• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
....y'all are really stretching this Jhene thing far huh? Pretty elaborate characterizations for just another industry chick getting love for being in this space. Nothing specific to her character/how pretty she is relative to other chicks in the industry or jump offs in general.

Every female that gets into the industry has men flock to her because she's not another bird they're smashing left and right. Jhene just has some momentum. I don't get where the rest of the assumptions are coming from really, aside from maybe jealousy lol

HiResDes

Danny Brown Concert #2 Review: The venue was this place called A&R Music Bar in Columbus,Ohio that happens to be right next door the vaunted LC Pavillion. The bar itself was quite underwhelming, the lighting was quite drab, it seemed a bit small considering how many people were lined up, and the stage positioning was a short man's worst nightmare (I'm only 5'6"). The stage was not only small, and decrepit in stature, but was blocked at several points by badly placed pillars. The place also seemed to have been sponsored by Miller given the bracelets they were giving out, thus there wasn't a single craft brew to be found in their selection. Prices were average, I got a 32oz of Blue Moon for $8, so I guess that's not bad given the somewhat upper class location of the bar.

Anyway on to the actual rappers, the first guy was laughably bad. He came out to beat compromised of snares, hi-hats, and a rampant Lil B sample. He then proceeded rap over other artists' beats including those by No Limit, Cash Money, and some Lex Luger generic sounding instrumentals. He looked Wiz Khalifa, sporting a large fitted, skinny jeans that somehow still drooped low enough to showcase all of his boxers, and a random hypebeast shirt with loud colors and wacky type. He kind of sounded like Lil'B if he lost all of his humor actually wrote all of his Based freestyles down. I knew I was going to be able to see shit if I didn't get close so I made my way to the front row slowly but surely.

The next rapper was Deniro Farrar, who I happen to be a big fan of, but the crowd kind of ruined it for me. There were a couple of guys shouting Nigger rather than Nigga in a loud condescending way every time the rapper uttered the word, which happened to be tragically consistent in seemingly every verse. He also resorted to entirely too much call and response, and you could hear his pre-recorded in the backround almost creating a ghosting effect throughout his set. Deniro had really good energy, but honestly nothing seemed to be mixed right. The vocals were way too loud, so much that you could barely hear the often stelllar production, and he neglected numerous requests to perform his hyper tracks like Big Tookie, opting rather to go for these conscious thug confessionals about having the trap to make it out of the hood, murder regret, being a father, etc. After his set he came into the crowd to show us some love and scooped three of the finest black chicks at the venue and took them to the back to hang out with him.

Of course there was a long ass interim before Danny came out, which was pretty annoying, but when his DJ Skwlkr came out everyone got so turnt up! He also played the hypest mix ever consisting of trap music interwove in between hood anthems like Work, Hard in the Paint, Hannah Montana, Bando, etc. Danny finally came out with his cousin and fellow rapper Dopehead wearing these long as shirt/robes that made them look like urban mad scientists. Dopehead turned out to be an amazing hypeman and even performed one his solo songs flawlessly in the middle of the set. I think the first song was Molly Ringwald. It got so hype, but again the fans just were assholes. They were these cute girls in the front row that were really chill that were just dancing and were cool with me occasionally bumping into them every now that eventually got forced out of their position by violent drunk assholes that confuse dancing and moshing with aggravated assault. They smelled like shit, and all thought they deserved to be in front. The venue just seemed overbooked and there happened to be a bunch of racists, mysognists, and idiots in the crowd. Danny went to perform all of his hype songs including Monopoly, Blunt After Blunt, Dope Song, Dip, Break It, Bruiser Brigade, Kush Coma. The set seemed really similar to the one he did almost a year ago sporting the same transition from Blunt After Blunt into Kusha Coma and ending with Dip. Danny even smoked a joint before the start of Blunt After Blunt just as he did when I saw him originally. He was probably about 3/4s just as hype, which is twice as hype as your average rap performer, but he smiled a bit less, and didn't engage in as much banter with the crowd. I could definitely see the wear and tear of his profilic touring sessions painted all of his face and within his eyes.

Overall 3/5

JohnDoe

Banned
....y'all are really stretching this Jhene thing far huh? Pretty elaborate characterizations for just another industry chick getting love for being in this space. Nothing specific to her character/how pretty she is relative to other chicks in the industry or jump offs in general.

Every female that gets into the industry has men flock to her because she's not another bird they're smashing left and right. Jhene just has some momentum. I don't get where the rest of the assumptions are coming from really, aside from maybe jealousy lol

why should i be jealous of jhene breh?

Esch

Banned
Like an Anna Kendricks type chick? I could see that. I remember disagreeing with you on this point, and arguing that type of chick would be too "average" to attract an audience because women seem to prefer the hyper sexual, ridiculous female rapper tropes (Lil Kim, Foxy Brown, Nicki Minaj. Basically unless you're a once in a generation talent (Lauryn Hill) chicks are not looking for a regular pop rapper.

But the more I think about it...I think you're right. A chick with awkward lyrics about self doubt, being afraid to ask guys out, dissing losers, etc. Also, preachy like Macklemore. Jimmy Iovinne probably has someone like this in his basement right now, just waiting for the right time to set her loose.

You might be right about the tropes as it relates to rappers, but I feel like there is a female audience today often identify with the goofy, downtoearth type chick. At least as far as TV goes. Look at Girls, New Girl, all that type shit. It just hasn't transferred over to the rap game yet. I literally mean like a female J.Cole or Kanye dude. The type of chick that wears 'natural' makeup, down to earth raps with a little more TLC type swag, maybe like you said throw in some social consciousness raps. She'd have the game on smash, especially if she had some decent barhz.

EDIT: she would basically be appealing to males in a similar way that Drake appeals to females.

JohnDoe

Banned
Of the dudes smashing/taking her out to McDonalds/being close friends with Jhene.

You are better at arguing than this. I wasn't even making fun of the dudes who actually get to smash her.

Edit:

Been listening to Operation: Doomsday all day today. Once again I am reminded it's the second best DOOM album (madvillainy being the best)
so good brehs.

bound to go three plat, came to destroy
it's the intricate plot of a b-boy strapped

Dereck

You are better at arguing than this. I wasn't even making fun of the dudes who actually get to smash her.

Edit:

Been listening to Operation: Doomsday all day today. Once again I am reminded it's the second best DOOM album (madvillainy being the best)
so good brehs.

bound to go three plat, came to destroy
it's the intricate plot of a b-boy strapped
I recently took a liking to The Finest

I went back and revisted Food & Liquor II, and while it isn't bad god damn it's hard to get through with the plodding choruses.

Esch

Banned

Not sure why you're up in arms, but who's to say dudes aren't running through her left and right? That happens in the industry too, or so some like to claim.

Why does Jhene Aiko even have momentum, apart from being TDE affiliated and her appearance? It ain't her music's writing or skill technically. It's image. Nothing wrong with discussing that. Plus, it was half tongue in cheek on my side anyway.

JohnDoe

Banned
I thought the occasional hard truth mixed with fuckery always was a part of gaf-hop.

Admit it brehs, you are secretly simping for jhene, smh

It's true that Jhene's voice isn't the strongest out there but Coachella was causing havoc with a lot of people's voices so to judge her live performance off that isn't the greatest way to measure her. For comparison, same song live, recorded from a crowd but this time from a show on Drake's tour last year.

She's attractive, writes her own shit, and her content easily works for hooks and guest verses for love song tracks. She worked with the right people at the right time and gained visibility. That's about it.

Why does Jhene Aiko even have momentum, apart from being TDE affiliated and her appearance? It ain't her music's writing or skill technically. It's image. Nothing wrong with discussing that. Plus, it was half tongue in cheek on my side anyway.

She grew up with one of the dudes from B2K and toured with them as an opening act. Then she signed to No I.D.'s label. Mix that with the TDE affiliation and there you go.

Esch

Banned
She grew up with one of the dudes from B2K and toured with them as an opening act. Then she signed to No I.D.'s label. Mix that with the TDE affiliation and there you go.

That and her Drake collab

anyway im trying to listen to some hip hop, friends

http://plug.dj/gaf-hop/

iGIfdJT6zivtT.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Not sure why you're up in arms, but who's to say dudes aren't running through her left and right? That happens in the industry too, or so some like to claim.

I'm not upset about anything, it's just super weird reading PD and John Doe's posts when you can pretty much muster up the same thing for any other industry chick and not even specifically for whatever archetype people are setting for her. Rappers will try to trap any chick in the game, its nothing new or specific to a girl with a warmer, homely image like Jhene, or even whatever constitutes a "shallow" rapper. Seems overanalytical.

She has crazy momentum, c'mon lets not argue the obvious. She's been on singles with and associated with multiple high profile, young hip-hop artists and has been buzzing for alleged romantic relationships with Gambino and Drake. Over a million instagram followers too.

cdyhybrid

God damnit. I'm getting a strong urge to jump back into Skyrim, but the engine is so shit that it CTDs within 5 minutes of firing it up with all the mods I want to use (and I've done my due diligence and more when it comes to modding).

Also, this stuff is good:

FKC5X3w.jpg

mooooose

ghost is most consistent on OB4CL but all his projects have at least 1 career highlight worthy song (especially supreme clientele). supreme clientele is long and inconsistent, tho i love it.

OB4CL > ironman > bulletproof wallets > SC > ghost deini > fishscale = more fish (basically shakey dog vs alex lol) > 12 reasons to die > big doe > pretty toney (run is GOAT tho)

as for wu projects, ob4cl is my favorite. liquid swords is probably the best tho. ironman is great, SC is dope, so is bulletproof. return to 36 chambers is underrated. tical is ok but dated. if blackout counts, that is dope as fuck

also, not a wu solo and really not very wu at all, but 6 feet deep is an underrated classic

HiResDes

Did anyone post the new Guilty Simpson and Hus Kingpin EP or the new Apollo Brown EP... Or were yall too busy posting about Gambino and Kid Cudi's crop tee?

Yea ob4cl2 is pretty good, 8 out of 10

Tokubetsu

Did anyone post the new Guilty Simpson and Hus Kingpin EP or the new Apollo Brown EP... Or were yall too busy posting about Gambino and Kid Cudi's crop tee?

Yea ob4cl2 is pretty good, 8 out of 10

You can keep any new Guilty Simpson music to yourself.

The Apollo sampler just made me hungrier for the album. I've already been listening to The Answer non-stop since he dropped it a while back. One of my favorite beats this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom