• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Poll: Would you pay $300 for a PSP?

Auron

No way. I would probably buy it at $200 if SquareEnix supports it. If there's no SquareEnix though, there's no reason to own one.

nope not at 300$, and at 200$ maybe if there's plenty of good games for it. Then again my lifestyle doesn't create many opportunities to play a handheld.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
No.

I'm very interested in the device, but there are other things I'd rather spend money on. Maybe someday, though...

beerbelly

Banned
No. Too pricey. It looks very sexy but I personally cannot play 3D games in small screens. It makes me naucious. If they have a bunch of good looking 2D games, with longer battery life AND at $99, I would buy it.

Wulfer

HAHA this poll is a joke and Sony better listen. No BLEED no sale. The the state the PSP is in it'd be lucky to sale at $249...

If enough games and movies come out to warrant the purchase, yeah sure.
I definately WON'T buy on launch day or anywhere near then.

I guess they've built this hardware to last then? I'll buy it later when its cheaper, more than likely.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
u_neek said:
Someone should send a mail to Sony with a link to this thread...
For it to be useful to them, you'd also want everyone to include their annual income at the very least, and maybe age :)

Salary: $18,880 approx per annum (pre-tax)
Likelyhood of buying PSP: things above PSP on my to-buy list include iTrip, an electric piano and driving lessons. Oh and a Nintendo DS. But none of these have anything to do with the fact that I refuse to put this kind of money aside for a toy I will use on the train, or while I'm off the office floor pretending to take a ****.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Lost Weekend said:
I could not, would not on a train
I could not, would not on a plane
For one, price is too steep for me
For two, let's just say 'battery'

:lol

They'd have to have FF7 remake, SOTN remake and have more Squeenix shit and Castlevania shit out while its price was $300 to make me buy it at that price-point.
I'd probably get one eventually, but I'm feeling it will be under similar circumstances to my Wonderswan, and NGPC.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
depends on the software and the state of the gba release schedule. i want a psp at some point, but $300 is a bit steep, and i can stand to wait.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
no.

although tempting, the thing just oozes sex and the games look terrific thus far, thats just a bit much for me to spend on something i'd likely get very little play from. i've never been much of a hand held gamer... the tech junkie in me wants it bad, so maybe if the price dropped sub 199 i would get one. though honestly, by that time xenon should be out or nearly out, and that would easily consume all my gaming time and dollars.

by the way, any estimation omn the price of the games? 50?

Ristamar

No. I'd have a hard time spending $300 on a home console, let alone a portable one. As others have mentioned, $200 would make it more tempting.

kernel

Yes.

But no preorder. I don't want any from the first batch. I'll wait at least 90 days.

edit: The price seemed scary until i saw reviews of "Portable Media Centers" in PC Magazine. All those things do is let you transfer music, recorded tv shows, and pictures from your PC. ~$500 is what they're asking for these things. PSP now looks like a bargain at $300.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1641714,00.asp

For the most part, I'm not a portable gaming fan, so the obvious answer is no.

The only way I'll consider getting one, even at a $100 pricepoint, is if it has a good number of games that pique my interest. I won't be even mildly interested until those 2 conditions are met.

Nope, since I'm guessing support will wane should the DS take off as the next iteration in the GB line (even if Nintendo wants to claim it's something else). And I reason that that is pretty likely.

However, if I've learned anything from the games industry in the past decade or two, it's that anything can, and indeed often does, happen.

aoi tsuki

Definitely not. In all fairness to the PSP, i'm not certain it'll sell for $300 in the US, and they still haven't talked much about music, movies, WiFi, and any other special uses/features of the device all that much. But i doubt i'd be getting it next year with new consoles on the horizon.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Vieo said:
For $300USD? No way!

For $300, I could add like $100 more and get a GeForce 6800 GT!

You're right, you could boost framerates on games you've already played a million times!! How exciting! :D

Vieo

You're right, you could boost framerates on games you've already played a million times!! How exciting!

Goes to show how much you know.

My current video card = GeForceFX 5200
I won't be able to play DOOM3, The Sims 2, or Half-Life 2 they were meant to be played.

Seeing as how those are the games I've been wanting to play since the day they've been announced, for me, plunking down $399 on a video card would be a better purchase than a $300 PSP for a handheld version of Tekken.

So, with all due respect...

STFU!@!

Ristamar

dark10x said:
You're right, you could boost framerates on games you've already played a million times!! How exciting! :D

Well, it is kind of exciting if you're coming off of an old and/or shitty card. Nicer textures, smoother framerate, higher resolution, better lighting.... yum.

doncale

Banned
no.

no way. $250 tops. (that's still $267 with tax)

a Sony rep (from SCEE i think, maybe even the SCEE pres) said PSP would cost $200 to $250, so $250 is the most i would be willing to pay.

Sony will have to adjust the price of PSP since Nintendo DS is coming in at $50 less than expected.

Top Bottom