• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT14| The 6 God is Five Writers, And One False Idol

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

really not here for "supereme clientele was ghostwritten" fuckery tho

Is anyone actually interested in Straight Outta Compton? Shit looks far too cynical and fake for me

yes, planning on hitting it up opening night, <30% RT scores notwithstanding

It's a chronological listing, not a ranking. Just pointing out how great Redman was during that stretch.

phew
i remember thinking Darkside was his first shit forever, prolly cause i was put onto him by Can't Wait

And let's face it, we're still at a stage where we got a long way to go with domestic violence.

amen

Finesse said the checks from Chronic 2001 have been amazing for him to this day.

for real? i wonder what the #'s are like for him on those, always curious abou tthat

August fuckery commences

there's nothing new here though, is there? like, we have RTJ talking about writing shit together & trading lines on the regular, we're gonna act like that's not been a mainstay forever though?

Lol this ghost writing stigma in hip-hop is literally the most naive shit I've seen in the genre for a while.

I mean even back in the day, it seems obvious that dudes would throw lines at each other. I'm sure the Cold Crush Brothers, the Furious 5, Run-DMC, the Beastie Boys would all write lyrics in a collaborative fashion to make a dope song or routine.

Fuck, the first huge hip-hop hit song (Rapper's Delight) was ghostwritten by Grandmaster Caz

thank you

Even Nas admitted that Jungle fed him bars on One Mic.

Lines being shared here and there isn't really a problem except for the absolute most ardent "hip-hop purist".

It's gonna get real hot for folks if (when?) we find out that entire songs were authored by other cats.

i think this'll be the line, right here. that or like the tao of your album, or let's say you used ghostwriters for some personal shit like the death of your brother etc

As for GZA, him, Meth and RZA wrote almost all of ODB's first album.

any doubts about this one can be quickly put to rest but listening to the rest of ODB's catalog; shit doesn't sound the same

Bah. Ultimately my position was made clear last week tho. I can't change it now that my GOAT candidate has said something that hurts my soul.

man, it was said here but: does SC sound somehow unlike the rest of his best works? nah? then that's Ghost right there

That's enough GAF-Hop for me.

yupppp

ScHoolboy Q &#10004;@ScHoolBoyQ
Bad day... But on a good note my album 85% done
11:21 PM - 1 Aug 2015

Rock can't even get an album title and Q's already mostly done with his next project?

C'mon TDE

If we learned anything from Oxymoron, Q being 85% done means the album's about 18 months away because of sample issues.

EDIT: And if we learned anything from the last week, he didn't even write most of it anyway. Nuke hip-hop from orbit it's done who cares

6HoNUdq.gif

Courage

ScHoolboy Q &#10004;@ScHoolBoyQ
Bad day... But on a good note my album 85% done
11:21 PM - 1 Aug 2015

Rock can't even get an album title and Q's already mostly done with his next project?

C'mon TDE

If Jay Rock doesn't drop by the end of this year, then they might as well not even bother. TDE is such a shitshow.

Info about how Drake gonna put Meek in the dirt tonight at OVOfest from Reddit (all rumors and hearsay of course)

I know a bit about this track, considering it's been buzzing across pretty much all camps that are cool with Drake.
It is five minutes long.
It's produced by Boi-1da, Vinylz, Detail, & 40.
It's been in the making from the day after Meek's ghostwriter tweets to now.
It will premiere at 11:00 during Drake's OVO Fest set.
It is titled Three Strikes.
It will be the final diss from Drake. He's been putting the work into this one to ensure that Meek cannot respond to this. I can't tell you exactly what he's gonna do to ensure that, but let me tell you, its something he's been hinting at since the very first diss.

EDIT: And if we learned anything from the last week, he didn't even write most of it anyway. Nuke hip-hop from orbit it's done who cares

But that Bang 3 tho. All fire and all penned by Sosa

tumblr_m4m1scTbEs1r2kdbno1_500.gif

Keef the realest nigga left

It really doesn't make sense. Jay Rock isn't going to sell well, everyone knows it. He's not even on Interscope. If Rashad could do 9k first without anyone knowing who he was, and 26k total...surely Rock could at least do 15-20k first week. That's not bad for an indie.

I'm sure they're homies but damn, you'd have to feel some type of way about watching Kendrick get another music video release plus 3 features on Dre's album (dropping this week) before you can even release your fucking album title.

injurai

Banned
Be a bunch of aspiring rappers.
Leading different lives.
All working towards their first album.
All starting at different ages.
Being different ages.
Different amount of years put into their first project.
In any give year.
In any given scene.
A few of these rappers will be ready.

Be a label needing to recruit again.
Land yourself this years batch of aspiring rappers.
Form them into label mates.
Give them a crew name.
Design a release plan for their albums
Hype them up as something big.

Realize they were all different and took different paths to get their.
Never recreate those first great years.
Everyone know wants to continue moving on.
But they other labels are finding their own freshman crew.
The old guard still hogging all the platinum contracts anyways.
Be TDE.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I was thinking VFT6 midnight release or during OVO Fest would be the kill shot. Blogs would eat up the sales and ultimately what carries this beef which is no longer about legitimacy will be the music.

Fjordson

I was thinking VFT6 midnight release or during OVO Fest would be the kill shot. Blogs would eat up the sales and ultimately what carries this beef which is no longer about legitimacy will be the music.
That would be incredible. Or like the first single with a video or some crazy shit.

I'm interested in the third diss, but more just because it could be dope on its own like Back to Back was. Don't really care about the beef or who "wins" anymore.

Nah, Drake's wearing that shirt because he finally wants to release Rahmeek from his hex and give him a lifeline.

Drake will go on stage, squash the beef, and then bring out Meek for RICO and Amen

Fjordson

Wow, the shirt pic didn't load at first on my phone. Good god lol

The new track better be really, really good or this will all look silly.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I was fine with the second diss track, but this is getting corny.
"Three strikes" makes for a good storyline, and that's part of why Drake is winning even in the eyes of the hardcore.

I initially thought he shouldn't have even acknowledged Meek but I think he's just taking this moment in general to get his rocks off and have another stab at removing that chip on his shoulder. The story is hot right now and Meek also had some poor timing with this all leading into OVOfest. There's anticipation there and I think it's best he capitalizes and then ends this.

Hope Meek is still around afterwards tho, or else it's gonna be a while before we get someone who can fill that lane in rap again.

Courage

"Three strikes" makes for a good storyline, and that's part of why Drake is winning even in the eyes of the hardcore.

I initially thought he shouldn't have even acknowledged Meek but I think he's just taking this moment in general to get his rocks off and have another stab at removing that chip on his shoulder. The story is hot right now and Meek also had some poor timing with this all leading into OVOfest. There's anticipation there and I think it's best he capitalizes and then ends this.

Hope Meek is still around afterwards tho, or else it's gonna be a while before we get someone who can fill that lane in rap again.

Everyone already acknowledges Drake won. That's been the whole joke these past few days, the fact that Meek got destroyed and embarrassed himself with that sorry excuse of a diss track. I get why he's doing it, but it's still unnecessary and corny to me, especially if the entire show revolves around it.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

with j. Cole being so popular nowadays I think you're right about meek being necessary.

Nibel

You can hear him if you turn it up

"This is when me and Nicki come on stage together, lap dance, 1 minute *holds one finger up*"

Sheesh

Personally, I hope he won't drop a third one and just wear that shirt, but there has been way too much smoke past few days. Back To Back was nice and all, but now he gotta show he can bury someone on his stage, some kind of marple magic power demonstration from the fairy king that shows everyone who reigns over the realm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom