• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Four more prisons for gay men have been found in Chechnya

Status
Not open for further replies.

nynt9

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/04/...&tse_id=INF_2beb59a029f511e7ab1b4bd69f1788b7\

Context: "Chechnya’s president: I will eliminate the gay community by the start of Ramadan"

Journalists investigating the abuse of gay men in Chechnya have made a gruesome discovery.
Respected newspaper Novaya Gazeta originally reported that gay men were being held in two concentration camp style prisons in the region.
Reports initially centred on two jails in the villages of Argun and Tsotsi-Yurt.
However journalists from the area now say they have uncovered evidence of a further four prisons, meaning there are at least six prisons in the region holding people because of their sexual orientation.

The newspaper also claims that the men, who face torture in jail, are only released once their families offer bribes to police.
Editors of Russian newspaper have since said they fear that the “entire staff” on the paper are at serious risk after they uncovered the gay purge in Chechnya.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hmm, not saying I don't trust the source but do we have anything else corroborating it?

Because if this is real and happening then it is beyond disgusting and something needs to be done.

Wilsongt

Hmm, not saying I don't trust the source but do we have anything else corroborating it?

Because if this is real and happening then it is beyond disgusting and something needs to be done.

PinkNews is fairly reputable.

Also, this is a fucking humanitarian crisis.

All those people who were like "if I were alive I would've done different" for things like the holocaust and the Armenian genocide have a lot to fuckin think about while this happens during their lifetimes.

This is absolutely abhorrent. Fuck the world.

Got

Banned
Besides sanctions, which seem toothless in the face of an atrocity like this, how would we proceed? I'm genuinely asking?

Got

Banned
Amazing that this gets no discussion here. But I guess the hopelessness of it is what makes it so tough.

One of the only times where Godwin's Law is not just an internet joke, but actually incredibly real. This is crazier than what's going in the Phillipines, which is hard to believe

What sickening behaviour. This shit has it's writing on the wall already. I pray for the international community to put as much pressure as possible on this issue.

Will we ever change as a race? All signs point to no.

I can't even think about what these people are going through, nightmarish..

fauxtrot

Banned
This makes me sick to my stomach... with everything that is happening in the world, I think it's fair to say that humans were a mistake.

Out of just fucking stupid spite to antagonize "American" values.

This is fucking disgusting. Gay people aint your power play objects, Putin.

Where is the UN, ah?

Zero315

Banned
Why is this not getting any attention? Absolutely horrifying.
Like I said in the other thread, the world at large doesn't care. Shit like this was happening in Russia during the Olympics and no one cared. There are quite a few places in the world where being gay carries a death sentence.

They don't care about us.

It's actually in Chechnya, which is like a rogue state and Russia has very little control over it. A rogue state within a rogue state, the Russian doll of rogue states.

uh doesn't Putin appoint the Prime Minister of Chechnya and only Russian citizens are allowed to run for higher office...

and the PM of Chechyna said a few weeks ago that he plans on eliminating gay from the country (whatever that means) by Ramadan (end of May)

G0523

Well, this was only bound to get worse. I wasn't expecting them to have more than one prison for these people. This just absolutely sucks. I'm glad some journalists are trying to get the word out on these concentration camps though. This really does need more coverage.

uh doesn't Putin appoint the Prime Minister of Chechnya and only Russian citizens are allowed to run for higher office...

and the PM of Chechyna said a few weeks ago that he plans on eliminating gay from the country (whatever that means) by Ramadan (end of May)

You're right, I misinterpreted what I read about the state earlier. It's not rogue, just that the Russian government lets it be run as an Islamic theocracy despite it being against Russia's constitution.

Madness

Besides sanctions, which seem toothless in the face of an atrocity like this, how would we proceed? I'm genuinely asking?

Nothing. No one will challenge Russia militarily for gay people being murdered/killed/jailed. Especially a US under Trump. There is almost zero options here.

Their can be more sanctions that aren't toothless, but no one will do them because some gays in Chechnya are being killed. That is the dark nature of the world. If tomorrow this was happening in the US, and the people supported it, who in the world would stop the atrocity or proceed? Imagine now when Putin goes or has to step down again, a strongman like Kadryov would be wildly popular.

Gattsu25

Banned
Horrible. What can be done to formally denounce this as an abuse on human rights? What can international communities do to help?
Possible nuke area?
Get out. Why the fuck would anyone want to kill all these innocent prisoners of persecution? To ruin the surrounding areas for ages due to radiation and doom all the neighboring and downwind communities to increased risks of cancer?

Kinsei

Banned
Horrible. What can be done to formally denounce this as an abuse on human rights? What can international communities do to help?Get out. Why the fuck would anyone want to kill all these innocent prisoners of persecution? To ruin the surrounding areas for ages due to radiation and doom all the neighboring and downwind communities to increased risks of cancer?

International communities won't do a damn thing to help. The most we'll see is a toothless condemnation that says "*Insert country here* does not support discrimination against people based on gender, sexuality, or race."

Let this be a reminder to many of you. I know you won't think on it much. But I think about this kind of thing every day.

This is what it's really like to be a minority in this world.

Your life is worth nothing. To the vast majority of the planet you can commit wanton genocide and nobody will lift a finger. Target the right people.

Being gay is fucking terrifying. Because you never know when some loon that thinks like these supposedly far off people in this supposedly far off place will just pop off and start killing even in your own back yard.

Shits scary, and it's important to remember and think on how little progress we as a species have made.

For all our new devices and services, were still willing to kill each other over absolutely nothing.

Biske

You're right, I misinterpreted what I read about the state earlier. It's not rogue, just that the Russian government lets it be run as an Islamic theocracy despite it being against Russia's constitution.

It not as if Russia wouldn't bomb the fuck out of them like they did in 2 recent wars there.

If Russia wanted Chechnya to stop doing something, you better fucking believe they would make them.

RM8

Being gay is so horrible. If we could actually choose (like a ton of idiots in the world think we do) I bet most of us would be straight, because screw being the target of the irrational hate of the millions of worthless hate-bags out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom