• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 |OT| Open wheel, tyre squeal, orange peel, dat next-gen feel

Alright fellas, any interest in doing this? Obviously it wouldn't start until after the holidays. Lets get some names and then we can hammer out times for races. I'm thinking 2 or 3 races per week. We'll use F1 scoring for the points. Each race will feature a car setup with restrictions so we all get equal footing. Winner gets a special prize mailed to them. Hopefully people on this list will be able to join in the fun.

I'm in!

Got a McLaren F1, Agera, and a RUF CTR today. Not a bad haul, if I do say so myself, but the Yellowbird is easily the most fun to drive. It's hilarious when the front end gets light coming out of slow-speed corners as the surge of boost damn nearly lifts the front tires.

Shortly after the 'Ring DLC hits, I'm expecting a notification informing me of the untimely demise of my drivatar, killed while trying to copy those insane Faszination videos.

BIGT468

gafleaguex0sme.jpg

Alright fellas, any interest in doing this? Obviously it wouldn't start until after the holidays. Lets get some names and then we can hammer out times for races. I'm thinking 2 or 3 races per week. We'll use F1 scoring for the points. Each race will feature a car setup with restrictions so we all get equal footing. Winner gets a special prize mailed to them. Hopefully people on this list will be able to join in the fun.

Count me in as well.

LOL, sorry about that. I tend to pass the drivatars sort of aggressively because they can be a pain to get by at times. At least my drivatar isn't crashing everyone off the road, lol

It's just so funny, you've cost me 3rd place a few times with your last second heroics :p

Raudi

Help guys!

TX doesn't appear to want to do anything. Only the guide button registers on the XB1 and under windows it does nothing even though its detected fine and drivers installed? Even clicking the specific force tests under the control panel does nothing?

I posted this on FM.net

Try this as I found I have to do this procedure every time to get my wheel working properly in FM5: (Otherwise I get similar results to what you are reporting)

Remove TX USB cable from XBOX1
Power up XBOX1 to home screen
Connect USB from TX
Launch FM5

I read a possible work around to this is to change the XBOX1 Power up setting from "Instant on" to "Energy Saving" but haven't tried it yet

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
my first attempt at a forza 5 design. someone download and use please. would be nice to earn a buck or two with the shitty new design/vinyl system.

11460661814_91429dc278_o.jpg

Krilekk

Banned
I'd be down, we did this with friends in Forza 4.had a blast. Hopefully I could make most of the races

Don't worry, you only have to win the last race each month. But yeah, people not being able to participate in each race is a major problem for online leagues. So why not only count your five best results for the championship? And a classic shootout in case of ties.

Seanspeed

Banned
disagreed, a lot of people use it to be lazy, just throw yourself into a corner and if it goes bad, rewind and do it again
What do you care how other people used it?

Do you also think traction control and the driving line are bad inclusions?

At least somebody might learn something once they 'throw themselves into the turn' and it doesn't go bad.

Krilekk

Banned
What do you care how other people used it?

Do you also think traction control and the driving line are bad inclusions?

At least somebody might learn something once they 'throw themselves into the turn' and it doesn't go bad.

That lazyness translate into multiplayer races. First corners are a constant nightmare for any capable racer.

I posted this on FM.net

Try this as I found I have to do this procedure every time to get my wheel working properly in FM5: (Otherwise I get similar results to what you are reporting)

Remove TX USB cable from XBOX1
Power up XBOX1 to home screen
Connect USB from TX
Launch FM5

I read a possible work around to this is to change the XBOX1 Power up setting from "Instant on" to "Energy Saving" but haven't tried it yet

Next gen wheels last gen problems. I always loved that if you turned on the 360 with your Fanatec wheel it would unprogram your shifter settings.

Seanspeed

Banned
That lazyness translate into multiplayer races. First corners are a constant nightmare for any capable racer.
Rewind is not the cause of that. That existed before the rewind feature(and in other games like Petran noted).

Rewind will also not get you through the first corner without any problems. You still have to rewind and actually manage your way through it like you want to. It gives you a chance to redo something, not a free pass to drive like an idiot and get away with it.

Rains

Got a McLaren F1, Agera, and a RUF CTR today. Not a bad haul, if I do say so myself, but the Yellowbird is easily the most fun to drive. It's hilarious when the front end gets light coming out of slow-speed corners as the surge of boost damn nearly lifts the front tires.

Shortly after the 'Ring DLC hits, I'm expecting a notification informing me of the untimely demise of my drivatar, killed while trying to copy those insane Faszination videos.
This should be a feature you driver has been killed 7 times today -17000 lol

Mascot

Has the Nordschleife (or any tracks for that matter) been officially confirmed as incoming DLC?

I remember some journo mentioning it few months ago but can't recall seeing anything from Turn 10 confirming or denying.

If so, have any dates been thrown around?

Xanadu

Banned
Rewind is not the cause of that. That existed before the rewind feature(and in other games like Petran noted).

Rewind will also not get you through the first corner without any problems. You still have to rewind and actually manage your way through it like you want to. It gives you a chance to redo something, not a free pass to drive like an idiot and get away with it.

the fact theres no limit on the rewind sucks as it doesnt force the player to actually attempt a good corner, ive seen people play the game who just constantly rewind every corner and its so irritating, you dont learn anything by doing this..learning the hard way is the best way, i remember racing the nurburgring in GT4 so many times till i memorised every section..i bet in this rewind generation i wouldnt be as good a racer if i learned from rewind

Mascot

Wait - rewind can't be turned off in FM5? Is this true?

I can't for the life of me think why this option wasn't included. It was in FM3 and FM4.

I now understand Sal's post about the temptation always being there. That's why I always turned it off (and got more win bonus in the process).

Doesn't having it always available reduce the tension during races, and remove any sense of consequence? I imagine lots of people end up using it despite best intentions not to. It's human nature.

Very weird decision, Dan.

Seanspeed

Banned
the fact theres no limit on the rewind sucks as it doesnt force the player to actually attempt a good corner, ive seen people play the game who just constantly rewind every corner and its so irritating, you dont learn anything by doing this..learning the hard way is the best way, i remember racing the nurburgring in GT4 so many times till i memorised every section..i bet in this rewind generation i wouldnt be as good a racer if i learned from rewind
I still don't understand what you think Rewind does. You do realize that you still have to navigate the corner, right? It does not magically zoom you past a corner or anything. It just gives you multiple opportunities to attempt it. Even if you're not actively trying to, you *will* learn from it.

I also don't get why it irritates you so much. Why are you bothered about how other people this? You say you don't race online, so you don't even have that invalid excuse to throw into the discussion. If people want to use Rewind to alleviate frustration, let them.

Lastly, since it sounds like you don't use rewind, how do you know how good you'd be if you tried to use it as a learning tool? For me, its been pretty damn great for something like finding the perfect braking point nice and quickly. Instead of going around the entire lap just to get back to a certain corner, I can just rewind til I fine tune it exactly where I need it. Bam, done. If I have another problem corner, I can work my way through that as well in the same manner.

jem0208

Wait - rewind can't be turned off in FM5? Is this true?

I can't for the life of me think why this option wasn't included. It was in FM3 and FM4.

I now understand Sal's post about the temptation always being there. That's why I always turned it off (and got more win bonus in the process).

Doesn't having it always available reduce the tension during races, and remove any sense of consequence? I imagine lots of people end up using it despite best intentions not to. It's human nature.

Very weird decision, Dan.

If you use rewind you lose credits. The more you use it, the more you lose. So there's still an incentive to not use it.

LeBoef

i dont know if i am imagining things or this is true. but i'll share my experience.

never had destruction derby like drivatars so far. thought the reason is, that i only race against pro or unbeatable. suddenly they went mad yesterday and i couldnt believe that they went crazy all of a sudden.
after a while i realized that i had deactivated the damage option and was playing on cosmetic, since i was doing some rivals races (i HATE that there is no damage indicator. you miss the fact that your engine is damaged when you hit the wrong gear. havent seen any text messages so far).
turned damage on again and they re racing less aggressive.

i think it was just a coincidence.
but wanted to share it for those people that experience overly aggressive drivatars. even if there is just a slight chance that this helps.

/edit
Wait, what? I think my wife bought me one for Christmas. :/ She saw me looking at it and I dust off my Fanatec wheel and playing with Forza 4 and GT6 the other day so she might have thought I want one. As much as I miss playing with wheel, I really don't want the TX wheel at least not right now. I hope she got me something else but I can't imagine what it is in big Amazon box.

the wheel itself is better than a fanatec gt2/turbo s. even the pedals are better than fanatec stock stuff. of course csp pedals are in another dimension...
the missing clutch and usb cable are a bummer.

but people are already using adaptors for csp pedals.

the possibility to get a better wheel and the option to keep csp pedals, plus a wife that buys such things should make you happy.
you sound a bit like a kid that gets an awesome present and bitches because "i wanted the xbox one with CoD and you gave me BF4"
(no offense)

Mascot

If you use rewind you lose credits. The more you use it, the more you lose. So there's still an incentive to not use it.

But opportunity and temptation are always there. People are weak. And surely races are less tense if you know there is always a get-out-of-jail card that can be played?

saladine1

Yeah, but the loss of credit isn't really that big.

I can see rewind having its place in say something like when you're testing and tuning,practicing(which isn't available weirdly), because it no doubt can be helpful in learning braking points, hitting apexes, driving lines..etc, and indeed learning a new circuit overall.

But when racing in competition..?
I don't know about that one...

Perhaps a limit of 3 rewinds or something if you must have it whilst racing. Flow is certainly hampered by constant rewinding and that sense of white knuckle racing is sort of lost when you don't have to face the consequences of over the top driving, stupidity or even sheer luck, bad or otherwise..

derFeef

But opportunity and temptation are always there. People are weak. And surely races are less tense if you know there is always a get-out-of-jail card that can be played?

Honestly whenever I play I forget about it until I make a horrible mistake.
It's not like "hey let's drive like a fool because I have rewind" because who would do that ... I think that thought is a bit far-fetched.

Xanadu

Banned
I still don't understand what you think Rewind does. You do realize that you still have to navigate the corner, right? It does not magically zoom you past a corner or anything. It just gives you multiple opportunities to attempt it. Even if you're not actively trying to, you *will* learn from it.

I also don't get why it irritates you so much. Why are you bothered about how other people this? You say you don't race online, so you don't even have that invalid excuse to throw into the discussion. If people want to use Rewind to alleviate frustration, let them.

Lastly, since it sounds like you don't use rewind, how do you know how good you'd be if you tried to use it as a learning tool? For me, its been pretty damn great for something like finding the perfect braking point nice and quickly. Instead of going around the entire lap just to get back to a certain corner, I can just rewind til I fine tune it exactly where I need it. Bam, done. If I have another problem corner, I can work my way through that as well in the same manner.
from my experience watching people who use rewind, they dont try for the best line for the corner, they just lunge in and hope for the best, and if it goes badly..repeat. i'm not saying everyone does that but thats my experience, and i did use rewind in forza 3 as it was a new cool feature, but i soon realised it took all challenge and suspense away from the game, it was impossible to lose, so i stopped using it..and racing became more exciting again. i also cant comment on how it would help me as i learned all of the tracks the hard way in games such as GT4 and GTR2 where if you fuck up a corner, go around the circuit and do it again, also helping you to perfect the other corners as you come back around

p3tran

Banned

yeah, but also, unless we are talking about a track that starts with a looong straight, usually you cant even use rewind on the first turns, because it starts to work a bit after the start of race, as it stops working a little before the finish line (so first turn and last turn, usually you cannot rely on rewind, even if you wanted to)

f... it was a new cool feature, but i soon realised it took all challenge and suspense away from the game, it was impossible to lose, so i stopped using it..
there you go. you have a solution to your problem

Mascot

Honestly whenever I play I forget about it until I make a horrible mistake.
It's not like "hey let's drive like a fool because I have rewind" because who would do that ... I think that thought is a bit far-fetched.

Well, I didn't say that people drive without due care and attention because they have the omnipresent crutch of rewind (so I never had the 'far-fetched' thought you somehow attributed to me), but if rewind is always there then surely the simple lack of consequence makes races less exciting, even if the driver is trying as hard as he can to race quickly but carefully? Think of it an an unlimited lives cheat in an old-school platform game where you can try again as many times as you like from close to where you died: there'd be zero tension because the consequence of having to start the level again from scratch does not exist, and 'death' is totally meaningless.

Yeah, but the loss of credit isn't really that big.

I can see rewind having its place in say something like when you're testing and tuning,practicing(which isn't available weirdly), because it no doubt can be helpful in learning braking points, hitting apexes, driving lines..etc, and indeed learning a new circuit overall.

But when racing in competition..?
I don't know about that one...

Using rewind when competing would definitely be odd but it is not a problem. You cannot use rewind when in competition/racing with others. It is disabled. You can only use it when racing solo. Additionally, if used when hot lapping it makes your lap dirty and drops you down the leader board. So in application, it is more or less just something to help you practice or get a do over in single player modes.

Xanadu

Banned
yeah, but also, unless we are talking about a track that starts with a looong straight, usually you cant even use rewind on the first turns, because it starts to work a bit after the start of race, as it stops working a little before the finish line (so first turn and last turn, usually you cannot rely on rewind, even if you wanted to)

there you go. you have a solution to your problem

yes i was saved, but others are still out there!

Seanspeed

Banned
from my experience watching people who use rewind, they dont try for the best line for the corner, they just lunge in and hope for the best, and if it goes badly..repeat. i'm not saying everyone does that but thats my experience, and i did use rewind in forza 3 as it was a new cool feature, but i soon realised it took all challenge and suspense away from the game, it was impossible to lose, so i stopped using it..and racing became more exciting again. i also cant comment on how it would help me as i learned all of the tracks the hard way in games such as GT4 and GTR2 where if you fuck up a corner, go around the circuit and do it again, also helping you to perfect the other corners as you come back around
It sounds like your experience 'watching' people play is probably largely from beginners, press people and videos you see online at trade shows and whatnot.

Even if people are doing that, it still gives them a chance to retry it. And once they get it, there is a good chance that something has been learned there.

I mean, if you're that good, I don't know what you're doing racing AI anyway. You say Forza is so easy, so what sort of tension and challenge is there in the first place? You are full of contradictions.

In terms of learning tracks, there's nothing wrong with just lapping around and learning as you go. That's obviously how I spend the vast majority of my time learning as well, but if you need to fine-tune something, rewind is great for that. I'm not saying to just go through each corner, one after another, learning it that way(even though you *could*), but use it as a tool when you think it might be useful. I have no idea how somebody could be against that.

Yea, its really not some magical 'drive however you want' device that Xanadu is trying to make it out to be.

Personally, if I *really* wanted to give somebody advice on how to learn the best way possible - I would tell them to turn off all driver aids, turn off the driving line and don't waste your time racing against AI. Drive against ghosts in Hotlap modes or race against humans online, cuz this where you can pick up a ton from, seeing how higher level drivers actually do it.

But that's not going to be for everybody. Not everybody wants to put themselves into that more hardcore aspect. Some people are content to never be 'great' at these games too and just want to have fun however they feel like it. This is why options are good. Lets people play the way they want.

Mascot

This is why options are good. Lets people play the way they want.

I totally agree, that's why I find it odd that FM5 won't let people disable rewind if that's what they want to do. It just seems like a very curious decision. Rewind is being semi-forced on people with an ever-present test of willpower. It's almost as if the game is saying "OK, we know you don't necessarily want to use rewind, in fact you might be utterly determined not to use it for whatever reason. But you know what? It's always there just in case, you know, you do decide to use it. Not forcing you to use it, you understand. But it's there if you suddenly decide to go against all your principles".

It's like putting a packet of chocolate biscuits in the kitchen cupboard of a determined dieter, you know, just in case.

eso76

I totally agree, that's why I find it odd that FM5 won't let people disable rewind if that's what they want to do. It just seems like a very curious decision. Rewind is being semi-forced on people with an ever-present test of willpower. It's almost as if the game is saying "OK, we know you don't necessarily want to use rewind, in fact you might be utterly determined not to use it for whatever reason. But you know what? It's always there just in case, you know, you do decide to use it. Not forcing you to use it, you understand. But it's there if you suddenly decide to go against all your principles".

It's like putting a packet of chocolate biscuits in the kitchen cupboard of a determined dieter, you know, just in case.

I guess you could always eradicate that Y button.

Xanadu

Banned
It sounds like your experience 'watching' people play is probably largely from beginners, press people and videos you see online at trade shows and whatnot.

Even if people are doing that, it still gives them a chance to retry it. And once they get it, there is a good chance that something has been learned there.

I mean, if you're that good, I don't know what you're doing racing AI anyway. You say Forza is so easy, so what sort of tension and challenge is there in the first place? You are full of contradictions.

In terms of learning tracks, there's nothing wrong with just lapping around and learning as you go. That's obviously how I spend the vast majority of my time learning as well, but if you need to fine-tune something, rewind is great for that. I'm not saying to just go through each corner, one after another, learning it that way(even though you *could*), but use it as a tool when you think it might be useful. I have no idea how somebody could be against that.

Yea, its really not some magical 'drive however you want' device that Xanadu is trying to make it out to be.

Personally, if I *really* wanted to give somebody advice on how to learn the best way possible - I would tell them to turn off all driver aids, turn off the driving line and don't waste your time racing against AI. Drive against ghosts in Hotlap modes or race against humans online, cuz this where you can pick up a ton from, seeing how higher level drivers actually do it.

But that's not going to be for everybody. Not everybody wants to put themselves into that more hardcore aspect. Some people are content to never be 'great' at these games too and just want to have fun however they feel like it. This is why options are good. Lets people play the way they want.

the challenge isnt from the AI, its from the track, and i didnt say i'm that good, i just know the real world tracks from playing on them so many years, i just feel rewind doesnt belong in a racing sim, sure forza isnt HARDCORE but still, rewind in a sim makes me take the game less seriously

saladine1

$5 DLC for Y button to be disabled incoming...

Seriously though, I'm not saying it should be eradicated. With the Drivatar in place, it's probably needed. I mean, when an opponent suddenly decides to play intentional bumper cars, is it considered 'un-sportsman like' to use rewind in that case?

Anyway, fuck rewind, I need more tracks..

Anion

you dont have to buy cars with real money either, doesnt mean it doesnt have side effects
So your saying the rewind option is making other peoples drivatars unfairly better?

Also, I hope this "issue" isn't blown up. There are more issue like adding more tracks to Tag that need to be raised, rather than the petty temptations of pressing a dang button lol.
I suppose T10 should add a button to remove a button for people who are annoyed though

Redshirt

Banned
I wish we had more control over drivatars.

I follow Major Nelson and Albert (Penello) but don't necessarily want them in all of my races.

eso76

I don't get the argument at all.

You don't *have* to press the rewind button if you don't want to.

At the same time, though, you know it's there, even at subconscious level knowing you can always 'undo' when you screw things, makes you a lot more reckless, makes you pay a lot less attention than you would otherwise.
Trying to get a clean lap on the leaderboard is a completely different experience.

Personally, with AI trying to ram you out of the track on the last corner, i welcome being able to rewind, because i really don't have much time to restart races (yes, what about restart then ? should it be removed too ?).
It does take a lot of the excitement away, and a lot of fun as a consequence, though.
The principle of fun in a game is the risk / reward ratio, and rewind takes most of the risk away. Being able to rewind is a bit like playing an old school shoot em up with infinite lives.

But that's what games have become; games today are not just for people with a lot of spare time on their hands. That's the price we had to pay for games to become a socially acceptable hobby.

Having said that, T10 could just give you the option to disable rewind and get a huge boost in credits for doing so. Such an easy fix.

Seanspeed

Banned

C'mon, testing your willpower is a challenge! Don't you like challenge? Isn't that what this is all about?

I'm joking. I agree.

the challenge isnt from the AI, its from the track, and i didnt say i'm that good, i just know the real world tracks from playing on them so many years, i just feel rewind doesnt belong in a racing sim, sure forza isnt HARDCORE but still, rewind in a sim makes me take the game less seriously
Well if the AI isn't a challenge, then it means you're probably beating them by a fair margin. At which point there's not a lot of tension in the first place because you can make little mistakes here and there, not go as fast as you can, and still win. If we're trying to take the psychological aspects of this into account, then that's how it works. The only thing that taking away rewind does in those cases is........well, nothing. Its not affecting you, is it? There's not even any niggling itch to use rewind because you're already beating the AI easily anyways.

I still think you should get into online racing more man, since you enjoy challenge and the 'sim' side of these games. There's no rewind, there's top flight opponents and you will get much better, much quicker. No offense to anyone here who this applies to, but, I see people spend hundreds of hours 100%'ing the career events and whatnot and yet they aren't even all that quick. If that time had been spent racing online or improving their skills with Rivals or hotlapping against high level ghosts, they would be so much better. There's nothing wrong with spending your time in career mode if that's what you enjoy, just saying, I don't think the track is challenging you nearly as much as you think it is when you have AI as your competition. When you *need* to get quicker to beat faster opponents, you will have to find new lines and learn to be more and more consistent and perfect. Psychologically, racing against AI severely limits the amount the track is actually challenging you.

For what its worth!

Ambient80

Yeah I tested it once just to see how harsh the credit hit was. Best I can tell it's multiplicative. So one time its 1%, two times is 2%, three is 4%, etc. I got it up to maybe 50% in one race.

eso76

Yeah I tested it once just to see how harsh the credit hit was. Best I can tell it's multiplicative. So one time its 1%, two times is 2%, three is 4%, etc. I got it up to maybe 50% in one race.

I must have gotten to 1500% on my first race with the Atom.
I think i actually had to pay money to T10.

And not ingame CRs either, real money through tokens.

Xanadu

Banned
C'mon, testing your willpower is a challenge! Don't you like challenge? Isn't that what this is all about?

I'm joking. I agree.

Well if the AI isn't a challenge, then it means you're probably beating them by a fair margin. At which point there's not a lot of tension in the first place because you can make little mistakes here and there, not go as fast as you can, and still win. If we're trying to take the psychological aspects of this into account, then that's how it works. The only thing that taking away rewind does in those cases is........well, nothing. Its not affecting you, is it? There's not even any niggling itch to use rewind because you're already beating the AI easily anyways.

I still think you should get into online racing more man, since you enjoy challenge and the 'sim' side of these games. There's no rewind, there's top flight opponents and you will get much better, much quicker. No offense to anyone here who this applies to, but, I see people spend hundreds of hours 100%'ing the career events and whatnot and yet they aren't even all that quick. If that time had been spent racing online or improving their skills with Rivals or hotlapping against high level ghosts, they would be so much better. There's nothing wrong with spending your time in career mode if that's what you enjoy, just saying, I don't think the track is challenging you nearly as much as you think it is when you have AI as your competition. When you *need* to get quicker to beat faster opponents, you will have to find new lines and learn to be more and more consistent and perfect. Psychologically, racing against AI severely limits the amount the track is actually challenging you.

For what its worth!

i do race online but not in forza, i still race live for speed and rfactor but i am waiting for assetto corsa online. i REALLY want to play iracing but its too expensive. the reason i dont race online in forza is the fact that i cant use my wheel, and i just dont feel comfortable knowing i'm at a disadvantage, and as i said my history with forza 3 and 4 was a terrible one, as the series got more popular, so did the awful drivers

Top Bottom