• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFHL Versus League - NHL 13 GM Connected (x360)

Revenant

It was a pretty fair offer. I even think Rev might have gotten a slightly better return on his end than I would have.

p3C7E.gif
p3C7E.gif

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Soc and myself were discussing some scenarios, and the topic of trading future draft picks came up. Seeing as we probably won't get as far as season's such as 2016, I was thinking of placing a cap on the draft picks available for trade. I figured a 2 year cap was reasonable, to preventing people from throwing a bunch of 1st round picks at the CPU and each other that we may never get to actually using. This allows flexibility, while keeping people in check. Let me know what you guys thoughts are, if it should be longer / shorter, etc.

Socreges

Banned
With all this trading, we should have just played with the real rosters.
The idea was to randomize things so that we'd get more balanced teams, versus someone being stuck with Calgary or Columbus. Problem is that we're given imbalances within our own organizations so these first few days are spent sorting that stuff out. I was sick all weekend and could afford to do spend some time trading and such. Won't be the case down the road.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The idea was to randomize things so that we'd get more balanced teams, versus someone being stuck with Calgary or Columbus. Problem is that we're given imbalances within our own organizations so these first few days are spent sorting that stuff out. I was sick all weekend and could afford to do spend some time trading and such. Won't be the case down the road.
We could have balanced the Calgary and Columbus teams, too.

I was planning on leaving my team alone so I could prioritize my weaknesses/strengths. Hopefully, that strategy will pay off. My biggest weakness looks to be goalie with my strength being defense.

DenogginizerOS

How am I 0-2?!? I have only played one game against Smiley.

Looks like Foreign Jackass of the Avalanche played me as a CPU.

DenogginizerOS

Not sure what you mean?

Also curious what this means.

The lesser teams could have made trades to rectify their weaknesses just as the lesser randomized teams are making trades.

I don't have a glaring weakness. My goalies are young, but have potential. My plan was to see how this team performs as a unit before I started making a bunch of trades. I was under the impression that we would play multiple seasons, so building a team with a strong foundation was what I was shooting for, and right now, my team as is has potential to grow, but not likely to be a major force.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
My team is alright. When I played Jackass, Colorado had a half star on every category against me :eek: . Probably didn't help one of my best players was hurt though.

rinse82

Montreal ripped me a new a-hole 6-0 last night

Offense is quite good, did you make some trades or is that just how the cookie crumbled?

Outside of Getzlaf and Neal my offense is struggling.

MacAttack

I dont like the idea of trading draft picks at all. I haven't played GM mode much but I have a feeling 90% of prospects won't be rated in the 80s until 3 or 4 years down the road. I'd like to think we can keep this going that long but there could be some turnover and I think that trading draft picks can screw with the balance of the league. If anything nothing beyond the next seasons draft.

What about doing a new draft every season?

Phthisis

I dont like the idea of trading draft picks at all. I haven't played GM mode much but I have a feeling 90% of prospects won't be rated in the 80s until 3 or 4 years down the road. I'd like to think we can keep this going that long but there could be some turnover and I think that trading draft picks can screw with the balance of the league. If anything nothing beyond the next seasons draft.

Then what's the point of playing GM Connected? The idea of building a team year over year is what's appealing about the mode. If we just randomize the rosters every season, we might as well just played vs. games against each other randomly.

why would we do that? it pretty much defeats the entire purpose of playing this mode

and to Denogg, there has not been a whole lot of trading so far, and I would guess a similar number of trades would happen if we went with the default rosters so I'm not sure why you seem to be against it, its part of running a team.

You are well within your right to just keep the team intact that you have, and I don't think anyone will knock you, although if you do nothing with your personnel I would imagine it will put you at a disadvantage at some point as you will probably need to build a strong team to handle CPU simmed games and also to add more talent to use when you are on the sticks.

Also, regarding your idea of "balancing" crap teams like Calgary and Columbus, I can't even attempt to sugarcoat a response to this, its an absolutely horrible idea.

btw Red_Man, I'm cool with the cap of trading draft picks over 2 years, makes sense

MacAttack

Then what's the point of playing GM Connected? The idea of building a team year over year is what's appealing about the mode. If we just randomize the rosters every season, we might as well just played vs. games against each other randomly.
It would still be a league format where you do trades, keep stats and standings.

Not a big deal I was just throwing it out there.

MacAttack

If we're going through 4 weeks of schedule every week we should be able to get more than 5 seasons in.
I'm going on the understanding that only one or two players per draft will be NHL ready and most other picks will need 2-3 years to develop. Let me know if I'm off base with those projections.

So how valuable is that 2014 draft pick if he can't be useful until the 2016/2017 season? Its not like your going to get the full value of that pick.

My biggest concern is still with trades to the CPU and draft picks. As long as human players understand the value of draft picks the trades will still be fair. There is no way for the computer to take that into account and will value those picks much higher.

Marvie_3

Banned
I'm going on the understanding that only one or two players per draft will be NHL ready and all other picks will need 2-3 years to develop. Let me know if I'm off base with those projections.

So how valuable is that 2014 draft pick if he can't be useful until the 2016/2017 season? Its not like your going to get the full value of that pick.

My biggest concern is still with trades to the CPU and draft picks. As long as human players understand the value of draft picks the trades will still be fair. There is no way for the computer to take that into account and will value those picks much higher.

That's why Red is keeping an eye on trades with the CPU teams.

Red_Man

Montreal ripped me a new a-hole 6-0 last night

Offense is quite good, did you make some trades or is that just how the cookie crumbled?

Outside of Getzlaf and Neal my offense is struggling.
My top 2 lines are pretty balanced, I just got lucky. I mean I have Malkin and Spezza as my 1-2 Center punch. I also played a lllloooootttt of versus in '12. If anyone kind of new to vs mode wants some tips or clarifications on strategies and stuff you can pm me.

As for the trade stuff, CPU trades are very closely monitored, and I'll be posting all of them in here so there is a consensus. So far the only trade with a CPU is Viz's, where he overpaid anyways. I'm going to go ahead and run the schedule forward tonight, so if people want trades to be put into effect for tomorrow get your deals finished by 1 am EST.

Red_Man

Peterb0y and myself just had a sick game. Back and forth and it was 3-2 in the third for Peterb0y when I had a sick give and go with Spezza and scored to tie it up with 47 seconds left. Peterb0y won in OT with a snipe from Marleau. First game where Mason really let me down. Out shot Peterb0y 2-1, GG though, all the goals were sick.

Peterb0y and myself just had a sick game. Back and forth and it was 3-2 in the third for Peterb0y when I had a sick give and go with Spezza and scored to tie it up with 47 seconds left. Peterb0y won in OT with a snipe from Marleau. First game where Mason really let me down. Out shot Peterb0y 2-1, GG though, all the goals were sick.

Reminds me I need to get my game vs the Sens in tonight or tomorrow

Antti

Anyone who has a game scheduled against me for this week, contact me on XBL. I should be online daily. tbnantti is my GT. Bear in mind I'm from Finland, so morning/afternoon games for you US people.

During the weekends I'll be on a lot during the wee hours, so if you can't make it during the week, we can get them out of the way then.

Socreges

Banned
The lesser teams could have made trades to rectify their weaknesses just as the lesser randomized teams are making trades.
No, but those teams are just in a bad way. Few strong players and few strong prospects. They're not in a position to address their weaknesses. Whereas randomizing things means that some teams might be weaker with veterans but stronger with prospects. That way there's balance so things can be shuffled around over time to make a competitive team. And if there are teams that are just flat out much weaker (I haven't noticed this), this plan avoids unfairness in terms of the people coming in last getting the weakest teams. It's all left to chance.

Phthisis

My top 2 lines are pretty balanced, I just got lucky. I mean I have Malkin and Spezza as my 1-2 Center punch. I also played a lllloooootttt of versus in '12. If anyone kind of new to vs mode wants some tips or clarifications on strategies and stuff you can pm me.

As for the trade stuff, CPU trades are very closely monitored, and I'll be posting all of them in here so there is a consensus. So far the only trade with a CPU is Viz's, where he overpaid anyways. I'm going to go ahead and run the schedule forward tonight, so if people want trades to be put into effect for tomorrow get your deals finished by 1 am EST.

I made a trade with the Red Wings last weekend for Trevor Lewis and a minor league D... Did that not come to you in game for approval?

Red_Man

I made a trade with the Red Wings last weekend for Trevor Lewis and a minor league D... Did that not come to you in game for approval?
Pretty sure it came through, it will go into effect once I run the schedule tonight. That was right when we started playing right?

Phthisis

Pretty sure it came through, it will go into effect once I run the schedule tonight. That was right when we started playing right?

Yeah. Just wanted to make sure the game didn't glitch out on me again.

I had a penalty shot when I was playing Socreges yesterday that I scored on, and then the game mysteriously cut back to the player at center ice for another penalty shot, so I just threw it at the net from the red line because I didn't want the game to award me two penalty shot goals (unfair). And when the second shot was saved, we went back to the game and I didn't get credit for my first goal.

I keep finding weird shit like this every time I go into GM Connected.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah. Just wanted to make sure the game didn't glitch out on me again.

I had a penalty shot when I was playing Socreges yesterday that I scored on, and then the game mysteriously cut back to the player at center ice for another penalty shot, so I just threw it at the net from the red line because I didn't want the game to award me two penalty shot goals (unfair). And when the second shot was saved, we went back to the game and I didn't get credit for my first goal.

I keep finding weird shit like this every time I go into GM Connected.
Wasn't against me, I'm pretty sure.

Socreges, you still working on getting that trade done before tonight?
Yes. When do you think you're pushing it forward?

Red_Man

Yes. When do you think you're pushing it forward?
Not until late when everyone's finished playing. So around 2-3 EST. If that other trade you put through needs to go through before this 3 way one, then you'll have to wait for the next schedule period for the first trade to take into effect.
I still have to play Schu, Blind and Antti. I doubt I'll get Antti in tonight, and who knows on Blinding.
You'll have until 2-3 EST, should give you time to get in the games.

Milly79

Nah, probably not haha. Only going to play NHL until 9cst.

May be on a few hours after that again, but I doubt Blind or Schu would be on.

Socreges

Banned
Not until late when everyone's finished playing. So around 2-3 EST. If that other trade you put through needs to go through before this 3 way one, then you'll have to wait for the next schedule period for the first trade to take into effect.
You'll have until 2-3 EST, should give you time to get in the games.
Hmm I don't follow. Why would I need to wait for the next schedule period for the first trade (and not the second or third?) to take effect?

Red_Man

Never mind, I was thinking about it wrong, seeing as you put those are trades through first you should be fine.

PBY

Banned

That was you Red Man? Had no idea, great game, it was a ton of fun.

RS4-

GGs Bad7667, I got lucky on those two 1-on-1 situations lol. Tight checking, didn't have much space to move around.

Server fucked up, not sure if it counted the game.

Top Bottom