• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

Banned
This comment sums up the performance flawlessly:

lol vicious. It wasn't that bad. I thought it was still cute. I think this performance was a few weeks after the song went number one back in 08. Her voice was not in a good place that era. At least she looked hot though. :p

tumblr_m41h0jRQLu1r9a4ceo1_500.gif

royalan

I don't know why people like Partition so much. It's one of my least favorite tracks on the album.

It just jumps around too much. A lot of the songs on Beyoncé do, actually, but I think Partition is the one track where it really bothers me.

royalan

Partition is one of my faves. It's such a sexy song. The video is great as well.

Now you just have to deal.

LAWD...lol

Eh, I still stand by my stale tea. If Bey tried it with a traditional album release strategy (lead single, performances, interviews, album release, etc) I don't think she would have sold NEARLY as much. WHO expected her to do a Hail Mary with her album like this?

Listening to Beyoncé about fifty times so far this weekend has forced me to re-evaluate Unapologetic. Repeated listens of both reveals Rihanna's strong aural influence on Bey, most notably in the fusion of bombastic balladry + minimalistic, moody, atmospheric R&B + retro disco throwbacks + ratchet trap anthems.

Flawless <--> Phresh Out The Runway (ratchet self-esteem booster)
Haunted <--> Numb (downbeat, sinister minimalism)
Drunk In Love <--> Loveeeeeee Song (rap features with thematically important slurred delivery)
Pretty Hurts <--> What Now (big, anthemic melancholy - and those choruses sure sound similar, don't they?)
Blow <--> Nobody's Business (sultry disco jam)
Superpower <--> Get It Over With (a repetitive hook builds a dreamy soundscape)

Obviously, Bey's material and delivery are worlds better, but it's clear that the student is teaching the teacher here.

Interested to see what new direction Rihanna goes with next album, as she's one of the few gerls left who actually treats each new era as an opportunity to reinvent herself style-wise and musically.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I go skiing for a week and you guys do like 40 pages ;_;
How is the world post Beyoncé?

Majmun

Listening to Beyoncé about fifty times so far this weekend has forced me to re-evaluate Unapologetic. Repeated listens of both reveals Rihanna's strong aural influence on Bey, most notably in the fusion of bombastic balladry + minimalistic, moody, atmospheric R&B + retro disco throwbacks + ratchet trap anthems.

Flawless <--> Phresh Out The Runway (ratchet self-esteem booster)
Haunted <--> Numb (downbeat, sinister minimalism)
Drunk In Love <--> Loveeeeeee Song (rap features with thematically important slurred delivery)
Pretty Hurts <--> What Now (big, anthemic melancholy - and those choruses sure sound similar, don't they?)
Blow <--> Nobody's Business (sultry disco jam)
Superpower <--> Get It Over With (a repetitive hook builds a dreamy soundscape)

Obviously, Bey's material and delivery are worlds better, but it's clear that the student is teaching the teacher here.

Interested to see what new direction Rihanna goes with next album, as she's one of the few gerls left who actually treats each new era as an opportunity to reinvent herself style-wise and musically.

lol what

Unapologetic is an amazing album. I still stan for it. But no, you're reaching a bit with the comparisons. Numb <> Haunted comparison, for instance, is just dumb. The songs sound nothing alike.

BEYONCÉ doesn't sound a bit like Unapologetic. I mean, both album are very fresh when it comes to their deliverance. But none of the things that Bey tries to do with BEYONCÉ did originate with Rihanna.

You're giving Rih('s team) too much credit there.

Mau ®

Hey, the video for Adore You looks like what I had mind for it. Cool.

It's my fave song on the album so I won't be bothered if it slays tbh.

Majmun

Simon Cowel talks about Gaga and Beyoncé

On Gaga:

Simon Cowell believes Lady Gaga’s “hype” has died down tremendously in 2013 and he surmises “people have just had enough” of her offerings.

And he believes Lady Gaga, who is known for her out-of-the-box performances and style, didn’t make as much of a splash this year because people are moving on.

"I mean, some people have had a great year, some people have had a bad year, it’s quite interesting that after all the hype, Lady Gaga, it’s almost as if people have just had enough of it.”

Gaga’s ARTPOP album was released in November and climbed its way up the charts to the number one position in at least nine countries.

On Beyoncé:

Despite her sustained appeal to the masses, Simon is convinced Gaga’s peer Beyoncé Knowles is dominating the industry, especially after the R&B crooner released her fifth self-titled studio album unannounced last week to much success.

“You see the Beyoncé album drop out of nowhere in the middle of the night and crash the internet,” he explained.

“No pre-promotion, no stupid pictures, nothing. And again, maybe this is the sign of how things are going to change in the future."

oop, did he lie
ibjyxO4y1kiCSj.gif

cory64

These early NOW discs are ending me
send help

edit: I think I had at least 3 CDs with BOMT on it. Iconic
Trivia: Xtina didn't appear on a NOW CD until 2006 (mostly because of label restrictions)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom