• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
not gonna lie, lovebug starski was a name biggie referenced for me until i went back on shit - that history of hip hop graphic novel helped

I love bouncing back to the OG cats and hearing it, and then listening to newer songs and listening to that progression.

Even just starting from Boogie Down and Juice Crew and going to modern times is crazy but it extends so much further than that

Esch

Banned
Even still, whenever I see rappers asked this question, or some of the older artists who their GOATs are, they vary considerably in who they feel the founding fathers are. There's way too many influential figures to narrow down 4, especially considering you have to consider moguls, rappers, and producers.

Do you include Sugar Hill Gang? How about Melle Mel? What about Run DMC? That's 3 already and I'm sure you can think of 20 others that have had just as big of an impact (like Baambataa), and probably through multiple eras too. Someone huge is always gonna get snubbed, that's why it comes down to GOAT lists most of the time.
I'm not saying subjectivity isn't a factor. I just think that you have to go far far back to line things up right as far as the significance I as an American attribute to the monument. It's a silly mental exercise anyway

Esch

Banned
not gonna lie, lovebug starski was a name biggie referenced for me until i went back on shit - that history of hip hop graphic novel helped
Yup. I went back and checked out the Cold Crush, Kurtis Blow, etc based on rapper references.. Great use of a few weeks.

coldvein

Banned
so many of my co-workers and peers super stokes to see the a$ap boys at our local music fest.

so much disappointment waiting to happen.

DeadTsar

well this Dream Team thing finally reached hip hop.

No 808 Mafia or Mike Will? Out

Cheddahz

Banned
holy fuck, nintendo killed it and i think devil's third looks dope (looks like a faster peace walker), buy my god, zelda, bayonetta 2, and x were beautiful

IrishNinja

*fistbump cheddaz* also Grim Fandango coming back was really cool to see, still one of my favorite PC games of all time. if anyone here digs noir, don't sleep.

Cheddahz

Banned
*fistbump cheddaz* also Grim Fandango coming back was really cool to see, still one of my favorite PC games of all time. if anyone here digs noir, don't sleep.

Just the fact that Grim Fandango is gonna be playable on the Vita makes me happy, so I don't have to buy the PS4 (just to play it)

Anyways, I think this E3 was dope. We're getting a remake of Phantom Dust, Scalebound (which is being made by the almighty Platinum), Grim Fandango (seriously, if you haven't played this yet, play it!) and we're getting a bunch of cool ass Wii U games (and now if for some reason you didn't play Bayonetta 1, you'll be able to play it with the lovely Wii U Pro Controller now)

yeah, this E3 was dope as fuck (and Irish, you should add me on the Wii U whenever you have the chance, my Nintendo name is Cheddahz)

Esch

Banned
so nice of bethesda and team ico to give creatively bankrupt nintendo inspiration for their next washed up iteration of everyone's favorite androgynous elf
jbjfyKuNauhSK.png

IrishNinja

yeah, this E3 was dope as fuck (and Irish, you should add me on the Wii U whenever you have the chance, my Nintendo name is Cheddahz)

heading to work soon man, ill add you tonight! my ID is in my profile too.

and yeah Bayo 1 bundled with 2 was pretty smart. Mario Maker could be fun, LBP taught me most user generated content is trash but i'm gonna keep an eye on that one, me & my boys spent forever on Mario Paint in the day, shit could be fun.

X looks tight but i never got around to Xenoblade, its one of my rainy-day JRPGs (plus i was holding out just in case they did an HD one, no dice). pretty good e3 all around tho.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
so nice of bethesda and team ico to give creatively bankrupt nintendo inspiration for their next washed up iteration of everyone's favorite androgynous elf
jbjfyKuNauhSK.png

what's funny is that style of gameplay would fundamentally break what people loved about the progression style of Zelda for the last two decades and people will fucking HATE it. Nintendo fucked themselves so many years ago with no sort of evolution or willingness to change that they can't change now without capsizing the boat with it's devoted fanbase.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Outside of EA's conference, E3 had pretty good-to-great conferences. I have different complaints about each of the conferences. Everybody brought their shit, whether it was Crackdown, The Division, Splatoon or Destiny or whatever. Coming out of this E3 I feel like I might need all of the consoles.

Furyous

LOL Where's this from?

I'm psyched for Future Hendrix and this new MGK album.

Is it me or is Hot 97 having a rough week?

Combat Jack has arguably the best hip-hop podcast going now and gets better every week. Allegedly, Dallas Penn won't return, in my opinion. Combat needs to interview Beanie Sigel, Lyor Cohen, and Currensy so we can get to the bottom of the Dame Dash interview.

Speaking of State Prop, it took them too long to get their heads together. Freeway got it from day one. The rest of the crew needed life shit to calm them down. I'm not partying off real life situations that occurred to them but wondering what a fully focused State Prop could've done.

Waka is trolling with his mixtape title. He's proved he can rap. He's very professional as evidenced by his brief words to Method Man. Meth sent a little jab his way and Waka responded respectfully. I think it was something to the effect of Meth is a legend and thanks for mentioning me. Matter of fact, here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi0MHeLcT5c

*EDIT*

Not to be a fanboy but Sony won E3. They announced exclusives this year. They had playable games and great multi plats. Outside of 25 minutes the whole conference was great.

Esch

Banned
what's funny is that style of gameplay would fundamentally break what people loved about the progression style of Zelda for the last two decades and people will fucking HATE it. Nintendo fucked themselves so many years ago with no sort of evolution or willingness to change that they can't change now without capsizing the boat with it's devoted fanbase.

Nah, they'll be fine as long as there's enough whimsy. Regular people rarely care enough about gameplay tbh, if the aesthetics get nailed then they will love it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've only listened to select episodes of Combat Jack, but I don't think him or other hosts are great at probing conversation or challenging artists. Rosenberg is just a tiny bit better at that, but of course Juan Ep isn't regular.

KH = scust tho

also for real bethesda only inspires people with time on they hands to finish they games for em

That FFXV too.

Can't believe they announced that fucking game in 2006 and I'm still waiting for that shit. Smh

People still give two shits about Kingdom Hearts 3?

Gonna be game of the decade if it releases
this decade.

Devil's Third is the worst looking video game i've seen since 2005.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxsjM5BNj2U

lmao the fuck is this? A PS2 game?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Nah, they'll be fine as long as there's enough whimsy. Regular people rarely care enough about gameplay tbh, if the aesthetics get nailed then they will love it.

well thank god nintendos fanbase is that lost... oh well.

Devil's Third is the worst looking video game i've seen since 2005.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxsjM5BNj2U

that's some of the stupidest shit I've seen since the first kane and lynch (no hate for the second one though, that one was legit cool).

Dallas Penn leaving the Combat Jack show? Is that true? If so it seems like a corporate move.

Outside of the Dame interview I haven't listened to Combat in ages. I need to go back and listen to the Roc Marciano interview from last year, among others. I'm glad Combat is doing his thing though. BTW he made an account on The Coli and posted today :eek:

Combat is definitely an "old head" but he clearly likes a lot of new music as well.

I've only listened to select episodes of Combat Jack, but I don't think him or other hosts are great at probing conversation or challenging artists. Rosenberg is just a tiny bit better at that, but of course Juan Ep isn't regular.
You think so? Most of the time I listen to Combat Jack the artist are talking about things you normally wouldn't ever hear them talk about on radio stations or Juan epstein. Like the Scarface one was pretty great hearing about him just going nuts over Pink Floyd plus having him play guitar on the podcast. The Foxy Brown one was great too, she was out of her mind on that shit lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom