• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
I would enjoy YG shit more than i do now but it just feels samey and whatever since it dropped right at the same time as Pinata. That's like putting a 5 guys burger next to a ribeye.

DominoKid

Young Thug's situation sounds like he's never gonna see any money. So many deals. Birdman as his manager. Gucci Mane hands in the pot.

iZzzXxScUxKWY.png

IrishNinja

so who else trynna go with me to whenever this Once Upon a Time in Shaolin exhibit gets museum dates, we need to start plannin time off from work nahmean

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I would enjoy YG shit more than i do now but it just feels samey and whatever since it dropped right at the same time as Pinata. That's like putting a 5 guys burger next to a ribeye.
I haven't had dinner yet and both sound good.

Tokubetsu

Whether you like the artist or not these label messes are always heartbreaking man. You look at JoJo man. Girl is 23 and has literally spent almost half her life fighting to get out of contracts and shady label bullshit.

Here

PBY

Banned
Young Thug's situation sounds like he's never gonna see any money. So many deals. Birdman as his manager. Gucci Mane hands in the pot.

iZzzXxScUxKWY.png
He reallllly fucked up.

Right now he's got this awesome position as indie darling AND trap cred.

Go independent brah. Eat off touring and mixtapes. Keep making music. Or sign w a smaller label like Danny brown.

DominoKid

how did gucci get a cut?

Thug’s allegiance wasn’t in name only — he’d also signed a binding production deal with Gucci Mane and 1017 Brick Squad. This happened around March 2013, said an Atlanta music publicist who has worked with Thug. The exact terms of that contract are unknown, but a current industry-standard contract for a different rap production deal obtained by BuzzFeed outlines an agreement where, for an agreed-upon period, a production company owns the exclusive rights to an artist’s recording masters, videos, artwork, and name. The deal stipulates that the production company will release and promote the artist’s videos, mixtapes, or albums in order to develop their career and eventually a secure a deal with a major record company. Then, the production company would furnish the artists’ exclusive recording services to the major label, for a price, to be negotiated by the company that signed the production deal.

and

According to Jordan, it may be possible for 300 to sign Young Thug because 300 is in the Atlantic system, and has more sway over Atlantic chairs Craig Kallman and Julie Greenwald than APG CEO Mike Caren. “[Lyor] could go in there and be like, ‘I’ll do the deal with 300, I’ll keep Mike involved and I’ll give Thug and additional advance to keep him happy,’” Jordan said. If Thug does sign a deal with 300, it seems that Gucci Mane will remain involved in some capacity too. “He’ll continue to get money from it and he’ll earn some money up front,” Jordan said. (Through a PR rep, 300 declined to speak with BuzzFeed.)

Tokubetsu

He reallllly fucked up.

Right now he's got this awesome position as indie darling AND trap cred.

Go independent brah. Eat off touring and mixtapes. Keep making music. Or sign w a smaller label like Danny brown.

That's the problem. He signed papers bruh. He's a slave until somehow lawyers can get him out of it or he fulfils the contract.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't really understand Young Thug. From everything I've listened to, he's a poor man's Future who can't carry his weight through verses. I've been listening to Stoner, but the verses are so atrociously bad for a hook being that good.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I don't really understand Young Thug. From everything I've listened to, he's a poor man's Future who can't carry his weight through verses. I've been listening to Stoner, but the verses are so atrociously bad for a hook being that good.

I'm a fan but he's got a lot of room for improvement. I love that off kilter style, switching from wailing to rapid fire rapping, but he needs to work on creating some actual structure to his songs. Most of his shit is just all over the place. It's still early but none of his projects really hold up as a whole yet either, I dig like half the tracks but the rest are junk. I think he's got the talent he just needs some focus and direction.

It's no surprise some of his best work has been doing hooks on other artist's tracks.

PBY

Banned
Listen to 2 cups stuffed. WHEEW.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Future is a refined, but sedated version of Young Thug. I like Future but he rarely excites me. Thugger's never boring.

DominoKid

the most important thing is that you feel like Fabo

FIUdRMb.gif

(as excited as I am about the Gucci/Thug tape, i really want to hear the one he's gonna have with RHQ. and i reeeeeeally want to hear the stuff he's done w/ Metro Boomin)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah I'm way more hype for metro thugger, if it happens. Same with the Quan shit. With Gucci locked up most of that shit is just old recordings. They even have Waka on a track.

DominoKid

i don't have a problem w/ it being stuff they recorded a while ago. as long as its not a bunch of stuff they've already released.

Bricks Like A Project is dope.

He might have pretty bad verses but Danny Glover is better than anything future has put out in a really long time.

Vorheez

Thats crazy man, I was coming to ask if anyone was into Young Thug and you guys are already on it.

I've had Danny Glover and Loaded on repeat the past few weeks, can't get enough of those tracks. Its gotta be that off kilter style that Snuggles was talkin about

IrishNinja

Wyclef Jean is broke

blow all your money on cars and stupid shit, brehs.

fuckin sad shit right here, he's gotta be phoning lauryn for comeback tour requests on the daily. you'd think having a head large enough to be the haitian version of The Leader would get you far, but didn't his boy get a presidential pardon on bush's way out the door or am i remembering shit wrong?

Very ironic that he tried to run for President in Haiti and this happens to him a few years later down the line.

sadly this

On a related note Akon was on Sway recently and he said he doesn't fuck with the jewellery (diamonds mainly) and stunting shit anymore. His reasoning was he realised the super rich guys didn't dress as fancy and you could imagine going into meetings with these kind of people looking like a clown.

jigga used to rap about this kinda thing, nice to see it brought up though. it's cute that rappers blow their advances on a chain but if you keep at that, you really didn't learn a thing

wenis

I'd blow my advance on like... a new turntable.

maybe I'll get a PS4, I want to play Second Son.

yo HRD is sharon van etten worth driving 5 hours one way to see live on a school night

Typing that out made me realize how insane that actually sounds but F, man... "epic"

wenis

It's kinda cool. Overall style wasn't my bag, but there's some good stuff in there (the BAD is so good , wow, nobody think nomo).

kodecraft

This, man these type of rappers come and go and people eat it up. I'm from Atlanta and Future is the king of his sound but not the originator, he just made it first.

Rich Homie Quan and Young Thug are subsidiaries of Future's sound. You can add Migos to that list too, they all know eachother too. #Kirkwood

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This, man these type of rappers come and go and people eat it up. I'm from Atlanta and Future is the king of his sound but not the originator, he just made it first.

Rich Homie Quan and Young Thug are subsidiaries of Future's sound. You can add Migos to that list too, they all know eachother too. #Kirkwood
Real talk, I was reading Young Thug's wiki page and it's just accolade after accolade about how unique the dude's sound is, which is just head scratching.

I feel the same way about Quan too, IMO his sound and voice are much better to the ears than Future or Thug but he's also wildly inconsistent. Future is just a better/more consistent songwriter.

I sort of understand the appeal of liking people that flow like nobody else (why Future is so popular), but it's way too everywhere. I feel like they just speed up and slow down at random and it's transparent.

Any impressions on this?

Involves one half of Shabazz Palaces. Click the image for a video. I don't have time to listen to it right now.

It's good. Gets great at a few points but falls back down. I need to give it some more play, been too caught up in work. Should bang it this weekend when I go hiking.

kodecraft

Real talk, I was reading Young Thug's wiki page and it's just accolade after accolade about how unique the dude's sound is, which is just head scratching.

I feel the same way about Quan too, IMO his sound and voice are much better to the ears than Future or Thug but he's also wildly inconsistent. Future is just a better/more consistent songwriter.

I sort of understand the appeal of liking people that flow like nobody else (why Future is so popular), but it's way too everywhere. I feel like they just speed up and slow down at random and it's transparent.

I agree one hunna.

Matter fact check this new Young Thug track ----->

Young Thug ~ The Blanguage

Young-Thug-Language-Remix.jpg

P.S. I actually like this track though, ha!

HiResDes

yo HRD is sharon van etten worth driving 5 hours one way to see live on a school night

Typing that out made me realize how insane that actually sounds but F, man... "epic"
Hmm not sure five hours is worth it unless it's a really small venue and it's down to earth enough that she'd be likely to chill and drink with you after.

PBY

Banned
Young thug isn't future .05.

He raps like he's one hit away from ODing. I dunno. Most interesting voice and flow for trap in a while. Every bar is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom