• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
It's also kind of weird to use Shakespeare as a comparison point to black music. Why not Maya Angelou, Ellison, Hughes, Baldwin etc. I'm not an English major, but I guess ol William is the standard I suppose.

It's also kind of weird to use Shakespeare as a comparison point to black music. Why not Maya Angelou, Ellison, Hughes, Baldwin etc. I'm not an English major, but I guess ol William is the standard I suppose.

It'd have been cool to use a spectrum of other writers like you said. Even throwing Hemingway up there, my guess is he'd be by DMX.

I get tired of the Hip-Hop and Shakespeare comparison sometimes. It's just a weird way to try to give legitimacy to an art-form that should be acknowledged (and is for the most part) already.

I wrote a couple papers on Rappers in college for English classes though. It was really weird sometimes when some of my professors could get down with Yeezy (One of my professors, would play Can't tell me nothing), but would completely ignore some of the stuff going on in other Rappers.

I tend to find analysis of syllables more interesting than word counts/vocabulary. Technically there are very few rappers who are better than Eminem and Nas when it comes to their broad command of syllables, specifically in relation to the variety of words used. For some nerd wankery:
http://www.rapanalysis.com/2011/03/how-to-appreciate-rap-music-3-is-nas.html
http://www.rapanalysis.com/2014/04/why-eminem-is-rap-jimi-hendrix-rap.html

To me the perfect example of this is Drake's Forever. It's such a blatant display of how pedestrian Drake, Lil Wayne, and Kanye are as rappers when compared to someone on a high level (Eminem).

Eminem's recent problem is that he can't find a way to channel technical complexity into good music. I don't even remember Canibus struggling this much, to be perfectly honest. Whereas Nas has never had a problem in this regard.

Tokubetsu

I tend to find analysis of syllables more interesting than word counts/vocabulary. Technically there are very few rappers who are better than Eminem and Nas when it comes to their broad command of syllables, specifically in relation to the variety of words used. For some nerd wankery:

To me the perfect example of this is Drake's Forever. It's such a blatant display of how pedestrian Drake, Lil Wayne, and Kanye are as rappers when compared to someone on a high level (Eminem).

Eminem's recent problem is that he can't find a way to channel technical complexity into good music. I don't even remember Canibus struggling this much, to be perfectly honest. Whereas Nas has never had a problem in this regard.

You just know PD already had this on file.

C:\Documents\RapDebatePoints\Statistics&Breakdowns

DominoKid

The people that would dedicate the time to writing something like that typically arent familiar w/ black writers to involve in the comparison. I dont blame them though. Just the system that taught them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Damn guess I'm alone on this.

Love that track
Still on that XX hype train doe

I have the original Travi$ Scott version of Sin City on repeat.

EDIT: Derp, fucking KTT

EDIT2: Thank god for KTT

wtt2.png

um.png

8w9uQ.jpg

Esch

Banned
You just know PD already had this on file.

C:DocumentsRapDebatePointsStatistics&Breakdowns
Its always funny to see the big pre mentally written arguments get taken down by some off the top bars from yours truly
troll.png

The people that would dedicate the time to writing something like that typically arent familiar w/ black writers to involve in the comparison. I dont blame them though. Just the system that taught them.
True. It just only makes sense to evaluate things with respect to where they came from IMO. You simply can't use certain aspects of western musical ideals and theory to evaluate hip hop. Just isn't made in from that worldview.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I need something with some KOOL AD energy. Doesn't gotta be him but something similar.

I always wondered why something like this didn't exist, but I guess I wasn't bright enough to google rap analysis. Good links, and good reading.

I wish this was more than a guy with a blog though. Like if someone started a monthly magazine or something that just did technical analysis. Whooo. I'd subscribe.

I always wondered why something like this didn't exist, but I guess I wasn't bright enough to google rap analysis. Good links, and good reading.

I wish this was more than a guy with a blog though. Like if someone started a month magazine or something that just did technical analysis. Whooo. I'd subscribe.

Amen. It definitely itches that rap nerd spot of me in all the right ways. I enjoy a wide variety of non technical stuff and can vibe to a good Chief Keef song as easy as I can vibe to a song by The Roots, but sometimes I need to talk about things on the nerdiest, most technical level. Feels good man.

That Nas analysis up there makes me sad. Dude should have more great albums :(

The Eminem one was similarly depressing because he still has staggering technical skill, but he just can't reel it in to make good songs anymore.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's more important to use figures everybody knows to make it relatable. Using other Black writers would just make it a racial thing, and hip-hop is not just Black music.

The vocab analysis is really cool for what it is, I just don't really agree with the analyses. First 35,000 words for artists at varying stages of their career means you could potentially get a lot of overlap from stuff like street singles, and mixtape stuff that may/may not be the best representation of their work. It's still cool, don't get me wrong, but yeah, can't pull much from it because of the large margin of error.

Esch

Banned
It's more important to use figures everybody knows to make it relatable. Using other Black writers would just make it a racial thing, and hip-hop is not just Black music.
I don't know what this means. Hip hop is a form of modern black american music, and it makes more sense to compare it to things from that culture instead of an old english poet.

The vocab analysis is really cool for what it is, I just don't really agree with the analyses. First 35,000 words for artists at varying stages of their career means you could potentially get a lot of overlap from stuff like street singles, and mixtape stuff that may/may not be the best representation of their work. It's still cool, don't get me wrong, but yeah, can't pull much from it because of the large margin of error.

Obviously this analysis doesn't mean shit, I agree.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't know what this means. Hip hop is a form of modern black american music, and it makes more sense to compare it to things from that culture instead of an old english poet.
I don't agree that Maya Angelou is a part of modern hip-hop culture, or modern american music culture, which should be the only contexts for comparisons instead of stuff in other media. The Shakespeare/average person thing is only to give people an idea of what vocabulary ranges are like elsewhere, and are okay to mention, but shouldn't be on the scale.

Esch

Banned
I don't agree that Maya Angelou is a part of modern hip-hop culture, or modern american music culture, which should be the only contexts for comparisons instead of stuff in other media. The Shakespeare/average person thing is only to give people an idea of what vocabulary ranges are like elsewhere, and are okay to mention, but shouldn't be on the scale.
...She is a part of modern black american culture, same as hip hop.

And if you're gonna use Shakespeare as an arbitrary comparison point of range, why not just use the dictionary?

probably because Canibus would win

And if you're gonna use Shakespeare as an arbitrary comparison point of range, why not just use the dictionary?

If we're using modern black culture writers that academia could get down with, then Toni Morrison would probably be the best choice. Scholars love her works.

I also think using somebody like Ralph Ellison would be a great decision.

As far as non-black writers. Using people like William Faulkner, Cormac McCarthy and as I said before, Hemingway would be an interesting comparison for Hip-Hop's place in American culture. I did like how they put Moby Dick in there.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
That Nas analysis up there makes me sad. Dude should have more great albums :(

The Eminem one was similarly depressing because he still has staggering technical skill, but he just can't reel it in to make good songs anymore.
Dunno. It feels like he's just trying to make songs that appeal more towards the mainstream radio audience.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I disagree that hip-hop culture = black american culture, that's exactly another comparison you want to try to avoid because its a false generalization, even if they share a lot of components. By the same token, that's exactly why I say you should avoid trans-media comparisons. Why would you compare the vocabulary of songs, which have 3-4 repeated chorus segments to less repetitive forms of writing? Makes no sense.

Shakespeare is used as an arbitrary comparison because he is an actual person, obviously. And one that is well known and relatable at that.

Shakespeare is used as an arbitrary comparison because he is an actual person, obviously. And one that is well known and relatable at that.

Generally Shakespeare is still considered the standard. Most professors of literature are so specialized nowadays that they rarely venture outside of the topics they're teaching or writing about. So going back to Shakespeare is often used as a unifying factor, cause everyone's gotta read him as an undergrad at the very least.

Esch

Banned
I disagree that hip-hop culture = black american culture, that's exactly another comparison you want to try to avoid because its a false generalization, even if they share a lot of components. By the same token, that's exactly why I say you should avoid trans-media comparisons. Why would you compare the vocabulary of songs, which have 3-4 repeated chorus segments to less repetitive forms of writing? Makes no sense.

At this point im more interested in how you think hip hop is not a black american culture. By all means, explain.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
At this point im more interested in how you think hip hop is not a black american culture. By all means, explain.
You can consider it part of Black American culture, however it is not Black American culture. I don't think I need to explain that, generalization meter is completely off the charts if you agree with the latter. And I certainly think you can't equate the two either.

DominoKid

for better or worse modern black american culture and hip-hop go hand in hand. it doesn't define it but i'm not gonna act like it isn't by far the most prominent representation of black culture.

It's going to be a six part series. So I'll keep posting them.

Looking forward to it. It's definitely fun to read an analytical perspective of the genre from someone within the industry, the only issue I have with it is it's a little disingenuous to place the blame of the direction of hip-hop squarely on the shoulders of mainstream artists. Decisions over what major label artists produce also take place at an executive level, and at that level decisions are made solely for the purpose of selling records. You can blame the lack of integrity among mainstream hip-hop artists just as much as you can blame the inevitable dilution that occurs within American consumer capitalism.

PlayDat

I really appreciate what the writer's doing here but I don't like that he didn't catch the way Eminem is actually mimicing Jamaican patois in those lyrics and I'm far from a stan btw.

LOL at Em spoiling the shit out of The Wire like that though. I've never actually heard that song before.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm referring to this.

Looking forward to it. It's definitely fun to read an analytical perspective of the genre from someone within the industry, the only issue I have with it is it's a little disingenuous to place the blame of the direction of hip-hop squarely on the shoulders of mainstream artists. Decisions over what major label artists produce also take place at an executive level, and at that level decisions are made solely for the purpose of selling records. You can blame the lack of integrity among mainstream hip-hop artists just as much as you can blame the inevitable dilution that occurs within American consumer capitalism.

Agreed. Hopefully he goes into that. I don't know if he's necessarily blaming it or more as acknowledging the part they play in it. I guess we'll have to see where he goes with that thought in part 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom