• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

golem

Did anybody else got the VIP gift cars?

I got three gifts from Turn 10 yesterday:

• Audi RS7 Sportback
  • Ferrari F12berlinetta
  • Ford Fiesta ST

The Ferrari is worth 380k credits, the Audi 110k and the Fiesta 24k.

In love with my free Ferrari!
I got my VIP too yesterday. Only level 3 :(

Najaf

What the heck is it with the "AI" in this game?

Every time, and I mean every single time, I break hard into the first corner at the start of a race, cars just crash into the back of me. Then the little triangle exclamation taunts me for the whole race, saying none of these times really count.

I want the drivers to act like drivers, not the people that plague multiplayer playing bumper cars, which is what this game is starting to feel like.

Seanspeed

Banned
I probably won't be able to use this as a moneyspinner then. I'm pretty good, but not that good - more of a top 20% player.
Well Rivals is great for getting better. Keep racing the next ghost in line and learn from them to improve on certain corners and improve your times. You'll be making money all the while, even if its not a ton at first. If you're only top 20%, you've got a lot of room for improvement and getting up into the top 5% or better is hardly out of reach for anybody. I mean, I was mostly always top 1% and still often 1-2 seconds slower than the fastest guys, so its not as if you need to be the fastest guy in the world or anything.

Anyone care to post their pros and cons for FM5 so far?

My opinions:

Pros
- AI (much improved, more competitive, and quite like racing real people)
- Graphics
- New/Redone tracks. Quite an upgrade from Forza 4
- Physics
- Car variety (very little duplicates/near duplicates on the list and quite a good variety from D class up to indy/F1 cars)

Cons
- No marketplace yet, difficult to search and find tunes/paints/etc.
- Missing 2014 Corvette (and could use some additional cars in general)
- Lower track count than Forza 4

Pros:
  • Gameplay itself is probably the best i've ever experienced in a sim-racer.
Cons:
  • Menus seem clunky and intuitive.
  • Can't edit car setup pre-race.
  • Manufacturer rowser is cancerous the way they've set it out although this is evidently due to lack of content.
  • Online setup seems a mess again - all hoppers i see to join are empty.
  • Lack of marketplace.

Other:
  • Content issues and monetisation go without saying, although, the only side of this that has annoyed me is the fact you need to buy the day-1 cars. Credit wise i feel i'm doing fine.

saladine1

I applied a street transmission upgrade to my '69 Camaro and went for a drive. I was in 4th gear and accidentally shifted up instead of down and to my surprise, there was a 5th gear!

Hang on, the Camaro only has a 4 speed. The only time you get a 6 speed in FM5 or previous Forza's is when you upgrade to a racing box. Turns out that you now can install a 5 speed box too if upgrading to a street or sport transmission.

Nice little touch there.

I only wish there were more different upgrades and tuning tools Turn 10...I really do..

CaLe

So I purchased the game with my Xbox One, and I intend to play it as a simulation game. I basically removed all assists and increased the difficulty.

Are there any guides / tutorials that I can read teaching me the basics on how to drive properly ? I'd really like to get better at it, but it's hard teaching yourself something that looks so complicated.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
so, what exactly are the cheevos you can get using the car free play glitch?

Anyone else having issues with the triggers. I'm fully pressing the trigger in forza in some places yet get no acceleration and then it comes in seems like acceleration is being laggy. Is it the game or my controller?

op_ivy

Anyone else having issues with the triggers. I'm fully pressing the trigger in forza in some places yet get no acceleration and then it comes in seems like acceleration is being laggy. Is it the game or my controller?

do you have traction control on?

sub_mart

Neo Member
So I purchased the game with my Xbox One, and I intend to play it as a simulation game. I basically removed all assists and increased the difficulty.

Are there any guides / tutorials that I can read teaching me the basics on how to drive properly ? I'd really like to get better at it, but it's hard teaching yourself something that looks so complicated.

Try this - well written tips for beginners.

I would also suggest that you do not take out all assists at once, especially if you're new to the series. Mastering braking/clutch/gas at the same time could be frustrating.

shandy706

Every time, and I mean every single time, I break hard into the first corner at the start of a race, cars just crash into the back of me. Then the little triangle exclamation taunts me for the whole race, saying none of these times really count.

I want the drivers to act like drivers, not the people that plague multiplayer playing bumper cars, which is what this game is starting to feel like.

Stop slamming on the brakes :p

I've had a great time with the AI...I'd say 90% of the time "crashes" or contact is my fault. There are those moments where the AI drivers make some "mistakes" though. I had a hilarious one yesterday and didn't think to record it.

A Corvette came in too hot on a sharp curve, lost it trying to turn, and spun through the grass and into two cars that were ahead coming out of the turn. I died laughing as I gently hit the apex and left them behind.

op_ivy

Stop slamming on the brakes :p

I've had a great time with the AI...I'd say 90% of the time "crashes" or contact is my fault. There are those moments where the AI drivers make some "mistakes" though. I had a hilarious one yesterday and didn't think to record it.

A Corvette came in too hot on a sharp curve, lost it trying to turn, and spun through the grass and into two cars that were ahead coming out of the turn. I died laughing as I gently hit the apex and left them behind.

while i'd agree the ai is a bit too aggressive, i LOVE that they arent all the same and it definitely doesnt feel scripted like it has in the past. its also important to point out that everyones experience with the ai may be different as we are all pulling different drivatars from the cloud AND that is at least partially influenced by our own driving behaviors.

PG2G

You can try bumping the difficulty up, that cleaned things up a bit for me.

I think part of the problem is most of the career races are only 2 laps so people drive really aggressively initially to break away from the pack.

And then you have people like me, who traditionally keep away from online because they have difficulty adjusting their lines sue to other cars, now infiltrating single player games :p

jms493

Neo Member
I have been playing Forza games since Forza 2. I am mostly an online sim racer who likes to runs leagues. I thought I would share my impressions on the new game for the Xbox One.

Pros
The racing is totally solid and always has been
The Graphics - 60fps and 1080p is great
The Cars - the cars are beautiful
Forza Vista - very cool feature if you are into car pron
The Tracks - all the tracks a very nice looking and seem more accurate
16 cars racing at once - love the traffic
Drivatars and their difficulty levels

Cons
The multiplayer hoppers need to be retuned. Everytime my friend and I try and race we can only find 1 or 2 other drivers if any at all. It says there are 1000's of drivers online but where are they??
You can NOT gift anything anymore. No tunes, no cars, no liverys ect.
You can NOT sell your cars anymore...ugh why???
There is not a discount that I see for upgrading your cars. Last year you could basically upgrade your Audi for free if you raised your affinity level high enough. The appears to be gone. I am a level 9 on my Audi and no discounts.
The lotus F1 car is 8M Credits or 10,000 Tokens.....WTF???
They just really nerfed/changed the economy here. I am racing with no assists and on Pro difficulty (6/7 hardest) and I am making 12-13K per race coming in 1st. You get a boost each level up but it seems to be 31,500 credits each time. it should be increasing each level.

There are 7 drivatar difficulty levels. I have been racing on "Pro" level drivatar difficulty (which is level 6 out of 7) and it has been a decent challenge. I would say the first and 2nd place cars are a bit tough to catch up to but the rest of the pack was pretty easy to pass. I tried 'Unbeatable" and that felt like I was racing real people for sure. This was truly a tough level of difficulty as I came in 8th place in a 3 lap race at Road Atlanta (typically one of my faster tracks). You have to have a solid car and have it tuned to win at this difficulty.

Overall the racing, cars, Forza vista, drivatars and tracks are all fantastic but a lot of what is outside of that is a bit crappy. In all honesty it really seems like they made the ability to earn cash difficult so you would then in turn give them "real money" for tokens. Which in many peoples opinion is complete bullshit.

jms493

Neo Member
For those of you unfamiliar on why you guy free cars and tokes here is the explanation. You must sign in though with your MS passport.

https://rewards.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/

Forza 5 Rewards for November 2013:
Tier 1 no reward
Tier 2 Ford Fiesta ST + 10,000 credits
Tier 3 Audi RS 7 + 20,000 credits + lower tier rewards
Tier 4 Ferrari F1berlinetta + 40,000 credits + lower tier rewards
Tier 5 McLaren P1 + 80,000 credits + lower tier rewards
Tier 6 160,000 credits + lower tier rewards

Thus, a player in Tier 5 would receive the Ford + Audi + Ferrari + McLaren + 150,000 credits for November. Then in December and future months the player would receive that month's new set of rewards. The McLaren P1 reward for November is the model available to all players, not the painted LE DLC version of the car.

Troubleshooting: Some players did not receive gift car messages for November Rewards at launch. Turn 10 is aware of the issue and working on it. If you have not done so in a while, log out of XBL and log back in. Follow @ForzaMotorsport for updates.

Tier Levels:
Tier 1 0-100 points
Tier 2 100-700 points
Tier 3 700-2500 points
Tier 4 2500-4500 points
Tier 5 4500-5500 points
Tier 6 5500-8500 points

Mascot

Is the racing a lot ore competitive across the whole grid now with Drivatar tech? In previous Forzas there would be one or two fast AI cars way out in front with the rest of the cars lumped together way back in the distance. I felt I was only really ever racing two other cars. Is the whole pack competitive now? Do they actually race as pack or do one or two Drivatars still totally dominate?

Klocker

jms493 thanks

It says I am tier 5 but only got the tier 4 rewards....unless I also just crossed over. :(

Edit

And I redeemed credit rewards there evidently I had 250k form f4 and horizon plus 150k for f5 so are those in game credits for car buying?

ICPEE

Here's one from me

Please Download and Like to support the Raudi new car fund - Thanks Gaf! :)

Edit: [Gearbox] B class tune available: search creator = jfiler

11054189616_f6383df3b7_c.jpg
OMG is this real? Some of these Forza 5 pics look rediculous. Thanks for sharing Xbox guys and gals

op_ivy

Is the racing a lot ore competitive across the whole grid now with Drivatar tech? In previous Forzas there would be one or two fast AI cars way out in front with the rest of the cars lumped together way back in the distance. I felt I was only really ever racing two other cars. Is the whole pack competitive now? Do they actually race as pack or do one or two Drivatars still totally dominate?

much more as a pack, though the top 3 usually separate themselves from the rest after a lap or so. but its rare to not be battling to overtake or maintain position - of course this is also do to races only being 2-3 laps... still, much better then past forza games in this respect.

Hawk269

Con's:

1. Lack of tracks
2. Lack of time of day settings. Not talking dynamic lighting, but in the other games, some tracks had alternate time of day settings.

Pro's:
1. Amazing visuals
2. Sound is just sublime. If you have a great sound system, it is incredible
3. Physics are even better than previous games
4. Online 16 player races, with no lag, perfect voice communication is incredible.
5. While lack of tracks is a issue there is a good variety

Con's:

1. Lack of tracks
2. Lack of time of day settings. Not talking dynamic lighting, but in the other games, some tracks had alternate time of day settings.

Pro's:
1. Amazing visuals
2. Sound is just sublime. If you have a great sound system, it is incredible
3. Physics are even better than previous games
4. Online 16 player races, with no lag, perfect voice communication is incredible.
5. While lack of tracks is a issue there is a good variety

I really hope they include some more prebaked lighting for current maps in a future update. That's the type of thing that I might be cheaper for them to implement, and would show some good will to consumers.

jms493

Neo Member
Kind of chuckle at this. AS of now if you wanted to buy every car via tokens.

Total cost in tokens - 171,746 tokens.
$99 will get you 20,000 tokens.
Therefore you need 8.5 packs which is approx. $858

Hawk269

I really hope they include some more prebaked lighting for current maps in a future update. That's the type of thing that I might be cheaper for them to implement, and would show some good will to consumers.

Agree. If the offered Prague, Alps, Spa and one other tracks with a different time of day, it would be great and not make it as sterile. I mean, Alps and Prague just look fantastic in Forza 5, getting a different time of day would just add so much.

I know they were rushed to release, but like you said, this would be something that would not take too much effort to do and it if offered for free would be a nice thing for T10 to do.

Personally, I just want a minimum of 4 more tracks. That would make it a bit less repetitive. Maple Valley, Nurb, Suzuka & Fuji Kaido would be my 4 I want the most.

Anion

So, Forza Tokens = Bitcoins confirmed?

Xanadu

Banned
OMG is this real? Some of these Forza 5 pics look rediculous. Thanks for sharing Xbox guys and gals

can you guys stop this hyperbole IT LOOKS REAL crap, because 99% of the time its obviously a video game, the only shots that have fooled me on first glance are from pcars and even then its very rare

Klocker

Yea, they appear in the overall car list, but you still need to buy it for your own garage with Credits or Tokens.

mine are there but they are not liveried nor can I tell if they have upgrades or is that available once you buy them?

thx

yea also wondering if $20 for VIP is worth the credit boost before I go too far with this... the pack cars don't do much for me

720p signal is better than a 1080i one.

Strictly speaking, 720P would generally be considered the "better" choice; however you must be aware of what the panel's native resolution is. For example, it would be better to run 1080i on a 1080i panel than 720P and vice versa. Even though many TVs “support” resolutions higher than their native resolution, such an option should only be utilized if it must be.

The person you quoted is having trouble selecting resolutions besides 720P because his TV has provided the source with its panel’s native resolution via EDID. For him, 720P IS the best option. You want to avoid scaling on an LCD whenever possible, and even if 1080P was an option for him, his TV would have to scale it down to fit on his panel, throwing away data in the process.

Klocker

that is crazy

I bought two cars in F4 with tokens... think it cost me $5 or $6 each and they were $1-2 million cars

yes I was part of the problem... but $6 is not bad if you really want it NOW... ;) $40 is robbery

For those of you unfamiliar on why you guy free cars and tokes here is the explanation. You must sign in though with your MS passport.

https://rewards.forzamotorsport.net/en-us/

Forza 5 Rewards for November 2013:
Tier 1 no reward
Tier 2 Ford Fiesta ST + 10,000 credits
Tier 3 Audi RS 7 + 20,000 credits + lower tier rewards
Tier 4 Ferrari F1berlinetta + 40,000 credits + lower tier rewards
Tier 5 McLaren P1 + 80,000 credits + lower tier rewards
Tier 6 160,000 credits + lower tier rewards

Thus, a player in Tier 5 would receive the Ford + Audi + Ferrari + McLaren + 150,000 credits for November. Then in December and future months the player would receive that month's new set of rewards. The McLaren P1 reward for November is the model available to all players, not the painted LE DLC version of the car.

Troubleshooting: Some players did not receive gift car messages for November Rewards at launch. Turn 10 is aware of the issue and working on it. If you have not done so in a while, log out of XBL and log back in. Follow @ForzaMotorsport for updates.

Tier Levels:
Tier 1 0-100 points
Tier 2 100-700 points
Tier 3 700-2500 points
Tier 4 2500-4500 points
Tier 5 4500-5500 points
Tier 6 5500-8500 points

I received a message that i received 2 free cars in Forza 5 but i don't see them in my list of owned cars. Do i need to do anything else to receive them?

Pleasantly surprised to discover I am Tier 3. I don't even remember signing up for this.

Top Bottom