• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT14| The 6 God is Five Writers, And One False Idol

Status
Not open for further replies.

illadelph

Album of the Year

mixtape-audio-push-the-good-vibe-tribe-499x500.jpg

Audio Push - The Good Vibe Tribe ; 4 points
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly ; 3 points
Dr. Dre - Compton ; 3 points
Big Sean - Dark Sky Paradise ; 2 points
The Game - The Documentary 2/2.5 ; 2 points
Vince Staples - Summertime '06 ; 2 points
Drake - If You're Reading This It's Too Late ; 1 point
Donnie Trumpet & the Social Experiment - Surf ; 1 point
Future - Dirty Sprite 2 ; 1 point
Logic - The Incredible True Story ; 1 point

Song of the Year

T-Pain - Sun Goes Down (ft. Audio Push) ; 4 points
The Game - 100 (ft. Drake) ; 3 points
Big Sean - I Don't Fuck With You (ft. E-40) ; 3 points
Dr. Dre - Animals (ft. Anderson .Paak) ; 2 points
The Game - Documentary 2 ; 2 points
Audio Push - Bonfire (ft. G-Eazy & Hit Boy) ; 2 points
Vince Staples - Lift Me Up ; 1 point
Drake - Star67 ; 1 point
Dr. Dre - For the Love of Money (ft. Jill Scott, Jon Connor & Anderson .Paak) ; 1 point
Mac Miller - 100 Grandkids ; 1 point

Artist/Group of the Year - Future
Producer of the Year - Metro Boomin
Rookie of the Year - Raz Fresco
Feature Killer of the Year - Drake
"L" of the Year - Meek MiLL
Biggest Disappointment - Meek/Drake battle
Intro of the Year (Bonus) - Lift Me Up

I have a song I need identifying! I swear one of the lines was "I'm a positive guy for those who listen", and the rapper said something about celebrating their education not their ass. Sounded kind of 90's with a nice jazz track playing underneath, but I think the song mentioned the occupy movement. And it was on the german radio so I wasn't sure what the DJ was saying but sounded like it could have been an Ab Soul song. Any ideas?

Also I just found this thread today! Cool stuff.

Koozek

I have a song I need identifying! I swear one of the lines was "I'm a positive guy for those who listen", and the rapper said something about celebrating their education not their ass. Sounded kind of 90's with a nice jazz track playing underneath, but I think the song mentioned the occupy movement. And it was on the german radio so I wasn't sure what the DJ was saying but sounded like it could have been an Ab Soul song. Any ideas?

Also I just found this thread today! Cool stuff.

Welcome, b! I hope you like talking about long dicks.
Go and answer the question in the OP if you got the time! Can't help you with the song you're looking for, sorry.

Oh and I thought this is worth a double post. Should be fun:

I only started listening to hip hop 3 years ago when my roommate introduced me to some of the artists that weren't dumb party rap that I grew up hating.

Musical Tastes

1. Pick a Coast to rep (Chiraq or Atlantistan) - Not sure yet, but at the moment I am going West Coast
2. What’s your favorite subgenre of rap? (Conscious/Backpack, Trap/Drill, Mafioso, WC Gangsta, Swag, Weed, Hyphy, Club, etc) - Concious/90s/Jazzy
3. Favorite Artists (Pick Five) - Tyler, The Creator, Common, Kendrick, Kanye, Tribe Called Quest/Gorillaz if that counts
4. Favorite Artists Outside of Hip-Hop (Pick Five) - The Strokes, LCD Soundsystem, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Beck, Weezer
5. What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? What’s your current hip-hop AOTY? RTJ2, TPAB
6. What are you listening to right now? - Nothing yet, about to do my annual end of the year catch up. Probably will be Thundercat or Kamashi Washington next.
7. What’s something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? What’s something you haven’t listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for? I guess technically Tyler, but I don't think that should be that guilty. I would get shit for not knowing really anything from Biggie or Pac yet.
8. Rank a Random Rapper’s Discography (Pick Someone With > 3 Albums)
Late Registration>MDBTF>Yeezus>College Dropout>Graduation>808's
GAF-Hop Discusses

1. What do you like about the current state of hip-hop? What’s missing from the game? Will return to this
2. Who’s Your Favorite Wu-Tang Member? No idea. Whoops
3. Jay-Z or Nas? Biggie or Pac? Young Thug or OG Maco? Nas, Biggie, Neither
4. What Hip-Hop Album Are You Currently Anticipating? Frank Ocean
5. Who is the Most Underrated Emcee? Who is the Most Overrated? idk
6. Would You Rather Eat An Ass or Have Your Ass Eaten? I guess eat Ass
7. Onions, Avocados, Both, or Neither? Onions baby
8. Do you still listen to Eminem? Why? Never really did. Will revisit
9. Who’s your favorite pop artist? And who’s the finest? Lord or Lana
10. Recall a personal event that went down about a week ago... Wish I could but im in germany and I have to leave for dinner

Koozek

Oh and I thought this is worth a double post. Should be fun:

I only started listening to hip hop 3 years ago when my roommate introduced me to some of the artists that weren't dumb party rap that I grew up hating.

Musical Tastes

1. Pick a Coast to rep (Chiraq or Atlantistan) - Not sure yet, but at the moment I am going West Coast
2. What’s your favorite subgenre of rap? (Conscious/Backpack, Trap/Drill, Mafioso, WC Gangsta, Swag, Weed, Hyphy, Club, etc) - Concious/90s/Jazzy
3. Favorite Artists (Pick Five) - Tyler, The Creator, Common, Kendrick, Kanye, Tribe Called Quest/Gorillaz if that counts
4. Favorite Artists Outside of Hip-Hop (Pick Five) - The Strokes, LCD Soundsystem, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Beck, Weezer
5. What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? What’s your current hip-hop AOTY? RTJ2, TPAB
6. What are you listening to right now? - Nothing yet, about to do my annual end of the year catch up. Probably will be Thundercat or Kamashi Washington next.
7. What’s something you like that you might consider a guilty pleasure? What’s something you haven’t listened to that you think a hip-hop aficionado might give you shit for? I guess technically Tyler, but I don't think that should be that guilty. I would get shit for not knowing really anything from Biggie or Pac yet.
8. Rank a Random Rapper’s Discography (Pick Someone With > 3 Albums)
Late Registration>MDBTF>Yeezus>College Dropout>Graduation>808's
GAF-Hop Discusses

1. What do you like about the current state of hip-hop? What’s missing from the game? Will return to this
2. Who’s Your Favorite Wu-Tang Member? No idea. Whoops
3. Jay-Z or Nas? Biggie or Pac? Young Thug or OG Maco? Nas, Biggie, Neither
4. What Hip-Hop Album Are You Currently Anticipating? Frank Ocean
5. Who is the Most Underrated Emcee? Who is the Most Overrated? idk
6. Would You Rather Eat An Ass or Have Your Ass Eaten? I guess eat Ass
7. Onions, Avocados, Both, or Neither? Onions baby
8. Do you still listen to Eminem? Why? Never really did. Will revisit
9. Who’s your favorite pop artist? And who’s the finest? Lord or Lana
10. Recall a personal event that went down about a week ago... Wish I could but im in germany and I have to leave for dinner

Interesting to hear an "outsider's" perspective. Make sure to check out OutKast and Dilla/Slum Village if you haven't already. Our Top 10 AOTY lists on the last few pages could be helpful, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9F5_jKV3Sg

https://soundcloud.com/mrlrap/slum-village-fall-in-love

And you will mostly hear trap-y stuff in this thread these days, btw, so be open and shake off your dustiness a bit :p
DS2 OUT IN STORES NOW

EDIT: Ach, und 'nen Guten wünsch ich!

Ninja Dom

I listened to the Timbaland mixtape.
giphy.gif

Timbaland's beats aren't particularly memorable. It's okay. A couple of nice features. Rich Homie Quan song is my best song on there so far. Thugger got a song on there too.

Interesting to hear an "outsider's" perspective. Make sure to check out OutKast and Dilla/Slum Village if you haven't already. Our Top 10 AOTY lists on the last few pages could be helpful, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9F5_jKV3Sg

https://soundcloud.com/mrlrap/slum-village-fall-in-love

And you will mostly hear trap-y stuff in this thread these days, btw, so be open and shake off your dustiness a bit :p
DS2 OUT IN STORES NOW

EDIT: Ach, und 'nen Guten wünsch ich!

Haha thanks! And yeah I really like the Outkast albums I've heard so far, they are definitely in my wheelhouse.

Oh I also love Janelle Monae! Forgot to mention her. I'll be fine as far as the trap goes lol. I'll probably give the songs a listen and ignore it if I don't like it since that's mostly not for me.

And yeah I've tried to go back and do a lot of research on what I missed, especially last year. I feel like I'm at least past the point of most college kids who claim to like rap at this point :p

Fjordson

Blu going off on twitter

he made dancing in the rain fam
Just read it. Some weird shit. Even Evidence saying on his Twitter "Blu is not well mentally".

It's sad man. One of my favourite modern rappers for sure. I saw him live years ago and he seemed on top of it. The performance was incredible and even his back and forth with the crowd was good. He was funny and engaging and seemed at ease on stage. And in his videos too he came across as a sharp and charismatic dude. Completely different than what he seems like these days.

Edit: wow, it's a like a huge series of tweets focusing on Evidence and Alchemist. Keeps calling them faggots and saying they support Darren Wilson. So bizarre.

I think the Busta tape is the best thing he's done since Extinction Level Event.

I'm a big fan of The Big Bang so I'd say his best since that (which isn't saying much), but still.

There are some joints here.

what's a better tape in the rapper's late career? new 50 cent or new busta?

50's tape grew on me a bit because most of the hooks on there are pretty solid and 50 suddenly remembered how to construct catchy tracks, so I'd say they're about the same level of "Huh, these guys still have some fuel in the tank."

I'm The Man on 50's tape is the best track from either project though. Can't get enough of the production on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom