernames from there or usergroups I guess. I can provide the host space/images for it.

Top Bottom