• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMeisterJ

Banned

Aguila

#ICONIC
Gags starting the REAL ARTPOP era with the best song on the album. Ya'll are not ready
Omg. You're right. Let's hope she finds bigger success in this mini-comeback.
I'm going to need this look to return for Gypsus

Yes, please.

ib2qOSWOwZYotj.gif

Mau ®

I'm looking forward to Taylor, Daft Punk and LORDe at the Grammy's tbh.

Will TayLORD perform a new song from her upcoming indie album or will she do some sort of RED medley? Stefan sis, got any tea? *.*

I know this is very LTTP (by 10 or so years), but I've never seen this article where Beyoncé and co drag the former members of DC for FILTH

http://www.destinysrehab.com/2010/01/15/the-infamous-vibe-magazine-interview-letoya-is-tone-deaf/

Some highlights are Bey referring to Toya as tone deaf, and accusing them of being lazy and content with not working as hard as Beyonce. And Tenitra being absolutely okay with being told her name is too soulful because she's getting paid.
I can read (and watch) Beyonce sling mud at Destiny's Abandoned Children all day, every day.

Never gets old <3

Styles

Mau ®;98017544 said:
I'm looking forward to Taylor, Daft Punk and LORDe at the Grammy's tbh.

Will TayLORD perform a new song from her upcoming indie album or will she do some sort of RED medley? Stefan sis, got any tea? *.*

Everything is still up in the air, we don't know what to expect.

Everybody is hoping for an ATW performance.

One thing is for certain though; All hell will break loose if she performs a 22/WANEBGT/IKYWT medley.
ed2305b7.png

Stefan™;98019323 said:
Everything is still up in the air, we don't know what to expect.

Everybody is hoping for an ATW performance.

One thing is for certain though; All hell will break loose if she performs a 22/WANEBGT/IKYWT medley.
ed2305b7.png
No way she's performing WANEGBT. She performed that shit last year.

Majmun

I know this is very LTTP (by 10 or so years), but I've never seen this article where Beyoncé and co drag the former members of DC for FILTH

http://www.destinysrehab.com/2010/01/15/the-infamous-vibe-magazine-interview-letoya-is-tone-deaf/

Some highlights are Bey referring to Toya as tone deaf, and accusing them of being lazy and content with not working as hard as Beyonce. And Tenitra being absolutely okay with being told her name is too soulful because she's getting paid.

That was an interesting read.

LaToya, LeTavia and Farrah all got the boot because they were lazy as hell. They were missing during promo work and were being very nonchalant about everything. You'll have to work hard in this industry and take the work seriously, otherwise you won't make it.

Good work, Matthew Knowles.

Majmun

Can Remember to Flop is #64 on iTunes.

Never knew this song would tank so hard. Thanks for ruining the song, Shitkira

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Can Remember to Flop is #64 on iTunes.

Never knew this song would tank so hard. Thanks for ruining the song, Shitkira

shakira's bit is my favourite bit tbh

i still think it deserves to smash, it's been getting constant rotation on radio godels

Majmun

Huh, Gaga is aeady releasing Gypsy as a third single?

Why is she paying dust to DWUW??? I thought the video would be out soon?

Damn, Artpop era has been such a mess so far.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
shakira's bit is my favourite bit tbh

i still think it deserves to smash, it's been getting constant rotation on radio godels

I agree. Everyone was praising Rih's verse but after a couple of listens I kinda wanted it to be solo Shakira

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i don't know if i want it to be solo shakira

i just don't think rihanna brings anything particularly rihanna to the song

in other news, into the blue is a bit good isn't it

DMeisterJ

Banned
I'm kinda pressed Gags fumbled the DWUW slayage. It's a moderate sized hit for her on the radio, and it did well enough on iTunes, she just bungled the release of the video and people lost interest. Of course, the whole Mr Piss thing wasn't the best idea, but in spite of that I think it still could have done better than it did. At this point she needs to just release whatever video she shot and move on to working out Gypsy correctly. Or just end the era.

I agree. Everyone was praising Rih's verse but after a couple of listens I kinda wanted it to be solo Shakira

Unsurprisingly I felt completely opposite. Rihanna sounded so natural on the track that it should have been solo her. It probably would have been a hit already if that were the case as well. I guess we'll see what happens in the future with this song.

Majmun

BEYONCÉ – Drunk In Love f/Jay Z: 69.891 (+ 1.978)

Hmm, slowing down. Still the third biggest update of the day.

I wonder what effect the Grammy's will have. Depends if it covers over to POP or not. Pop stations already seem to be playing the song.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Unsurprisingly I felt completely opposite. Rihanna sounded so natural on the track that it should have been solo her. It probably would have been a hit already if that were the case as well. I guess we'll see what happens in the future with this song.

I'd be here for a more reggae Rih if she released new stuff like it, just don't thin she shined much on that song. It does go without saying that the song wold have slayed if it was solo Rih though

BEYONCÉ – Drunk In Love f/Jay Z: 69.891 (+ 1.978)

Hmm, slowing down. Still the third biggest update of the day.

I wonder what effect the Grammy's will have. Depends if it covers over to POP or not. Pop stations already seem to be playing the song.
Is it possible that Dark Horse is slowing it down? The two songs (though occupying two separate planets quality-wise) sound similar enough that radio might've decided to go with the less "threatening" bass/trap heavy beat.

I can't listen to it. The moment I get to "She'll eat your heart out/like Jeffrey Dahmer" my dulled synapses remind me that I have taste and should head back to WBLS 107.5 FM in case they decide to play a random Mariah song outside of the holidays.

But it's interesting that all the gerls (Katy, Beyonce, Gags too with "Jewels N' Drugs") hopped the trap-hop train so quickly. Hope the Grammys are enough to propel the only decent one among them into something resembling a hit.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'm still here holding on so tight
To everything that I left behind
I don't care if the world is mine
Cause this is all I know

When I got my back up against the wall
Don't need noone to rescue me
Cause I aint waiting up for no miracle
Yeah tonight I'm running free

Into the bluuuuu-uuuuue

Into the bluuuuu-uuuuue

With nothing else to loooo-ooooose

Into the bluuuuu-uuuuue

iIcYJqwva2ck0.gif

Matt_

Is it possible that Dark Horse is slowing it down? The two songs (though occupying two separate planets quality-wise) sound similar enough that radio might've decided to go with the less "threatening" bass/trap heavy beat.

I can't listen to it. The moment I get to "She'll eat your heart out/like Jeffrey Dahmer" my dulled synapses remind me that I have taste and should head back to WBLS 107.5 FM in case they decide to play a random Mariah song outside of the holidays.

But it's interesting that all the gerls (Katy, Beyonce, Gags too with "Jewels N' Drugs") hopped the trap-hop train so quickly. Hope the Grammys are enough to propel the only decent one among them into something resembling a hit.

I swear that is a Kesha lyric from Cannibal

I swear that is a Kesha lyric from Cannibal
I'll just post the entire flawless interview. A good Mariah interview is rare, but it's a religious experience when it happens.

Love the story about Hero by the way. Gerl really needed another Tommy to keep her fighting for the top spot.

EDIT:

On Glitter: "There was no script, darling...AND IT WAS RELEASED ON 9/11...but there was no script." XD XD

mc-hug-and-cry-o.gif

Mumei

I'll just post the entire flawless interview. A good Mariah interview is rare, but it's a religious experience when it happens.

Love the story about Hero by the way. Gerl really needed another Tommy to keep her fighting for the top spot.

EDIT:

On Glitter: "There was no script, darling...AND IT WAS RELEASED ON 9/11...but there was no script." XD XD

mc-hug-and-cry-o.gif

And the tea on All I Want For Christmas Is You.

I'm kinda pressed Gags fumbled the DWUW slayage. It's a moderate sized hit for her on the radio, and it did well enough on iTunes, she just bungled the release of the video and people lost interest. Of course, the whole Mr Piss thing wasn't the best idea, but in spite of that I think it still could have done better than it did. At this point she needs to just release whatever video she shot and move on to working out Gypsy correctly. Or just end the era.

Yeah, DWUW had some huge potential to snowball into a legit hit if a video release was timed right. I think people forget that Lady Gaga's success usually operates visually above all else, and the success of her songs typically rely a great deal, longevity-wise, on how impactful her videos and performances are. Applause had that kind of snowball effect because of her performances (plus the music video was pouring in fans pretty effectively), but I'd say it was more difficult for the public to embrace DWUW as strongly because it didn't have a music video to drive the visual home. She and Bey are very much video queens. Without a remarkable visual their voices seem too ubiquitous on radio. Not everyone can have a signature vocal tone like Rih, Katy and Adele.

And funny how Rihanna's the only redeeming quality in Forget To Remember You, aside from the random ska bridge where the two of them trade off lines. Other than that this song could have just passed as a She Wolf track.

And the tea on All I Want For Christmas Is You.
"Are there any songs that you wish had been released as singles?"

"YASSS of course. They ALWAYS pick the worst second singles. How do you go from Obsessed to I Want To Know What Love Is? And I know it was a 27-week #1 in Brazil - GO BRAZIL - um...."

omg I can't wait for her career retrospective interviews after she's retired. So much tea waiting to be spilled :p

Matt_

EDIT:

mc-hug-and-cry-o.gif

This interview is great, I really like the interviewer too. Kinda reminds me of an American Alan Carr just with the camp toned down a little

Mumei

"Are there any songs that you wish had been released as singles?"

"YASSS of course. They ALWAYS pick the worst second singles. How do you go from Obsessed to I Want To Know What Love Is? And I know it was a 27-week #1 in Brazil - GO BRAZIL - um...."

omg I can't wait for her career retrospective interviews after she's retired. So much tea waiting to be spilled :p

Well, they went from TMB to Bye Bye and that was probably even worse.

Matt_

WaiT. I was just on Mariah's wiki and

Background information
Born
March 27, 1969 (age 44) or March 27, 1970 (age 43) (sources differ)

How can we not know when she is born!?

Nemesis_

Shakira appears to be continuing the boring trend of self-titled with her new album, coming in March, named Shakira

I&#8217;m so happy that I will soon be sharing my latest album with you all, something I&#8217;ve been working on for over two years now. The work on this album has spanned a very eventful time, with many ups and downs but ultimately, the happiest period in my life thus far, including the birth of my son. I&#8217;ve explored many different directions, worked with many different people, and written many, many demos before arriving at the finished product I will soon be presenting to you.

When the time came to put a name to this album, I realized that it&#8217;s not exactly a thematic album, though love is and always has been one of my main subjects and sources for inspiration. It&#8217;s also not necessarily conceptual, as some of my albums have been in the past.

In the end, what I realized is that throughout the course of creating this body of work, I learned a lot about myself. Though I didn&#8217;t realize it at the time, all the directions I began exploring in the initial phases of recording were helping to pave a path for me of rediscovery. In the end I realized that I will always be a little bit of everything and I don&#8217;t have to choose. I am sometimes extremely sensitive, sometimes upbeat, others dreamy and romantic, and even at times a little melodramatic. (Call it the Caribbean blood.) But always authentic and always sincere.

Most importantly, I am enough. Imperfections and all. So what I am offering you now is just that.

Shakira.
Nothing more. A little bit of rock, a little bit of folk, a little reggae and naturally some dance--but as always, and above all, a lot of heart.

I hope you enjoy.

Shakira

(The new album, Shakira, is out March 25th)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom