• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Every ingredient is whatever if you don't prepare it wtf, you'd think a desi would understand this.
I know quite a few people that eat avocados just like that. Both of my parents do. Good for your heart or circulation or something, right?

Actually, I haven't really heard of people putting avocados into anything else. yeshrug

EDIT: Nardwuar vs. Yung Lean !

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I put some slices on top of my egg scramble or mash em up and whip the avacados into some pasta and serve with some diced tomatoes and light seasoning of pepper.

Courage

His response

C2xkH.png

HiResDes

Avocado is the most overrated relish in the world. It just makes things taste more bland and when overripe as they often are, it ruins the texture of foods as well. Guacamole is only good when there's a bunch of other shit mixed in to compensate for the Avocados mushy blandness. And sushi chefs that throw that shit on every roll deserve to be thrown in the bushes

Esch

Banned
This entire avocados are bland thing reminds me of when I watched a mind of a chef episode where owners of the Joe Beef restaurant were talking about how they had to invent a foie gras double down because Yelpers/food bloggers were calling their food too conventional and boring. They were hypothesizing that because we've all been exposed to so much (and this applies to everyone posting in this topic) hyper flavored, sugared, and salted food that we generationally crave stronger and more intense flavors. I think the phrase was "grew up with mountain dew and taco bell". It makes some sense to me, because older folks I know tend to eat and be satisfied with simpler dishes. And all the post 1980s USA kids minus the PhoenixDarks and CountBlackules of the world love to try different and strange things, as far as my personal experience. At the same time, I reckon you could say that's due to an uptick in culinary interest in the last few years. Either way, I think there's something to be said for subtlety.

IrishNinja

oh man we had an avacadoe tree growing up, and my warlock doberman would eat them up & they'd give him the shiniest coat, but also gas so bad he'd let one & go then leave the room offended

take that as you will

CRS

This entire avocados are bland thing reminds me of when I watched a mind of a chef episode where owners of the Joe Beef restaurant were talking about how they had to invent a foie gras double down because Yelpers/food bloggers were calling their food too conventional and boring. They were hypothesizing that because we've all been exposed to so much (and this applies to everyone posting in this topic) hyper flavored, sugared, and salted food that we generationally crave stronger and more intense flavors. I think the phrase was "grew up with mountain dew and taco bell". It makes some sense to me, because older folks I know tend to eat and be satisfied with simpler dishes. And all the post 1980s USA kids minus the PhoenixDarks and CountBlackules of the world love to try different and strange things, as far as my personal experience. At the same time, I reckon you could say that's due to an uptick in culinary interest in the last few years. Either way, I think there's something to be said for subtlety.
I bet the avocado haters would hate the food that would come out of René Redzepi's Noma restaurant, smh.

Also, love Mind of a Chef. I wish Season 2 was on Netflix.

HiResDes

Not gonna lie I'd never pay full price to eat those wack ass dishes at Noma that consist of a sliver of reindeer moss and or two pieces of fried pork belly.

But then again I hate MCHG and am a well known classist

Not gonna lie I'd never pay full price to eat those wack ass dishes at Noma that consist of a sliver of reindeer moss and or two pieces of fried pork belly.

Bruh one of the best meals I've ever had consisted of this dish.

Wild Brook Trout Roe buried beneath a savory lemon custard, sunflower seed granola, raw snap peas and an ice made from their shells, extra virgin sunflower seed oil, frozen yogurt powder, dried meringue made from lemon thyme, tender pea vines, baby onion bulbs brined in vinegar.
Sometimes you gotta drop a few bucks and try something that you'd never have otherwise.

Esch

Banned

Well, that's a bit reductive I guess and of course the wonder of capitalism is that you spend your resources as you see fit but... You can't really get the food you get there anywhere else, it's a unique experience. Also, places like Noma, El Bulli, Momofuku may charge a lot, but in my opinion it's somewhat justified. A lot of these places are also like research academies for food. As you see with Noma they're experimenting heavily with farming and preservation techniques. El Bulli heavily innovates in molecular gastronomy, etc. If you view cuisine as an art and a part of culture that has progressed through time, you need an intelligentsia to progress it. And they in turn require a landed gentry (the rich who can fund it). If you don't care about that, fine and all. If you do, what's the left/'egalitarian' solution? A national food academy who distributes technology and knowledge?

*jackdonaghyavatarquote*

First off, avacados are dope wtf, how are we gonna have a real conversation where people don't like avacados

There's still room for subtlety. You see it in seafood fare, especially sashimi, nigiri, base fish plates, etc. And in health-targeted and eco-conscious foods; your grass feed beef burgers, free range chicken dishes, or vegan plates. I mostly associate the overpowering flavor scene with foodtrucks and fad foods that blow up quickly (e.g the cronut). Culinary areas that need to display oneupsmanship to standout and generate lines in a crowded area. And it's fun to have that super over the top lane open, and can lead to some legit creative dishes.

So I interpret the complaint you highlighted from Joe Beef a bit different. A lot of traditionally good, competent, well planned menus are bland, simply because our generation can pinpoint the BEST culinary execution of each individual dish in a city. I know where to find the best crepes, I know where to find the second best crepes, I know where to find the not-top-five-but-sentimentally-awesome crepes. So if you aren't making some real bomb ass crepes...yeah you better come with a gimmick. You better add a double down w/ foie gras. Because it's unlikely I'm going to circle back to the 30th best foie gras in the city otherwise. I can get that anywhere. It's boring and bland if it's not among the best or presented with a new twist. To the same point, fad foods, "extreme combinations", and fusion restaurants die out real fast. So is that really where people want to take their repeat business?
fuck foie gras tho

That isn't to say I disagree with your overall point, our palette is definitely less sensitive today. Especially with regard to spice. There's no way your average guy off the street was ordering his ramen and curry at 6/7 spice twenty, thirty years ago. Shit, there's no way you could hand an IPA or a lot of the more popular stouts to that same person and not have them cough it up. I just don't think it means the end of subtlety and that a lot of problems chefs and restaurateurs have are more related to how intense the competition is and how ridiculously hard it is to overcome Yelp, OpenTable, Urbanspoon, Google Places, etc with regard to rankings. I mean your average foodie's wet dream is a seat at Jiro's and that's as far from a punch in the face flavor wise as it gets.

-----

SO CAL BUSINESS, RED BULL PRESENTS

-----

FREE TOKIMONSTA SHOW THIS SATURDAY @ 10 PM

LOCATION TBA, RSVP FAST:

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/music/events/1331588308888/rbma-this-city-belongs-to-me

cacophony

GAF-Hop Discusses:
• Rank Kanye's albums:
• Who is the best Wu-Tang member?
• Jay Z or Nas?
• Biggie or Pac?
• Your stance on avocados?

Cudder

craft dogs is AWESOME. i go all the time. right around the corner from home.

just got back. got the chicago dog with fries. shit was amazing, will be going back there for sure. cool little place, they make everything from scratch there, even their sodas.

ib2ltMkEhMhKqo.gif

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
GAF-Hop Discusses:
• Rank Kanye's albums: better than everyone elses albums
• Who is the best Wu-Tang member?one of them
• Jay Z or Nas?ask frank ocean, I aint about that life.
• Biggie or Pac?see above.
• Your stance on avocados?I use to like his early stuff, but I feel hes become to main stream now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom