• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how many Grammy's Bey will snatch next year

Not as much as she could have if the Grammys counted her album for this year's show. Award shows have a timing bias... the newer and fresher the music is the more likely it is to win awards because it's the most fresh on voters' minds. Beyonce has great staying power though so I'm sure she'll do well either way.

Ties

Banned
I wonder how many Grammy's Bey will snatch next year
hold it there
ibdIWJIlzdY7a.png

lets wait until she can snatch a number one single first

Mumei

Well, I'm trying to think of the last time I heard a male pop singer belt a bridge like that.

Well, we don't exactly have many competent male vocalists in contemporary mainstream pop music, anyway. But I don't think there's anything too remarkable about a competent tenor singing in that range. Male rock and pop singers like early Elton, Steve Perry, George Michael, Jackie, Brad Delp, or Jeff Buckley all have voices that are centered pretty much in standard tenor ranges, and could pretty easily negotiate that bridge. They are amazing vocalists, granted, but my point is that it doesn't take an exceptionally high voice to do that.

You have to remember, even though male voices sit an octave lower than female voices, there's essentially a convergence of the range in which male and female voices sing in popular music into this fairly narrow alto-ish range. Even singers that have ranges that extend above or below that range still spend almost all of their time in that A3 - A5 range. And men and women both generally sing in their chest voice, which means that even sopranos' high notes are often in the fifth octave (the same as men), and men make use of registers like falsetto, head voice, and mixed voice that gives them access to higher parts of their range that operatic tenors don't.

LOL - you are too adorable.

Sis is just following godel's advice.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I feel bad for Kesha that she had to go to rehab because people call her fat...I really think we shouldn't be too harsh on people in this business as we can see the self destruct...sad.

Also Gaga totally flopped huh? I would like to see her go straight pop REDone style with her trendy, not over the top Fame/Fame Monster era back. She owned that era and then some...it made her iconic and I'm surprised she never went back to her roots...but alas you gotta fall to get back up.

In case anyone didn't see this dumb video of me coming for wigs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06-BVD6Fz7M

lol awful.
*O*

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
hold it there
ibdIWJIlzdY7a.png

lets wait until she can snatch a number one single first

why? she dominated pop music in 2013 by doing nothing for 350 days then just releasing an album.

but yeah you're right, she needs a number one single to be relevant. kiiiii.

Mumei

She at least needs a top 10 hit just so that she doesn't end up going Five Damn Years without one.

Well, here's the status over the last week:

BEYONCÉ – Drunk In Love f/Jay Z: 43.133 (+ 1.249)
BEYONCÉ – Drunk In Love f/Jay Z: 44.743 (+ 1.610)
BEYONCÉ – Drunk In Love f/Jay Z: 46.513 (+ 1.770)
BEYONCÉ – Drunk In Love f/Jay Z: 47.721 (+ 1.208)
BEYONCÉ - Drunk In Love f/Jay Z: 49.496 (+ 1.775)
BEYONCÉ – Drunk In Love f/Jay Z: 52.536 (+ 3.040)
BEYONCÉ – Drunk In Love f/Jay Z: 55.367 (+ 2.831)

And #10 and #20 by airplay:

10. LORDE – Team: 98.163 (+ 2.036)
20. THE BAND PERRY – Don’t Let Me Be Lonely: 64.960 (+ 0.440)

I'm no Wafflecakes chartz expert, but it seems doable.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
not remotely surprised that it took the usual suspects all of a month to go back to dragging bey

it's amazing, the power that delusions can have over the fragile minds of people with post beynami pressed disorder

Cynosure

did that flop local UK poor man's Danity Kane dropped girlband ever get back together with a new record label?

is Robyn still uglier and more irrelevant than Broken Spearit?

is Brittleknee Jean top 100 on itunes yet?

iDhTDJcCibJBS.gif

royalan

not remotely surprised that it took the usual suspects all of a month to go back to dragging bey

it's amazing, the power that delusions can have over the fragile minds of people with post beynami pressed disorder

How am I dragging Bey.

I was just quoting the lyrics from one of her recent hit singles.

royalan

i'd quote a recent hit single of xtina's but i have trouble remembering most things from before 2004

Guess you don't remember Robyn's last hit, then.

Show me love, show me life
Baby show me what it's all about
You're the one that I ever needed
Show me love and what it's all about, alright

DMeisterJ

Banned
Well, here's the status over the last week:

BEYONCÉ – Drunk In Love f/Jay Z: 43.133 (+ 1.249)
BEYONCÉ – Drunk In Love f/Jay Z: 44.743 (+ 1.610)
BEYONCÉ – Drunk In Love f/Jay Z: 46.513 (+ 1.770)
BEYONCÉ – Drunk In Love f/Jay Z: 47.721 (+ 1.208)
BEYONCÉ - Drunk In Love f/Jay Z: 49.496 (+ 1.775)
BEYONCÉ – Drunk In Love f/Jay Z: 52.536 (+ 3.040)
BEYONCÉ – Drunk In Love f/Jay Z: 55.367 (+ 2.831)

And #10 and #20 by airplay:

10. LORDE – Team: 98.163 (+ 2.036)
20. THE BAND PERRY – Don’t Let Me Be Lonely: 64.960 (+ 0.440)

I'm no Wafflecakes chartz expert, but it seems doable.

DiL will need significant airplay and iTunes success to make up for the deficit in streaming she will have. And DiL is gonna reach the ceiling on Urban/Rhythmic soon as she gets I to the 75M range and stop growing as much. It likely won't go top 10 on radio and it isn't top 10 on iTunes. The likelihood of it going to 10 is slim.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Guess you don't remember Robyn's last hit, then.

Show me love, show me life
Baby show me what it's all about
You're the one that I ever needed
Show me love and what it's all about, alright

actually, with every heartbeat hit number 1 in the uk, vindication of our iconic and flawless taste

though it was still 2007

DMeisterJ

Banned
DiL could have went top 10 if she waited to release the video until the song peaked on radio, to maximize it's points in one big week, but she already did that. The only spikes she's gonna get is if she performs it somewhere or the song crosses over to pop radio. But since they're still fucking that chicken with XO on pop...

Mumei

DiL will need significant airplay and iTunes success to make up for the deficit in streaming she will have. And DiL is gonna reach the ceiling on Urban/Rhythmic soon as she gets I to the 75M range and stop growing as much. It likely won't go top 10 on radio and it isn't top 10 on iTunes. The likelihood of it going to 10 is slim.

Oh, I see. I had assumed that it had the potential for continued steady growth on radio and that sales would pick up if that happened. Don't think so?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i've listened to Can't Remember to Forget You a lot today, i think it has more to offer than most people thought on first listen.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Oh, I see. I had assumed that it had the potential for continued steady growth on radio and that sales would pick up if that happened. Don't think so?

Her single sales are hurt by the fact that most people own the whole album already. The rise in sales as it rises in radio won't be as strong for that reason.

royalan

I'm not sure I even want to call it racist, really...

Just as phrases in themselves, "Dis Nigga / Dis Bitch..." has sort of taken off. And just who is and isn't allowed to say the word "nigga" is the age-old debate that just won't die...

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'm not sure I even want to call it racist, really...

Just as phrases in themselves, "Dis Nigga / Dis Bitch..." has sort of taken off. And just who is and isn't allowed to say the word "nigga" is the age-old debate that just won't die...

it's a debate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom