• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

Psychotext said:
What a random set of cars.
3 good cars, x padding and filler cars.

Feels bad man.

I played a bit more of the boring as shit single player today to nibble away at that final achievement, amazing how I played forza 2 from 0 to 100% nearly 3 times overall yet fail to finish this version all the way at least once, it's bigger but it's just more of the same and has become quite boring.

I like messing around with a random car and tuning it not towards a class limit but playing the rules like 300bhp max, only sport suspensions, no forza wing. This would be twice as fun if the AI could drive clones of my custom car instead of stock shit.

I wonder how che's apprentice will work, will he post here? will he take us up to hype levels as tall as the moon? cool as che is I hope the next person doesn't mistake dev console image dumps as stuff we will get in the final game and all that shit.

I think forza 4 needs a little sprinkle of PGR to pip it up like cone challenges and overtake.

Please have a Brabus body kit and V12 swap for that C63!!! Though I'll probably buy 2 since the 6.2 V8 is a nice sound on its own :D

Day 1 for me. Its been months since I played Forza :p

shinnn

A quick comparison between Kinect footage and FM3. Actually they changed a lot of small things at Fujimi Kaido.

65972x.jpg

357rprq.jpg

4ggcax.jpg

eg1jc2.jpg

svqm46.jpg

iwj9ty.jpg

334hxk4.jpg

zk1uet.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
watching the e3 demo posted earlier, its quite apparent that its a significant increase in both trackside detail and lighting. i just hope all tracks from earlier games receive a facelift. it urked me that some tracks looked noticably better than others in f3

Am I blind or does one screenshot of the Kinect-Forza 3 comparison above show the Kinect side of a cliff to be horribly lacking in polygon detail? :/

Cuban Legend said:
Am I blind or does one screenshot of the Kinect-Forza 3 comparison above show the Kinect side of a cliff to be horribly lacking in polygon detail? :/

Kinect screens are not direct feed shots, those are (awfully compressed) video grabs.

shinnn

Cuban Legend said:

I think is the oposite. The cliffs are more "polygon" detailed in Kinect demo. You can see it better in the second screen.

skyfinch

shinnn said:
I think is the oposite. The cliffs are more "polygon" detailed in Kinect demo. You can see it better in the second screen.

That's what I noticed too. Forza 3's look smooth, more textures than actual polygons, but in the kinect demo, cliff side looks like it's modeled with more protrusions and edges.

I thought the Xbox had hit its limits with Forza 3, so even in the early stages, it's nice to see that there's been improvements made to the engine.

I think the improvements we see between forza 3 and forza kinect are a testament to the development method turn 10 is using.

Instead of attempting to make a single all encompassing sim racer they the create a set of content and and constantly improve and add to that content with each sequel being a nominally improvement over the last.

Though i really think they should develop a pgr next, and introduce a bunch of smaller circuits, city levels, and more game modes... that could then be transferred to forza 4....

Ok, I've gone back to Fulltime play with Forza 3.

I'm fed up with this. My Designs and Vinyls take ages to load and once loaded it's got a 2-3 second lag between just selecting the next/previous in the list. Unacceptable.

How do I fix this?

-If it didn't already intelligently put the Designs compatible my currently selected car in the beginning of the list, I'd give up Forza 3 all together. As there's no way I'd spend all day scrolling through that laggy list.

Jube3

Cuban Legend said:
Ok, I've gone back to Fulltime play with Forza 3.

I'm fed up with this. My Designs and Vinyls take ages to load and once loaded it's got a 2-3 second lag between just selecting the next/previous in the list. Unacceptable.

How do I fix this?

-If it didn't already intelligently put the Designs compatible my currently selected car in the beginning of the list, I'd give up Forza 3 all together. As there's no way I'd spend all day scrolling through that laggy list.

You must be close to 250-300 vinyls Im guessing? I've seen this problem before (here as well) and I ran into it myself when I was doing a lot of photostitching.

shinnn said:
A quick comparison between Kinect footage and FM3. Actually they changed a lot of small things at Fujimi Kaido.

PICTURES
That is quite awesome seeing them side by side, I can see exactly what they have done to 1) save on polygons, and 2) better lighting and shadows.

Due to the new time of day they can use darker shadows in areas, I like dark shadows in my games. It's nice to see that they changed a boring muddy slope into a rock wall, looks much nicer. Sure the first screen is from the same location? since the distance hill is actually part of the track you drive thru.

Jube3 said:
You must be close to 250-300 vinyls Im guessing? I've seen this problem before (here as well) and I ran into it myself when I was doing a lot of photostitching.
Yes, I'm definitely in the 200+ range. At first, a few weeks ago the screen would lag upon opening it but browsing the vinyls/designs was smooth.

Then the browsing became slower until now It lags for over a whole second or two before it switches 1 item over to the left or right.

I can't count exactly how many I have, but I bet by this point it's irrelevant. (I wouldn't bother to sit through and count them all with that lag anyway) Any help?

fernoca

The new cars looks nice, but did they added a filter to them..or is a similar effect possible playing with the options/colors in the current game?

And sorry for another dumb question, but..how can you take pics of the cars..inside? I've tried every button and zomming the camera..and nothing.. :(

kamspy

Forza Motorsport 3 is inequivocally the best and my personal favorite console game this generation by a good margin.

True story.

Jube3

Cuban Legend said:
Yes, I'm definitely in the 200+ range. At first, a few weeks ago the screen would lag upon opening it but browsing the vinyls/designs was smooth.

Then the browsing became slower until now It lags for over a whole second or two before it switches 1 item over to the left or right.

I can't count exactly how many I have, but I bet by this point it's irrelevant. (I wouldn't bother to sit through and count them all with that lag anyway) Any help?
You don't have to count them, but you might have to trim them down. If you apply the design to a car you can delete it which is what I do to keep my count down. If they are vinyls. You made you can group them into a set of vinyls to save space, for example all my logos (about 100) are stored in about 5 vinyls.

shinnn

Diablohead said:
Sure the first screen is from the same location? since the distance hill is actually part of the track you drive thru.
Yes, it's the exactly same location. I think that is just a background image. Btw, I took the footage from "Stage D" section.

fernoca said:
The new cars looks nice, but did they added a filter to them..or is a similar effect possible playing with the options/colors in the current game?

And sorry for another dumb question, but..how can you take pics of the cars..inside? I've tried every button and zomming the camera..and nothing.. :(
It's a screen grab from a video replay. You can't take inside pictures in photomode.

eso76

shinnn said:
It's a screen grab from a video replay. You can't take inside pictures in photomode.

strange, what's the fm3 watermark doing in those pics ? it only appears in pics taken with photomode afaik.

And yes, that cliff definitely has more actual geometry, but that's like the last thing fm3 needed to improve on :p

G Rom

eso76 said:
strange, what's the fm3 watermark doing in those pics ? it only appears in pics taken with photomode afaik.

And yes, that cliff definitely has more actual geometry, but that's like the last thing fm3 needed to improve on :p
Watermark also appears on videos rendered in-game.

I agree on the geometry. I don't care about geometry on tracks because those are alreaey well above average in details (they just need more animations on the trackside). What matters the most IMO is geometry on cars which needs massive improvements/optimisation in-game and during replays and lighting which needs to be totally revamped.

I really wish, Turn 10 would release these videos in HD with an acceptable bitrate. As it is now, it's really hard to make a worthy comparison.

Jube3 said:
You don't have to count them, but you might have to trim them down. If you apply the design to a car you can delete it which is what I do to keep my count down. If they are vinyls. You made you can group them into a set of vinyls to save space, for example all my logos (about 100) are stored in about 5 vinyls.
That doesn't sound like the solution I wanted to hear. When you delete a Design after applying it to a car, what If you want to reapply it? do you have to find that design in the storefront again and re-download it for free or do you have to pay for it again? My storefront items don't make enough money for me each month to afford that...

Well, here's what I did:
-I took my FM3 USB Key from my *ahem* OG FM3 VIP Package...:lol
-Stuck it in my 360, formatted it, and moved all my FM3 stuff to it, except for the game itself and the car packs, basically all the stuff that gets loaded up like my Save, Options, Pictures, Ghosts, Movie Clips, Tunes, Design Catalog and Vinyls.
-Everything was pretty small. But to put it into perspective, My Design Catalog was 17MB. XD
-After this, I loaded up the game, and went to Paint, My Designs and the screen loaded up twice as fast, and I could scroll through the designs without a 2 second lag, and instead with a shorter .5 second lag.
-Basically everything that was put on the USB loaded 2x as fast.
-No, I haven't tried this with the bulk of the game, it would be nice to halve my load track times.

I'm assuming now I can hold about twice as many Designs as I hold now, before it starts to lag again like when it was in the HDD.

Thanks for the advice though Jube, I'll definitely merge as many Vinyls as I can. Also, Jube, when will you be releasing your HD-updated FM3 tutorials you promised to make a while back? I remember watching you on your justin.tv stream and subscribing to your Youtube Channel in anticipation for those tutorials, back when you were just a lowly FM3 plebeian before you entered official FM3 ranks... I hope you haven't forgotten about us small folk. :D

Thank you T10! Brabus Body Kit and V12 Swap confirmed :D

4790470426_f38143d095.jpg

4790470358_f606c97edb.jpg

Forgot to paint the wheels black :p

I still wish the game had a proper matte black finish :(

G Rom

You just made the wait for the DLC code harder !:D

I agree on the paint finish, that's something that I've been requesting for a long time. I'd love to see the ability to put different type of paint on vinyls on the same car (ie. chrome, matte, perlescent). :)

TheOddOne

twinturbo2 said:
Got the Crackdown 2 car yesterday, can I get a list of the other special livery cars so I know I didn't delete anything when I deleted the previous 2 car packs to get the "collect at least one car per make" achievement?
WAT? How did you get it?

G Rom

Almost right. :D
There's 504 cars according to the Forza Central list which is the most reliable and complete available. Even without the 6 pre-order cars, we're still at 498. That includes all the DLC, LCE, VIP (ZR-1, GT3 RS, etc... not the gifted one) and Unicorns cars.

That's an impressive number especially given that all the DLCs are nicely filling the gap between Forza 3 and Forza 4 with cars from 2010 and 2011. Even if I'd like more older car in the game (I understand that it makes almost no sense for car manufacturers to put older cars instead of their latest creations though), I like the fact that the game isn't obsolete car wise thanks to the DLCs. That's partially how I always envisioned the DLC in a game like Forza or GT : a constant flow of releases to keep up with the real car industry.

Now if only, we could have the SLS, LF-A, 918, a real street Zonda and a real street Koenigsegg, I think we would be square in the supercars department !:D
Shit, imagine if Turn 10 released a DLC with those five cars, it would be like the DLC of the forever !:lol

skyfinch

G Rom said:
Almost right. :D
There's 504 cars according to the Forza Central list which is the most reliable and complete available. Even without the 6 pre-order cars, we're still at 498. That includes all the DLC, LCE, VIP (ZR-1, GT3 RS, etc... not the gifted one) and Unicorns cars.

That's an impressive number especially given that all the DLCs are nicely filling the gap between Forza 3 and Forza 4 with cars from 2010 and 2011. Even if I'd like more older car in the game (I understand that it makes almost no sense for car manufacturers to put older cars instead of their latest creations though), I like the fact that the game isn't obsolete car wise thanks to the DLCs. That's partially how I always envisioned the DLC in a game like Forza or GT : a constant flow of releases to keep up with the real car industry.

Now if only, we could have the SLS, LF-A, 918, a real street Zonda and a real street Koenigsegg, I think we would be square in the supercars department !:D
Shit, imagine if Turn 10 released a DLC with those five cars, it would be like the DLC of the forever !:lol

Add the Mclaren f1 into that mix and I'd do a naked hoedown in the middle of rush hour.

zorbsie

G Rom said:

I totally agree. I love how the DLC packs just keep coming. I just wish that they would bring out a new track already. I know the issue of not integrating new tracks in the career, but I would love a new track to race with friends online.

fernoca

TheOddOne said:
WAT? How did you get it?
Gift-messages from them; in-game. (Left Trigger in the menu)..

I received a bunch of cars the other day..aside the Crackdown 2 car, Toy Soldiers, Game Room, Perfect Dark, Halo Waypoint...and a ton more..so it seems they are stored for some time...or something.

Jube3

Cuban Legend said:
Thanks for the advice though Jube, I'll definitely merge as many Vinyls as I can. Also, Jube, when will you be releasing your HD-updated FM3 tutorials you promised to make a while back? I remember watching you on your justin.tv stream and subscribing to your Youtube Channel in anticipation for those tutorials, back when you were just a lowly FM3 plebeian before you entered official FM3 ranks... I hope you haven't forgotten about us small folk. :D

Yea I have a bunch of tutorials ready to go in SD (shading, tips and tricks, advanced shading, car layouts) and some almost done in HD. Once I get my home workstation setup again (which will hopefully be this month) I will be uploading them to the Turn 10 youtube (and some on my channel as well). I've been dying to get some new tutorials up. I miss my PC too hehe.

TheOddOne said:
WAT? How did you get it?

The Crackdown 2 Saleen went out last Tuesday to VIP's

G Rom

skyfinch said:
Add the Mclaren f1 into that mix and I'd do a naked hoedown in the middle of rush hour.

Oh yeah, how I could I forgot a McLaren F1 or F1 LM. Shame on me ! :)
What I don't understand in this case is that Turn 10 said more than once that Microsoft is in charge of the software (I think ?) at the McLaren factory. That's how they got a free pass to precious physics informations. Why don't they use this free pass again to get the whole McLaren F1 line-up laser scanned ?!:D

I totally agree. I love how the DLC packs just keep coming. I just wish that they would bring out a new track already. I know the issue of not integrating new tracks in the career, but I would love a new track to race with friends online.

Yep, I totally agree on the track issue. If another track is released, it needs to be less than 400 MS Points though. I still think that, while being a great track, the Nürburgring GP is overpriced. If it had at least the possibility to link with the Nordschleif, the price would have been a bit more acceptable.
Although, I'd take a simple offline customizable arcade mode where you earn money first. :D

G Rom

Yeah, MyForza is really slow and 95% of the time the thumbnails don't even load... :(
Anyway, here are some photos of the DLC that I've taken yesterday and this morning. I also have the photos for a big stitch, I just have to do it (Photoshop makes a complete mess on this one with the automated stitch :lol ) :

Stock C63 :
4793105046_ddc40e2fdb.jpg

4793105120_9771a4828a.jpg

Stock DS3 (really fun to drive) :
4792471491_d44f6aee89.jpg

4793105532_a12908ef3f.jpg

4792472437_80907ec715.jpg

4793106436_7a9e8bac17.jpg

Half a Brabus Bullit (didn't have enough money for the engine swap !:lol ) :
4793105588_8554da178e.jpg

4792471729_dca434ba77.jpg

Stock (I think) CTS-V Coupé :
4793105780_b7b47e5583.jpg

4793105946_f790628321.jpg

4793106020_6d3093c782.jpg

4792472109_76acf568c4.jpg

4792472227_9b21507532.jpg

Stock Forte Koup :
4792918309_0830ec99c6.jpg

4792918431_dcb6aa7c27.jpg

4792918637_fda12d94ac.jpg

Stock CL65 :
4792918891_6e14068373.jpg

4793553326_14046eb6c3.jpg

Stock Colt (surprisingly very fun to drive) :
4793553544_d93305b859.jpg

4793553702_82d85cd566.jpg

4792919319_fa938d7a74.jpg

4792919465_51ecba3637.jpg

4792919593_3104ec26f3.jpg

Stock McLaren MP4-12C :
4793554202_915d189091.jpg

4793554294_a7bb53c791.jpg

4793554510_aae9b66b5d.jpg

4793554682_1b981ed828.jpg

4792919929_25a9d56583.jpg

DSK123

Neo Member
Just got Forza 3 yesterday and I'm loving it. My Microsoft wireless racing wheel has been sitting in the closet for a few years and I finally got it out. However the pedals don't seem to work. I tried changing the cord but that did nothing. Anyway I can maybe reinstall the drivers or something? Not sure what could be wrong, any ideas?

Trojan X

Banned
I'm getting a little tired of seeing new cars, what I really would like to see are new track and game-changing features. I would..

Tokyo-Interchange-2.jpg
Piccadilly%20Circus.jpg

... love to drive through the full street of New York, Chicago, (not the crummy short time-square track they provided), the cool streets of Shibuya & Shotoku, London and many other places.

bild01_med.jpg

... also want dynamic and real-time weather effects that will affect the tracks and give me a reason to turn on my windscreen wipers and headlights.

Tokyo%20at%20Night-143204.jpeg

...I also want my night-time racing which should have been in the game from Day-1.

times%20square%20day.jpg
picadilly%20circus%20.jpg
shibuya.JPG

..want an actual real-time clock that will change the time of day & night in dependancy of where the track is located around the world!

When will I start seeing these basic things in DLC form rather than more and more cars? Don't get me wrong, I love these car packs but I want something bigger that will really boaster the game and, baring graphics, give me more reasons not to get GT5.

I was one of the people who did an online survey a couple of years back that caused a stir as it revealed that Forza 3 was in the works before it was made official.

When I think back to that survey and the promise that was hinted at, and to see what the end product became - it's quite sad really. To think that car pack after car pack is churned out with no hint of any forthcoming tracks is really quite sad.

As someone who mainly plays offline on this game, some content that adds some life to it would be much appreciated, instead of the easy route which is just dishing out cars every couple of months. Are people really satisfied to still race on tracks, many of which were in FM2, just with new cars? I don't get the appeal at all.

Trojan X

Banned
Cuban Legend said:
That may not be trolling on purpose, but I'm sure the mods have said to keep GT5 stuff out of FM3 threads and so on and so forth.

This is not a troll. Not one bit. I'm a forza fan and I'm simply saying what I would really love from Forza. It's not my intention to de-rail any thread but rather highlight what is missing from the current game and see if anyone else here feels the same.

Seriously, you cannot be happy with seeing Car-pack after Car-pack from Forza?! It's really tiring... I want to see something bigger and better in DLC form that would REALLY boaster the game and give me (and I'm sure others) more reasons to go crazy for it. Right now, I believe that is simply not happening and I think we all really shouldn't settle for less if we can make a difference in anyway.

Top Bottom