• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen Synapse |OT| The Thinking Man's Shooter

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
For the new page:

Are there more interested in a small tournament? Add yourself to the list then.

1. Toma
2. NIN90
3. Sectus
4. Moobs
5. Drkirby
6. snoopeasystreet
7. archnemesis
8. OldGamer
9. n0b

Anyone willing to participate? We'll talk about time tables later when we know how many will participate, but I'd suggest Insta Win for someone waiting 3 days for a match, and not more than 1 day time for each turn?

Moobabe

ToyBroker said:
Computer keeps kicking the shit out of me..it's like their aim is better than mine.

Their snipers shoot first and everything :(

The rocket launchers are stupid too.

Game should be purely tactical with assault rifles, snipers, and light machine gunners only.

Rockets add a whole new LAYER of tactics! Destroying cover, forcing opponents in certain directions, allowing your troops passage through different parts of the map - even faking it to make your opponent think you're heading in different ways.

NIN90

ToyBroker said:
Computer keeps kicking the shit out of me..it's like their aim is better than mine.

Their snipers shoot first and everything :(

The rocket launchers are stupid too.

Game should be purely tactical with assault rifles, snipers, and light machine gunners only.

The more I play this game the more I understand that RPGs are actually pretty balanced.
You can deny rocket kills by staying in the open (since the rockets need to hit walls to detonate) but that makes you vulnerable against MGs and snipers.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
NIN90 said:
The more I play this game the more I understand that RPGs are actually pretty balanced.
You can deny rocket kills by staying in the open (since the rockets need to hit walls to detonate) but that makes you vulnerable against MGs and snipers.

Yup, and the ability to deform a level on the go is pretty awesome as well. Even though its a bit... hefty with 2 RPG on each side ^^' There wasnt much left of the level layout at the end of my last match :-x

KPJZKC

Toma said:
For the new page:

1. Toma
2. NIN90
3. Sectus
4. Moobs
5. Drkirby
6. snoopeasystreet
7. archnemesis
8. OldGamer
9. n0b
10. KZaph

Anyone willing to participate? We'll talk about time tables later when we know how many will participate, but I'd suggest Insta Win for someone waiting 3 days for a match, and not more than 1 day time for each turn?

Bang me in so!

Toma

Moobabe said:
Unfortunately not - but you should just jump in anyway. TRUST us.

True. If you remotely like what you see in the various youtube vids, those 10 bucks are a good investment.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm not sure if I'd like it though. I absolutely HATE RTS and prefer FPS, Turn-based Strat like Civilization.

Toma

TheSeks said:
I'm not sure if I'd like it though. I absolutely HATE RTS and prefer FPS, Turn-based Strat like Civilization.

Its not an RTS, though. More like a mixture between Fallout Tactics and Chess, where both players take turns at the same time.

Edit: Can anyone tell me how to create a single player skirmish that isnt Extermination? I must be blind, cant find the button.

Unicorn said:
I'm stuck on "Requesting new account..."

wat do?

Send 'em an email OR jump into the IRC chat from the FS website. They'll help you out if this persists.

Going to update the OP with names, etc., soon. Keep that turn-based bloodbath a'happening.

Unicorn

Pylon_Trooper said:
Send 'em an email OR jump into the IRC chat from the FS website. They'll help you out if this persists.

Going to update the OP with names, etc., soon. Keep that turn-based bloodbath a'happening.
It froze, then I closed out and did it again.

I didn't put in a code or w/e and it said it was invalid or in use. Do I need to use the same code as the person with the other copy or what?

This game is awesome, finally won a match!

Figured out you could duck, then rocket the low cover.

If you duck behind low cover, you can't shoot over it, right?

//edit//

Thanks Toma.

//off topic//

wtf is Xfire? Our Neogaf profiles should have a 'Steam Username' category...

Toma

blazinglazers said:
This game is awesome, finally won a match!

Figured out you could duck, then rocket the low cover.

If you duck behind low cover, you can't shoot over it, right?

Right.

Daigoro

I was about to join the tourney when my pc fucking crashedfor the 10th time this week. Can't even boot up at the moment. Sometimes I really don't like pc gaming. It can be such a headache.

The campaign is pretty varied so far, I'm only on the 6th or 7th mission so far. A bit disappointed in the technical quality of the game as I had to do some tinkering to get it working to start with, but this game is a lot of fun.

Probably going to jump into the MP later today and get my ass kicked a couple of times. My weakness in life is looking at something and going "yeah this will work" without fully considering all possible outcomes so I imagine this game will be hard to adjust to.

Moobabe

Man I cannot get into any games tonight - I'll give it a couple of days before I try again I think. Sorry for those of you who've challenged me - a combination of my shit internet and the bad servers is ruining my fun!!

Toma

This is the first game in a loooong time that I prefer playing mp all the time. The only other one is Chess actually. God, is this game amazing.

Toma

Okay I am out for tonight. Last call:

1. Toma
2. NIN90
3. Sectus
4. Moobs
5. Drkirby
6. snoopeasystreet
7. archnemesis
8. OldGamer
9. n0b
10. KZaph

When I get up tomorrow (In 8-10 hours), I'll prepare the tournament table
. So get ready for tomorrow guys ;)

Moobabe

Daigoro said:
I was about to join the tourney when my pc fucking crashedfor the 10th time this week. Can't even boot up at the moment. Sometimes I really don't like pc gaming. It can be such a headache.

That sucks :S Have you made any changes recently? Drivers or hardware? My pc had some serious issues when I installed the motionjoy stuff

InertiaXr

Anybody have an extra copy or looking to get one? I can buy or you can, either way. Steam: InertiaXr

Toma talked me into it.

Toma

InertiaXr said:
Anybody have an extra copy or looking to get one? I can buy or you can, either way. Steam: InertiaXr

Toma talked me into it.

>_>

Good thing no one is keeping track of how much I cost GAF already.

First mission in the campaign and I'm hooked. It's brilliant.

Hopefully they get the server issues fixed soon so I can log in though. :p

For the guys who've managed to log in and have FS names, can you double-check the names in the OP for erroneous entry? I've lost track of who belongs to who in terms of name.

Anyone else getting minute-long hangs after a match (i.e. loss)? Frozen Synapse keeps freezing up, then coming back to life. I'm figuring it's the servers, but it's annoying.

I think I'm 1-5 now... but that one win was glorious.

blazinglazers said:
Anyone else getting minute-long hangs after a match (i.e. loss)? Frozen Synapse keeps freezing up, then coming back to life. I'm figuring it's the servers, but it's annoying.

I think I'm 1-5 now... but that one win was glorious.

Bear with the hanging, the server speed will be fixed. They're working hard on it!

Pylon_Trooper said:
Bear with the hanging, the server speed will be fixed. They're working hard on it!
No doubt, figured as much. Game is great, it's already got me hooked!

I guess it's single-player time for a bit.

Toma said:
Okay I am out for tonight. Last call:

1. Toma
2. NIN90
3. Sectus
4. Moobs
5. Drkirby
6. snoopeasystreet
7. archnemesis
8. OldGamer
9. n0b
10. KZaph
11. SteveWinwood/Hasmedaoa
12. KPJZKC

When I get up tomorrow (In 8-10 hours), I'll prepare the tournament table
. So get ready for tomorrow guys ;)
I'll play!
My name is Hasmedaoa in the game.
EDIT: I added KPJZKC in case you missed him.

Nabs

Toma said:
For the new page:

1. Toma
2. NIN90
3. Sectus
4. Moobs
5. Drkirby
6. snoopeasystreet
7. archnemesis
8. OldGamer
9. n0b
10. KZaph
11. SteveWinwood/Hasmedaoa
12. KPJZKC
13. Nabs

I'm still pretty bad, but I'm willing to give it a go.

About the tournament:
in case of draw, to assign the point the two players should have a match with a mode that has a winner and a loser, like Charge.

snoopeasystreet said:
It should just be dark extermination matches. Keeps it simple. Keeps it fair.
And when you draw? Who takes the point? You do a rematch? And if it's another draw?
Ok, I'm overthinking this, but the possibility still exists.

Unicorn

I still can't login or register (do I need to register if I'm the gift-ee?) but I'd be interested in joining the tournament.

Versipellis said:
And when you draw? Who takes the point? You do a rematch? And if it's another draw?
Ok, I'm overthinking this, but the possibility still exists.
I've never seen a draw. Just thought it defaulted to whoever killed the other guy first.

snoopeasystreet said:
I've never seen a draw. Just thought it defaulted to whoever killed the other guy first.

Yeah, draws occur. I like the charge idea, but the best of three in Dark Ext. usually does the trick.

Daigoro

swapped out my video card for an old one. so far so good.
Edit: its not the card then. Crashed hard again. Fuuuck.

my first online match just ended in a draw. damn.

Top Bottom