• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and now, five extra tracks on the deluxe version:

13. Blue Eyes (deluxe only)
14. Stay Down (deluxe only)
15. Hot Like Fire (deluxe only)
16. Wicked Love (deluxe only)
17. Sky's the Limit (deluxe only)
18. Little Red (Continuous Mix) (deluxe only)

She's already proven her slaying prowess in the UK, now it's time for the US to follow suit. Katy Besus will be 2014's Jessie Ware, tbqh.

YES. I was hoping we would have been able to hear Hot Like Fire and Wicked Love somehow.

cory64

IAmBritneyJean_FB_cover_1_.jpg

Bladenic

Believe.

And honestly, I've said it before and I'll go to my grave saying it: Bionic was not a bad album. Bloated? Maybe. But there are more than enough bops on the album to justify its existance.

Bionic era was where everything went wrong with Xtina's image and public perception, but I honestly think the album itself was only to blame for a tiny fraction of the hate (it was merely the vehicle used to channel the hate). If Christina can put out an album as good as Bionic in 2014, it WILL slay.

And the funny thing is we all know she's capable of better.

Elastic Love slays. And I used Not Myself Tonight heavily when it was out tbh.

Majmun

Target and Amazon banning Bey is just a warning for other artists.

They're afraid more artists are going to copy Bey's itunes move.

It's a stupid no revenue strategy, though. There are a lot of other alternatives to buy the album from. It's not as if Target and Amazon are the only retailers that sell albums.

In short: who cares

DMeisterJ

Banned
Beyonce, her team, is such a flop. XO is the single and is 48 on iTunes, while Mine, not a single, is 18. For all her stans have been talking about charts, I'm surprised they haven't spoken about how awful the lead single is doing. Good thing the urban single is clocking at #6 rn.

I'm just kinda surprised that they didn't send the Drake single out as the official when it's clear that pop loves him and his current single is dying down.

I guess not everyone's team can be as good as everyone else's.

Beyonce, her team, is such a flop. XO is the single and is 48 on iTunes, while Mine, not a single, is 18. For all her stans have been talking about charts, I'm surprised they haven't spoken about how awful the lead single is doing. Good thing the urban single is clocking at #6 rn.

I'm just kinda surprised that they didn't send the Drake single out as the official when it's clear that pop loves him and his current single is dying down.

I guess not everyone's team can be as good as everyone else's.

She does not have a team. She is doing everything herself steering her own ship. She chose the singles, they take orders and follow through. It's really hard to see that anyone would buy the singles seeing as everyone already bought the album. Obviously the singles are for stragglers who didn't want to buy the album for their reasons. So it doesn't matter if the singles don't do well on the charts, the album already sold more than a single would have anyways.

Majmun

Bey wants the people to buy the album, not just a single.

Otherwise she'd do any promo. Perform on Ellen or Xfactor. The singles are currently just riding on the hype of the album. Which is still very popular. People are actually buying her album. That's what matters.

Yup. Her physical album is already selling everywhere. I mean, the singles really don't matter if the album is already sold. Plus on iTunes, I don't believe you can buy the single if you already own the album so theres that.

Majmun

And the album costs $15,99 instead of $9,99 or $0,99

People are willing to pay premium for her new material.

"Probably won't make no money off this, oh well"

Sure, Bey
iw3w51wbVRxPT.gif

Majmun

Because a single can make the people buy the album? It can make people aware that a new album is out.

It's better to have someone hear a single and buy the album, instead of hearing the single and just buy the single. And Bey is pushing for the former.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I should have clarified. Why allow people to purchase singles separately if she's pushing the whole visual album concept? Seems odd considering all her messaging is "alberms alberms alberms," but you can purchase ha singles.

I understand releasing singles to radio to push album sales. Even though she's not concerned about album sales as well...

Nemesis_

She does not have a team. She is doing everything herself steering her own ship. She chose the singles, they take orders and follow through. It's really hard to see that anyone would buy the singles seeing as everyone already bought the album. Obviously the singles are for stragglers who didn't want to buy the album for their reasons. So it doesn't matter if the singles don't do well on the charts, the album already sold more than a single would have anyways.

girl, she has a team. everyone has a team. except sky ferreira.

I should have clarified. Why allow people to purchase singles separately if she's pushing the whole visual album concept? Seems odd considering all her messaging is "alberms alberms alberms," but you can purchase ha singles.

I understand releasing singles to radio to push album sales. Even though she's not concerned about album sales as well...

Probably because as much as people want to believe it, Bey can't be so experimental that she can usurp the general practices of the industry.

Although I think singles are really just going to be serving as promotion for the tour rather than the album at this point.

Majmun

But why wouldn't she release a single?? It's a normal thing to do.

She just dropped two singles without any promo. And DIL is doing really well. Top 10 itunes and getting great radio updates.

But it's clear that she wants people to buy the album instead of just the singles. And she's succeeding.

Bey seems to be more focused on album sales and her tour. That's where the real money is.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Probably because as much as people want to believe it, Bey can't be so experimental that she can usurp the general practices of the industry.

That's basically my point. Aside from releasing everything at once, she and her team are treating this era like a normal era. I still haven't seen the paradigm shift that people keep talking about wrt how business is handled in releasing an album. Releasing singles to radio, allowing singles to be purchased, etc, is all normal things that any artist does. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

I'll just call it her "board of advisors". However, I think she got her message across and that's why the Singles aren't selling as high. I do feel the paradigm shift has happened in which people aren't relying on the singles to make a album purchase, which in this case is the normal way of doing thing.

At the end of the day, Digital distribution comes down to the traditional model and no money in the world can change that. However, enough money was put in place to combat that for a short period of time. So, she did change something. If anything, I don't see anyone really getting as strict as she was for her album but if record labels and artist really want maximum profit, they might as well start pushing the album efforts stronger than a disposable song.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Singles was obviously always going to be tricky, I'm surprised that she is even doing them tbh. She should have just released songs for radio play instead of releasing individual tracks, it seems kind of pointless when the album is already out.

Mumei

Is it possible that the reason singles sales have been tepid so far is because she just got through selling ~800,000 copies of the album in the last week and there's less reason for fans to buy an individual song, especially when there comes a point that it would just be cheaper to buy the album? And I suppose sales for individual song might also be diluted by the fact that they are all available simultaneously.

I think it is doing pretty well on radio given her near absence these last two years:

001: BEYONCE – Drunk In Love f/Jay Z: 2.714
002: BEYONCE – Drunk In Love f/Jay Z: 4.300 (+ 1.586)
003: BEYONCE – Drunk In Love f/Jay Z: 5.359 (+ 1.059)
004: BEYONCE – Drunk In Love f/Jay Z: 8.076 (+ 2.717)
005: BEYONCE – Drunk In Love f/Jay Z: 10.914 (+ 2.838)
006: BEYONCE – Drunk In Love f/Jay Z: 14.530 (+ 3.616)
007: BEYONCE – Drunk In Love f/Jay Z: 18.138 (+ 3.608)

And today (rolling update), she has 19.371 (+ 1.233). As I recall, she was basically a non-factor with radio last album (Run the World stalling out around 20 million AI; Best Thing I Never Had around 57 million), so I don't think there was any reason to expect eye-popping radio numbers right off the bat in the absence of payola a radio deal.

XO doesn't seem to be doing as well, though:

XO: 2.780 (+ 1.025)
XO: 4.554 (+ 1.774)
XO: 6.853 (+ 2.299)
XO: 8.635 (+ 1.782)

*shrugs*

I just don't see this taking on exactly the same trajectory given how this was released. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm sure Wafflecakes will explain the precise nature of my wrongness when he sees this. ;)

Majmun

#8 Beyoncé - Beyoncé
2013 - 100.000 cópias (in one week, itunes exclusive)

#16 21- Adele
2011 - 75.000 cópias

#18 ArtPop - Lady Gaga
2013 - 64.000 cópias

#27 Bangerz - Miley Cyrus
2013 - 45.000 cópias

#31 Prism - Katy Perry
2013 - 40.000 cópias

#44 Unapologetic - Rihanna
2012 - 26.000 cópias

#45 Britney Jean - Britney Spears
2013 - 25.000 cópias

Not Rihanna's 2012 album selling more that Brit's latest release. Brit is done.
Bey is slaying, as usual. And will Adele's 21 ever stop selling?

Full List (you have to be a registered member, tho)

Bladenic

Mau ®;94369267 said:
I went to a graduation party last night and they played a remix of "Started from the bottom". We ALL stanned.

I'm hungover AF right now :/

Wait did you graduate? Yessssss bro congrats.

I didn't get drunk last night but tonight I am.

B-Dex

I see you kind of went on a "related videos" binge after that Aretha Touch My Body performance. :) Love it.

iwiiuo6XzIBKK.gif

This comment sums up the performance flawlessly:

from the hot mess fake curtain, to the 25 tracks playing all at once in the beginning, to the disastrous vocals from an unwarmed-up mariah, to the stop singing my part, to her straining at the end and shaking her clenched fist, this is one of my favorite things to watch! and the dancers are amazing!!!!

Icicle

Bless Phono for still doing the mosT long after being banned.

"Janet's Browsing History"
WoE3s3k.jpg

Who has the time to make these things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom