• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT14| The 6 God is Five Writers, And One False Idol

Status
Not open for further replies.

FZZ

Banned
was driving home tonight and I heard 'These Walls' play on the radio...

upuv8jK.png
upuv8jK.png
upuv8jK.png
upuv8jK.png

is that fucking mia khalifa

With its bold-name lineup, that July night at OVO Fest could have doubled as a tribute to all the artists that Drake has stolen from: So Far Gone doubles as an 808s & Heartbreak karaoke album from a melancholy high school drama club Hamlet; hashtag rap came from Big Sean; “The Motto” is probably the best song that YG and Mustard never did; he got his roadman slang from Skepta; and his subsequent collaborative album with Future, What a Time to Be Alive, plays out like 56 Nights fan fiction.

There’s a line from What a Time where Drake raps, “Live from the gutter, I will buy this motherfucker.” For a flash, he reveals the voice of a real estate tycoon seeking to gentrify a working-class block into condos, doggy daycares, and the sort of stainless steel coffee shops where Kendrick might appear directly after Drake on the barista’s Spotify playlist. Yet as opulent self-mythology streams into the struggle, mirroring our own constant contradictions, we’re still reminded that there will always be codes corporations can’t understand and places where memes will never matter.
Damn thought this would be a pitchfork Drake wank.

Damn thought this would be a pitchfork Drake wank.
Drake and Kendrick are natural antagonists, heirs to the rivalry between Jay Z and Nas: the flashy Gatsby versus the cerebral monk. Lamar firmly grounds himself in Compton, grappling with racist stereotypes, internecine gang violence, brutal police, and self-loathing. Drake sulks blissfully above the clouds. His Toronto is a flag to drape himself in—the city as CGI, a vague cold region where the strippers are virgins to him and where Travis $cott comes to visit and stays for way too long. And if Jay Z pioneered the art of siphoning new flows and slang from young artists, Drake perfected it.
As To Pimp a Butterfly attempts a sonic and spiritual séance with the past to explore the crises of today, Drake asks you pay $10 for his “mixtape.” Kendrick’s “Alright” became the de facto anthem for Black Lives Matter; your mom did the “Hotline Bling” dance at Christmas.

But it’s more than a simple dialectic between art and commerce. Kendrick’s appearance on Taylor Swift’s “Bad Blood” remix mars any notion of false purity; Drake has surely written a sincere song or two that doesn’t try to turn a Hooters waitress into Helen of Troy. They’re ultimately wrestling for the throne of an art form with plenty of room for both to co-exist.
:O

Didn't Drake turn down a Pitchfork feature to do The Fader instead? That's the root of the animosity imo. Petty shit.

Remember that Meagan Garvy (or whatever the fuck her name is) ether piece of Drake came out shortly before the Fader piece.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Didn't Drake turn down a Pitchfork feature to do The Fader instead? That's the root of the animosity imo. Petty shit.

Remember that Meagan Garvy (or whatever the fuck her name is) ether piece of Drake came out shortly before the Fader piece.
Drake doesn't do much media anymore and only did Fader's anniversary cover because Fader helped put him on.

Fjordson

Yeah, Pitchfork hasn't been into Drake for a bit now. Can't imagine how painful it was for them to put Hotline Bling so high up on their songs of the year list. Shit, even with that track they said Erykah Badu's remix "ran circles around Drake" lol.

Yeah, Pitchfork hasn't been into Drake for a bit now. Can't imagine how painful it was for them to put Hotline Bling so high up on their songs of the year list. Shit, even with that track they said Erykah Badu's remix "ran circles around Drake" lol.
As much as I like that tape of hers, the og is better.

aye this article is awful lmao. how you gonna just give basically half a bar to all the interesting shit going on on rap?

how the fuck P4K editors let that get published. breh was really just in his feelings 5 months later that Meek got fucking washed by any standard and used what could've been an interesting article to kick his spit. smfh.

I like the idea of painting 2015 as Drake's hot war with Meek and a cold war with Kendrick. That's an interesting analogy. But how you write a 2015 recap and not have heavy focus on Future is beyond me. And yall know I'm not some Future fan, I just like a growing handful of tracks.

I like the idea of painting 2015 as Drake's hot war with Meek and a cold war with Kendrick. That's an interesting analogy. But how you write a 2015 recap and not have heavy focus on Future is beyond me. And yall know I'm not some Future fan, I just like a growing handful of tracks.

And how did they overlook that it was actually Papoose's year
Wake the fuck up

DominoKid

man i tried to give Cole/HBO the benefit of the doubt after that WaPo hit piece on their documentary. but after 2 eps (4 total to be released?) i have to agree that this shit is dull.

this a real missed opportunity imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom