• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT14| The 6 God is Five Writers, And One False Idol

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

Ether is a bad song, let's be real. Takeover is the most musically pleasing thing to come out of that beef, and has stood the test of time. I'm not denying the impact Ether had in the moment, but we're grown now. Let's admit it's a bad song with some cringey lyrics.

it's not the best beat, but cmon now
we're gonna act like jigga ain't had gay jokes now right

you're a bad song with cringey lyrics

it's not the best beat, but cmon now
we're gonna act like jigga ain't had gay jokes now right

you're a bad song with cringey lyrics

Yeah but some song structure and great production makes the gay jokes easier to stomach.

Ether don't bump in the whip. In 2015 that's all that really matters. This Meek vs. Drake thing might as well be a battle of producers.

Irish pls, don't resort to name calling. This isn't personal, just facts.

Koozek

The Dreamer, The Believer is really good. Dunno why people turned on that album, it still holds up incredibly well and the album cuts remind me a lot of how Be flowed.

Hmm, I guess I'll check it out later. I honestly slept on a lot of rap albums after '09.

Koozek

The Truth PEEvealed! Here’s The Story Behind Meek Mill’s “Movie Theater Pee” Jab At Drake:

Story #1:
http://bossip.com/1197839/who-peed-on-drake-meek-mill-wanna-know-diss/2/

Story #2:
http://bossip.com/1197839/who-peed-on-drake-meek-mill-wanna-know-diss/3/

giphy.gif

SSReborn

Can you guys imagine if social media was as relevant back then as it was now when some of the past hip hop beefs were going on??

The memes would be legendary.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Meek diss is wack as fuck holy shit lmaoooo

Drake bout to end his career with the next punch.

Meek diss is wack as fuck holy shit lmaoooo

Drake bout to end his career with the next punch.

Drake's not even gonna throw another punch in his direction or even acknowledge him anymore, it's over.

He'll get asked about the ghostwriting in interviews, but it's too late, he's already composed the perfect response to save his credibility somewhat.

Nibel

Drake's not even gonna throw another punch in his direction or even acknowledge him anymore, it's over.

He'll get asked about the ghostwriting in interviews, but it's too late, he's already composed the perfect response to save his credibility somewhat.

Yeah, this looks pretty much over - Meek had his 4 minutes on the stage and drowned. Get overshadowed by your own ammuntion brehs. Contradict yourself half a dozens times on a single track brehs. Try to stir up more shit like the piss story and gossip to distract from the fact your bars are abysmal brehs.

What a tragedy of a disstrack. PS: something I didn't see here but I wonder what Charlamagne will respond to Flex who called him out on air and threw words at his head. Shit was kinda corny but hearing Flex almost passing out was hilarious lmao

Damn I missed the Takeover/Ether debate.

Takeover is no doubt the better song musically. It was in 2001 and is now. The beat knocks (that Doors sample) and Jay was flowing.

But Ether was so raw, so visceral, so emotionally devastating. It had Jay in his feelings, crying on air with Angie Martinez, and I don't think he ever really recovered. Blueprint 2 (song) was ehh and Jay's attempt to recreate the raw emotion of Ether, Supa Ugly, was tragic. Disrespectful as hell (condoms on the baby seat), but still tragic.

Cedric

The Truth PEEvealed! Here’s The Story Behind Meek Mill’s “Movie Theater Pee” Jab At Drake:

Story #1:
http://bossip.com/1197839/who-peed-on-drake-meek-mill-wanna-know-diss/2/

Story #2:
http://bossip.com/1197839/who-peed-on-drake-meek-mill-wanna-know-diss/3/

giphy.gif

Story #1 would be way less embarrassing, and if story #2 is just that the guy peed on the floor next to Drake it isn't that bad either. If the guy straight up got up and peed on Drake then that's fucked up lol...

and lmao at "drizzled on drake"

Ether is a bad song, let's be real. Takeover is the most musically pleasing thing to come out of that beef, and has stood the test of time. I'm not denying the impact Ether had in the moment, but we're grown now. Let's admit it's a bad song with some cringey lyrics.

I mean both tracks were good but everybody talks about Ether more than Takeover. If you don't like it fine but don't act like everyone thinks that way.

Also
https://twitter.com/CASSIDY_LARSINY/status/627106160676601857

The Ether beat also sounds like something that needed to be touched up by an exec producer. That being said, any dismissal of it as a diss is revisionist history. Dude was literally on the radio depressed about that shit. Ether is now a verb for christ's sake. Let's be real. Even the biased DJs at Hot 97 couldn't deny it.

Hov followed up with two weak disses. Nas throw a couple shots but never a specific diss record again. Because he won.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I question your entire life if you can sit there with a straight face and call Ether a bad song. Not even Jay would say some shit like that and he's the biggest Jay stan there is.

Damn I missed the Takeover/Ether debate.

Takeover is no doubt the better song musically. It was in 2001 and is now. The beat knocks (that Doors sample) and Jay was flowing.

But Ether was so raw, so visceral, so emotionally devastating. It had Jay in his feelings, crying on air with Angie Martinez, and I don't think he ever really recovered. Blueprint 2 (song) was ehh and Jay's attempt to recreate the raw emotion of Ether, Supa Ugly, was tragic. Disrespectful as hell (condoms on the baby seat), but still tragic.

This. Takeover is better as a song, I can listen to it and just enjoy it as a track. Ether was far more devastating as a diss track. Nas unloaded on Hov and it's better in that sense of just raw energy and emotion.

Someone in Meek's camp fucked up letting him come out with that.

I figure the only way he survives this is if he cops a plea right now, comes out on his Like Toy Soldiers shit and deads the beef before Drake puts the nail in the coffin at OVOfest.

deli2000

I mean I'll admit Nas won as much as anyone else, but the homophobia in that song hasn't aged well and that beat is god awful. I would rather listen to Takeover any day of the week.

Esch

Banned
as the biggest hov stan in here...
RckhEE5.png

The better diss track is the one that lands harder. it doesnt matter if Ether has a badly produced tinny beat like the rest of the songs on the album that it came out on. it doesn't matter that Takeover got a wavy ass beat and overall hilarious ass lines. Ether is better. If people cared about corny lines that bad, Lupe would have no fanbase and we probably
wouldn't consider illmatic a classic either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom