• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFHL Versus League - NHL 13 GM Connected (x360)

Socreges

Banned
So I've just realized there was a 'hustle' button. My God that changes a lot. Just gotta figure out when it's appropriate to press and when to release, as with everything.

Now where's the 'don't let forward skate by you every time' button.

beanman25

You and I have a game (I'm the Kings). Let me know if you want to play tonight.

I'll be down to play after the baseball game ends. We're up in top of 9th, so should be soon.

After it ends, I'll hop online and invite you. If you're in a game or something, just finish and then join. I've got no problem waiting, haha.

Phthisis

So I've just realized there was a 'hustle' button. My God that changes a lot. Just gotta figure out when it's appropriate to press and when to release, as with everything.

Now where's the 'don't let forward skate by you every time' button.

Useful for driving wide around slow defensemen, through the neutral zone to force odd man rushes, and getting to the corner first if your opponent is playing dump and chase.

If you find yourself getting beat a lot, change your forecheck strategy. I recommend either weakside lock in the O zone, and 1-3-1 or 1-4 in the neutral zone. Also change your forecheck bias more towards the neutral zone rather than the opposing blue line, as that will keep your forwards from getting caught deep when your opponent breaks out.

I use a combination of most of these formations since my team has almost no offensive firepower, and I rely on Lundqvist to make key saves when he has to (so far so good) and clog up the neutral zone with my players so that my opponents can't get clean, fast breakouts on me. I also highly recommend staying as a forward and fighting the urge to switch to a defenseman as your opponent is on the rush. The game is good about CPU controlled D forcing the forward to the outside, and if you get back with a forward, you can angle the puck carrier into a place where he has no options so that he has to make a bad pass, or get hit and lose the puck. Backchecking is so key in playing defense in this game, plus if the opposing forward tries to make a move to the inside, it gives your backchecker extra time to get into position to strip him of the puck from behind or take away passing lanes.

beanman25

Phthisis, Sick game! I thought you had me shutout for sure, haha. Doesn't get more thrilling then a penalty shot in OT!

Phthisis

Phthisis, Sick game! I thought you had me shutout for sure, haha. Doesn't get more thrilling then a penalty shot in OT!

Argh! I should have just dumped it down low with under a minute. No reason for me to be dicking around at the blue line like that. Well played. Look forward to the rematch later in the season.

beanman25

Argh! I should have just dumped it down low with under a minute. No reason for me to be dicking around at the blue line like that. Well played. Look forward to the rematch later in the season.

You get some wicked pressure going man, haha. You had me on my toes multiple times.

Looking very much forward to our next matchup!

Socreges

Banned
Useful for driving wide around slow defensemen, through the neutral zone to force odd man rushes, and getting to the corner first if your opponent is playing dump and chase.

If you find yourself getting beat a lot, change your forecheck strategy. I recommend either weakside lock in the O zone, and 1-3-1 or 1-4 in the neutral zone. Also change your forecheck bias more towards the neutral zone rather than the opposing blue line, as that will keep your forwards from getting caught deep when your opponent breaks out.

I use a combination of most of these formations since my team has almost no offensive firepower, and I rely on Lundqvist to make key saves when he has to (so far so good) and clog up the neutral zone with my players so that my opponents can't get clean, fast breakouts on me. I also highly recommend staying as a forward and fighting the urge to switch to a defenseman as your opponent is on the rush. The game is good about CPU controlled D forcing the forward to the outside, and if you get back with a forward, you can angle the puck carrier into a place where he has no options so that he has to make a bad pass, or get hit and lose the puck. Backchecking is so key in playing defense in this game, plus if the opposing forward tries to make a move to the inside, it gives your backchecker extra time to get into position to strip him of the puck from behind or take away passing lanes.
Next time when I keep you to just four goals, you'll wish you hadn't helped me.

A lot of the stuff you mentioned... are you talking about real-time strategy or is it something related to that AI Build stuff? Haven't looked into it yet since I'm overwhelmed by the game as is... but it sounds like it'd be useful.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Next time when I keep you to just four goals, you'll wish you hadn't helped me.

A lot of the stuff you mentioned... are you talking about real-time strategy or is it something related to that AI Build stuff? Haven't looked into it yet since I'm overwhelmed by the game as is... but it sounds like it'd be useful.

It's real-time strategy, you can adjust all the sliders with the left... what's that thing called. bottom left on your controller, those buttons.

Phthisis

It's real-time strategy, you can adjust all the sliders with the left... what's that thing called. bottom left on your controller, those buttons.

You can also adjust before a game as well, when you're on the lineup screen. But yeah, during a game, left on the dpad is defensive pressure, right on the dpad is offensive pressure, up is forecheck strategy, and down is neutral zone strategy.

Socreges

Banned
Thanks a lot, Phthisis. I'm thinking this will help a lot, even the simple idea to let the CPU control the D. I've been schooled by FIFA/PES where you have to do everything yourself.

PBY

Banned
Anyone tryin to play their game against me, Ottawa? I think I have the pens and Boston- send me the invite on xbl

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Still need to play Calgary, Nashville, Rangers, and Colorado. Going to run with the SIM schedule of Thursdays and Sundays, at around 2 am EST.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Good stuff Schuey, somehow pulled out a win while getting out shot, and having less time on attack, Halak is amazing too god damn his glove is magical.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Good stuff Schuey, somehow pulled out a win while getting out shot, and having less time on attack, Halak is amazing too god damn his glove is magical.

Yeah that was fun. Probably the most chances I have had in a game yet. Just couldn't capitalize.

Edit: also, i escaped the game with only Burrows getting injured for 3 games.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Blinding and I had a pretty crazy game. I tied it up (2-2) in the last minute to force OT. Game went to a SO and Blinding took the win on the 4th player. Exciting stuff.

I hope they adjust the penalties at some point, too many hits that should be penalties.

Blinding

Blinding and I had a pretty crazy game. I tied it up (2-2) in the last minute to force OT. Game went to a SO and Blinding took the win on the 4th player. Exciting stuff.

I hope they adjust the penalties at some point, too many hits that should be penalties.

Yeah, I felt bad for abusing the lack of penalties, then again I didn't realize my guys were such heavy hitters. I decided to cap the game winner since it's probably the best thing I'll do in a shootout ever.

Top Bottom