• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
This is word from Amoeba. LP editions of Piñata are backed up in production. Week or two delay in release.

Yea the YG album is pretty average. Keeping maybe.. 2-3 tracks from it.

Also, apparently Mike Will made it, has a song with Kendrick Lamar & Lil Wayne dropping soon.

DJ mustard is garbage

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
DJ Mustard is a one trick pony, and I really don't think all too great of a producer. 3/4s of the songs sound like edits of the same song. YG is so corny, and the urge to create these hood anthems sounds so choreographed and unimaginative. The attempted concept of the album owes so much to GKMC that it diminishes its potential, and even then the execution is rather pitiful. Many of the tracks sound like singles with skits added on the end of them to create false structure. Now I must admit that the Smokin and Drinkin song with Kendrick Lamar is one of my top ten favorite tracks released this year, but that's one of the few tracks where the beat remains raw and free from the repetitive macro-editing that DJ Mustard seems to put through all of his songs.
We're attributing life in the hood concept albums to Kendrick now?

Get out.

YG album has a great vibe. Its really similar to Cilvia Demo actually. Not really that original, not more than a handful of solid tracks (especially strange you think the Kendrick joint is better than My N***a which is a certified jam too), and probably ultimately mediocre, but it's still worth a listen. I'd put it above Mastermind and probably below Oxymoron because while cohesive there aren't a ton of keepers, but the ones that do go, go /arbitrarycomparison.

I actually think YG does a decently good job of being convincing too, I mean, he's less of a fake than most of the industry goons we've become accustomed to. It carries most of the songs too, he's more relaxed about certain things he raps about vs. telling people how many billions of keys he's got in his whip. He just really doesn't have anything else lyrically but I mean that's not really his niche anyways.

Tokubetsu

We're attributing life in the hood concept albums to Kendrick now?

Get out.

YG album has a great vibe. Its really similar to Cilvia Demo actually. Not really that original, not more than a handful of solid tracks (especially strange you think the Kendrick joint is better than My N***a which is a certified jam too), and probably ultimately mediocre, but it's still worth a listen. I'd put it above Mastermind and probably below Oxymoron because while cohesive there aren't a ton of keepers, but the ones that do go, go /arbitrarycomparison.

I actually think YG does a decently good job of being convincing too, I mean, he's less of a fake than most of the industry goons we've become accustomed to. It carries most of the songs too, he's more relaxed about certain things he raps about vs. telling people how many billions of keys he's got in his whip. He just really doesn't have anything else lyrically but I mean that's not really his niche anyways.

I read a pretty great review that kinda broke it down like this: the YG album is a solid genre flick thats a little more ambitious than it has any right to be/people expect and hits the mark for the most part. Compared to something like a Yeezus or Good Kid mAAD City which are way more ambitious even oscar bait films. YG's DREDD vs Kendrick's Fruitvale Station.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
De La Soul - Vocabulary Spills (Prod. by J Dilla).

I read a pretty great review that kinda broke it down like this: the YG album is a solid genre flick thats a little more ambitious than it has any right to be/people expect and hits the mark for the most part. Compared to something like a Yeezus or Good Kid mAAD City which are way more ambitious even oscar bait films. YG's DREDD vs Kendrick's Fruitvale Station.
This sounds apt and eloquently put.

overcast

The YG album just doesn't feel like anything special, or even particularly memorable in any way. The theme was hardly there and the beats blend together. YG isn't going to impress me lyrically, so I just expected to have more fun with it than I did. It's very average for me.

Not even remotely comparable to GKMC. Different things. My issue is that the album isn't anything I'm going to play often.

HiResDes

I really like the end of My Krazy Life, but I pointed out issues other than my possibly inept mention of GKMC but why are people so quick to defend an album they posit below Oxymoron, which is pretty much the model for rap album mediocrity

Dereck

go-white-boy_medium.gif
Kill em

I really like the end of My Krazy Life, but I pointed out issues other than my possibly inept mention of GKMC but are people so quick to defend an album they posit below Oxymoron, which is pretty much the model for rap album mediocrity

can't really say anything about you not feeling DJ Mustard. It just is what it is. Right now he has a sound that I thought I would get tired of, but I always find myself pulled back into it. I even stated myself I thought it was funny some of his sounds are throughout almost every song he produced himself.

As for YG, I still don't really get what people dislike about him honestly. I think he does a decent job and he comes across really down to earth and not overly exaggerated gangsta rap that most of rap is filled with now. That's something I really like about him and those elements really shine on tracks like Sorry Momma and Meet the Flockers.

For the record if i had to point out the only tracks I weren't feeling it would be 8 and 9.

YG is a really average rapper who understands how to write hooks. You can go back like five years and the dude's songwriting skills were still evident. And Mustard's beats make it even easier to write too , as a DJ. They're repetitive as hell but I notice nearly all his noteworthy productions have a good hook (Act Right, My Nigga, etc).

With respect to Kendrick comparisons it's worth noting that many people's perception of Compton was based on Boyz In Tha Hood or Menace 2 Society long before GKMC came out. So while the skits do sound like GKMC, and his videos also feature similar concepts, that's only because GKMC is the most recent portrait of Compton in a long running collage we're all familiar with.

Kendrick is Tre, YG is Doughboy.

I will agree with the sentiment of the YG album not necessarily being anything groundbreaking or special from a true critics perspective.

However, that being said I absolutely love it. I just feel like he goes so hard on it and it gets me psyched no matter what.

PBY

Banned
YG album flows better from track to track than any album I've ever heard.

Feels like I'm listening to a mix almost

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Mustard beats are repetitive, yes, but all you motherfuckers are still listening to and loving the Luger drum clips and some bass lines permeating all of rap, as they almost define what slaps and what doesn't today. There's something inherent in whatever it is that is repetitive that makes it stick. For trap/drill, it just makes songs sound gangster. Drums get your blood pumping and the bass helps carry that feeling.

For Mustard, it's that the way he spaces out his piano sounds just makes you want to get up and dance. Ain't nothing like it today in hip-hop. It's a breath of fresh air for gangster rap really. Ain't nobody saying he's going to stick around either, but I'm not tryna sit here and debate why these beats aren't making me want to get up and do the Carleton.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wu Block 2 Tracklist

wublock-2-450x450.jpg

1. Cappa Wu Block (ft. Cappadonna)
2. Wu Block Biznez (ft. Ghostface Killah & Sheek Louch)
3. Can’t Be Lookin’ 4 Me (ft. The LOX)
4. Big Money ft. Ghostface Killah & Sheek Louch)
5. Guns On Em (ft. Sheek Louch)
6. Aint’ Coming From Class (ft. Solomon Childs & Sheek Louch)
7. Wanted Dead or Alive (ft. Cappadonna & Solomon Childs)
8. Put Ya Hands Up (ft. Ghostface Killah & Sheek Louch)
9. South Beach (ft. Ghostface Killah & Sheek Louch)
10. Die Tonight (ft. Sheek Louch & Styles P)
11. Auta (ft. Killah Priest, Masta Killa & Ghostface Killah)
12. Drivin’ Round ft. Sheek Louch, Ghostface Killah, Masta Killa & GZA)
13. Do U Like It (ft. Ghostface Killah & Sheek Louch)
14. Come Get Some (ft. Ghostface Killah & Sheek Louch)
15. Throw It Up (ft. Sheek Louch)

Drake performs new song, Call on Me. Sounds like it could be a jam.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Wu Block 2 Tracklist

wublock-2-450x450.jpg

1. Cappa Wu Block (ft. Cappadonna)
2. Wu Block Biznez (ft. Ghostface Killah & Sheek Louch)
3. Can’t Be Lookin’ 4 Me (ft. The LOX)
4. Big Money ft. Ghostface Killah & Sheek Louch)
5. Guns On Em (ft. Sheek Louch)
6. Aint’ Coming From Class (ft. Solomon Childs & Sheek Louch)
7. Wanted Dead or Alive (ft. Cappadonna & Solomon Childs)
8. Put Ya Hands Up (ft. Ghostface Killah & Sheek Louch)
9. South Beach (ft. Ghostface Killah & Sheek Louch)
10. Die Tonight (ft. Sheek Louch & Styles P)
11. Auta (ft. Killah Priest, Masta Killa & Ghostface Killah)
12. Drivin’ Round ft. Sheek Louch, Ghostface Killah, Masta Killa & GZA)
13. Do U Like It (ft. Ghostface Killah & Sheek Louch)
14. Come Get Some (ft. Ghostface Killah & Sheek Louch)
15. Throw It Up (ft. Sheek Louch)

Drake performs new song, Call on Me. Sounds like it could be a jam.

gettin_ready.gif~original

And speaking of Drake, wtf happened to the Wu-Tang Forever remix? Did the gods run up on him behind the scenes and tell him to kill that noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom