• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Tupac to Rosa Parks: KY county clerk Kim Davis says "Only God can judge me now"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinaz

why hasn't jesus freed her yet?

Don't you know? The good lord only gives us what we can handle. She obviously can handle her time in jail.

Closing schools for the day seems a bit crazy but maybe there will be a big turnout, simply because it's not everyday a presidential candidate visits a place that isn't a large city.

RPGCrazied

What are the chances she gets out, goes back to work, and continues to deny licenses? I really hope the judge stands firm with his ruling.

Armaros

What are the chances she gets out, goes back to work, and continues to deny licenses? I really hope the judge stands firm with his ruling.

She is not getting out of jail until the contempt of court charge is removed and only the Judge can do that.

And the judge will only do that when she agrees to do her job in full, if she doesn't, it's back to jail for contempt. Basiclly unless her lawyers can change the laws so public servants don't have to obey rulings set by the Supreme and other Courts, she has nothing.

Her appeals have been denied all the way to the top.

She is not getting out of jail until the contempt of court charge is removed and only the udge can do that.

And the judge will only do that when she agrees to do her job in full, if she doesn't, it's back to jail for contempt. Basiclly unless her lawyers can change the laws so public servants don't have to obey rulings set by the Supreme and other Courts, she has nothing.

Her appeals have been denied all the way to the top.

The other option is that they change the local laws to remove that power from her position.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The other option is that they change the local laws to remove that power from her position.
Her power is to validate paperwork and provide a signature on behalf of the government. The government is a non personal, non physical entity. It can't look over paperwork or sign documents on its own. It needs actors to do that.

That's her position. That's her role. Her signature is not her endorsement, but the state's.

She's an idiot

Edit: and the signature is preprinted so she isn't even personally signing off on the documents. The judge even offered to allow her deputies to issue the certificates. She refused

AndyD

aka andydumi
Basically she has to let her office validate the licenses aka do her job. Which is what she was refusing to do earlier.

Pretty much. This is the option she was offered before she went in, and refused it, was jailed, then it was imposed without her. Now she is being released as long as she does not interfere with it.

Ecotic

Bad decision by the judge, she hasn't changed. I guess he's hoping all the county's gay couples have already gotten their licenses.

Arkeband

Banned
At first I was annoyed that she was being released, but at some point it's pointless since she's obviously so crazy that she sees her time in jail as obeying her God who is so much more powerful and important than our judicial system, so this could go on indefinitely. It also deflates Huckabee's attempt at cashing in on it, if only by a little bit.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Bad decision by the judge, she hasn't changed. I guess he's hoping all the county's gay couples have already gotten their licenses.

Contempt is a very weird thing.

- It's the only sentence where the offender can instantly get themselves released.

- They are held forever until they do what the court is forcing them to do, because the only reason they are being punished is to force compliance with the order.

- If they are never going to do what the court is forcing them to do, they are released instantly, because the punishment isn't working. (For example: court order for a journalist to divulge his/her source, makes it clear they will never divulge his/her source)

- If them being in jail makes it possible to implement the court order without them, they will be released, even if they could have avoided jail just by letting the thing happen before they went to jail

That was the shortest jail sentence for a religious martyr ever. She could have probably held off on taking a public shit and just waited to go home.

She should have been ordered to comply not to sit on the sidelines.

She is now free to discriminate and all her bible thumping ilk who are protesting outside the court will think they have won.

Paskil

Dang, Ted Cruz. Looks like you should have hurried up and visited while she was still in the clink. How you going to cozy up to those far right social conservatives now? Huckster just put you on notice.

rjinaz

She is now free to discriminate and all her bible thumping ilk who are protesting outside the court will think they have won.

She's stuck being a close-minded bigot likely the rest of her days and gay couples now get to marry. They can think they won or that it was the lord working in mysterious ways. We know better.

Lemonz

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/local/2015/09/08/kim-davis-released-jail/71881098/
U.S. District Judge David Bunning Monday ordered the Rowan County clerk freed from jail on contempt, saying he was satisfied her deputies have complied with his order to issue marriage licenses to same-sex and straight couples.

He had jailed her Thursday for refusing to comply.

In a two-page order, he ordered the U.S. Marshal Service to her release on the condition that she shall not “interfere in any way, directly or indirectly, with the efforts of her deputy clerks to issue marriage licenses to all legally eligible couples.:

If she does, Bunning said, “appropriate sanctions” will be considered.

He ordered court-appointed lawyers for the deputies to report every 14 days on their compliance.

ido

I'm glad licenses will now be issued, but it's still quite frustrating.

Her punishment now will be to collect $80K a year and refuse to do her job.

Paskil

I'm glad licenses will now be issued, but it's still quite frustrating.

Her punishment now will be to collect $80K a year and refuse to do her job.

This might not be technically true, though. If the deputy clerks already stamp her name, then she is delegating, just like she already probably does with licenses.

gcubed

i approve.

I think its glorious that licenses are still going out with her name on it, she must have a tinge of pain when she thinks how hot the flames are going to be in hell since she is marrying gays.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
She took a stand for 3 days then pussed out. Some martyr! Everyone better get them GoFundMe dollars back. I don't want no gay marrier in MY heaven!

lol

ido

This might not be technically true, though. If the deputy clerks already stamp her name, then she is delegating, just like she already probably does with licenses.

It's a strange precedent, for sure.

I didn't even think that they would be stamping her name on the licenses, so that makes more sense.

We'll see what happens!

Cyan

Banned

She wasn't jailed for bigotry, she was jailed for refusing to comply with a court order. As long as she complies with the law and allows gay couples to get marriage licenses, who cares how much of a jerk she is?

I mean sure, it would be nice if people weren't jerks, but throwing jerks in jail isn't really a realistic option.

uW743KV.png

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
What does her job entail besides issuing marriage licenses?

Well, one of the things it entails is certifying the marriage after it has been officiated. And since that is not expressly referenced in the court order, there is room for some playtime here yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom