• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

skyfinch

Trojan X said:
I'm getting a little tired of seeing new cars, what I really would like to see are new track and game-changing features. I would..

... love to drive through the full street of New York, Chicago, (not the crummy short time-square track they provided), the cool streets of Shibuya & Shotoku, London and many other places.

... also want dynamic and real-time weather effects that will affect the tracks and give me a reason to turn on my windscreen wipers and headlights.

...I also want my night-time racing which should have been in the game from Day-1.
..want an actual real-time clock that will change the time of day & night in dependancy of where the track is located around the world!

When will I start seeing these basic things in DLC form rather than more and more cars? Don't get me wrong, I love these car packs but I want something bigger that will really boaster the game and, baring graphics, give me more reasons not to get GT5.

The PGR series.......

By the way, G rom's photo settings > everyone else.

Trojan X

Banned
skyfinch said:
The PGR series.......

By the way, G rom's photo settings > everyone else.

Naw. The closest was actually MS:R on the Dreamcast, a project that I was really closely linked to back in the days. I won't go further than that right now. Anyhow, the PGR series was a broken version of the original intended version of MS:R.

I don't believe in quick answers like that. The way I see it, if one game is doing something right in terms of an idea, then you should either adopt and improve it in anyway possible or come up with something entirely original. Right now, FORZA has the best game engine which provides a great driving simulation and fun experience at the same time, which, arguably, is something GT hasn't provided since GT2. So, if the developers can adopt and improve on something that another racing game has done well then they should do it with a smile on their face. Afterall, the people that would really benefit from it is us, the gamers. Who knows, maybe we would see less Car-packs and more Feature packs instead which would be great.

Trojan X said:
Naw. The closest was actually MS:R on the Dreamcast, a project that I was really closely linked to back in the days. I won't go further than that right now. Anyhow, the PGR series was a broken version of the original intended version of MS:R.

I don't believe in quick answers like that. The way I see it, if one game is doing something right in terms of an idea, then you should either adopt and improve it in anyway possible or come up with something entirely original. Right now, FORZA has the best game engine which provides a great driving simulation and fun experience at the same time, which, arguably, is something GT hasn't provided since GT2. So, if the developers can adopt and improve on something that another racing game has done well then they should do it with a smile on their face. Afterall, the people that would really benefit from it is us, the gamers. Who knows, maybe we would see less Car-packs and more Feature packs instead which would be great.
I loved MSR, and I'd love to see everything you mentioned -- but in Forza 4. It's a bit much for DLC, and wouldn't be properly integrated into the game in a way that did justice to the effort required to put it all together.

Dynamic weather would be my next on the list, for proper endurance racing glory.

Trojan X

Banned
Elfforkusu said:
I loved MSR, and I'd love to see everything you mentioned -- but in Forza 4. It's a bit much for DLC, and wouldn't be properly integrated into the game in a way that did justice to the effort required to put it all together.

Dynamic weather would be my next on the list, for proper endurance racing glory.

Ah excellent. Though it's a shame that it cannot be incorporated into FORZA 3 but it would be great if this could be done and more for FORZA 4. Dynamic weather for endurance racing is essential but what would be even greater if that dynamic weather can change during the duration of the race itself. That is better then seeing the same weather condition throughout the race and gives more elements of surprise.

If you would like more more ideas from me or you would like to discuss about some of your ideas for FORZA 4 then let me know. I'll be happy to help.

Trojan X said:
Seriously, you cannot be happy with seeing Car-pack after Car-pack from Forza?! It's really tiring... I want to see something bigger and better in DLC form that would REALLY boaster the game and give me (and I'm sure others) more reasons to go crazy for it.
They're not going to add features like that via DLC... because that's what they'll likely be using to sell you the next game. The best any of us could really expect would be new multiplayer features.

Trojan X

Banned
Psychotext said:
They're not going to add features like that via DLC... because that's what they'll likely be using to sell you the next game. The best any of us could really expect would be new multiplayer features.

That sucks in my opinion. Oh well. It's a pity that I'm not part of the Forza team as I would have pushed for something like that not to happen. Providing the the team do so, it would be interesting to see what kind of DLC they would release that would slightly rain on GTs parade when the time draws near.

Shaneus

Trojan X said:
Go further! I'm all for more MSR love. Don't make me create a new LTTP thread, damnit!

Trojan X said:
It's a pity that I'm not part of the Forza team as I would have pushed for something like that not to happen.
...and I'm sure that the Forza team pushed Microsoft to be allowed anywhere near the timescales that their main competition get, but that's just never going to happen.

There's advantages and disadvantages to all of that of course...

G Rom said:
Yeah, MyForza is really slow and 95% of the time the thumbnails don't even load... :(
Anyway, here are some photos of the DLC that I've taken yesterday and this morning. I also have the photos for a big stitch, I just have to do it (Photoshop makes a complete mess on this one with the automated stitch :lol ) :

Stock C63 :
4793105046_ddc40e2fdb.jpg

are these from the ingame photomode? they are stunning.

PGR is a great game, especially PGR 4 , I love the hell out of that game. It controls just like what a gamer would want an arcadey/sim hybrid racing game to control like. Plus the IQ is absolutely stunning.

Image Quality.

The texturing, Modeling, Shaders, The HDR and motion blur use, The Atmosphere of the tracks, the Multiple Per-Track Weather Conditions, even Night Racing, and all the tiny little details like the way a certain car or BIKE sounds, and the way the rain rolls off the windshield, etc.

Then there's the online, the whole live tournament system. Cat and Mouse, and Bike on Car Racing... nuff said.

Looking at this game now, It has aged the best out of all the racing games from that year that it was released, by a long shot. And I stand by that, it's just too bad the online community is down to a couple hundred regulars...

G Rom

Yep, I agree. I still think PGR4 is one if not THE best looking racing game of this generation. Sure, if you look in details at the cars, it's not close to Forza in-game models but the overall picture is just amazing. As you said they just mastered shaders, lighting, etc...

Just for that I want to punch in the face whoever was responsible at Microsoft for 1) handling PGR4 release, 2) letting Bizarre go to Activision. Imagine what they could have accomplished 3 years later with an exclusive release. :(

And each time I think about Bizarre being let go, I think of DICE which will never do another Rallisport Challenge... :(
The first party strategy (if there's one...) of Microsoft may not suck financially but it sucks game wise.

are these from the ingame photomode? they are stunning.

Thanks. Those are taken straight from the photo mode, uploaded to My Forza, downloaded and reuploaded to Flickr. I didn't photoshoped them in any way.
The resize helps to make the photos look better though but posting full 720p would have been a bit too much and as always compression seen at 720p ruins many shots... :(

Broman1978

Yeah, I would also like some new tracks as DLC aswell as maybe 250 new Achievements?...Maybe it´s enough with new cars for awhile?
-
One new shot I´ve taken...Final Fantasy 13 is currently "hindering" me to play Forza 3 now ^^
Si4Ts.jpg

Broman1978

It would be really nice if Turn 10 could have released an update to make the replays more "exciting"...Or how I should put it..
A bit more shake in some of the angles wouldnt hurt etc..
More Action!!! :D
But I´m probably the only person whining about it =P

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Broman1978 said:
It would be really nice if Turn 10 could have released an update to make the replays more "exciting"...Or how I should put it..
A bit more shake in some of the angles wouldnt hurt etc..
More Action!!! :D
But I´m probably the only person whining about it =P
Have you got the Nurb DLC? Replay cameras there are great... also, Montserrat.

G Rom

Yep, the GP track has pretty much great angle all around, save for some obligatory Floating Forza Cam©. :lol
I wish, we'd get different angle for at least three or four laps though. When you look at a lengthy replay, it's pretty boring to get the same angle each lap. What would be great is to have multiple TV angle for each part of the track. The game could then choose and mix angles to have different replays every time. :D

Anyway, here are some new photos that I took late in the afternoon :

This little Colt really took me by surprise, I'm having a lot of fun with it ! :)
4796888641_a00cdc46d3.jpg

Still half a Bullit !:lol
4796888765_2bec8626d5.jpg

4797517690_60f61a0149.jpg

4796888975_dde01662a5.jpg

And my Evo X which I've completely retuned, love the look of it with the full body kit !:D
4797517970_a19878f09a.jpg

4796888497_cb71d0c793.jpg

Trojan X

Banned
I am glad to see that there are people here that agrees with my opinion in regards to the DLC. I'm also happy to see some MS:R & PGR love... I miss those good times with SEGA and Bizarre Creation. Heh, did you know that MS:R was going to be a gang/crew related type game in a open real-world? I'll stop right there.

Oh, I also agree that excluding the cars, the graphics in PGR4 definitely looks more realistic than FORZA 3. That's amazing for a few years old game.

If any of the FORZA team is looking at this thread then I hope they got the picture now. Basically, if you are going to provide DLC then please do not continue to churn the same old stuff as it gets incredibly tiring. In order to push and make the market go FORZA crazy even months after post release then you need to think and provide a stronger DLC that will affect the features of the game in effort to improve its longevity.

I'd love to see those download numbers for those Forza DLCs. I'd bet that their sales window for each of those DLCs are only hitting 2-4 weeks post launch.

Anyhow. I hope that FORZA 4 will be a killer from a game feature and DLC point of view.

Arucardo

I think Dan said in an interview that it just isn't worth the man-hours it takes to do track dlc, especially if it's real world tracks, unless it's a track that they didn't have time to complete before release.

I'd love to see some numbers for how well the dlc has sold so far, especially the nürburgring dlc.

Broman1978 said:
I´ll be damned!!
You were right! MUCH better angles and a much better replay compared to the rest of the game :D
-

Edit:
A replay From Jube3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k03HJ0Z5u7s
I have yet to buy the DLC track because it has no single player use outside of making your own bot races or testing a single player car out, but damn that replay was 300% better then what all the retail tracks have for replay angles, if those 3 floating forza replay cameras were not in there I would give two thumbs up, but they can have one for now :D

Whatever they changed or whoever they hired/fired, they did the right thing for improving replay cameras.

Trojan X

Banned
Diablohead said:
I have yet to buy the DLC track because it has no single player use outside of making your own bot races or testing a single player car out...

But that is the problem right there, you are assuming that if you download a DLC track then it would have to remain outside the main game and only be played in test form like time-trials. DLC tracks really doesn't have to be operated in that form, depending on the game design, they can be integrated into the main game and be something that would really improve the experience.

It's unfortunate that some developers create amazing games but have DLC as an after-thought. DLC has shown much potential when it is done right... Look at GTA. Oh well.

Trojan X said:
But that is the problem right there, you are assuming that if you download a DLC track then it would have to remain outside the main game and only be played in test form like time-trials. DLC tracks really doesn't have to be operated in that form, depending on the game design, they can be integrated into the main game and be something that would really improve the experience.

It's unfortunate that some developers create amazing games but have DLC as an after-thought. DLC has shown much potential when it is done right... Look at GTA. Oh well.
It would be hard to squeeze the new track into the single player races unless some cups used random courses generated at the start of it's cup or something. In forza 2 the dlc tracks also came with a dedicated arcade mode set of time attacks and an arcade race, short but sweet filler, but forza 3 lacks any of that stuff.

I hope that forza 4 has a more interesting set of cups and less racing snooze fests, random tracks for cups and leagues and I would really love them to add in some PGR-lite features like cone races and overtake races.

Shaneus

If I could get photomode shots as easily as G Rom seems to, I'd play F3 far more often than I already do. I think that having a fairly shit TV doesn't really help :(

G Rom

The best way to get good photos is to practice. You have to learn the photo mode, learn what works and what doesn't, learn what graphical flaws you need to hide to make the photos look good, etc...
That's also why I'm so critical of the graphics sometimes, it's because I know the flaws the game has. When you keep taking photos, you seem to only see those flaws !:lol

It doesn't help that I'm at 600+ photos in the game...:lol

About the DLC and cups. I think that Turn 10 is too focused on traditional racing. I know, we got drag race (meh) and drift but the racing part is always the same.
I think they didn't fully capitalize on the content they had.
They should have done a DTM championship, a NASCAR championship, etc... each with their set of specific rules and with the ability to use liveries bought on the storefront for AI cars.
Then there's Fujimi and Rally Di Positano. Those tracks are awful to race on. They should have used them as proper rally stages instead. Racing against the clock, just like in real rally would have bring variety as it's very different from racing against real opponents.

I think I've also said it here but Forza 4 should add another type of file to the storefront : championships. The best would be to have a pack containing the rules (including cars and tracks used), a nice poster made with the livery editor like the single player championship and the liveries taken from the whole storefront.
This way, we could download a DTM 2009 Championship for example and it would have a set a track predefined, it would make the use of either C Class DTM or A4 DTM obligatory and the AI cars would show up with liveries from the DTM 2009 Championship (obviously different from the livery of the player).
It would work the same for NASCAR, BTCC, Mini Cup, etc...

G Rom

The Evo X is indeed a very nice looking car. I had the chance to see the concept at the Geneva Motorshow in 2007 and it was already looking fabulous. :D
I don't remember seeing one again after it was out on the road, though. While you can commonly spot Imprezas, Lancers are pretty rare in France unfortunately. :(

witness

Over the past two weeks I became completely addicted to this game all over again. Loving every aspect of it all over again and just wrecking the event list with a Viper ACR and GTR. Then I find out that you can change up your viewing angle for the in car view, and holy shit did that make a difference! The in car view looks so much better and more realistic now, I can see more of the interior now than ever before and I was going to buy a points card this weekend to get all the recent DLC that I missed and a VIP membership......then my 360 gets an E74 error. Thanks MS!

Shaneus said:
If I could get photomode shots as easily as G Rom seems to, I'd play F3 far more often than I already do. I think that having a fairly shit TV doesn't really help :(

wouldn't blame the TV too much, on all my displays I've had to dial in seperate settings for Forza (2 and 3)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
A few photos I took today.

If Codemasters made Forza:

4801793671_30822d558e_o.jpg

FXX in the sun:

4802425700_b30acae547_o.jpg

Watch out, dead prostitute in the trunk:

4802425570_05f1542650_o.jpg

Love this little fella, especially with this design I grabbed off the storefront:

4801793217_bbcf8e47d6_o.jpg

4802425280_7e1b14d816_o.jpg

4801793001_44fe8509f4_o.jpg

Just bought this game today and man it is really amazing. The demo didn't do it justice, it's the career mode progression I really like. I'm early on but having to go through a calender and pick events is really neat.

One quick question- is there a way to pick and choose what songs play during races? I don't want anything with lyrics but I couldn't find the option.

Also in career mode, does the game keep track of what events you've done? I'd hate to pick the same one twice by mistake.

DasRaven

I don't think there are any options for the music beyond volume, but custom soundtrack is always an option.

The event calendar is certainly nice, but you always have the option to drive what event you want via the event list. There are certain races that never appear in career I believe (drag, endurance, some lower class world championships).

The events are tracked in the event list whether you do there from there or in calendar mode. In calendar mode, events can and do repeat, but only when there aren't other options possible. And since "new tracks" "new cars" and "new locations" are the option hoppers, you'll rarely see a repeat from my experience.

I've been playing since 10/2009 and never had a repeat event for 9 full seasons except the R1 championship which always repeats as the close to seasons 6 on onward.

G Rom

twinturbo2 said:
Is it okay to talk about a Forza 4 wishlist now? I'm assuming that next month's DLC pack will be the last...

We've been doing wishlists pretty much since the game was out !:lol

There's still the second Jalopnik DLC (fingers crossed for August) and there are still some leaked cars which didn't end up in any DLC yet.

Here are the Forzalopnik cars :

1971 AMC Javelin AMX
1973 BMW 2002 Turbo
1984 BMW M635CSi
1970 Chevrolet El Camino 454 Super Sport
1982 DeLorean DMC-12
1971 De Tomaso Pantera
1986 Dodge Shelby Omni GLHS
1992 Ford Escort RS Cosworth
1987 Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500
1992 GMC Syclone
1982 Lancia 037 Stradale
1990 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.5-16 Evo II
1988 Mitsubishi Starion ESI-R
1977 Saab 99 Turbo
1983 Volvo 242 Group A Homologated

And here are the cars which leaked and are still left with no DLCs :

1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1977 Mazda RX-3SP
2010 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG
1987 Toyota MR2 Supercharged
1988 Toyota ST165 Celica GT4

I think we may have another 2010/2011 car pack and either one big DLC of 15/20 old cars or two smaller one (10 old cars each).
A big car pack of 20 cars containing the Japonik cars and some of the most wanted cars by die-hard fans (think 180SX) would be a very nice way to wrap up the DLC for the game (the german fact sheet was stating one year of DLC) and say thank you to the community.

On a side note, it will be weird when the first month without a DLC come. I'm getting used to going back in the game each months to get and try new cars and do some races. :D

BTW, Achievement Unlocked : Having one of your photo featured in the week in review on FM.net !:D

Mohonky

Getting sick of car packs. New cars yay but seriously I would like some new tracks to drive them on. As it stands I've not buying any more car packs till there are new tracks to drive them, just too sick of the current ones.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
G Rom said:
We've been doing wishlists pretty much since the game was out !:lol

There's still the second Jalopnik DLC (fingers crossed for August) and there are still some leaked cars which didn't end up in any DLC yet.

Here are the Forzalopnik cars :

1971 AMC Javelin AMX
1973 BMW 2002 Turbo
1984 BMW M635CSi
1970 Chevrolet El Camino 454 Super Sport
1982 DeLorean DMC-12
1971 De Tomaso Pantera
1992 GMC Syclone
1982 Lancia 037 Stradale
1977 Saab 99 Turbo

And here are the cars which leaked and are still left with no DLCs :

1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1977 Mazda RX-3SP
2010 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG

I think we may have another 2010/2011 car pack and either one big DLC of 15/20 old cars or two smaller one (10 old cars each).
A big car pack of 20 cars containing the Japonik cars and some of the most wanted cars by die-hard fans (think 180SX) would be a very nice way to wrap up the DLC for the game (the german fact sheet was stating one year of DLC) and say thank you to the community.

On a side note, it will be weird when the first month without a DLC come. I'm getting used to going back in the game each months to get and try new cars and do some races. :D

BTW, Achievement Unlocked : Having one of your photo featured in the week in review on FM.net !:D
I just hope for the Porsche 917, non-whale tail McLaren F1/F1 GTR, 1971 Hemi 'Cuda, 1970 Nova, Koeingsegg CCX/Agera, '57 Chevy, Sauber/Mercedes C12 (the one that won the 1989 24 Hours of LeMans) and the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport.

DasRaven

G Rom said:

I agree with you. I see it like this:

Aug - Forzalopnik 1 - The Favorites:
1970 Chevrolet El Camino 454 Super Sport (free)
1973 BMW 2002 Turbo
1992 GMC Syclone
1982 Lancia 037 Stradale
1982 DeLorean DMC-12
1971 De Tomaso Pantera
1994 Nissan 240sx (suprise, we do listen!)

Sept - Forzalopnik 2 - The Oddballs:
1977 Mazda RX-3SP (free)
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1971 AMC Javelin AMX
1984 BMW M635CSi
1977 Saab 99 Turbo

Oct - FM3 Victory Lap:
2011 Audi RS5 (Free, FM3 Special Leaderboard Edition)
2010 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG (drive the GT5 cover car a month early)
2011 Porsche 918 (only in FM3)
2011 Bugatti Veyron SuperSports (only in FM3)
2010 Lamborghini LP570 Superleggera (highly requested, bookends the VIP pack)
2011 Lexus LFA (No brainer, just for the sound modelling)
2010 Koenigsegg Agera (Because the CCX and CCR are both missing)
2010 Audi R15 TDI Plus (There has to be one R1)
2011 Ferrari 458 Challenge (bookend Hot Holidays)
2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged (5.0L SCV8+facelift)

That would wrap up the DLC nicely IMO. Although I'd still love to see Infineon Raceway because it was rumored at one time and offers a ton of layouts and a drag strip.

G Rom

Your schedule really is appealing but I think it would be a mistake to split the Forzalopnik car pack in two. People are expecting one car pack not two. If you have to fork 800 MS Points to get the whole pool selection, I think it will get Turn 10 some really bad comments from the community.

Speaking of DLC, the DS3 is fun as hell when tuned to be a lightweight E Class car. With a DS3 Racing livery found on the storefront, it's even better !:D

4812998494_5a5f296783.jpg

4812998376_a8db951464.jpg

4812998172_d14fd3309a.jpg

4812373413_b7bbf8ca42.jpg

4812373311_2b117a6c2b.jpg

4812373179_398dac8bfb_b.jpg

And a random shot of the Fiesta (a friend of mine got a white one recently so I went to see how well the overall modeling was :D )

4812997582_ae4e30bded.jpg

Mohonky said:
Getting sick of car packs. New cars yay but seriously I would like some new tracks to drive them on. As it stands I've not buying any more car packs till there are new tracks to drive them, just too sick of the current ones.
How many track packs have there been? Just the one?

Keyser Soze said:

Week of August 2: : Forza 3 Cars And Track Packs

All normally 400 points (save 33%ish I guess)

AutoWeek Car Show Pack, 240 Microsoft Points
Hot Holidays Car Pack, 240 Microsoft Points
Jalopnik Car Pack, 240 Microsoft Points
Nürburgring GP Track Pack, 240 Microsoft Points
The Road & Track Car Pack, 240 Microsoft Points
Thanks to Keyser for posting this in the UK cheap arse thread.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
DasRaven said:
I agree with you. I see it like this:

Aug - Forzalopnik 1 - The Favorites:
1970 Chevrolet El Camino 454 Super Sport (free)
1973 BMW 2002 Turbo
1992 GMC Syclone
1982 Lancia 037 Stradale
1982 DeLorean DMC-12
1971 De Tomaso Pantera
1994 Nissan 240sx (suprise, we do listen!)

Sept - Forzalopnik 2 - The Oddballs:
1977 Mazda RX-3SP (free)
1964 Chevrolet Impala SS
1971 AMC Javelin AMX
1984 BMW M635CSi
1977 Saab 99 Turbo

Oct - FM3 Victory Lap:
2011 Audi RS5 (Free, FM3 Special Leaderboard Edition)
2010 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG (drive the GT5 cover car a month early)
2011 Porsche 918 (only in FM3)
2011 Bugatti Veyron SuperSports (only in FM3)
2010 Lamborghini LP570 Superleggera (highly requested, bookends the VIP pack)
2011 Lexus LFA (No brainer, just for the sound modelling)
2010 Koenigsegg Agera (Because the CCX and CCR are both missing)
2010 Audi R15 TDI Plus (There has to be one R1)
2011 Ferrari 458 Challenge (bookend Hot Holidays)
2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged (5.0L SCV8+facelift)

That would wrap up the DLC nicely IMO. Although I'd still love to see Infineon Raceway because it was rumored at one time and offers a ton of layouts and a drag strip.
One minor quibble: the Porsche 918 is also going to be in Need for Speed Hot Pursuit. Otherwise, this would be nice. :D

DasRaven

G Rom said:
Your schedule really is appealing but I think it would be a mistake to split the Forzalopnik car pack in two. People are expecting one car pack not two. If you have to fork 800 MS Points to get the whole pool selection, I think it will get Turn 10 some really bad comments from the community.

Glad you like it, too bad it'll never happen. I agree that splitting the pack would probably not sit well. So, how about this:
Forzalopnik in Aug [extended to 20 including the Impala, RX-3, MR2, ST165, '99 M5(I'm still salty)]
Infineon D1GP in Sept (Track, 240sx, SC300, S2000CR)
Victory Lap in Oct. (as listed)

***drool*** I really think it'd be a crime to not have the '64 Impala in this game with the Livery editor.

Neuromancer said:
How many track packs have there been? Just the one?

2 so far. Benchmark/Sidewinder & Nurburgring GP.

twinturbo2 said:
One minor quibble: the Porsche 918 is also going to be in Need for Speed Hot Pursuit. Otherwise, this would be nice. :D

Did not know that. I really need to start following that game, thanks.

Top Bottom