• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 |OT|

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
golem said:
Damn my launch Xbox just RRODed on the sweetness that is Forza.

RIP 11/2005 - 10/2009
Similar to when my great grandma died when she was 103. That's a hell of a run.

kampsy said:
I'd like to see an more online modes with class, PI, and drivetrain restrictions.
Che said they're working away at it right now.

I uploaded a replay on my storefront of me having troubles passing a stupid R34 skyline for 2 laps, you know when a car ahead is too annoying to pass without the chance of crashing. Check it out :D

comrade

Diablohead said:
I uploaded a replay on my storefront of me having troubles passing a stupid R34 skyline for 2 laps, you know when a car ahead is too annoying to pass without the chance of crashing. Check it out :D
Is there an easier way to find it? I had to do a search for BMW M3-GTR and luckily your description was easy to spot. :lol

edit: Nice clean race Diablo. You clearly outclassed everyone in there. I especially liked when the R8 spun out and you dodged him by inches.
The Fast and the Furious Green Eclipse flying off the track behind you when he was trying to catch up was funny too.

I'm confused...

Why does the top transmission upgrade drop the speed rating on my 2010 Camaro from 9.2 to 8.2 even when the car still benchmarks just as fast (and faster when tuned)? The other transmission upgrades do not lower the rating. Is it a mistake?

P.S. - This is a GREAT game.

I'm really not that into more realistic racing games (the only racing games I tend to enjoy are far more accessible ones like OutRun/F-Zero/WaveRace/Mario Kart/etc), but I started playing Forza 2 several months ago with friends, and now have Forza 3. I don't enjoy either game enough to invest much time in single-player, but the gameplay is solid enough that I really enjoy playing multiplayer (though I tend to choose a car of a class above my friends in order to be able to compete).

I particularly enjoyed Cat & Mouse in Forza 2 (not a proper game mode, but easily done with friends), but right now, I'm LOVING Forza 3's tag mode (specifically, the mode where you want to become "IT", so everybody is always chasing after one person).

I love just how customisable this game is. You can play seriously if you want to, but if you have a laugh and play some tongue-in-cheek gameplay modes, you're free to do pretty much whatever you want. For example, we played a game of tag in which the aim was to be "IT" for as long as possible, and everybody had piss-poor grip. We played on a massive open circular arena, where you cut cut people off easily, and it was a riot.

Not only am I loving the sillier gameplay modes, but as I already said above, the gameplay is solid enough that even a non-racing fan like myself can enjoy playing it properly.

Considering it's a genre I normally couldn't care less for, I can't say enough good things about the Forza series. Although I expect this to change in the coming month, right now Forza 3 is my GoTY for multiplayer alone.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
UltimateIke said:
I'm confused...

Why does the top transmission upgrade drop the speed rating on my 2010 Camaro from 9.2 to 8.2 even when the car still benchmarks just as fast (and faster when tuned)? The other transmission upgrades do not lower the rating. Is it a mistake?

P.S. - This is a GREAT game.

I don't know about the game, but if you didn't adjust your exhaust and timing you might have problems in real life.

rjcc

anyone else finding the default differential settings for rwd cars too high? maybe I'm just way too heavy on the throttle, but my a class tuned bmw and tvr sagaris were doing nothing but spinning the tires every time I got on the gas till I dropped the diff from 75 to around 55

Just ordered the Rennsport stand for my MS racing wheel. Over/under on how long I cave before ordering the Fanatec wheel is 22 days. Fuck.

Maybe my biggest nitpick of the game:

How can you have RS Watanabe rims and not carry theIr classic 8-spoke wheels?! =P

Other than that, having a blast with it so far =)

Actual nitpick: No hood cam in split-screen mode? Cockpit I can understand, but come on!

Anyway. Gotta buy a 50' long ethernet cable, and I'll be right back in this thing. :lol

Iknos

Just wanted to mention that I've yet to experience any crackling audio despite the first disc loaded onto my hard drive.

But I am getting shadow glitches. The different LOD shadows pop up for opponent cars at random times and sometimes disappear. I've raced against a car that had it's proper high LOD shadow but no default shadow underneath the car's chassis.

Don't know if that will help T10 find the bug...

Whenever I'm away from the game I'm thinking about it constantly. I had this feeling for SF4 earlier this year but this is different because I'm not only talking about racing. I'm thinking about tuning and painting as well.

TTG

I'm starting to think that these cars are a little bit too tame stock. So I get the SL65 Black(600+ hp, 700+ torque) and it's as safe as a kitten in any corner. Honestly, why can't I remedy understeer at any point via the gas pedal? Why doesn't it get a little hairy from time to time, it's not like the assists are on. I have to consciously go on WOT way early or get a wheel on the grass for it to get sideways at all. Well, let's see what happens when I up the hp by another 200 and keep everything else the same.

Ben2749 said:
I'm really not that into more realistic racing games (the only racing games I tend to enjoy are far more accessible ones like OutRun/F-Zero/WaveRace/Mario Kart/etc), but I started playing Forza 2 several months ago with friends, and now have Forza 3. I don't enjoy either game enough to invest much time in single-player, but the gameplay is solid enough that I really enjoy playing multiplayer (though I tend to choose a car of a class above my friends in order to be able to compete).

I particularly enjoyed Cat & Mouse in Forza 2 (not a proper game mode, but easily done with friends), but right now, I'm LOVING Forza 3's tag mode (specifically, the mode where you want to become "IT", so everybody is always chasing after one person).

I love just how customisable this game is. You can play seriously if you want to, but if you have a laugh and play some tongue-in-cheek gameplay modes, you're free to do pretty much whatever you want. For example, we played a game of tag in which the aim was to be "IT" for as long as possible, and everybody had piss-poor grip. We played on a massive open circular arena, where you cut cut people off easily, and it was a riot.

Not only am I loving the sillier gameplay modes, but as I already said above, the gameplay is solid enough that even a non-racing fan like myself can enjoy playing it properly.

Considering it's a genre I normally couldn't care less for, I can't say enough good things about the Forza series. Although I expect this to change in the coming month, right now Forza 3 is my GoTY for multiplayer alone.

Your taste is actually quite similar to mine. The only driving-games I've enjoyed have been Gran Turismos, and now I can't wait for Forza 3 to hit my mailbox ( should be early next week ).

gillty

Banned
McBacon said:
Hey GAF, I'm having some problems with this game. I love driving games, but I'm finding this game fucking annoying.

So I'm using the 360 wheel, I come up to a corner and I push the brake pedal, and now I can't turn corners. Like, I get that you can't drift like fucking Outrun, but you need to push on the gas to make your wheels turn, thats not how cars work? You can totally coast around a corner by riding the clutch and using the brake to slow down. I know there's no clutch on the racing wheel, but whatever.

Tell me what the fucks going wrong, because right now I hate this game.
28rk3d2.gif

Gravijah

I wasn't ever hyped for Forza 3, but all of this reading and watching this thread has put it into MUST OWN territory. I've always been really crappy at sims and haven't been able to break through, but the replay/etc sounds like the perfect thing for me. I know everytime I crashed into a wall on the last lap of Forza 2, I would just lose all will to play.

Brakara

Diablohead said:
I found that odd also, so I avoid that mode all together since it's useless to me.

Yeah, same here. I do private matches against the AI instead, which gives you all the options you need. This as well time trial being hidden on the leaderboards are really weird, considering how good the rest of the menus are.

Iknos

TTG said:
I'm starting to think that these cars are a little bit too tame stock. So I get the SL65 Black(600+ hp, 700+ torque) and it's as safe as a kitten in any corner. Honestly, why can't I remedy understeer at any point via the gas pedal? Why doesn't it get a little hairy from time to time, it's not like the assists are on. I have to consciously go on WOT way early or get a wheel on the grass for it to get sideways at all. Well, let's see what happens when I up the hp by another 200 and keep everything else the same.

I agree you should see that sort of stuff stock when you don't have TCS on. When you upgrade you will notice that you can induce oversteer by flooring it so it's all taken into account in the engine but it seems that you need more torque to do it than you would think.

I also feel that stock suspension is a bit stiff. If you go down a straight and try to purposefully fishtail you can keep it under control fairly well. If you soften the suspension the car rolls more like how you would expect it to and if you try purposefully fishtailing down a straight you will lose control more often. When I watch replays of races where I softened the suspension the overall look of the car seems more realistic to me. The body rolls more like how you expect it to. Sportzhead brought it up about being an issue in FM2 and I think it's still there to some degree in FM3. Just a tad too stiff stock.

alba

Little is the new Big
I can't receive any of my credits online, am I the online one having this? It just loads then nothing :(

Brakara

alba said:
I can't receive any of my credits online, am I the online one having this? It just loads then nothing :(

As I mentioned yesterday, it's glitched. You have to select "Receive credits" over and over again until you get it (normally between 4-8 times).

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Valru said:

Yeah I had like traction control or something on. It now plays better, but I'm done with the game.

Sure you can turn on the assists and make it play like Need for Speed Shift or DIRT, but why would you want to? Those games offer much more exciting and varied experiences, and so with no interest in realism or simulation, I'll stick with more casual games.

alba

Little is the new Big
Brakara said:
As I mentioned yesterday, it's glitched. You have to select "Receive credits" over and over again until you get it (normally between 4-8 times).

Oh alright, lemme try again then.

Magni

So I had the choice between a Z06 and an F40 for the A-class championship. I chose to buy the Z06, since it was at a tenth of the F40's price. I understand why now :lol

I hated Corvettes in FM2, looks like I'll hate 'em again this time ^^

blanky

MagniHarvald said:
So I had the choice between a Z06 and an F40 for the A-class championship. I chose to buy the Z06, since it was at a tenth of the F40's price. I understand why now :lol

I hated Corvettes in FM2, looks like I'll hate 'em again this time ^^

How can you hate on a 'vette! You just need to caress the throttle instead of hammer it, then it's a glorious ride! Love the sound of the V8 and especially the supercharged ZR1!

Milpool

I was running the first TT last night in the Stratos, and the ! icon was permanently next to my current lap, and it stuck each time I crossed the line. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

I wasn't near any walls as I crossed, dead centre of the track.

comrade said:
Is there an easier way to find it? I had to do a search for BMW M3-GTR and luckily your description was easy to spot. :lol

edit: Nice clean race Diablo. You clearly outclassed everyone in there. I especially liked when the R8 spun out and you dodged him by inches.
The Fast and the Furious Green Eclipse flying off the track behind you when he was trying to catch up was funny too.
Thanks, it's quite amazing how most people online go for HP upgrades then tyres and downforce, I was able to out brake nearly everyone, turn in faster and only get bad wheelspin if I rub the grass or rumble strips too hard.

BTW I had the wrong file uploaded last night! watch it again :p

Brodequin

Psychotext said:
So what's the deal with not being able to pick the AI difficulty / number of laps in free play? Seems like a really strange oversight. Stranger still... the devs would actually have to have specifically removed AI difficulty from the standard menu.

I thought this was weird initially as well. Create an online private race with seven AI drivers.

Brakara

Rizob said:
Ah, thanks for that. I can go back to checking the leaderboards after each race then, but will just make sure to leave it on the 'Top Leaders' filter when i exit.

It's easier to switch "X" and "Y" in the wheel settings. That way, "X" looks back and "Y" changes the camera, and it doesn't mess up your camera view by looking at the leaderboards after a race.

Brodequin said:
I thought this was weird initially as well. Create an online private race with seven AI drivers.
Yeah, but obviously you need an internet connection for that. Patch it Turn 10. It's utterly backwards.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Iknos said:
Just wanted to mention that I've yet to experience any crackling audio despite the first disc loaded onto my hard drive.

But I am getting shadow glitches. The different LOD shadows pop up for opponent cars at random times and sometimes disappear. I've raced against a car that had it's proper high LOD shadow but no default shadow underneath the car's chassis.

Don't know if that will help T10 find the bug...

Whenever I'm away from the game I'm thinking about it constantly. I had this feeling for SF4 earlier this year but this is different because I'm not only talking about racing. I'm thinking about tuning and painting as well.

the lack of shadows on ai cars is seriously ugly. i notice it in mirrors and occasionally in front of you. seems that they should have at the lowest lod setting at least a generic drop shadow underneath, and at higher lods put in the real shadow

The same thing that annoyed me in Forza 2 is showing up again now - races that last over ten minutes. Unless I'm playing an F1 game, I don't want to do 6 laps of a Grand Prix circuit. Mainly because I get in the lead within the first lap and after that it's just a case of seeing how much of a lead I can gain.

It's not a flaw of the game so much as it just clashes with my tastes. Give me shorter 3 lap races any day of the week.

On a sidenote, I'm lvl 20 now and realised I've only done a fraction of all the events. Holy fuck this is gonna last a longgg time.

PG2G

Try increasing the difficulty so that its more competitive? But yeah, I'm not a big fan of long races (unless I'm behind and need to catch up!)

h3ro

Finally a game that makes the Nurburgring feel like the bumpy, narrow mess that it is.

:D

Best version of the 'Ring to date!

RSTEIN

So I missed the memo where it said that if you fail to win an auction you still lose the money anyway :/ I finally built up $125,000, placed a bid for an A class car that didn't win... and now I have $45,000 left with no car :(

h3ro

RSTEIN said:
So I missed the memo where it said that if you fail to win an auction you still lose the money anyway :/ I finally built up $125,000, placed a bid for an A class car that didn't win... and now I have $45,000 left with no car :(

wat.

o_0

Jinjo

RSTEIN said:

Go to my auctions, click on the auction you're talking about and go to Receive credits or something along the lines. If you're bidding, have been outbid and decide to bail halfway to go for another car it works the same way to get your credits back.

Spend an hour yesterday in test drive, trying out different tuning options and their effect on the car. I definitely want to get more into that.

Scored some nice race vinyl groups on Storefront so I well be using those to outfit my car. Maybe I'll put a McLaren livery on my Ferrari.:lol

Rizob

Brakara said:
It's easier to switch "X" and "Y" in the wheel settings. That way, "X" looks back and "Y" changes the camera, and it doesn't mess up your camera view by looking at the leaderboards after a race.
Absolute genius! :D

So you guys who have my bmw setup, how does it handle for you? I just made a merc black edition handle the same way but with about 10 more mph down straights and testing it out atm.

PG2G said:
Try increasing the difficulty so that its more competitive? But yeah, I'm not a big fan of long races (unless I'm behind and need to catch up!)
I really can't come first against the AI on hard yet. If I turned some more assists on I could easily, but that would annoy me.

However, after talking shit about long races I just did all 9 minutes of that Japanese track that takes you up through the mountains. Holy fucking shit. Talk about a mesmerising experience - it tops even The Nürburgring for me. Drifting around those corners in my F40 is beyond words.

A lot of the F1 tracks and whatnot are all very similar and done to death in the racing genre, so I hope I stumble upon a few more surprise tracks like it before long. It's so much more interesting that seeing sandtrap after sandtrap.

hgplayer1

Milpool said:
I was running the first TT last night in the Stratos, and the ! icon was permanently next to my current lap, and it stuck each time I crossed the line. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

in the first set of turns on that TT theres some curbs on the left that you can cut over without touching the wall but it will give you a !.

Robin

Milpool said:

Same is happening to me using the Mazda on Laguna Seca. If I make mistake on a lap the icon sticks even after crossing the line and then completing a clean lap. Very frustrating as I have to restart whenever I make a mistake now.

Chrange

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
However, after talking shit about long races I just did all 9 minutes of that Japanese track that takes you up through the mountains. Holy fucking shit. Talk about a mesmerising experience - it tops even The Nürburgring for me. Drifting around those corners in my F40 is beyond words.

My wife tried Fujimi Kaido's downhill in the Land Rover and it was rollover central all the way down the hill :lol

RSTEIN

I sold a design off my storefront but didn't get the entrepreneur achievement. I am missing something?

h3ro said:
I think you have to collect the Credits for it to unlock.
Yep. You might have to select Receive Credits a few times to get it to update. It gives the achievement once it reconciles your account.

Top Bottom