• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFPOP |OT8| Don't Forget the self-clockiesT of 'em all_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majmun

Eat the cake, Anna Mae
Eat the cake, Anna Mae

Never knew what it was referring to, until today. Jay Z is such scum. I dislike his verse anyway.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

there's been 44 others?

ie4LZvtfDAVRv.gif

Mumei

Yeah, that lyric is definitely a bit :biblio

I do think it needs a rap verse, just not Jay-Z's

In another thread someone explained that in hiphop "beat it up" (or other variations) was a reference to sex, so this is essentially an oblique reference to them having more drunken sex. I don't know why I didn't think of it; I'm completely oblivious to the argot of hiphop and even I've heard that before. But anyway.

It is still a bit :biblio:, though, just for making specific reference to a specific case of domestic violence, but at least it fits the song that way.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
In another thread someone explained that in hiphop "beat it up" (or other variations) was a reference to sex, so this is essentially an oblique reference to them having more drunken sex. I don't know why I didn't think of it; I'm completely oblivious to the argot of hiphop and even I've heard that before. But anyway.

It is still a bit :biblio:, though, just for making specific reference to a specific case of domestic violence, but at least it fits the song that way.

No, that's definitely correct. The full lyrics are

Catch a charge I might, beat box up like Mike
In '97 I bite, I'm Ike Turner, turn up
Baby know I don't play, now eat the cake, Anna Mae
Said, "Eat the cake, Anna Mae!"

but yeah I feel it's still pretty tasteless to make a reference to domestic violence even when it's wordplay

Majmun

Who In Music Will Be Remembered in 100 Years?

According to NME

It is unlikely, really, that the music of One Direction and Lady Gaga will be taught in 22nd Century schools. It is unlikely, actually, that many artists will be remembered at all.

Suggestions from the NME office include Beyoncé, Kanye West, Led Zeppelin, PJ Harvey, Nick Cave, Dave Grohl, David Bowie, Radiohead, Adele and Justin Timberlake. I'd go for Philip Glass, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Kraftwerk and Kanye West.

inKdqxjvSouzt.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Hew is Nick Cave? And Why would Dave Grohl be remembered?

cory64

No, that's definitely correct. The full lyrics are

but yeah I feel it's still pretty tasteless to make a reference to domestic violence even when it's wordplay
Especially considering his connection to Rihanna.

edit: not them writing off ABBAsus. Pop will be dire in 100 years.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Wow. Amy gave me more life from two albums than most artists give in their entire discographies. Taylor may have deserved best new artist in other years, but not that one.

it does basically seem like they're saying, 'amy winehouse didn't deserve the award because she died and now taylor swift is popular'

which is kind of dumb as hell?

cory64

They're also discrediting Lauryn Hill because she never put out another album? What bored 18-year-old intern compiled this?

royalan

i think everybody in the world noticed it

Weak shade. The both of you.

For people actually livinG through the era, Christina Aguilera was actually a very predictable BNA win.

- She was beautiful, fresh and new
- Amazingly talented (with scores of industry vets singing her praises)
- The album was fire, and she was absolutely SLAYING US radio at the time
- She legitimized our generation's teen pop movement.

Seethe.

xaosslug

Weak shade. The both of you.

For people actually livinG through the era, Christina Aguilera was actually a very predictable BNA win.

- She was beautiful, fresh and new
- Amazingly talented (with scores of industry vets singing her praises)
- The album was fire, and she was absolutely SLAYING US radio at the time
- She legitimized our generation's teen pop movement.

Seethe.

drag it thru broken glass.

Majmun

I was wondering why Jay and Bey are even attending the Grammy's this year

Until I figured out that Jay is nominated for 9 Grammy's
iw3w51wbVRxPT.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom