• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Seanspeed

Banned
G Rom said:
Yep, I totally agree Daiblohead. I deeply think that Forza 3 was rushed to be out before that-other-game which was still rumored to be out for christmas then...

It's a shame because, I also think that with another six months, the game could have been much higher on the scale of awesomeness.
In six months here are the things that I would have concentrated my efforts on :
- Making all the dashboard works (it's a shame that even level gifted cars don't have working dashboards)
- Adding active aero (it's the kind of detail which adds a lot IMO)
- (Shipping with) better driver animations for all cars
- Put higher LOD in replay or at least for close-up shots
- Make a better photo mode (best viral marketing for a racing game !)
- Make better LOD in-game (some cars are so ugly...)
- Improve colors and lighting
- Greatly improve shaders (reduce that specular lighting and and take it off the lights dammit !)
- Replace ugly textures with actual shading on the greatly modeled lights.
-Better braking lights colors (almost all the photos taken with braking lights on end up ugly because the light just become plain red-rosish)
- Add mat, chrome, etc... paints (the Peugeot 908 isn't shinny at all dammit !)
- Add a true arcade mode
- Add a true online mode

Most of these things could have probably be done in 6 months as most of them are fixes for things that are already in the game.
I would have been mad as hell if I had to wait 6 more months just so the game can 'look' a little better. There's so much that could be improved with the gameplay aspects, which matters infinitely more.

Jube3

G Rom said:
Shit, I mixed up the time and thought that I still had time left to enter the R&T competition. I thought that 12 pm actually meant midnight. Well, at least I've learned today that 12 pm means midday...

Suggestion to the community team : Put at least a GMT conversion for reference when you put a time. Heck, just use a 24h clock, it's so much simpler !:lol

Did you manage to do one? I'm curious as to how it turned out.

skyfinch said:
I'm no longer buying any car DLC because of the lack of quick race options. I don't think there's any technical reason not to allow us to pick how many cars, or laps.

I also think that Turn10 put too much emphasis on things like "visual tire deformation", when in all actually, you really don't even notice this, even in replays. If know it may affect the car's handling (although I can't tell the difference), but it wasn't necessary to make it visual. You have to have eagle eyes to even notice this. And even if you could, there's not enough polygons in the rubber to pull this effect off. Not a good use of resources. Time should have been spent on all the other "suggestions" that people have been posting in this thread.
The visual tyre deformation is one of the best visual features they could have added in, it's suttle a lot of the time but it's true to real life, stops the tyres feeling like solid rubber masses or wheels with way too much PSI

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
ElyrionX said:
The only thing that bugs me in this game and the only thing that made me stop playing the game a few months back was the pitiful amount of credits you earn in return for your time invested. It really really stinks and considering there's so many different cars and upgrades in this game, it doesn't make sense at all.

I've said this before but I think the problem can be solved very simply. All T10 would have to do is make the level gift cars have the same resale value as their in-game store version. This actually has the benefit of killing two birds with one stone; gamers get more credits to play around with in the game and the auction house will no longer be flooded with worthless cars. As a bonus, players will also end up being able to customize their garages to only contain cars that they actually like and not have all the eyesores filling it up.

I just don't understand why T10 doesn't seem to think this is a problem with the game.
Not this shit again.

Turn it off Easy. Damn.

G Rom

Jube3 said:
Did you manage to do one? I'm curious as to how it turned out.

I had planned to use the whole evening to make my entries but once I saw on FM.net that the contests were over, I stopped trying to do a cover or R&T specific photos.
This was my first and only try at the cover contest, could have been improved a lot :

Road_and_track_cover1.jpg

Instead I did some random photos :
Forza402.jpg

Forza404.jpg

Forza405.jpg

Forza406.jpg

Forza407.jpg

Forza409.jpg

Sidewinder is such a good looking track.

skyfinch

Diablohead said:
The visual tyre deformation is one of the best visual features they could have added in, it's suttle a lot of the time but it's true to real life, stops the tyres feeling like solid rubber masses or wheels with way too much PSI

Like I said, for handling purposes, it's good. But visually, I'm not sure it was even worth it. Honestly, no one even mentions tire flex when it comes to the visual part. I have yet to see a photo, taken in photo mode, that shows this, mainly because it's nearly impossible to see. To do tire flex correctly, you would need a hell of a lot more polygons in the tire mesh.

Instead, I would have much rather seen things like retractable spoilers on cars that have them in real life.

skyfinch said:
Like I said, for handling purposes, it's good. But visually, I'm not sure it was even worth it. Honestly, no one even mentions tire flex when it comes to the visual part. I have yet to see a photo, taken in photo mode, that shows this, mainly because it's nearly impossible to see. To do tire flex correctly, you would need a hell of a lot more polygons in the tire mesh.

Instead, I would have much rather seen things like retractable spoilers on cars that have them in real life.
Hm very strange, do you play on a HDTV at all? I ask because if I pause the game while taking a corner at medium speeds I can see the tyres working out, back in the demo I use to use the ferrari to make doughnuts in 3rd person to see the rear wheels move like jelly :D

G Rom

Although difficult, it is possible to take photos where you see tire flex skyfinch. I posted this one a while ago :

Forza389.jpg

I agree with you though, I would take active aero over tire flex any day.

Here are my current settings cjelly :
Shutter Speed : 5<x<20 (depends on the speed of the car, I prefer subtle motion blur)
Aperture : Totally depends on the photo but I avoid mixing a high shutter speed with aperture because it creates ugly bloom. I mainly use the aperture to hide things like a bad texture, same with the shutter speed.
Exposure : 48/50
Contrast : 22
Color : 50
Brightness : 48
Sepia : 6/8

G Rom said:
Yep, I totally agree Daiblohead. I deeply think that Forza 3 was rushed to be out before that-other-game which was still rumored to be out for christmas then...

G-rom wishlist etc etc

Well, now I'll go take some photos and search the name of the guy who did the V12 Vantage livery !:lol

I don't think it was rush out because of that other game but that they do have release schedule and dateline that probably dictate by their publisher (Microsoft). Most studio don't have the luxury to release game whenever it's done and they have certain amount of budget and goal that have to be met.

Also in that leak survey awhile back wasn't there a thing about yearly update of the title as being one of the question. The game could be patch as Forza 3.5 and there would also be a new box game release with all the DLC included. That was one of the thing I was really excited about in the survey.

I have only a few issues with the game really such as the low-res photomode output (I think that's the biggerst lost as it's essentially free advertisment for the game), and the lack of more dynamic incorporation of DLC cars and tracks. Other than that it's by far the best console racing sim.

skyfinch

Diablohead said:
Hm very strange, do you play on a HDTV at all? I ask because if I pause the game while taking a corner at medium speeds I can see the tyres working out, back in the demo I use to use the ferrari to make doughnuts in 3rd person to see the rear wheels move like jelly :D

Yep, I play on 1080p (upscaled, of course).

In the demo, there used to be super high quality renders during the loading screens. One was with an older model car, but it shows tire flex in all its glory. But I'm positive that the renders were using the car models from the menu screen.
I can see it in the photo G Rom took, but that's with the car being switched to a higher quality photo mode model. Never seen it during a race.

I download DLC for Shift today and no, the DLC doesn't really incorporate into original game, you essentially just get another "tier" to race. What is bad is that you can't even used the cars from original game or Ferrari with the new "tier". It's restricted to just the DLC cars in most of the races. I am not sure if you can set up your own custom race with the DLC since I didn't really get to play it a whole lot.

Anyway, I think Forza 3 just need a "free" race that either randomly generate race day or may be let you just set up a race.

There are a few more DLC cars for Forza 3 down the pipe right?

Hyoushi

All the doods that signed up for the GAF Forza stuff in the Online forum seem to have disappeared. Disappointing to be doing all these TT:s on my own! What gives!

skyfinch said:
Yep, I play on 1080p (upscaled, of course).

In the demo, there used to be super high quality renders during the loading screens. One was with an older model car, but it shows tire flex in all its glory. But I'm positive that the renders were using the car models from the menu screen.
I can see it in the photo G Rom took, but that's with the car being switched to a higher quality photo mode model. Never seen it during a race.
Not going against you here but it's there while racing, although I have no idea if the cpu cars have it but the player does at all times.

Forza 4 news already? I hope not, I want to see the game be more then just a touch up, the sooner companies bring out sequels the less obliged I am to buy their titles knowing that in 6 months the new hot will be coming, personal opinion of course.

*edit* that list seems fake, Road Rash HD? COD MMO? BATTLETOADS? it's like rumours printed onto paper!

Gowans

Hyoushi said:
All the doods that signed up for the GAF Forza stuff in the Online forum seem to have disappeared. Disappointing to be doing all these TT:s on my own! What gives!

I blame my baby.

G Rom

At that rate, Forza 5 would go head to head with GT5 !:lol

This list is so fake. It's like fanboys from all horizons united to make the ultimate list of game they'd like to see. Looks like GT fanboy weren't invited though. :lol

Seriously, no GT5 just put this list in the fake camp as it's been at E3 every year since it was announced in one way or another.

rjcc

Hyoushi said:

I showed up for the race weekend before last and...no one.

rjcc said:
I showed up for the race weekend before last and...no one.
Back with forza 1 and 2 I tried the same kind of thing with racing leagues but it was hard to do, people forget or have no time to spend 30 minutes online to race.

Little story: back with the forza 1 launch I bought www.forzamotorclub.com to make a user managed league similar to those websites that rely on all users to log in, confirm the score of the game they were in and then it gets added to a league table. It was a lot of work to code and I never got far with it.

It's something forza 4 needs to have, some kind of league engine that can setup races for user made leagues. Forza 2's online tournaments where you do a hotlap over a few days to register for a race is one step forward, but it's no where to be seen in forza 3!?

For me, evolving the online side of racing games is not matchmaking but events and challenges just like real racing, it would be great if like matchmaking, forza 4 has something that pairs you up with people who need to race in tier 1, then once you finish in the top 3 you get access to tier 2. Something like that so you can progress and rank up. Come last in a tier 2 race and you drop back down to Tier 1.

Online collisions would have to be ghost for this kind of thing.

*edit* to add in, F355 challenge did the best online mode EVER MADE in a racing game, EVER.

You raced 2 laps like a time trial and so did the other people in the lobby but you were all invisible to each other, at the end of a race you did not know who won until you let the game compile all the replay data (took a few minutes due to dialup speeds) and then you sat back and watched a replay of everyone racing at the same time! cars would ghost through each other but it was AMAZING to watch, just like a tv race you do not know who wins until the end, and most people would take the racing line, it was brilliant.

G Rom

You've just described what could have been the evolution of :
213020-xsn_sports_large.jpg

Such a shame that Microsoft put it so quickly to closet as it could be much more popular now that the Xbox Live is so big. :(

When Turn 10 announced that there would be matchmaking, I was excited because I thought they would make rooms with funny rules (a la Bungie with Halo) or match real world championship. For example make DTM rooms where there are an equal number of stock Audi and stock Mercedes randomly assigned to players with the ability to load liveries even if you didn't buy the C Class or unlocked the A4.
The same could have been done with Nascar, V8 Supercars, Leon Cupra Cup, Porsche Cup or even LMS.
There's a great diversity in race cars which is greatly underexploited IMO.

Even without public lobby, the online could have been much better.

skyfinch

Mass Effect 3 is under Sony, but shouldn't be under EA?

Anyways, I don't want to see Forza 4 on the 360. Turn 10 made a lot of sacrifices to get Forza 3 running at 60fps.
They have all of the super high quality car models from the menu screen done, now hopefully they'll start from scratch for everything else. All of the tracks should be rebuilt, instead of getting minor upgrades like they did from Forza 2 - 3. I would love to see Forza 4 as a launch title for the next generation.

eso76

skyfinch said:
Mass Effect 3 is under Sony, but shouldn't be under EA?

Anyways, I don't want to see Forza 4 on the 360. Turn 10 made a lot of sacrifices to get Forza 3 running at 60fps.
They have all of the super high quality car models from the menu screen done, now hopefully they'll start from scratch for everything else. All of the tracks should be rebuilt, instead of getting minor upgrades like they did from Forza 2 - 3. I would love to see Forza 4 as a launch title for the next generation.

seconded. FM4 should be a nextbox launch title.
12 (or even 10 i don't mind) high quality lod cars on track, redone lighting (REMOVE THE SPECULAR DAMMIT. What's such a soft specular light doing on a shiny metal surface??).
As for rebuilding old tracks...are you sure ? that would mean using time and resources to bring back the same tracks once more.

As far as old tracks go they just need to take more pics to use as textures (a lot of the time, what prevents Fm3 from looking 'photorealistic' is not cars as much as the tracks' colours and handdrawn textures) and pre bake lighting + photon mapping (think mirror's edge) on textures.

I would expect texture res. and IQ to be perfect next gen, but they still need to FIX cars physics; weight shifting during fast turns is still greatly underestimated. And damage model needs a complete rework. Also, weather and night racing.

Well, thinking of it, they might have hundreds of car models ready for FM4, but there's still a lot of work to do. Then again, November 2012 is still 2,5 years away :)

luxarific

Nork unification denier
The MS controller wheel is on clearance at Best Buy B&M stores if anyone still needs one. Picked up one at the Pentagon City, VA store yesterday. Hopefully it'll improve my driving in this game. :lol

Jube3

There's a game night with Turn 10 tomorrow starting at 6 PM PDT. Just for fun, there will be a few devs racing/tagging. Who knows, there might be some unicorns/codes given out as well :D

original.aspx

Here's a quote from the blog
The game night begins at 6:00 PDT on Thursday the 29th and will continue until around 8:00 PDT. If you regularly read the week in review you might know where I will be hanging out in but here is the full list of where you can find us. I will be dropping hints on the Turn 10 twitter this Thursday night with clues to the whereabouts of the staff members that are currently racing. Here are 4 gamertags to get you started, be on the lookout for these four names in any of the lobbies listed below: Turntenstudios, Phredesign, Ayo Jube and Ayrton2222. These won't be the only names you see online, so again, be on the lookout for anyone with a Turn 10 symbol next to their name.

And the link
http://bit.ly/bLnQIk

G Rom

Too bad the timing is not really Euro friendly or I would have tried to participate. :)

eso76 said:
12 (or even 10 i don't mind) high quality lod cars on track, redone lighting (REMOVE THE SPECULAR DAMMIT. What's such a soft specular light doing on a shiny metal surface??).
As for rebuilding old tracks...are you sure ? that would mean using time and resources to bring back the same tracks once more.

As far as old tracks go they just need to take more pics to use as textures (a lot of the time, what prevents Fm3 from looking 'photorealistic' is not cars as much as the tracks' colours and handdrawn textures) and pre bake lighting + photon mapping (think mirror's edge) on textures.

I would expect texture res. and IQ to be perfect next gen, but they still need to FIX cars physics; weight shifting during fast turns is still greatly underestimated. And damage model needs a complete rework. Also, weather and night racing.

More cars on track would be great. At least on longer tracks like Le Mans, Nurburgring, etc...
Obviously on short tracks like Maple Valley Short, it would be ridiculous (could be fun for some destruction derby race though !:lol ) but as long as it scales depending on the track...
I won't comment on the specular, I think I've made my point enough throughout many posts.

I don't think they would necessarily need to rebuild the whole tracks either. Just import the models, make better choice in art direction (ie. color and lighting), improve the textures (they may already have them), change the trees, add more crowds and details on the side and voilà ! :)
Ever since the first Forza, I've always found the tracks to be really well done, very detailed. What I particularly like is the feeling that the tracks "lived" before you raced there with all tire marks and walls with hits mark on them. More animation on the track side wouldn't hurt though.

Like I said before, I don't think the game needs a lot of heavy work to look a lot better.

I agree on the damage. I hope we'll see vast improvements with next gen on this.
One thing that I wonder for next gen is if we're going to see some sort of PhysX or OpenCL implementation or if they are just gonna stick with the CPU doing physics all by itself.

If they have weather and night racing in Forza 4, they can't have pre baked lighting. At least, if you want changing time or stormy weather with lightening flashing from time to time.

Other than graphics, one thing that I'd like to be improved is the sound. I know that the sounds are top notch but I more talking about the modifications of the sound.
One example is Camino Viejo. On this track you should have a huge echo because of the mountains but there is almost none. I've been to the Spanish WRC rally once, I can assure you that you hear the cars miles away. :lol
It was the same when I went to a see Hill Climb in the Alps where there were a lot of "normal" cars.
Driving my S700 Impreza in the game today made me think that it would be a nice feature if the sound changed with the weight reduction upgrade (which should earn you money BTW...) too. :D

eso76 said:

Well, thinking of it, they might have hundreds of car models ready for FM4, but there's still a lot of work to do. Then again, November 2012 is still 2,5 years away :)
Car count indeed needs to improve, even if it's only for certain classes or tracks ala GT5 with the ring supporting 16 cars or whatever, london limited to 12 due to details, and so on.

8 is good but on tracks like the nurb it becomes vastly empty after the first two miles and turns into a hot lap, One thing I did like about Shift was the full pack of cars you could race against especially on hard, you had to really watch out for traffic and it was near impossible to jump the entire pack of cars on the first corner like it is on forza games.

I also agree that the next forza should be on the nextbox, the 360 doesn't need another inhouse sim racer anytime soon.

zorbsie

ElyrionX said:
The only thing that bugs me in this game and the only thing that made me stop playing the game a few months back was the pitiful amount of credits you earn in return for your time invested. It really really stinks and considering there's so many different cars and upgrades in this game, it doesn't make sense at all.

I've said this before but I think the problem can be solved very simply. All T10 would have to do is make the level gift cars have the same resale value as their in-game store version. This actually has the benefit of killing two birds with one stone; gamers get more credits to play around with in the game and the auction house will no longer be flooded with worthless cars. As a bonus, players will also end up being able to customize their garages to only contain cars that they actually like and not have all the eyesores filling it up.

I just don't understand why T10 doesn't seem to think this is a problem with the game.

This is exactly why I've stopped buying the DLC cars. I just can't afford to buy the cars with in game credits. So it becomes pointless to keep buying DLC cars I can't customize and tune.

When will T10 let us use MSP to buy in game credits?

DasRaven

DasRaven said:
I'm fully aware of where your list comes from. However, I stand by the precedent set by FM1, 2, and 3 thus far. When Gumpert (or another Make) is added to the game, I'll gladly admit I was wrong.

I'm here to state that I was wrong and I couldn't be happier to say so if this is true.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1087221p1.html

10 new Makes? Gumpert, Weismann, Ascari, Yes please!

And if T10 has gotten into the business of making me wrong, let me say that we will never see customizable multiplayer with AI opponents available for Xbox Live Silver users. :D

zorbsie said:
This is exactly why I've stopped buying the DLC cars. I just can't afford to buy the cars with in game credits. So it becomes pointless to keep buying DLC cars I can't customize and tune.

When will T10 let us use MSP to buy in game credits?

Arghh, no! What are you suggesting....??!

I got NSF:Shift DLC, and it gave you all the cars off the bat when you buy the DLC and to me it really take out the "fun" of earning credit to buy cars. There was no reason to buy the lesser Ferrari when I can just pick the higher tier one. I think what they may be need to tweak is a slightly better pay out for racing.

Jube3

The spy shot contest rolls out today for the May car pack on IGN. There are 5 DLC codes up for grabs for each car (50 in total). :D

zorbsie

antiquegamer said:
Arghh, no! What are you suggesting....??!

I got NSF:Shift DLC, and it gave you all the cars off the bat when you buy the DLC and to me it really take out the "fun" of earning credit to buy cars. There was no reason to buy the lesser Ferrari when I can just pick the higher tier one. I think what they may be need to tweak is a slightly better pay out for racing.

I know it was a bad idea. :)
It's just with a job and a 3 year old, I don't have the time to grind races for credits.
I don't want to sound like a whiner about it, but that is my situation.

I can see your point with the NFS:Shift DLC. I still would like to work to get the credits to buy the cars it just seems like there is a ton of grinding involved to get the credits. I still haven't purchased that Ferrari from the first DLC pack we got. I think tweaking the race payouts is a great idea. Even having Double/Triple payout weekend races online would be worth it. Of course then you would get guys racing dirty to get the better payout.

skyfinch

:lol Went back to try and finish career mode. I have TWO races left, both are on Camino Viejo de Montserrat Extreme. Great thing is, I can't enter either races because I get an error saying it can't read the disc. 120 hours spent in career mode, 99.9% complete and I get bent over with two races left. :lol

Can't be my Xbox because all other tracks and races work, plus I went through Splinter Cell Conviction about 4 times and had no problems with disc errors. Forza 3 disc has no scratches on it. I didn't think this would ever be a problem again, seeing how I play all my games on the hard drive.

G Rom

Second one is definitely the 2009 Gumpert Apollo Sport.
Don't know about the first one but I don't think it is the T1.
People over at Forzacentral and FM.net think that it's a Mosler T900.

Adding two manufacturers with one DLC, that would be a first !:D

Edit : Hadn't read the IGN article, 10 cars from manufacturers which haven't appeared in Forza 3 yet ! Nice ! :)

Edit 2 : It may be fun car pack if we get 10 "independent" supercars. Finger crossed for the Veritas RS III which had one the beastliest sound ever heard on Top Gear :
veritas-rs-iii-roadster-1.jpg

Looking at the power laps from Top Gear, Ascari and Noble could also fit the "exotic cars from new manufacturers" thing. :D
Just thought that Ultima Sport fits in too. Shit, adding new manufacturers adds so many car possibilities !:lol

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
G Rom said:
Second one is definitely the 2009 Gumpert Apollo Sport.
Don't know about the first one but I don't think it is the T1.
People over at Forzacentral and FM.net think that it's a Mosler T900.

Adding two manufacturers with one DLC, that would be a first !:D

Edit : Hadn't read the IGN article, 10 cars from manufacturers which haven't appeared in Forza 3 yet ! Nice ! :)
Finally we get the Ariel Atom and Caterham. :D

G Rom

Wouldn't count on that. The TofuR leak said that cars with exposed suspension were cut from the game : "No exposed suspension cars like Ariel Atoms, Lotus 340Rs or Caterhams, even though T10 owns PGR and they had the tech to model working suspensions. "
In more that six months, they may have been able to overcome that though. :D

Here are some photos that I've taken recently :
4577887482_7f373af6d6.jpg

4577887558_6ccc4bebc8.jpg

4577887624_d356e8ed21.jpg

4577255111_7fe274c394.jpg

And one stitch that I've done (I moved my 400+ photos file on the hdd to start from scratch, much faster now...)

4577888118_e772fce804_b.jpg

lord pie

cjelly said:
Finally we get the Ariel Atom and Caterham. :D

Ohh please let it be so

Today is a good day. After my 360 wheel died I went mad and ordered a fanatec. It finally arrived today :D
The wheel is awesome, the pedals (clubsport) are simply insane, the shifter is loud enough to wake the neighbors and the rensport stand could withstand a bomb blast.

It's fantastic

Now if only I knew how to drive properly :lol

Jube3

lord pie said:
Ohh please let it be so

Today is a good day. After my 360 wheel died I went mad and ordered a fanatec. It finally arrived today :D
The wheel is awesome, the pedals (clubsport) are simply insane, the shifter is loud enough to wake the neighbors and the rensport stand could withstand a bomb blast.

It's fantastic

Now if only I knew how to drive properly :lol

Damn, check you out man :lol that's awesome. I've read the shifter does not click as loudly after a bit of use but I am sure someone here can confirm if that is true or not. I'm jealous hehe

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Jube, please continue to bump the thread with the latest spyshots.

Can't be arsed to trawl through IGN or FM.net forums every day. Thanks. :D

thundr51

Anybody else notice the lack of VIP car battles? Did they change the frequency again? Hey Jube, if Darth Che isn't around, can you spill the beans on this?:D

Also, when is the next playdate, I just happened to be out of town last time...

Top Bottom