• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sort of understand the appeal of liking people that flow like nobody else (why Future is so popular), but it's way too everywhere. I feel like they just speed up and slow down at random and it's transparent.

That's the point. It's entertaining not knowing where he might take the next bar. He's unpredictable, but I could have told you he isn't for you before you bothered listening to him

Esch

Banned
I like Future more than young thug. Young Thug's more fruity lil wayne swag is corny, and he has no bass in his voice. Occasionally YT will have a cool song/verse but he never really drops anything that i keep in rotation for longer than a couple plays. He's mad overrated on the internet because he appeals to the ATL trap crowd and the hipster irony boys, he's not actually that dope.

Esch

Banned
Meek Mill pays for cancer patients medical bills

Salute that.

And all you guys wanna see him broke
jq0Xd4rxIRGcn.png

PBY

Banned
I like Future more than young thug. Young Thug's more fruity lil wayne swag is corny, and he has no bass in his voice. Occasionally YT will have a cool song/verse but he never really drops anything that i keep in rotation for longer than a couple plays. He's mad overrated on the internet because he appeals to the ATL trap crowd and the hipster irony boys, he's not actually that dope.

1017 Thug is so GOAT tho. Sooo GOAT.

kodecraft

It's literally just The Language, which was already just a Migos song but with soft boy overtones, except with Future esque crooning and weird Q sounds/adlibs.

I like it but let's call it what it is.

True but out of that in which you name, I like this 'version' more than any of the others.

Young Thug really drives home the point that rap has about 10 years before it hits the absolute bottom. I pride myself in being able to appreciate a wide variety of shit, and understand why something is a hit or popular. I can listen to Super Bass and get why it works - it's a great pop song. I can listen to Love Sosa and "get" the appeal - the melody is hard to deny.

I think Future was one of the first new-ish guys who made me take pause and say wow, this shit is reaching the tipping point. And now Young Thug has graced us with his presence. Off key yelping, little melody, no quotable lines...maybe I'm just too old for this shit brehs.

And to make matters worse the dude looks like an AIDs patient. Someone explain this to a brotha,

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Young Thug really drives home the point that rap has about 10 years before it hits the absolute bottom. I pride myself in being able to appreciate a wide variety of shit, and understand why something is a hit or popular. I can listen to Super Bass and get why it works - it's a great pop song. I can listen to Love Sosa and "get" the appeal - the melody is hard to deny.

I think Future was one of the first new-ish guys who made me take pause and say wow, this shit is reaching the tipping point. And now Young Thug has graced us with his presence. Off key yelping, little melody, no quotable lines...maybe I'm just too old for this shit brehs.

And to make matters worse the dude looks like an AIDs patient. Someone explain this to a brotha,
I think it's diversifying, so you get more of the trash and the good stuff too. It's getting to the point where people are impressed with things just because they're different, and you see it everywhere, not just in this thread. Take something good, put a spin on it, become a clone, or just ride coattails and you'll have people on that's artists jock because they're not exactly the same. And let's keep it a stack, Thug has way more in common with Future than he is different.

This sounds interesting but I'm afraid because it's Nas doing an interview.
I'll do a summary if I get around to watching the whole thing but.. yeah.

Esch

Banned
Future is a garbage rapper obviously but i don't mind his crooning shit and hook features. He should just do that, and throw his mic work in the bushes forever. His tough shit is mediocre.

I'm actually not sure where this Young Thug and Future comparison spawn from. Rich Homie Quan and Future I get, but Thug and Future? I don't know about that. Would love to hear more insight about that because it is odd to me really
jGaCzl1bwt1jp.png
the only bannable criteria in plug is

1) Randoms playing dubstep
2) Count Blackule
Sounds about right especially number 2

Esch

Banned
I'm actually not sure where this Young Thug and Future comparison spawn from. Rich Homie Quan and Future I get, but Thug and Future? I don't know about that. Would love to hear more insight about that because it is odd to me really

It's cause of all the crooning autotuned hu huuuuuuuuuuuu music thug makes, that future is currently the king of. But if these guys listened to more trap they'd realize that everyone does that shit. Even Migos occasionally. And it sucks like 95% of the time.

It's the soft side of trap. Every street/gangsta genre of rap has something like that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Crooning, rapidly switching between soft spoken and rapid fire delivery, using the same melodies in certain instances, cutting words short at they pitch up throughout a line, and essentially making the exact same kind of turn up music.

I'm sort of shocked y'all think Thug is mostly his own thing. I mean he's obviously different but really it's closer to the mark than otherwise. I swear if it was Future spitting the exact same shit on Stoner it wouldn't be any different. Listening to the song Future/Quan/Thug did together and it's incredibly apparent how interchangeable they are.

PBY

Banned
Crooning, rapidly switching between soft spoken and rapid fire delivery, using the same melodies in certain instances, cutting words short at they pitch up throughout a line, and essentially making the exact same kind of turn up music.

I'm sort of shocked y'all think Thug is mostly his own thing. I mean he's obviously different but really it's closer to the mark than otherwise. I swear if it was Future spitting the exact same shit on Stoner it wouldn't be any different. Listening to the song Future/Quan/Thug did together and it's incredibly apparent how interchangeable they are.
Lyrics on 2 cups stuffed are sooooo far beyond anything those other two dudes could ever come up with

See, I had a feeling you were basing you opinion off that song. I'm not denying there isn't a Future influence in Thug, but they are just so different.

You realize Young Thug was doing that entirely on purpose right? He was just mimicking what Future did on Tony Montana, the verse even alluded to that. That's a rarity with Young Thug, it's not common. It would be like someone listening to The Language from Drake and assuming he is a copycat of Migos without actually listening to the songs that showcases that makes them two different.

kodecraft

See, I had a feeling you were basing you opinion off that song. I'm not denying there isn't a Future influence in Thug, but they are just so different.

Stoner could've been a Future/Migos/Homie Quan song without there being a difference, tell me I'm lying!

I will give Future props for giving Beyonce "Drunk in Love", he is a good songwriter though.

Future ~ Good Morning
<---- This track was essentially given to Beyonce.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

You realize Young Thug was doing that entirely on purpose right? He was just mimicking what Future did on Tony Montana, the verse even alluded to that. That's a rarity with Young Thug, it's not common. It would be like someone listening to The Language from Drake and assuming he is a copycat of Migos without actually listening to the songs that showcases that makes them two different.
I wasn't actually, I wrote the first paragraph of my post and then edited it with the second bit when I remembered they all did a song together. I think your Drake/Migos comparison is pretty off whack too, considering Drake's delivery is nothing like Migos' either, even if the flow is similar. And also, let's not forget that Drake is much more versatile than any of these sing songy ATL rappers.

I've probably only listened to 5 songs from Young Thug himself proper, but the similarities throughout all of them and Future's schtick is unmistakable to me. I should probably give one of his projects a listen. I'm guessing that would be 2 Cups Stuffed? I'll add it to the backlog after I get through Pinata.

I wasn't actually, I wrote the first paragraph of my post and then edited it with the second bit when I remembered they all did a song together. I think your Drake/Migos comparison is pretty off whack too, considering Drake's delivery is nothing like Migos' either, even if the flow is similar. And also, let's not forget that Drake is much more versatile than any of these sing songy ATL rappers.

That's the point I'm making....I think your Future and Young Thug comparison is pretty off whack. Not sure how that one went over your head

the mixtape is called 1017 thug, but you really don't even have to go through the whole thing. Just listen to 2 cups stuffed and that's more in line with how Young Thug really is then something like FUck outta my face

overcast

I posted a thread on Kobe's New Yorker interview where he talks Trayvon Martin. I just want to see where people go with it.

Also, would Young Thug be better without auto tune? I don't really get that whole scene. I don't think so at least. Although, I love some usage of auto tune. Just depends.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That's the point I'm making....I think your Future and Young Thug comparison is pretty off whack. Not sure how that one went over your head
Drake/Migos share very little between those songs or even when Drake uses the Migos flow compared to Future/Thug. That's the point I'm making. It's not the presence of similarity that will build an assumption, but the degree of similarity, which is greater in the latter.

Post a song that you think isn't the exception to what I'm proposing, because if there has been this much similarity in every song I've come across, I'm not sure where it stops being an exception and a legitimate pattern. Danny Glover, Stoner, Loaded all have that characteristic switching between soft delivery and the yelling for lack of better words that made Future pop.

Drake/Migos share very little between those songs or even when Drake uses the Migos flow compared to Future/Thug. That's the point I'm making. It's not the presence of similarity that will build an assumption, but the degree of similarity, which is greater in the latter.

Post a song that you think isn't the exception to what I'm proposing, because if there has been this much similarity in every song I've come across, I'm not sure where it stops being an exception and a legitimate pattern. Danny Glover, Stoner, Loaded all have that characteristic switching between soft delivery and the yelling for lack of better words that made Future pop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4l2e80vR0w

The song peter has been asking you to listen to for like the last 5 pages. It just sounds like to me you are confusing INFLUENCE with COPY CAT

Esch

Banned
Also, would Young Thug be better without auto tune? I don't really get that whole scene. I don't think so at least. Although, I love some usage of auto tune. Just depends.

I don't mind subtle use of autotune to get a certain sound like you see in pop music, but people in the trap game overdose on that shit.

effzee

I love how delusional these guys are.

I mean I get why they would be. They make money, stupid girls like Ciara fall in love with them, and then djs put them on like they are amazing. Future was on power 105.1 with dj clue the other night. Was talking about how much classic material he has released and how this new album is going to be a rap classic. Then dj clue chimed in agreeing and saying how he has been in studio with him and his work ethic is unparalleled.

I wish I could have open hand slapped dj clue for that shit. You have worked with some legends in the game and you out there co signing future on some classic talk?

overcast

It always impresses me how great Below the Heavens is at giving me feels. Blu writes so well on it, empathy all over the place.

In Remembrance of Me is such a great track. Even First Things First was a good ladies track. Dude had it.

PlayDat

DominoKid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4l2e80vR0w

The song peter has been asking you to listen to for like the last 5 pages. It just sounds like to me you are confusing INFLUENCE with COPY CAT

I like this song but its not one of my favorite Young Thug songs. Its probably his most accessible track other than Stoner which I actually really don't like all that much. I like the weird, oddball shit like Danny Glover, Condo Music, & Florida Water.

Thats why I like The Blanguage so much. It has a little bit of everything that I like about Young Thug on a familiar template. Same with his verse on Pussy Ass Bitch.

I got it.
What you going to do with it?
I like this song but its not one of my favorite Young Thug songs. Its probably his most accessible track other than Stoner which I actually really don't like all that much. I like the weird, oddball shit like Danny Glover, Condo Music, & Florida Water.

Thats why I like The Blanguage so much. It has a little bit of everything that I like about Young Thug on a familiar template.

Nah, not my favorite either. Mine are Extacy Pill, Danny Glover and Hundreds

PBY

Banned
Finally listened to that Good Book and Chimurenga

GB is dope, hard to evaluate because of the length and format though. Very enjoyable either way.

Chimurenga is fine. Will never listen again, but I enjoyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom