• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
Lol a at moose mentioning bulletproof wallets without amending that you need the og secret version. Cmon son. The album cut itself is mostly a disappointment

thabiz

artworks-000076263152-vemuuw-t500x500.jpg

The UN - UN Or U Out

first-ever reissue out today.

Esch

Banned
I haven't willingly listened to him since I bought that horrible album he did with Madlib. One flow, one note trash rapper. He's good in bursts, like on Russian Roulette. But that's about it.

Facts only. The internet hype amongst rym type dudes for black milk, guilty, fat ray shit was so nuts in the 00s. Remember that Random Axe album in 2011? Nope, neither does anyone else.

DominoKid

Facts only. The internet hype amongst rym type dudes for black milk, guilty, fat ray shit was so nuts in the 00s. Remember that Random Axe album in 2011? Nope, neither does anyone else.

I chuckle every time i scroll past the Black Milk albums in my itunes

Esch

Banned
I chuckle every time i scroll past the Black Milk albums in my itunes

the funniest thing is how it all got hyped up as real hip hop, true art etc but in reality? Most of that shit is about as disposable as Soulja Boy mixtapes and none of it holds up post 2009.

PlayDat

I'm still not all that familiar with the Wu's discography myself. The first album I listened to was Liquid Swords about 2 years ago. I didn't dig it at first but gave it another shot a few months later and started loving it. Still my favorite of three Wu-Tang albums I've listened to (The others being Enter the Wu-Tang and OB4CL).

I don't like OB4CL all that much though. It's too long and I actually dislike the production on some of the songs (Can it be All to Simple (remix or the original) and Rainy Dayz most notably). My least favorite song on LS is Cold World because of the singing and I think it's the same reason here.

Glaciers of Ice, Verbal Intercourse, Guillotine and Ice Cream are all awesome tracks.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I used to listen to Wu obsessively, especially that first run of RZA-produced solo albums. If I had to choose a favorite, it would probably be Ironman. Outside of that first run, Fishscale was my shit. But these days I just don't listen to that stuff anymore. Maybe I just burned myself out on it.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I only hate on Jhene, because Tinashe is the one who deserves to blow up.
I used to listen to Wu obsessively, especially that first run of RZA-produced solo albums. If I had to choose a favorite, it would probably be Ironman. Outside of that first run, Fishscale was my shit. But these days I just don't listen to that stuff anymore. Maybe I just burned myself out on it.

Hell yeah. It was SSJ4 RZA on the boards, plus Rae, Capp, and Ghost were incredible.

Nas is currently doing an AMA.

Bishop Nehru is one of his current favourites, Danny Brown lost.

We gonna get a Lost Tapes 2

Damn Nas produced One Mic, didn't eem know that

Esch

Banned

Me too, but I guess I just branched out a lot. Liquid Swords is still the best hip hop album ever though, and I'll always be eternally grateful for them getting me into 90s rap and other shit. They all made classics, but sometimes when I look at the Wu I think that there was more potential there that wasn't accessed, like most of them gave up after one or two albums creatively and they fell apart as a unit.

went back started listening to "krit wuz here" again. his best body of work by far.

Yup.... His later more conscious softer shit is okay, but I miss the energy and confidence on that tape. Save that shit for when you're a few more albums in and a couple years older.

[–]producedbyharald 2 points 6 minutes ago
In one mic you said "Jesus died at age 33, there's 33 shots From twin Glocks, there's sixteen apiece, that's 32 Which means one of my guns was holding 17 27 hit your crew, 6 went into you" what exactly do you mean by that? I understand the math
[–]TheRealNASVerified 4 points 3 minutes ago
whistling noise
permalinkparent

Lol

T Dollarz

Me too, but I guess I just branched out a lot. Liquid Swords is still the best hip hop album ever though, and I'll always be eternally grateful for them getting me into 90s rap and other shit. They all made classics, but sometimes when I look at the Wu I think that there was more potential there that wasn't accessed, like most of them gave up after one or two albums creatively and they fell apart as a unit.

Yep 100% true, they should have had kept the ball rolling plugging out albums for a solid 10 year run. Should've had like double the discography we have now... I think ODB's death fucked things up bad

T Dollarz

I would say KRIT's 4 mixtapes are all about equal for me, love the different vibes on each one. But if I had to pick a favorite it would be Return of 4eva, my first taste of KRIT. I really need that vinyl.

Esch

Banned
Yep 100% true, they should have had kept the ball rolling plugging out albums for a solid 10 year run. Should've had like double the discography we have now... I think ODB's death fucked things up bad
I dont think the problem is quantity like that. Its quality. The Wu is interesting because of their internal history in this respect. Its like they remained and became more insular (letting weed carriers rap and produce heavy) but at the same time went through huge infighting. So they're like... Working together and hating each other more and more. Its not good for the music fam.

They had an amazing run but...

HiResDes

I'm still not all that familiar with the Wu's discography myself. The first album I listened to was Liquid Swords about 2 years ago. I didn't dig it at first but gave it another shot a few months later and started loving it. Still my favorite of three Wu-Tang albums I've listened to (The others being Enter the Wu-Tang and OB4CL).

I don't like OB4CL all that much though. It's too long and I actually dislike the production on some of the songs (Can it be All to Simple (remix or the original) and Rainy Dayz most notably). My least favorite song on LS is Cold World because of the singing and I think it's the same reason here.

Glaciers of Ice, Verbal Intercourse, Guillotine and Ice Cream are all awesome tracks.
Can It all Be So Simple is one of my favorites, so much swag

T Dollarz

Anyways I don't think I gave my rankings...

Liquid Swords > OB4CL >>>> Supreme Clientele > Ironman > Fishscale > Bulletproof Wallets (bootleg version) > OB4CL 2 > Czarface > Tical

The top two are in a class of their own.

Has anyone ever tried taking a stab at listing your TOP Wu Tang songs?

Esch

Banned
Because its competing for supremacy with Supreme Clientele.

Kind of like Reasonable Doubt and The Blueprint.

Or College Dropout and Late Registration.

EDIT: oh on his list lol. Idk.

Esch

Banned
Top Tier:
Liquid Swords
OB4CL
Supreme Clientele
Ironman
Enter the 36

2nd Tier:
Wu Tang Forever
Return to the 36 Chambers
Bulletproof Wallets OG
Tical
Uncontrolled Substance
Blackout
Heavy Mental

3rd Tier:
Grandmasters
Fishscale
Birth of a Prince
OB4CL2
Bobby Digital in Stereo
No Said Date
Dopium
Beneath the Surface
Immobiliarity

Thats all im willing to list off the dome.

Lol a at moose mentioning bulletproof wallets without amending that you need the og secret version. Cmon son. The album cut itself is mostly a disappointment

word, the OG bulletproof wallets is pretty great. the retail version is ass (but I have a soft spot for the released version of never be the same again as opposed to the RZA produced version)

Top Tier:
Liquid Swords
OB4CL
Supreme Clientele
Ironman
Enter the 36

2nd Tier:
Wu Tang Forever
Return to the 36 Chambers
Bulletproof Wallets
Tical
Uncontrolled Substance
Blackout

3rd Tier:
Grandmasters
Fishscale
Birth of a Prince
OB4CL2
Beneath the Surface
Immobiliarity

Thats all im willing to list off the dome.

needs more No Said Date & Dopium, those are 3rd tier at least. I completely agree with the top tier though.

mooooose

You are crazy. It's a great album for the most part

it's an album of decent beats with some great ones, boring raekwon verses thinking he's better than he actually is, and ghost written ghostface verses, most of which are bad, besides gihad, which was already 3 years old by the time the album came out.

10 bricks, new wu, house of flying daggers, and maybe black mozart are the good ones. if you add in the bonus tracks and state of grace and baggage handlers, you have some decent music but it's a huge disappointment compared to the stuff that was coming out of the sessions and the original.

also we will rob you is my rap disappointment of forever. you have a lavish crime tale with rae spitting one of his best verses, GZA in a new lane and killing it, and you put SLICK RICK ON THE HOOK, and don't have him lay a verse, but instead have masta killa lay the WORST verse on maybe any wu song? fuck that

yeah true tho even the retail isn't scust like some shit people prop up as a good ghost release, like apollo kids. the only good songs off that were like 5 years old and in the park with black thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom