• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll find out today hopefully.

ibuVsHGx1QeZFB.gif

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it's probably dead in a ditch somewhere, right next to Broke With Expensive Taste.

The acapella studio version of Bloody Mary is on Soundcloud, and it sounds so Godly. Honestlty the song could have been released as a Gregorian acapalla epic and it would have still been fabulous and fierce.

cory64

Taylor could only flop on the Hot 100 in the next 2 years, her base is too wide for her to actually flop.

Beyoncé isn't safe.

Katy definitely isn't safe.

Miley isn't even safe right now.

Rihanna doesn't tie herself down so it's hard for her to truly flop.

And everyone else already flopped.

Taylor could only flop on the Hot 100 in the next 2 years, her base is too wide for her to actually flop.

Beyoncé isn't safe.

I don't think Bey is in danger of flopping after all that hype she caused.

Bladenic

Beyoncé isn't safe.

Miley isn't even close to safe. Her antics helped her this era but I highly doubt they'll work twice. And BANGERZ was not exactly a smash, it's still not at Platinum, in fact I don't think it's that close. She could just be a singles artist though.

I think Gaga's gonna retool and get organized. I don't think she cared as much about smashing until she saw that she wasn't smashing, so I think she's realizing that in order to meet the public halfway she may have to make some artistic sacrifices in order to make her output as efficient for them as possible. Then again it's hard to tell where her mindset is.. on the one hand she loves her (sales) accomplishments but on the other she seems more invested in making sure the music is as representative of her character/performance style as possible. You can even HEAR that struggle throughout ARTPOP.

I think she has the passion and drive of Beyonce but not the discipline. And I think her lack of discipline is what makes her automatically antagonistic toward business management and the record labels that want to stick her to a rigid format/regimen. She may need to do some learning and reflection in order to understand where she belongs as far as being a pop star that sells records. At the end of that day that's what she signed up to do.

There's nothing wrong with deciding you'd rather make music you love than be on top of the charts, but her attitude suggests that she wants it both ways. I suppose she very well could, but she'll have to make some adjustments to figure out how to strike that balance, coz as great as ARTPOP is, it certainly didn't do that.

Partition

Banned
I think Gaga's gonna retool and get organized. I don't think she cared as much about smashing until she saw that she wasn't smashing, so I think she's realizing that in order to meet the public halfway she may have to make some artistic sacrifices in order to make her output as efficient for them as possible.

ARTPOP isn't even that artistic, in terms of the music, though. It's just lukewarm pop music, and that's the problem. If she is going to go back to her roots and put out "chart friendly" pop music, it needs to be more accessible then ARTPOP is. Her lyrics have just gotten too weird, which is probably the biggest reason why she hasn't been resonating with the GP.

Gaga needs to release more songs like Aura (demo), Venus, and ARTPOP (Swinefest) which showcase that she is able to write catchy music while still retaining her sense of artistic individualism. Those are the true ART POP songs and what Gaga is about, imo. And the reason why TFM is so loved is because she released an album comprised of music following that mantra.

BEYONCÉ can pull it off because she has a large organized team of people who help her do a lot of things. Gaga on the other hand insists on doing more and more on her own, which may help or hurt her in the long run. But yes what we all can agree on is that Gaga needs more organization and some strict discipline.

I think Gaga is more than capable of having a successful comeback. The good thing is that ARTPOP was a total flop, as well as Gaga in general; many people aren't even aware it exists or have the slightest idea of what Gaga is doing anymore. Which is good because the longer the general populace has a break from her, the easier it will be for her to come back big. This era hasn't been like the BTW era where she still got tons of press, except it was just all bad; she just isn't getting any press at all.
I kinda feel like Christina has the same potential after Lotus and Bionic were also no where to be found.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
ARTPOP isn't even that artistic, in terms of the music, though. It's just lukewarm pop music, and that's the problem. If she is going to go back to her roots and put out "chart friendly" pop music, it needs to be more accessible then ARTPOP is. Her lyrics have just gotten too weird, which is probably the biggest reason why she hasn't been resonating with the GP.

Gaga needs to release more songs like Aura (demo), Venus, and ARTPOP (Swinefest) which showcase that she is able to write catchy music while still retaining her sense of artistic individualism. Those are the true ART POP songs and what Gaga is about, imo. And he reason why TFM is so loved is because she released an album comprised of music following that mantra.

BEYONCÉ can pull it off because she has a large organized team of people who help her do a lot of things. Gaga on the other hand insists on doing more and more on her own, which may help or hurt her in the long run. But yes what we all can agree on is that Gaga needs more organization and some strict discipline.

you need to explain yourself more cause I dont get this post

First you say that she isn't resonating cause her lyrics are weird but then you want her to release Aura and Venus which have some of the least relatable lyrics aside from the chorus not to mention DWUW is incredibly safe when it comes to the content.

Aura, Venus, and ARTPOP are more BTW than they are TFM. Also during TFM Gaga could have released anything past Bad Romance and it would have smashed but it also had the basic song known as Telephone which I dont see any artistic individualism in.

I believe Gaga can still do well doing what she does without a team, I mean one of her greatest moments was collabing with Xtina and that was post having a manager

tumblr_mjz2i3xbJ61s7ux1lo3_r1_400.gif

Partition

Banned
you need to explain yourself more cause I dont get this post

First you say that she isn't resonating cause her lyrics are weird but then you want her to release Aura and Venus which have some of the least relatable lyrics aside from the chorus not to mention DWUW is incredibly safe when it comes to the content.

Aura, Venus, and ARTPOP are more BTW than they are TFM. Also during TFM Gaga could have released anything past Bad Romance and it would have smashed but it also had the basic song known as Telephone which I dont see any artistic individualism in.

I believe Gaga can still do well doing what she does without a team, I mean one of her greatest moments was collabing with Xtina and that was post having a manager

I meant that I want her to make more songs like those, not that they will necessarily work for her career and make her more successful. Those songs were really the only few that fit the album's title, and if she released a more artistic album she would of at least had the critics on her side; and that could of helped ARTPOP's fate tremendously. We wouldn't be talking about Gaga's downfall as much because at least the music would still be there.

Telephone is an abortion and I like to pretend it doesn't exist, sorry for my ignorance there.

And really? That Xtina collab was a cute mess at most. Nothing memorable in the grand scheme on her career.

Gaga's lyrics are unique to her and she doesn't need to change anything about them. Bad Romance, Pokerface, Lovegame? All have wonky lyrics that don't quite make sense but the songs sell them. Applause's lyrics are hilariously wonky but the vibe of the song sells them... not as efficiently as Bad Romance mind you but BR came at the best possible moment for her. If she released any other song instead of Bad Romance at the time it would have probably had a similar level of success, but that's another story.

Aura, Venus and ARTPOP have her weirdest lyrics yet so if you think that her lyrics are getting in the way of a song smashing then those three probably shouldn't fit your bill. If you want songs more tailor-made for radio and strike a decent balance between mass appeal and intrinsically unique then you might go with Swine, Dope or Gypsy. At the end of the day Gypsy seems most inclined to do well with the mass market... then again we said that about DWUW and it did just okay.

EDIT: Nevermind I see what you mean. I think 13 of the 15 songs on ARTPOP fit the visual/sonic pinache that she was trying to capture with the album. It's supposed to be a blend of 70s-era psychedelia and hard industrial production, though it's also supposed to be a "survey" of sounds honestly. Kind of like a tour of pop sounds and it purposely changes gears consistently because of it. While MANiCURE and Donatella have a unique enough style within that "survey" I think they both fail the hardest in terms of being fully realized, purposeful songs. The album would be just as strong (or if you hate it, weak) without them.

And The Fame Monster is never going to happen again. As long as Gaga insists on trying to recapture that sound, or as long as her fans insist that she do, she's never going to evolve. She doesn't need another TFM to be transformative again, she needs to just move on and capture new sounds. TFM wins more on context than content anyway, so even if you think that the songs on ARTPOP are higher in quality than on TFM (like me) then you probably would still give the edge to TFM just coz of how transformative it was for her career.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Universal's top selling albums of 2013

1. Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP 2 - 3.7 million
2. Saint Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh Ji Insan - Lov Rab Se - 2.8 million
3. Katy Perry - Prism
4. Imagine Dragons - Night Visions
5. Lady Gaga - ARTPOP
6. Drake - Nothing Was The Same
7. Luke Bryan - Crash My Party
8. Stromae - Racine Carrée
9. Robbie Williams - Swings Both Ways
10. Jay-Z - Magna Carta... Holy Grail

14. Lorde - Pure Heroine - 1.3 million

http://www.universalmusic.com/news/detail/2682

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Lol, they're literally not.
Yes, they literally are.

The only but of Bad Romance that's even remotely clunky, lyrically, is the middle 8. The rest is great.

The songwriting in general on TFM is a cut above anything she's put out since. And I don't say that meaning that she should just write TFM knockoffs for the rest of her career. I mean that there is a palpable drop-off in the quality of the songwriting moving from TFM to BTW and from BTW to ARTPOP (the latter being, I think, larger). Nobody is saying she should rest on her laurels creatively, only that ARTPOP frequently sounds unfinished, and is generally patchy. She needs to take inspiration from the creative vision, insane polish, and purposefulness of TFM, not just copy it.

That is, if she's actually capable of that and TFM wasn't just a fluke :eyes:

Eh, if Telephone or Bad Romance were on ARTPOP ya'll would be calling them average, inconsequential, etc. The latter in particular would have just been called a slightly less edgy Judas. Hmm.

Partition

Banned
Eh, if Telephone or Bad Romance were on ARTPOP ya'll would be calling them average, inconsequential, etc. The latter in particular would have just been called a slightly less edgy Judas. Hmm.

The public perception of Gaga around the time TFM was released along with all her hype and videos etc really tends to skew people's thoughts about the actual music. I think a lot of it is nostalgia really.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

This counterfactual is wrong to the point of total absurdity.

[edit] I sometimes feel as though there are two versions of The Fame Monster out there, and if you heard the really bad one you became a Monster, think BTW is her best album and that TFM is bad and overrated, and if you heard the really great one you jumped off the Gaga train at BTW and are beginning to suspect she's already creatively over the hill.

cory64

[edit] I sometimes feel as though there are two versions of The Fame Monster out there, and if you heard the really bad one you become a Monster, thing BTW is her best album and that TFM is bad and overrated, and if you heard the really great one you jumped off the Gaga train at BTW and are beginning to suspect she's already creatively over the hill.
Gather them.

Yado

Her sound has evolved since then but they were bops during their time.

[edit] I sometimes feel as though there are two versions of The Fame Monster out there, and if you heard the really bad one you became a Monster, think BTW is her best album and that TFM is bad and overrated, and if you heard the really great one you jumped off the Gaga train at BTW and are beginning to suspect she's already creatively over the hill.

there are still gaga stans who think TFM is the best, and still think she's capable of topping it. I really like BTW and ARTPOP but nothing has topped TFM.

or maybe its just me

cory64

there are still gaga stans who think TFM is the best, and still think she's capable of topping it. I really like BTW and ARTPOP but nothing has topped TFM.

or maybe its just me

I think she's still capable of topping it.
But when will she top Summerboy?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

or maybe its just me

It's not just you. In 2010 Pitchfork's Poptimist summed it up pretty well:

At a pop club I DJ, it became clear that nothing got the reaction Gaga could, to a degree that made the whole evening hard to calibrate: "Pop", said my fellow DJ, "is in a post-'Bad Romance'" hangover. Nothing else sounds worth playing." A feverish article in The Atlantic suggested Lady Gaga represents the end of pop itself: "each of her productions gleefully laying waste to another area of possibility."

Yes, context helped. 2009 and 2010 were Gaga's years, coming off the back of Poker Face, Just Dance and Paparazzi. But when Bad Romance, and more generally TFM, came out there was a palpable sense that the new Queen of Pop was staking her claim, because the music was simply a cut above everything that any mainstream pop artists were putting out during the same period.

To look back now and say that if Bad Romance was on ARTPOP it would be overlooked is frankly absurd; both because the counterfactual itself is enormously difficult to entertain, but also because if Bad Romance was on ARTPOP it would only make the rest of the album sound even more half-arsed than it already does.

If you've caught on to her creative evolution then you'd be hard pressed to say that TFM is her musical peak and that everything since is rubbish. That just tells me that you're looking at her music from about 50 feet away, and looking for what sticks based on the same standards you use for other pop acts. And there's nothing wrong with that, but I think different musicians make their own worlds through their music and because of that, you can really get a rewarding experience from letting yourself be engrossed in their worlds, as opposed to hearing but not listening. I think if you make it a point to look at her music cynically (like most people naturally do with pop music) then you'll end up hating BTW and ARTPOP because it doesn't spell itself out to you in a straightforward way. If you let yourself take it in a bit more closely I think you'll appreciate the way she's evolved musically since TFM.

TFM to me is a fabulous EP, but it was recorded while Gaga was mid-transition into finding her signature. The way you criticize BTW and ARTPOP in saying that they don't capture whatever magic TFM provided for you, I don't think you're getting that BTW and ARTPOP is just her style. The Fame, being a debut record, is of course the outlier. TFM is the transition into her signature sound. Born This Way and ARTPOP are her signature, at least as it stands now.

I think the bottom line for you is not "I don't like current Gaga as much as past Gaga" but "I don't like Gaga." TFM is a weird transitional moment that happened to be caught in an EP and you lived for it, but that ain't happening again. You're just not a fan of her, in her current/final form.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
If you've caught on to her creative evolution then you'd be hard pressed to say that TFM is her musical peak and that everything since is rubbish. That just tells me that you're looking at her music from about 50 feet away, and looking for what sticks based on the same standards you use for other pop acts. And there's nothing wrong with that, but I think different musicians make their own worlds through their music and because of that, you can really get a rewarding experience from letting yourself be engrossed in their worlds, as opposed to hearing but not listening. I think if you make it a point to look at her music cynically (like most people naturally do with pop music) then you'll end up hating BTW and ARTPOP because it doesn't spell itself out to you in a straightforward way. If you let yourself take it in a bit more closely I think you'll appreciate the way she's evolved musically since TFM.

TFM to me is a fabulous EP, but it was recorded while Gaga was mid-transition into finding her signature. The way you criticize BTW and ARTPOP in saying that they don't capture whatever magic TFM provided for you, I don't think you're getting that BTW and ARTPOP is just her style. The Fame, being a debut record, is of course the outlier. TFM is the transition into her signature sound. Born This Way and ARTPOP are her signature, at least as it stands now.

I think the bottom line for you is not "I don't like current Gaga as much as past Gaga" but "I don't like Gaga." TFM is a weird transitional moment that happened to be caught in an EP and you lived for it, but that ain't happening again. You're just not a fan of her, in her current/final form.

Well I certainly think you're right to say that I'm coming round to the view that I don't like Gaga. I also think she's disappeared up her own arse since TFM and lost almost everything that made her an interesting proposition as a pop star (beside the music, I mean).

But again, I don't buy into the idea that there's something I 'don't get' her music or that it's 'going over my head' or whatever nice way you have of wrapping it up. I think that what she's doing, if it's intentional, isn't completely there yet. I don't buy that she intentionally made ARTPOP as shoddy sounding as it is in places, e.g. the example I mentioned before where virtually 1/3 of Swine is just the backing track playing, with no lyrics, no chorus, no melody. That's just sloppy and lazy, there's no way to cut it.

The public perception of Gaga around the time TFM was released along with all her hype and videos etc really tends to skew people's thoughts about the actual music. I think a lot of it is nostalgia really.

I listened to TFM and BTW very recently. I even ranked them in the thread, but the rankings were paid dust. It's not nostalgia, TFM is full of non-stop bops. Every song is good, especially Telephone.

Aguila

#ICONIC
That Paloma Faith song is a bop.

And the video is very interesting (especially when they drown her in milk or whatever) *.*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom