• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Tupac to Rosa Parks: KY county clerk Kim Davis says "Only God can judge me now"

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue5

Banned
And 50 years ago a large part of the population had issues with integration. Just because a large amount of the population is incredibly ignorant, intolerant, and bigoted doesn't mean we should be bending to their will. Their viewpoint is objectively wrong regardless of their beliefs. It's discrimination, and if they want to hide behind the beliefs card, then they can be dealt with through the law.

This isn't the same thing in reverse at all and that you think that is particularly scary.

Yet polygamy is illegal. Discrimination!

akira28

Edit: And to the extent that this becomes a big national thing such that Republican candidates for president are forced to side with Davis, that's terrible for Republican political prospects, which is probably a plus for many of the people happy with the outcome here.

don't underestimate their ability to roll this all into one very tossable boulder of shit. They don't care what the general electorate thinks, they never shoot for the middle, they bend things, they don't run flat. It's like their mutant ability. They will say that they are fighting for fairness and fair representation, etc etc, and will find a very practical way to get what they want, by threatening to kill something else, or by bleeding something else dry, in Congress. Their Presidential candidate's job is to say whatever it takes to get elected, and then do whatever his party wants him to do. It's all fairly simply scripted, because it works, goddamn them. It works.

For someone who wasn't interested in marriage at all, you sure seem to have a lot of opinions about it.

But I agree with blue5. If polygamy or beastiality aren't legal neither should interracial marriage. Err I mean fa- err I mean gay marriage.

Sai-kun

Banned
Yet polygamy is illegal. Discrimination!

You are really awful at actually refuting the points people in here have made. A lot of folks have made genuinely good responses and put effort into responding to you and all you have to offer back is disingenuous and snarky replies.

Dai101

Banned
I'm simply trying to show you that it goes both ways.

8a5oJE4.gif

cntr

Banned
Ethics and morality are worldview dependent. So, its impossible to separate them from each other.

The re-definition of marriage is what people have been opposed to. That definition comes from God himself in the book of Genesis: this is the claim they believe in. That is why they see it as an attack on their faith. Even people who do not hold to this definition of marriage see it as I described.
Oh, you want to talk about the redefinition of marriage?

The Musuo culture of China has "walking marriages" where anybody who expresses interest in each other has sex in secret, and share little responsibilty. Men are expected to take care of the children of their sisters, not their partners. Lineage passes through women.

Vietnamese culture requires a procession from the bride's house to the groom's house, as well as permission from the bride's family.

In India, especially in the older days, most marriages were arranged. If the husband died, the wife was cremated along with him. Children were commonly arranged off to be married, especially for politics. The wife's family is expected to pay the husband's family a "dowry". The married must wear the traditional dress, even if the guests are wearing western suits.

The Ancient Greeks didn't believe in a formal ceremony for marriage, just that the couple should mutually agree to it. Women married in their teens, men in their 20s. Men often kept prepubescent male lovers.

In contrast, the Germanic peoples believed that women and men should be ideally marired in their 20s, at a similar age. This "age similarity" concept still exists in modern Anglophone culture.

Traditional Chinese culture required consulting extensive family trees to ensure there was no incest, no matter how distant, but only on the father's side. Marrying the non-immediate relatives on your mother's side was okay.

Medieval Christianity had no formal marriage system, but simply consisted of mutually agreeing, declaring your intent to marry, and then having sex.

Buddhists consider marriage completely secular, and define no religious rules for it.

The Musuo culture of China has "walking marriages" where anybody who expresses interest in each other has sex in secret, and share little responsibilty. Men are expected to take care of the children of their sisters, not their partners. Lineage passes through women.

Vietnamese culture requires a procession from the bride's house to the groom's house, as well as permission from the bride's family.

In India, especially in the older days, most marriages were arranged. If the husband died, the wife was cremated along with him. Children were commonly arranged off to be married, especially for politics. The wife's family is expected to pay the husband's family a "dowry". The married must wear the traditional dress, even if the guests are wearing western suits.

The Ancient Greeks didn't believe in a formal ceremony for marriage, just that the couple should mutually agree to it. Women married in their teens, men in their 20s. Men often kept prepubescent male lovers.

In contrast, the Germanic peoples believed that women and men should be ideally marired in their 20s, at a similar age. This "age similarity" concept still exists in modern Anglophone culture.

Traditional Chinese culture required consulting extensive family trees to ensure there was no incest, no matter how distant, but only on the father's side. Marrying the non-immediate relatives on your mother's side was okay.

Medieval Christianity had no formal marriage system, but simply consisted of mutually agreeing, declaring your intent to marry, and then having sex.

Buddhists consider marriage completely secular, and define no religious rules for it.

And the question is..would Game Analyst be okay with anyone who identifies with those groups of people to denying a marriage license based on those beliefs you outlined? I doubt it, and he shouldn't be okay with it anyway. Just like he shouldn't be OK with this lady forcing her Christian views on people looking for a license. But here we are..

Based on the viewpoints of blue5 and Game Analyst, I guess they would be okay with me denying a marriage license to people because they weren't of the same caste or weren't arranged by their parents. I really doubt they would be okay with that, and maybe that's one way they can learn to understand why this is so wrong, but I doubt it still..

Brannon

HEY NOW don't be forgetting the most important culture. The DeBeers culture!

Their ancient tradition of two month's salary three month's salary for precious stones is sacrosanct, sir

To be honest game analyst doesn't seem to think that other religions are worth talking about. He has yet to give an answer if he would support Muslim government employees denying services to Christians. That's when you realize that his hypocrisy really isn't worth dealing with because for all his word salad arguments it's really just a way to say that he wants the government to completely bend over for hardcore conservative Christians.

Its pretty frightening how a large percentage of the population believes the same.

rjinaz

That's when you know you've hit rock bottom.

Actually I think it's the opposite. It's when WBC agrees with you it's time for some serious self-reflection. Though it's amusing perhaps that even this group is calling out her hypocrisy.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Why are we even caring what WBC is doing? They hate everyone, even other Christians.

Christine

The WBC's accusations straightforwardly avoid one of the major accusations of hypocrisy thrown at SSM opponents; namely, if you are so concerned about marriage, where's your objection to divorce or other issues that weaken the institution?

Ultimately, however, it is not divorce per se that mandated this change but the fact that marriage was redefined away from a contract in which women were subject to as if they were property to a consensual arrangement between partners who are civic equals.

The WBC's accusations straightforwardly avoid one of the major accusations of hypocrisy thrown at SSM opponents; namely, if you are so concerned about marriage, where's your objection to divorce or other issues that weaken the institution?

Ultimately, however, it is not divorce per se that mandated this change but the fact that marriage was redefined away from a contract in which women were subject to as if they were property to a consensual arrangement between partners who are civic equals.

It's interesting to look at the history of civil marriage in the usa and see just how long it took women to be considered equal partners, distinct from their husbands.

Interesting , and a bit sad.

I'd argue that that change was the biggest redefinition of marriage we've had yet. Going from chattel to equal is far larger then making the union gender neutral in terms of access.

rjinaz

Polygamy is not illegal. You cant currently marry multiple people. Logistical problem but not an unsolvable one.

Perhaps even more solvable today. A man wants to marry 3 women. Marry one woman, let the other two women marry each other. 2 marriages between 4 people I suppose is a current compromise. Not a solution I suppose if it's a religious marriage.

rjinaz

200 people. That's a surprisingly low amount of support. Here is this poor Christian woman being prosecuted for her beliefs. You would think the number would be in the thousands considering how many Christians are up in arms about how America is out for them. This should be their rallying point. Prayers, fasting, famous preachers, the like. Makes you wonder just how much they really care. I guess it's still early. We'll see if this picks up traction.

Fuckabee plans to visit her in jail. What an opportunistic cunt he is.

Hey now! Not-President Mike Huckabee is just trying to be the best never-will-be-President he can be for the American people. We all owe a debt of gratitude to intellectually-disqualified-from-being-President Huckabee.

Why are we even caring what WBC is doing? They hate everyone, even other Christians.

It's sad, too, because investigative reporters have said that the patrons of WBC are good people, just incredibly uneducated.

WBC and Fred Phelps are seriously just a modern version of a scam artist Revival Tent.

It's sad, too, because investigative reporters have said that the patrons of WBC are good people, just incredibly uneducated.

WBC and Fred Phelps are seriously just a modern version of a scam artist Revival Tent.

I've long wondered how many "true believers" there are in the WBC.

SURGEdude

Can the judge block people from visiting her (other than her family and lawyer)? That would be amazing.

No. I would imagine that would be a violation of her rights. And I'm fully aware of the irony in protecting her rights when she wants to strip others of theirs. But it's an example of being the better person/people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom